• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

BY2K

Membero Americo
For me it's all about Alvin with aviator glasses and sideburns.

He's the Elvis of the Tales universe. Minus the hip movements.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why people hating on Ivar? I really like him so far, and I just arrived at Chapter 2.

Are you serious? How can you like him? I don't normally hate vg characters but Ivar for me is the worst character of any fictional work ever.

He infuriates me.

PKrockin

For me it's all about Alvin with aviator glasses and sideburns.

He's the Elvis of the Tales universe. Minus the hip movements.

Aviators on Alvin is a no-brainer, really.

I still haven't redeemed my Limited Edition voucher for the Jude and Milla costumes. Are there any limitations on when/how many times you can use it?

I still haven't redeemed my Limited Edition voucher for the Jude and Milla costumes. Are there any limitations on when/how many times you can use it?

Within the game itself? Zero.

They are DLC items that you redeem in your items menu and will always show up in that tab regardless of how many playthroughs you do.

All the dlc items are put into any file you make new or old. Once you use a costume item you have it for the rest of the game

PKrockin

Within the game itself? Zero.

They are DLC items that you redeem in your items menu and will always show up in that tab regardless of how many playthroughs you do.

Great, thanks. I remembered there being some kind of free single-use DLC in Graces so I wanted to be absolutely sure.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are you serious? How can you like him? I don't normally hate vg characters but Ivar for me is the worst character of any fictional work ever.

He infuriates me.

Yeah, he supposed to be impatience, clueless, annoying and obnoxious character, at same time he is supposed to be comedy relief character as well.

When I first met Ivar, his animations and mannerisms instantly made me think, "yeah, it's Japanese alright". Up until now, I've found the Japanese style mannerisms pretty lax until I met Ivar. Made me a crack a smile, though. Will he pop up often? I may find his appearances quite entertaining...

Finalow

is the sidequest about those 23 dark orbs and the transcendental ring related to Xillia 2? I mean
after you beat the bosses of the quest those 2 shrine maidens say something about a "we are the lord of the underworld sealed by Maxwell".
or maybe it's just related to the lore of the series.

Bladenic

that's good to hear. Also, the graphics -_-

Vesperia's visuals shits all over this. But as long as the game is fun it's okay.

Vesperia is much prettier yes, but I still think Xillia was pretty. There were some nice looking towns and areas and the battle effects were gorgeous as always.

PKrockin

When I first met Ivar, his animations and mannerisms instantly made me think, "yeah, it's Japanese alright". Up until now, I've found the Japanese style mannerisms pretty lax until I met Ivar. Made me a crack a smile, though. Will he pop up often? I may find his appearances quite entertaining...

*pulls eyelid down and sticks tongue out* NYEEEH

Ivar's annoying but a little amusing.

Nowhere near as good as these guys though.

itLtpTH.png

Christhor

Just played the game for a couple of hours. It's pretty fun so far. Coming straight from Atelier Ayesha, it's pretty weird to play a game that actually has voice acting.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I was playing this game for a bit, and my older sister decided to watch some of it with me. After seeing the characters interact for a bit (and my explaining what Milla is), she came to the conclusion, "Well, Milla's nice and all, but she'd be more interesting if she were less Lucia and more Lina Inverse," ;P

Maledict

Wonder if anyone has any advice for a Tales newbie whose really struggling with the combat inthe game.

It's so much faster than a normal RPG, and working out which abilities are actually best is really difficult given you don't get to see any info outside of combat. Currently I'm still working way through chapter 1, and still just controlling Jude linked to an AI partner. Is it normal to only control one character?

Is there anything I should really be doing? I'm finding combat 'okay' on normal difficulty but I'm clearly not using the system to its full extent at all.

Shengar

i just wish... idk, i mean western games tend to have decent enough character models of recent, like mass effect and skyrim, and what not.... or at the very least things are consistent.

Tales games, its just stupid obvious that, hey, that guy is clearly gonna join your party, or is a boss fight.

theres gotta be some middle ground :D
I know what you feel. Design in JRPGs tend to ber overly grand or too stand out compared to the rest of the world. There is recent JRPG that exactly have a design direction like you wished to be though: Fire Emblem Awakening. Sure the different face still stand out, not overly different with NPC of the same class. Maybe it because the re-class thing and the characters being an army so they have basic generic model to down with, but it still consistent in the end. I give kudos to Yuusuke Kozaki for that

But what matters me more is not the design being too overtly stand out. Lack of small detail like not having sword seath while you character supposed to carry one bothers me more all the time lol.

