• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Chris R

The combat is quite different from Vesperia. The game doesn't have any TP, and it also doesn't have regular attacks, and you're penalized for free running. I explained it in this post if you want some more detail.

That description actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to find some video to watch to get a real feel for it.

Looks like there was a JPN demo, will there be a NA one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If it makes you feel any better, I'll probably do Chaos for my first run if the unlock is just a 400 battle count (200 Hard -> 200 Evil).
iirc, it was 300 Evil to unlock Chaos. I did most of the difficulty unlocking in one area. I felt that the recommended strategy of doing it with Dark Bottles on Lhant Hill was boring since you were only fighting cannon fodder.

Agreed, however I think that the f side ending is somehow even better. It just did so much right and I felt really great after it while thinking "oh god no it's over for real ;_;"

You most certainly are! There were some bosses that were driving me insane on Evil until I just resorted to grinding to sort them out.
Yeah, they kind of become bullet sponges on Chaos, which is unfortunate (since they don't seem to get extra skills or anything for better difficulty), but dodging and around-stepping properly to get the CC boost are skills that are really enforced on Chaos, so I kinda liked it. It isn't like Xillia where I felt the bulk of it was "Link Mode and level up your shops and everything will be okay". One of the bosses that really really drove me nuts on Chaos, though, was チムピオーンボア. Ugh.

And I really liked the f Arc ending too.

I'm trying to finish that other playthrough I started on my English account months ago right now. It feels good to get back in the rhythm of this game's battle system. It's nice.

weeaboo

Woha at the stream, seamless battle transitions and the ultra-fast paced combat, so good.

I don't give a fuck about the characters and the story, I just want to fight superhard bosses with millions of HP :D

Jubern

Yeah, they kind of become bullet sponges on Chaos, which is unfortunate (since they don't seem to get extra skills or anything for better difficulty)

Wasn't Abyss pretty much the last one to do something like that? I remember a lot of bosses had interesting changes when going up in difficulty in Abyss, but can't say I do for any other after it.
I still remember things like Rid frying your ass with Rising Phoenix>Burning Phoenix as soon as you started the fight on Hard or higher, that was incredible when you aren't prepared for it lol

RPGCrazied

This week is going to be awesome for me. I'll have Tales of Graces F, Alan Wake PC, Darksiders and Transformers: War for Cybertron to play through. :)

Woha at the stream, seamless battle transitions and the ultra-fast paced combat, so good.

I don't give a fuck about the characters and the story, I just want to fight superhard bosses with millions of HP :D

They reduced the modifier value for Chaos difficulty in NA Tales of the Abyss. So you might be looking at a few million less HP.

MarkusRJR

I haven't really been following this game, but what're the chances it'll be out of stock instantly (ala Tales of the Abyss 3DS)? I had to look through heaven and hell to get that game, and while I want to pick up this game too it's not a big priority unless it's gonna be unavailable super quick.

They reduced the modifier value for Chaos difficulty in NA Tales of the Abyss. So you might be looking at a few million less HP.

it was kinda insane in the JPN version ..there was no need to have so much HP in that case and teh strategy to win was the same so that change was for the greater good.
At that point , you either get wiped by the boss attack or can survive it easily and if you do those millions don't matter much

Negator

I haven't really been following this game, but what're the chances it'll be out of stock instantly (ala Tales of the Abyss 3DS)? I had to look through heaven and hell to get that game, and while I want to pick up this game too it's not a big priority unless it's gonna be unavailable super quick.
I would not expect this game to be significantly different in that regard. Get it day 1.

Damn. I guess I won't be playing this game any time soon. My friend shares her PS3 with her brother and she says he recently bought MW3 and is hooked on it. The only other friend I talk to doesn't own a PS3. Woe is me.

I'm probably still going to order it, anyway. But, yeah... so disappointed :( I really wanted to play this soon.

scy

iirc, it was 300 Evil to unlock Chaos. I did most of the difficulty unlocking in one area. I felt that the recommended strategy of doing it with Dark Bottles on Lhant Hill was boring since you were only fighting cannon fodder.

Meh, what's an extra 100 battles. Sounds like fun, I'm in.

Ultratech

Speaking of, how does Graces handle difficulty regarding stats?

I just hope it isn't like the bullshit that was Abyss's difficulty modifiers. (LOL "Let's jack up ALL stats by x!") Mostly since it made certain bosses a lot harder than they should be.

Destiny remake had it multiply stats, but kept Defense the same. Of course, it made up for that by letting you do more damage on Criticals and hitting Weaknesses.

