• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The overall design of Gaius is amazing. I think out of all the characters I've seen throughout the series, he's one of the best.

kiryogi

Banned
jiggle said:
i think i prefer Production I.G
if only for the faces

the animation does look good though
love the beginning part on the mountain

I absolutely love the pan in the beginning, not sure how I feel about the rest of the OP tho. Still great work for UFOtable.

kayos90 said:
The overall design of Gaius is amazing. I think out of all the characters I've seen throughout the series, he's one of the best.

Not bad I guess. He seems like typical Okumura(IE Ratatosk) to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, the mountain stuff at the beginning is really good. I'm not too familiar with Ufotable (since the only stuff I've experienced from them are the ToS OVA, God Eater Burst OP, Sonic X), but the way they do pans like that is really nice imo.

I still have to see the OPs on my TV to judge if they're really good or not, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AlphaDragoon said:
Jude 3 is pretty awesome, as is Milla 1. The others...eh.
My bf had Jude 3 playing almost nonstop for a while last night.
KuGsj.gif
He generally likes Sakuraba's buttrock, though.

I like Jude 3, and I think it's a little different from Sakuraba's normal stuff, but I like Milla's first battle theme a little more.

Datschge

kiryogi said:
Wait he is? I thought it was Fujishima/inomata for mains and Okumura for side chars as per usual?
Gaius is one of the "main" chars though, he is the one in the upper right corner on the cover.

Zeth

This game looks amazing. I wish I knew Japanese :( I'd import in a second. Guess I can only hope for an NA release...

Zeth said:
This game looks amazing. I wish I knew Japanese :( I'd import in a second. Guess I can only hope for an NA release...
well it all start with a single step .. i started Rpgs in japanese with grandia 3 and then continued ..

the tales of are bad choices to begin by the way ( because they have lot of special words akin to the each game lore and the amount of text is huge overall.

and i continued with various titles across the years .. my last rpg completed in japanese was tales of vesperia ... ( Also done in japanese are Tales of rebirth & Tales of Destiny 2 )

That's why i felt like i could give another shoot and challenge my languages and gaming skills with Xillia ... The most difficult is the first RPg , the others are just fun once you GET IT..

BUt yeah i agree Tales of Xillia is not a game you should get unless you know enough japanese...

Nix

Banned
R_thanatos said:
well it all start with a single step .. i started Rpgs in japanese with grandia 3 and then continued ..

the tales of are bad choices to begin by the way ( because they have lot of special words akin to the each game lore and the amount of text is huge overall.

and i continued with various titles across the years .. my last rpg completed in japanese was tales of vesperia ... ( Also done in japanese are Tales of rebirth & Tales of Destiny 2 )

That's why i felt like i could give another shoot and challenge my languages and gaming skills with Xillia ... The most difficult is the first RPg , the others are just fun once you GET IT..

BUt yeah i agree Tales of Xillia is not a game you should get unless you know enough japanese...
...?
I played the entirety of Graces in Japanese, when I only understood, maybe the minimum of what I self-taught myself; basic sentence structures and phrases. However, over the course of the game, as you may know if you frequently play modern Tales (This shit started like, this generation) there's usually one over-arching theme, and they shove it down your throat, and for 60 hours, at maybe, 5 hour spurts, it goes down like molasses; slow and unnapeassing.

Learn that theme, the phrases that go with it, and you're pretty much set story wise. What's hard are the fucking quests, and directions. I just take it by ear. By the time I had to beat the game I was level 100 though =/.

kiryogi

Banned
I don't think Tales is that bad at all. I think its one of the easier ones to start off with. Now you want to talk suck? Fire Emblem GC was absolutely complex heaven.

Nix said:
...?
I played the entirety of Graces in Japanese, when I only understood, maybe the minimum of what I self-taught myself; basic sentence structures and phrases. However, over the course of the game, as you may know if you frequently play modern Tales (This shit started like, this generation) there's usually one over-arching theme, and they shove it down your throat, and for 60 hours, at maybe, 5 hour spurts, it goes down like molasses; slow and unnapeassing.

