• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Big B

The only Tales I've played is Phantasia. This 3D stuff will be so different!

Now the eternal question: Do I start Journey first or Tale of Graces.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The only Tales I've played is Phantasia. This 3D stuff will be so different!

Now the eternal question: Do I start Journey first or Tale of Graces.

Well... Journey is 2-3 hours so might as well complete that first. :p

Mengetsu

My friend just picked this up from a local mom & pop store. It looks great I couldn't believe this was on the Wii. Can't wait to play this. Love this series.

Astra

The fact that I've already played through the Wii version makes it hurt less lol. I do really want to play the F content though.

At least you'll have it if/when you get your hands on a PS3.
I do the same thing, though. I don't have a 3DS, but buy several 3DS games. Though my sister has a 3DS, so I can just use hers.

My friend just picked this up from a local mom & pop store. It looks great I couldn't believe this was on the Wii. Can't wait to play this. Love this series.

Your friend did?!? Where was this? I'm sure the graphics on the f version are significantly better than on the wii.

RPGCrazied

Got the GI today in the mail. I guess he liked it. Just said it takes awhile for the story to get going. Expect melodramatic scenes he said. Isn't that the point of a jRPG? :p

I hope Canada handles the code properly.

It's always a gamble with Canadian EB/Gamestop. Most of the time, I don't get pre-order bonuses - even codes. And when I ask about it, I always just get the standard "first come first serve, we ran out" response.

It makes me sad.

The only reason I'm ordering this at EBGames.ca instead of Amazon.ca (which has it $5 cheaper) is for the pre-order bonus code.

I whine way too much about Canada...

Same concern here, also from Canada. If I don't get the code, I'll probably dropkick the thug working the counter before I leave.

Hopefully Namco brings more Tales over, I've got money ready for them already.

Mengetsu

Your friend did?!? Where was this? I'm sure the graphics on the f version are significantly better than on the wii.

In NYC we went to a downtown Brooklyn store around our way. VideogamesNY apparently has it early as well. It does look really good. I would like to play it on the Wii as well if I have the chance.

Astra

Just higher resolution with AA.

AA can make such a huge difference. I never thought much about it until I saw Dolphin screens of games like Xenoblade running at 1080p with AA. Beautiful. Of course it only makes a significant difference with games that have great artwork that is muddied by crap resolution and aliasing.

In NYC we went to a downtown Brooklyn store around our way. VideogamesNY apparently has it early as well. It does look really good. I would like to play it on the Wii as well if I have the chance.

I wish I could get my hands on it early, but there are no small(er) stores around here that'll break the street date. Tuesday isn't so far away, but it's a boring weekend with nothing to play.

Good god how is he still fighting this thing, I left over half an hour ago to get something to eat and when I come back he's still doing the same thing.

Had to resist picking this up from my usual mom & pop store since I already have a GS preorder... just three more days to go, anyhow.

Awesome, he finally beat him.

Don't think I'm a fan of Asbel's voice. Basing this only on what it sounds like and not if it fits the character.

And today I paid off it. Can't wait till Tuesday.

Verelios

He was probably just satisfied to beat that guy. I've never understood why more people don't utilize the back step. Seems like the most important action in any Tales game for a melee character.

See nothing wrong with it. You are too use to hearing the Japanese one.

I've actually watched very little of anything regarding this game. I guess it's the same voice of Japanese Susaku in Code Geass, but that's the only place I can think of where I would hear the Japanese VA. I'm also not one who is usually against dubs. I normally watch a good portion of anime in English unless I'm in the mood.

Just didn't like the way he sounded.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I guess that the accessory glitch has finally been fixed according to that gamefaqs user who uploaded those earlier videos.

But, I don't want to grind for stamp points. ;_;
Aw, fuck, no. I wanted to sail through this playthrough. Pain in the ass.

I'll verify that when I get it.

I just noticed in the stream the guy doesn't seem to be getting any grade when he wins battles, does this game not have a grade shop?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just noticed in the stream the guy doesn't seem to be getting any grade when he wins battles, does this game not have a grade shop?
This game has a grade shop but grade is not distributed after battle. Grade is calculated in a different manner at the end of the game (ex: depending on how many gummies you use, what difficulty you played on, how long your playthrough was, etc.).

Is this game do-able from hardest on the get-go? Or are all those difficulty trophies not stackable anyway.
Difficulty trophies are not stackable. The other part of this question is answered in the OP (and I typed this up. :D):

Q: How do I unlock other difficulties in this game (for trophies. challenge, etc)?
A: To unlock the second-hardest difficulty (“Evil” in the JP version), you must fight 200 battles on Hard. To unlock the hardest difficulty (“Chaos” in the Japanese version), you must fight 300 battles on the second-hardest difficulty (“Evil”). Please note that like in other Tales games, you may switch the difficulty on the fly in the Options Menu in-game.