MechaX

I just hope it isn't like the bullshit that was Abyss's difficulty modifiers. (LOL "Let's jack up ALL stats by x!") Mostly since it made certain bosses a lot harder than they should be.

Destiny remake had it multiply stats, but kept Defense the same. Of course, it made up for that by letting you do more damage on Criticals and hitting Weaknesses.

I'm curious about this myself. Vesperia fixed the defense issue, but some of the bosses on Abyss's unknown mode was improperly balanced because the jacked up defense rating made it so you could only do 1 point of damage even with end-game equipment.

pahamrick

What's the likelihood of stuff from the Japanese release being cut for the release here? I was reading on another forum that something called
Blue Earth
would likely be cut.

What's the likelihood of stuff from the Japanese release being cut for the release here? I was reading on another forum that something called
Blue Earth
would likely be cut.

At this point, probably unlikely. The one thing that had the highest possibility of being cut is the Carta minigame which features pretty much references to old Tales game, half of them not localized. But, considering they are voicing the skits, it would seem silly to cut it as it just requires a few more voices and they can let the players not get half the references.

Regarding Blue Earth, which is a counter hi-ougi against the final boss in the future arc, that seems silly to cut. Considering it is already a secret in the game, as you need to press certain button combinations for it, I think cutting it would cause more harm to the game than anything else.

Here's an example of the difficulty modifiers from the japanese wiki:

knhj

And a rough TL:

Difficulty | Simple | Normal | Second | Hard | Evil | Chaos
LV
HP 
Attack
M.Attack (Affects B attacks)
Accuracy
Evasion
Stillness/
Casting Time
Gald
SP Gain

So yeah, no defence boosts at all. Also found it cool that you got more SP and Gald as a reward for playing on higher difficulties.

Hazu

Sorry is the question was already asked but before I start playing it, are there things I should pay attention to or things you can miss during your playthrough?

Astra

Sorry is the question was already asked but before I start playing it, are there things I should pay attention to or things you can miss during your playthrough?

If it's like several other Tales games, there are several sub-events and side-quests you could easily miss. Many are activated by revisiting an old town after significant events in the story. Tales is definitely one of those games where a guide can come in handy. I thought Abyss' guide was great for pointing out all the sub-events, and the conditions to trigger them. I hope Graces gets a guide of similar quality.

Hazu

If it's like several other Tales games, there are several sub-events and side-quests you could easily miss. Many are activated by revisiting an old town after significant events in the story. Tales is definitely one of those games where a guide can come in handy. I thought Abyss' guide was great for pointing out all the sub-events, and the conditions to trigger them. I hope Graces gets a guide of similar quality.

Oh I see. This will be my first Tales of game so I'm not really used to it. Is there any english guide on the Internet?

Dresden

Oh I see. This will be my first Tales of game so I'm not really used to it. Is there any english guide on the Internet?

I'm not a tales vet or anything, but I'd just play through normally the first time, then if you wish, use a guide for a complete playthrough later.

Astra

Gamefaqs probably has a guide for the Japanese version, and all the event triggers are likely the same. Like Dresden said, though, play through normally the first time, then go ahead and use a guide to get all the quests and events the second time around. Great incentive to replay. Of course it's up to you, if you don't want to replay or anything.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gamefaqs probably has a guide for the Japanese version, and all the event triggers are likely the same. Like Dresden said, though, play through normally the first time, then go ahead and use a guide to get all the quests and events the second time around. Great incentive to replay. Of course it's up to you, if you don't want to replay or anything.

Do people not read the OT or something? We have a guide linked there.

So close...

I hope the game will be sold in stores on the 13th instead of simply just shipping on the 13th. Been waiting way too long for this.

It's going to be in stores the 13th.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ohhhhh boy don't even get me started on that minion of the devil.
Sooooo bad, omg. I was so close to lowering the difficulty to Evil until I finally got it (because I'm a very stubborn person).

Fuck that boss, regardless.

Do people not read the OT or something? We have a guide linked there.
I've started to realize that's the case, lol. Yeah, and I found the cache of Kouli's FAQ so if anyone wants it, know that it's cached. You just need to sift through the Japanese, but it's perfectly doable in English.

5savc.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They have the game in stock but they're not selling it until Tuesday. It's just that after what happened with Blazblue, I was afraid I would have to wait another week to get it.
That usually seems to happen with Aksys or NIS games and apparently it's just a distribution issue. Smaller publisher, etc.

I don't think Graces will have the same issues since it's Namco. For all the flak we give Namco, at least they seem to do that right.

Top Bottom