Learn that theme, the phrases that go with it, and you're pretty much set story wise. What's hard are the fucking quests, and directions. I just take it by ear. By the time I had to beat the game I was level 100 though =/.

i was talking about the fact that you have to jump with one game if you want to play such games in japanese properly ( in insist on properly ). i i don't think playing a TAles of games without understanding what's going on PROPERLY is a good thing. There are plenty of other rpgs shorter and without the amount of text a tales of has ..

If you want to play and follow the dot ..well good for you . i feel that tales of games shouldn't be played that way .. that's why i said that if he wanted to play games like these he should first start with something else, smaller. You're self taught , i am too ..but starting with Xillia is the best way to get burned ( and lost ) AND regret it later .

matmanx1

Kagari said:

Not sure if it's as iconic as the Lightning Edition box was but the Tales artwork on the cover is still really nice. I'll certainly be glad to to have it finally, that's for sure.

Aeana

I looked on my page. I could have sworn it used to say it would ship out September 8, 2011 somewhere on the order details page. Now it has no date anywhere. And the "cancel" button is still there at the top but I haven't tried clicking it. I went ahead and sent a message to their support. The reason why I am concerned is because I had an issue with my bank a little while ago and it may have affected this.

Shouta

Of course damn Japan Post delivers it and takes it back because I'm not home grrr. Hopefully my request to have it resent tonight goes through.

Thoraxes

Man, i'm glad someone gave Sakuraba new soundbanks.

He's definitely using higher quality patches this time around, and his mix and EQ is a lot clearer than previous games he's worked on.

I need to see his studio.

Also, I can see why they did a Star Driver tie-in with DLC now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bah, I should've ordered the Asian version from PA when it was available, it's too late for me to play now, damnit.

Kyon

Banned
hope to get mine in a week or two. add me on PSN if ya'll wanna talk about Tales or RPGs :D

PSN: Kyo899

The loading times in and out of battle are sooooo fast and the battle system itself plays much faster than Vesperia. Really loving what I'm seeing.

kiryogi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
The loading times in and out of battle are sooooo fast and the battle system itself plays much faster than Vesperia. Really loving what I'm seeing.

Load times into battle seem to vary like Vesperia. IE if you haven't been in battle for awhile after town or something, the first battle transition is a little slow. But it seems after caching/loading, every other battle is instant. I wish the transitions were as clean and smooth as TD/Graces though.

Mr.Fresh

Man I wanna play this and graces f so bad... I don't have the time or patience to learn Japanese though. I hope graces f comes to NA in February or around then.

kiryogi said:
Load times into battle seem to vary like Vesperia. IE if you haven't been in battle for awhile after town or something, the first battle transition is a little slow. But it seems after caching/loading, every other battle is instant. I wish the transitions were as clean and smooth as TD/Graces though.
I see, I just started following the stream and I was actually thinking it was as fast as any TD game. Oh well. Battle system though seems faster doesn't it? Vesperia itself was slower than Abyss IMO so glad to see they're moving on from Abyss now.

Why again am I not playing this?!

EDIT: The world map also looks freaking huuuge. Was Graces f this open?

kiryogi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I see, I just started following the stream and I was actually thinking it was as fast as any TD game. Oh well. Battle system though seems faster doesn't it? Vesperia itself was slower than Abyss IMO so glad to see they're moving on from Abyss now.

Why again am I not playing this?!

Yes, the first noted improvement is that it's definitely faster than Vesperia.

kiryogi

Banned
Also since no one's mentioned yet. This will be the first Team Symhponia title with an utter lack of unlockable costumes in game. Namdai's totally nickel and diming us now. D: The count for costumes in game so far confirmed are 2. One for Jude and one for Milla. Fuuuuuuuck.

Still, going to get a 5000y psn card for DLC.

kiryogi said:
Also since no one's mentioned yet. This will be the first Team Symhponia title with an utter lack of unlockable costumes in game. Namdai's totally nickel and diming us now. D: The count for costumes in game so far confirmed are 2. One for Jude and one for Milla. Fuuuuuuuck.

Still, going to get a 5000y psn card for DLC.
Wow, so now you have actually pay for ANY costumes? No thanks Scamco.

Top Bottom