• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah but when it was announced I expected 60fps and PS2 content at a minimum lol. Then upressed textures and any extras secondary. I don't think anyone thought it'd be this bad.

The PS2 version was 30 fps. Unless they wanted to create a gimmick 60 fps system, they wouldn't want to invest the time to up the frames for the game.

Springy

Disappointing framerate, despite the original version being twice as high, 2 generations earlier.
Though that sucks, I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep through a generation between the GC and PS3.

I suppose miraculous patch hope is borderline delusion on my part?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Heh, I'm occasionally getting juddering frames on the world map too, and this is only outside Martel Temple.

Not sure if judder is the proper term. The character model freezes for just a second, seems to be when enemy tokens load in.

Yeah. It's because the engine was primarily made for GC. It's not optimized for PS2 at all hence all the problems remaining the same.

FSLink

Banned
The PS2 version was 30 fps. Unless they wanted to create a gimmick 60 fps system, they wouldn't want to invest the time to up the frames for the game.
Figured at the time they'd put some effort in for the anniversary release. Then by the Japanese release I was reminded lol Bamco.

So...

- Disappointing framerate, despite the original version being twice as high, 2 generations earlier.
- Sloppy voice work for the new lines.
- Lacks some HD port features that would be normally expected (selecting a new game without having to quit the game through the XMB.)
- Barely upscalled to 1080p, some if not most texture left like they are.

... :/

Wow, that's..... disappointing to hear. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BUY TOMORROW!? Thief and Castlevania both got mostly meh reviews, and if Namco shit the bed on Symphonia, what am I to do? I'm at the end of Lightning Returns, and I can't wait for it to be over.

kewlmyc

You guys sure know how to deflate the hype. It's already shipping to me, so I guess I'll enjoy it regardless since I haven't played the game yet.

Sigh, at least RE4 PC is coming out this week....

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So...

- Disappointing framerate, despite the original version being twice as high, 2 generations earlier.
- Lacks some HD port features that would be normally expected (selecting a new game without having to quit the game through the XMB.)

PSN says 720p...

RPGCrazied

From what I saw you don't get the box with the top cover that comes off to reveal the contents. Its more like a slip case for EU. It has some art on one side. Plus you don't get the steelbook or art booklet, and just a 2 disc mp3 discs.

It's 720p, not only does the back of the box say that, it's pretty obvious. Lots of aliasing.

Can't look any worse than the gamecube/PS2 versions on an HD TV.

Vamphuntr

So...

I'm not sure what else you expected. People expecting something on the level of FFX-HD or some Sony HD collections were setting the bar a bit high. TOS was super popular on the GCN but that was like 10 years ago. I don't think they really had a budget to do an enhanced remake since it's obvious it won't sell really well. I mean I think it was a bit too much to ask them to improve/redo the textures at a higher resolution for a port.

This pack in is a chance for fans to get both games on PS3 and new tales of fans to try the game. That's it.

Moreover, it's not the first time a Tales of port is having issues. The PS2 version of Symphonia (which is apparently used here) had a lower framerate and a bit worse graphics. The 3DS port of Abyss ran at half the framerate of the original and they didn't even bother to update the pictures used in battles (by that I mean the battle menu icons, the new ad skill learned tex and so on) so they all appear blurry because of the change of resolution. The PS3 version of Vesperia also ran at a lower version than the 360 version.

Seda

Is it still fun to play, or does it just shit on your fond memories of the original?

Honestly, the resolution and textures don't bother me much. The battle framerate is definitely the hardest aspect to swallow.

My favorite part about the game, as I've said before, is the dungeon design and music - both unaffected by age.

Vazra

Is it still fun to play, or does it just shit on your fond memories of the original?

30 FPS
Took out the outlines which clearly they could have given us the choice for it
Localization Errors
Waste of use of the voice actors when they could have recorded the skits.
Etc
Weakest up port in the generation probably.

FSLink

Banned
Moreover, it's not the first time a Tales of port is having issues. The PS2 version of Symphonia (which is apparently used here) had a lower framerate and a bit worse graphics. The 3DS port of Abyss ran at half the framerate of the original and they didn't even bother to update the pictures used in battles (by that I mean the battle menu icons, the new ad skill learned tex and so on) so they all appear blurry because of the change of resolution. The PS3 version of Vesperia also ran at a lower version than the 360 version.
I think most people thought Abyss 3DS was just an okay port. The framerate was also a disappointment there and the 3D implementation is halfassed but it fixed the godawful loading. Vesperia PS3 luckily still looks decent due to the celshading despite the lower resolution and the added content while mostly insignificant is pretty fun.

Phantasia GBA is probably my least liked port. Then they shit on it further with an awful localization job.

RPGCrazied

What kind of TV are you playing on Seda? Mine is only 32", so the jaggies should be kept at a minimum, plus I use 0 sharpness and sit not close to the TV.

RangerBAD

Not even. That had game breaking bugs.

Oh nevermind, I thought you were saying this port job was the same as SIlent HIll.

Yeah, I'm not defending this port or attacking it. Just felt "weakest" wasn't entirely accurate considering something like Silent Hill since it was unplayable.

Soriku

So...

Out of all of those, framerate is the only major issue. If you're OK with 30 FPS and are interested in ToS, there's no reason not to pick this up.

BY2K

Membero Americo
My PS2 games look just dandy on my Samsung 40 inch HDTV kthx. GC games probably look even better.

Hell no, when playing this on my 32' 720p TV on my Wii, the game was blurry was fuck. The outlines of the character made it look like the image had ghosting image.

Voror

Shame about all the flaws with this, but I'm still picking up the CE. My sister is probably more psyched about it than me actually since she loves Symphonia and was even playing our GC copy recently to brush up a bit. I'm curious if she'll pick up on the FPS difference.

ohlawd

Hell no, when playing this on my 32' 720p TV on my Wii, the game was blurry was fuck. The outlines of the character made it look like the image had ghosting image.
My TV was made with special sauce :3

and get this, that's using composites. When I start using dem components..

My PS2 games look just dandy on my Samsung 40 inch HDTV kthx. GC games probably look even better.

Even with component cables ps2 games look pretty crappy on a HDTV and game cube games actually end up looking as bad if not considerably worse.

They get really blurry and distorted to a point that it is FAR more distracting and offputting then going from 60fps to 30fps. I am saying that is as a massive collector of ps2 era JRPG's (Own every one released in the US outside of missing a copy of Grandia Xtreme) and I still play them on a very frequent basis.

You take just about any JRPG from the ps2, make it output in 720 or 1080p without adding any major graphical errors and keep it 30fps or above and I will rebuy it without a second thought. ToS HD hits all of those notes while adding extra things from the ps2 version and as such I am genuinely excited to add it to my collection so when I replay symphonia it doesn't look like someone vomited all over my pricy TV.

Vazra

iGyh70ovv2QsB.png

i6KaEputbQOX2.png

i17MMkFvmu4Cy.png

ibic1kENMEGMPa.png
Dolphin shots of 2 for comparisons sake

Mistake

Gold Member
I tried using component with my PS2, and it looked awful, blocks everywhere. Composite is good enough for me. Someday I'll try PS2 component on a crt, maybe it just doesn't like flat screens

finalflame

So are all the CEs sold out now, or have they not been put up for sale? :/ Amazon has the "Notify me when this item becomes available" button, so I'm hopeful.

Top Bottom