MilkBeard

For all those people complaining about graphics...well, the beauty of Xillia lies in it's art style and towns. Actually it's funny, the first field you cross and Hamil are the (IMO) ugliest areas in the game.
After that, fields look more consistent, and personally, I think all the towns/cities are quite beautiful simply because of the art direction. You can tell they are using really outdated tech though, especially if you look at the lighting/shadows and some textures literally do look like PS2 textures, or actually, it reminds me of first gen Dreamcast lighting/textures in some places.

Still, I think the game has beauty to it, but it's not in the advanced tech. Either way, that's something about Tales games that I like: they stay consistently 'behind the curve' of almost every other major series in terms of tech, but yet, Tales games are still hell of a lot of fun to play, and can thrive off of selling much less while other series *cough* Resident Evil 6 *cough* sell millions, but it's still not enough to justify the budget. I'm totally cool with that. In fact I'd prefer if more developers do what Bamco does with Tales.

EDIT:

i just wish... idk, i mean western games tend to have decent enough character models of recent, like mass effect and skyrim, and what not.... or at the very least things are consistent.

Tales games, its just stupid obvious that, hey, that guy is clearly gonna join your party, or is a boss fight.

theres gotta be some middle ground :D

You're comparing games that have much bigger budgets to Tales and wondering why Tales doesn't uphold the standards of those games?

Honestly, if I had a choice, I'd rather have what Tales games give, i.e. lots of character dialogue/anime skits/etc. than giving up that stuff just so Tales can look prettier or seem 'more consistent.' There isn't really going to be a balance unless it starts selling more copies, or they make a cut somewhere else.

Part of the problem with this gen, IMO, is that developers got too caught up in 'looking good' instead of playing well. Then what happens is that we get a very pretty game that is full of QTEs. Even those developers had to make cuts, and they made the cuts in gameplay.

Shengar

EDIT:

You're comparing games that have much bigger budgets to Tales and wondering why Tales doesn't uphold the standards of those games?

Honestly, if I had a choice, I'd rather have what Tales games give, i.e. lots of character dialogue/anime skits/etc. than giving up that stuff just so Tales can look prettier or seem 'more consistent.' There isn't really going to be a balance unless it starts selling more copies, or they make a cut somewhere else.

Part of the problem with this gen, IMO, is that developers got too caught up in 'looking good' instead of playing well. Then what happens is that we get a very pretty game that is full of QTEs. Even those developers had to make cuts, and they made the cuts in gameplay.
I think that comparison he made is more on the aesthetic design level rather than technical graphic. Which I think, doesn't have anything to do with budget if they could make the characters look less grandeur or they could opt in for more named NPC that share similar design with the PC.

I'm still early on in Hamil but I can't seem to get the battle system down (even though I've played most of the past Tales games minus Graces).

Anyway, my problem is the link meter on the left hand side sometimes shoots up really fast while linked and other times it never reaches the next level with the flashing X and stays at the same place sometimes even dropping on the next battle without using a linked chain. What am I doing wrong?

Also I like the battle system but finding I don't have as much control as in Vesperia or Symphonia. There's almost too much to it to the point where its becomes bloated? Like perfect dodging then countering to get more AC, changing links in middle of fights depending on guard break, heal etc, using artes before normal attacks or using normal attacks before artes, worrying about your AC number and trying to increase it with dodging etc. there's so much to it but its so damn complicated now as a result.

Yeah the depth may be nice but I'm not using half of this stuff simply because there's loads of it to take in to the point its a bit off putting and by the time I try and implement any of this stuff into a battle the fight is nearly over anyway? All I'm doing is basically using normal attacks and artes. Not really doing any of the other stuff apart from linking and using that meter on the left occasionally.

I loved chaining artes from normal attacks in Vesperia why can't I just do that?

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game and the battle system is still fun but I feel they might have added too much to it?

Maybe its because I'm too early in the game and it will get easier to master the battle system but I was expecting it to be a bit more I dunno easier to grasp and get into, especially having played past Tales games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't believe the existence of another world surprised me as much as it did. Every Tales game has done something similar, but for some reason it never, ever crossed my mind that this one would follow suit.

Holmes

Sithlord77, your chain gauge will fill up faster if you do combos with your linked partner. Just attacking alone will fill it slowly. And your position will stay in place till the next battle if it's flashing, otherwise it's resets to the bottom of the current segment.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ugh, I think I screwed up the Carla sidequest. I'm about to reach chapter 4 since I can't go back to any previous areas at the moment, so I guess I'll do it on my next playthrough.

Also, starting to appreciate the different cutscenes for Milla's story right now. The ones in the main story and side events are happening a bit more compared to the beginning. A bit amusing that it took
Milla to eavesdrop on Leia and Agria to discover that Jude likes Milla and that Leia likes Jude (unless she was oblivious when Agria said that Leia was into Jude)

Sithlord77, your chain gauge will fill up faster if you do combos with your linked partner. Just attacking alone will fill it slowly. And your position will stay in place till the next battle if it's flashing, otherwise it's resets to the bottom of the current segment.

