• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

BY2K

Membero Americo
My first playthrough of ToS took me like 80+ hours without sidequests.

It's a pretty long one.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My first playthrough of ToS took me like 80+ hours without sidequests.

It's a pretty long one.
Yes it is. Took me about 64 hours to beat myself. There were a lot of times I was stuck and had to result to internet forums.

I have two day shipping (prime), says it's coming Thursday......

Thats what happened to me, even the trick of changing the shipping method then changing it back to two days to get it to change to release day didn't work. Next time complain in an email to Amazon's CS and they almost always will upgrade it to 1 day shipping for free, thats how I ended up getting it tomorrow.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Already finished both games, so won't pick up, but just wanted to say ToS2 gets a bad rap... but Emil and Marta actually have a really interesting character arch. Like, they actually evolve as people throughout the journey. You don't often find that in these types of games. So, if you can make it through, I enjoyed it despite itself because I thought the characters felt more fleshed out than usual.

I thought I was the only one, I loved emil and marta's relationship.

th4tguy

Thats what happened to me, even the trick of changing the shipping method then changing it back to two days to get it to change to release day didn't work. Next time complain in an email to Amazon's CS and they almost always will upgrade it to 1 day shipping for free, thats how I ended up getting it tomorrow.

I really thought every game pre-ordered was release day guarantee. I've always gotten my items on release day. Kind of surprising to not see it tomorrow.

Ij5rXak.jpg

06JZ501.gif

lol
the same happened in xillia

FSLink

Banned

Was too late for me to complain since I'm getting it Wed.
They gave me a $5 coupon for later use when I contacted them about it though. :v

Seda

Finally getting around to my copy. You first get a screen with the new keyart and then you choose which title to start. Install is required but quick. Default opening music is Starry Heavens. Wait on the screen for a minute and then Soshite Boku ni Dekiru Koto will play. Seems to cycle between those two, the orchestral track from the localized GCN release is seemingly missing. That actually bums me out a little as that's still my favorite one

FSLink

Banned
Finally getting around to my copy. You first get a screen with the new keyart and then you choose which title to start. Install is required but quick. Default opening music is Starry Heavens. Wait on the screen for a minute and then Soshite Boku ni Dekiru Koto will play. Seems to cycle between those two, the orchestral track from the localized GCN release is seemingly missing. That actually bums me out a little as that's still my favorite one

:( God dammit.

Seda

It found my Graces and Xillia save files and gave me all the cameo costumes, so looks like I can confirm what Brazil said, seems you get all those costumes as long as you have either Graces or Xillia save data. I have PS3 Vesperia save files but that didn't seem to matter.

Eusis

It's not like Tales of Destiny or Tales of Eternia either, in this case it was a new Sakuraba piece rather than outsourced to Tommy Tolerico which I could see being an issue whereas the former SEEMS like it'd be clean cut, at a minimum they still have a working relationship with him anyway.

EDIT: Though by the same token if they went that route it should've been in the Japanese version anyway, there's always an allure to seeing what people got in a different country especially when it doesn't mean missing out on what you got anyway.

Seda

so the info about having all 3 ToS OPs is false?

The wiki page says it's there, but I waited at the screen for a while and it only cycled between the two vocal ones. Maybe it's unlocked after a playthrough or something. Or maybe it's random and I'm unlucky not to have it play.

RPGCrazied

It found my Graces and Xillia save files and gave me all the cameo costumes, so looks like I can confirm what Brazil said, seems you get all those costumes as long as you have either Graces or Xillia save data. I have PS3 Vesperia save files but that didn't seem to matter.

Sweet. Nice you get them at the start of the game. Specially if you beat the game many times already, you can use something other than his red garb.

ohlawd

The wiki page says it's there, but I waited at the screen for a while and it only cycled between the two vocal ones. Maybe it's unlocked after a playthrough or something. Or maybe it's random and I'm unlucky not to have it play.
I sure hope so.

I hate to say it again but those two OPs are so freaking inferior to the orchestrated OP it ain't even funny.

Seda

I sure hope so.

I hate to say it again but those two OPs are so freaking inferior to the orchestrated OP it ain't even funny.

I don't think the vocal songs are bad. I just think the orchestrated one fits better with the opening animation, and is more cohesive with the rest of the soundtrack.

Seda

Yeah there's no sound test option yet.

Other small things:

There's no toggle for the menu font.
You have to quit to the PlayStation 3 interface to get back to the title screen. There's no way to do it in game.

FSLink

Banned
Uh...yeah...the framerate difference is OBVIOUS.
Yeah figured as much, it was painfully obvious going from the GC to PS2 back in the day. I shake my head at people thinking it's no big deal when it's apparent they haven't played the PS2 version.

Seda is there a toggle for window styles still? All the screens have type C but HD'd up.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So...

- Disappointing framerate, despite the original version being twice as high, 2 generations earlier.
- Sloppy voice work for the new lines.
- Lacks some HD port features that would be normally expected (selecting a new game without having to quit the game through the XMB.)
- Barely upscalled to 1080p, some if not most texture left like they are.

... :/

FSLink

Banned
So...

- Disappointing framerate, despite the original version being twice as high, 2 generations earlier.
- Lacks some HD port features that would be normally expected (selecting a new game without having to quit the game through the XMB.)

Happy 10th anniversary Symphonia! :/

Seda

Yeah figured as much, it was painfully obvious going from the GC to PS2 back in the day. I shake my head at people thinking it's no big deal when it's apparent they haven't played the PS2 version.

Seda is there a toggle for window styles still? All the screens have type C but HD'd up.

Yeah, there's three different styles, each with their own tint, or you can set your own tint on any - and three different menu 'textures'.

Ultimadrago

So...

yea rip

but it has trophies

lol

So...

Yeah but (some ugly) cameo costumes and more HATS!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So...

It was clear from the get go that this was going to be a low-end port. Having said that, I think we should've expected this considering how Bamco really operates.

FSLink

Banned
It was clear from the get go that this was going to be a low-end port. Having said that, I think we should've expected this considering how Bamco really operates.
Yeah but when it was announced I expected 60fps and PS2 content at a minimum lol. Then upressed textures and any extras secondary. I don't think anyone thought it'd be this bad.

Seda

Heh, I'm occasionally getting juddering frames on the world map too, and this is only outside Martel Temple.

Not sure if judder is the proper term. The character model freezes for just a second, seems to be when enemy tokens load in.

Top Bottom