I played the game on Chaos all the way through after unlocking it (outside of getting the "defeat in 1 minute" trophies, but I reset and replayed the boss battle on Chaos after that) so you don't have to wait until another playthrough to unlock the hardest difficulties.

This game has a grade shop but grade is not distributed after battle. Grade is calculated in a different manner at the end of the game (ex: depending on how many gummies you use, what difficulty you played on, how long your playthrough was, etc.).

So you can't really grind for grade you just have to play the game really well?

Edit: Just looked it up

Waza Count Bonus: obtained from using individual artes 9999 times for all characters, at a rate of 1 Grade per arte

LOL WUT?

Aeana

To be completely correct, it only cares about the difficulty you play on for specific battles. Or only one, I forget.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So you can't really grind for grade you just have to play the game really well?
Right. Here are a few factors:
- Clear Bonus -- [(200 * # playthroughs) + (50 * highest difficulty rank when cleared) - 100]
- Title Bonus -- how many titles each character has at the time of clearing (max of 1048 Grade in the PS3 version if we take into consideration all costumes; 1012 grade for default titles)
- Skill Bonus -- how many skills you've mastered
- 9999 Arte Usage Bonus -- use of artes 9999 times (300 in total, thus 300 points in total)
Edit: Aha, I see you've looked it up so I don't have to see if I remember everything. There is a Gummi Hater factor where you try not to use gummies so much.

So... yeah, you looked it up already, so it totally depends on what you do in-game. Don't sweat it too much, yeah?

I did the plat in one playthrough and you can do it too if you reference a FAQ like Kouli's/the ToGF JP Wiki or the one we put in the OP.

To be completely correct, it only cares about the difficulty you play on for specific battles. Or only one, I forget.
It just calculates the difficulty based on what difficulty that the game was cleared on, you're right.

vall03

also looked into the Grade Shop, looks like my playthrough will be the same with Vesperia

Normal play > Speedrun > 100% playthrough

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are the costumes in here somewhat easy to get? That was one gripe I had with Vesperia, they were realllllly easy to miss.

Or hell, is there even a lot ingame? I heard Xillia made a lot as DLC instead.

FSLink

Banned
Are the costumes in here somewhat easy to get? That was one gripe I had with Vesperia, they were realllllly easy to miss.

Or hell, is there even a lot ingame? I heard Xillia made a lot as DLC instead.

There's only 3 in-game, and you get them by playing a minigame. Rest is DLC.

Aeana

It's too bad this version doesn't have any way to play the DS dungeon game. I really enjoyed that with the Wii version.

I can't believe this is coming out next week. Doesn't feel like it. Always have that feeling when a game I've been wanting to play for a long time comes.

bubnbob

Banned

Difficulty trophies are not stackable. The other part of this question is answered in the OP (and I typed this up. :D):

I played the game on Chaos all the way through after unlocking it (outside of getting the "defeat in 1 minute" trophies, but I reset and replayed the boss battle on Chaos after that) so you don't have to wait until another playthrough to unlock the hardest difficulties.

So those trophies for difficulty, you only have to use it on the final battle?

BasilZero

This will be my first 2012 game, cant wait to play it, was sad to hear when the Wii version was exclusive for the East but now that its coming out on the PS3 , I'm fine with that :)

Cant wait!

So those trophies for difficulty, you only have to use it on the final battle?

Yep. Makes it very easy to get them, since there's no need to play through the game on a selected difficulty as you can beat the final boss on one difficulty, get the trophy and reset.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yep. Makes it very easy to get them, since there's no need to play through the game on a selected difficulty as you can beat the final boss on one difficulty, get the trophy and reset.
Though I'll caution that if you're not used to Chaos difficulty, it might feel harder. I dunno. But yeah, just clear the game on the final boss with that difficulty and the trophy will ding. That's part of why the plat is sort of easy outside of the Gentleman's trophy and the somewhat grindy 9999 Arles Pot Eleth Mixer trophy.

Now that I think about it, even though there was probably a tutorial on it that I didn't read, I don't think I ever knew there was Free Run in the game on my first playthrough. I never used it and opted to use Around-Step for everything.

Now that I think about it, even though there was probably a tutorial on it that I didn't read, I don't think I ever knew there was Free Run in the game on my first playthrough. I never used it and opted to use Around-Step for everything.

I think that happened with me as well. Once I was introduced to the whole side stepping which I think happens pretty early, there wasn't any other form of motion for me. Not even the regular walking up and especially not free run. Though I guess with free run, it could just because it might require pressing certain buttons to free run (no idea, can't even remember how to free run in this game).

Top Bottom