How do you do combos with your partner? Just by pressing X next to the enemy a few times? While linked Does your linked partner attack the same enemy as you?

Basically how do you make him combo with you? Just by linking? I feel the tutorials don't explain things very well.

I gotta say, it is so much fun playing as Rowen when you have the right skills. I love how a magic circle circles around you in this game and gets bigger the closer you are to completing the spell (as apposed to Graces F's plain old meter).

Why people hating on Ivar? I really like him so far, and I just arrived at Chapter 2.

You're kind of supposed to hate him. He's stuck-up, he's arrogant, and doesn't know when to back off.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
beat the game today...the final battles were a little tedious because
Giaus
was spamming the shit out his mystic arte and it only got worse when he joined up with
Muzet

it was nice to see how everyone was doing after the game though was I the only one who went WTF when
it shows Elize's prologue and Teepo was DEAD!? and they gave no reason why it happened!! one day he's like BOZONGAS!!! the next...lifeless and sitting in a drawer!!!

vall03

The more I play as Jude, the more I'm liking his fighting style. Hes probably my favorite brawler type character in the Tales series, but maybe because of the battle system in Xillia. From other games, didn't play much as Sophie in Graces and also not a fan of Senel in Legendia. Also didn't play as Regal in Symphonia since I only played as Lloyd. But before Jude, I guess I liked Farah and Hermanas fighting styles too.

Okay so I'm currently stuck at
the Bermia Gorge boss.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm currently using Milla, Elise, and Rowan. Should I swap out Milla for Alvin or something?

Holmes

How do you do combos with your partner? Just by pressing X next to the enemy a few times? While linked Does your linked partner attack the same enemy as you?

Basically how do you make him combo with you? Just by linking? I feel the tutorials don't explain things very well.
The tutorial tells you that your linked partner will flank the enemy that you're currently targeting, so just wait for them to get into place and then wail on the enemy. Also change your characters' strategies to "Link Often" if you want them to link up and fill the gauge faster.

Finalow

The most obivious answer is raise your accessory shop to I think the high 90s.

It's also in the
mountains behind Milla's house.
thanks. my accessory shop is around 50 so it would get a lot of time for that, guess I'm going to search in that dungeon again.

MogCakes

I'm playing on moderate difficulty and have not bought any equipment from the shops (or anything at all, for that matter, except a couple pairs of boots), and I have little trouble dispatching mobs and bosses alike. Is this normal? Currently at lv27, arrived in
Xian Du
. Hard mode is much the same except enemies have more HP. Originally I was just being stingy and holding out for finding weapons/armor through chests, but the armor I've found have been few and far between (and no weapons so far). On the bright side my gald is through the roof and I'm swimming in items.

Lastly, a question about the AI: is it possible to make the AI more active than doing something and then being idle for a few seconds? Jude and Alvin do okay as AI thanks to their melee slant, but casters have a very bad habit of running away from a pack of enemies, doing a taunt/pose, and then standing there idly for a few seconds, and they do this often regardless of settings. It seems to have something to do with the link system; for example, if I have Elize and Leia in a link, they'll spend most of their time running away or casting unneeded heal spells.

So should I just always wait to level up shops until they have a x3?

Also, any good suggestions on setting character strategies? It seems like my characters just always quickly blow their TP until they get down to whatever I set them to conserve and then just sit there at that level

Tohsaka

Finally finished cleaning up all the side-quests, I think I'm going to finally finish my Milla playthrough tomorrow. I may wait to do a second run as Jude to get the platinum trophy since I'm building up a backlog, which I try to make a point of never doing.

I returned to Fenmont and... well, let's say I'm severely underleveled. :( Time to stop doing Auto Lilium Orb and manually get Fire Guard...

It also doesn't help that my PS3 controllers suck. For some reason, the dpad and L1 press randomly. It isn't always so bad in the games I play, but in this game, it is completely frustrating. Oddly, the problem appeared in both my controllers simultaneously a while back. Maybe this game will motivate me to get a new controller...

So should I just always wait to level up shops until they have a x3?

Also, any good suggestions on setting character strategies? It seems like my characters just always quickly blow their TP until they get down to whatever I set them to conserve and then just sit there at that level

I tgink the x3 happens too rarely to pursue it. However, I believe the materials change every X number of fights, so you could do X fights and see each time.

LuuKyK

Uhm, I cant be the only one weirded out by Rowen and Alvin fighting for Elizes love. I mean, wtf... I dont even know what to say about that. Very creepy.

Also, fuck Ivar. For now at least. Cant stand him.

lmao at the bondage skit, this is a bit much, haha.

:lol Thats one of my early favorites. :p

Top Bottom