• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
is it reaaaally a limitation of hardware though? ps3 has had good looking games i think lol.

And when this game has characters and objects popping in left and right, and textures look last gen and still have random framerate drops... it does kinda bum one out.

Xillia is definitely no technical feat in terms of visuals. I'm not saying it is. In fact, it is very dated. However, I think you make it sound like some of the graphical/visual problems that you see in the game lie solely with Xillia. it doesn't.

Xillia is definitely no technical feat in terms of visuals. I'm not saying it is. In fact, it is very dated. However, I think you make it sound like some of the graphical/visual problems that you see in the game lie solely with Xillia. it doesn't.

idk... there are dated looking games on ps3... but this is a badly ported ps2 HD remaster territory at times.

I guess most games out of japan on consoles do still kinda look like ps2 games, but its not like namco bandai is a small niche studio.

kayos90

idk... there are dated looking games on ps3... but this is a badly ported ps2 HD remaster territory at times.

I guess most games out of japan on consoles do still kinda look like ps2 games, but its not like namco bandai is a small niche studio.

I feel like you're expecting some AAA production values out of this series/game.

Tales games always sell in small numbers, the budget simply isn't there for much more graphically. Namco Bandai isn't niche but the Tales series is.

PKrockin

is it reaaaally a limitation of hardware though? ps3 has had good looking games i think lol.

And when this game has characters and objects popping in left and right, and textures look last gen and still have random framerate drops... it does kinda bum one out.

I'd rather have NPCs popping in than longer load times, honestly.

kayos90

Cycle of Tales games

Boys buy Tales games --> Girls watch boys play Tales games --> Girls fall in love with Tales game characters and story --> Girls use money to buy hilariously overpriced Tales merchandise --> Developers rake in more money from merchandise than games --> Developers use money to create more Tales games with characters that appeal to girls and combat that appeals to boys --> Repeat from the beginning

i haven't played the game (it has arrived at my home in milan, i'm in my summer house in souther italy) but surely as far as graphic is concerned it can't be worse than graces f, no? i expect xillia to be on that level more or less.. nay?

kayos90

I don't even think girls can love a tales story lol.

besides figurines and nendroids and w/e typical stuff, what kind of tales merch are there?

Would you believe me if I told you a majority of the profits from the Tales franchise is actually goods and products than the games?

Would you believe me if I told you a majority of the profits from the Tales franchise is actually goods and products than the games?

sure. characters are definitely more important than story or world.

it actually does hurt the game somewhat when pretty much all npcs look super dull and 'normal' compare to your circus troupe

PKrockin

KCOyjIp.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't even think girls can love a tales story lol.

besides figurines and nendroids and w/e typical stuff, what kind of tales merch are there?
All kinds of shit. Scrunchies, nail files, clear files, shirts, jewellery, fans, cheering sets, lanyards, cutlery (not even kidding; they sell plates, cups, whathaveyou), food, cushions, the thingys that look like paperclips, rubber straps, Tales of Magazines, TOWELS, etc.

kayos90

All kinds of shit. Scrunchies, nail files, clear files, shirts, jewellery, fans, cheering sets, lanyards, cutlery (not even kidding; they sell plates, cups, whathaveyou), food, cushions, the thingys that look like paperclips, rubber straps, Tales of Magazines, TOWELS, etc.

Let's not forget those unofficial doujins.

Maledict

I took a look athe costumes available in the EU - most seem fairly bad to be honest. Jude's butler outfit looks okay, and I have to admit to being tempted by Alvin's swimwear costume...

Did someone say the battle music changes with the DLC costumes?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think we just need a pic of that Tales store in Japan. So much random stuff in those shots.
Good thinking.

c20111028_to_02_cs1w1z3rao.jpg

It opened in 2011. :V

There's another one in Fukuoka or something. LadyUsada has pics of that and it's full of random nonsense.

Edit. Oh Christ

tumblr_mah0nwrpoe1rcjaija6.jpg

I collect Genso Suikoden merchandise, but this is just straight-up ridiculous.

i just wish... idk, i mean western games tend to have decent enough character models of recent, like mass effect and skyrim, and what not.... or at the very least things are consistent.

Tales games, its just stupid obvious that, hey, that guy is clearly gonna join your party, or is a boss fight.

theres gotta be some middle ground :D

kayos90

i just wish... idk, i mean western games tend to have decent enough character models of recent, like mass effect and skyrim, and what not.... or at the very least things are consistent.

Tales games, its just stupid obvious that, hey, that guy is clearly gonna join your party, or is a boss fight.

Uh.... not sure how that's any different for ME.....

Tohsaka

You really think Skyrim had good character models? Bethesda is pretty much the worst at that in terms of WRPGs.

PKrockin

Good thinking.

http://abload.de/img/c20111028_to_02_cs1w1z3rao.jpg[img][/indent]

There's another one in Fukuoka or something. [url=http://ladyusada.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/new-tales-of-shop-in-fukuoka/]LadyUsada[/url] has pics of that and it's full of random nonsense.

Edit. [I]Oh Christ[/I]

[indent][img]http://abload.de/img/tumblr_mah0nwrpoe1rcjaija6.jpg[img][/indent]

I collect Genso Suikoden merchandise, but this is just straight-up [I]ridiculous[/I].[/QUOTE]

Where was all this stuff when I visited Japan? All I found was some Tales of the Abyss manga. At least I got some Studio Ghibli stuff for souvenirs.

Not that I would buy a damn cutlery set or pillow, but I'm sure I would have found something decent.​

Finalow

Good thinking.

c20111028_to_02_cs1w1z3rao.jpg

There's another one in Fukuoka or something. LadyUsada has pics of that and it's full of random nonsense.

Edit. Oh Christ

tumblr_mah0nwrpoe1rcjaija6.jpg

I collect Genso Suikoden merchandise, but this is just straight-up ridiculous.
I'd like to visit that now. I'm not gonna buy anything, I swear.

maybe a pillow. :v

Skyrim, or any TES? Lol.
you may be right about ME, party members are similar to most of the npcs from what I remember. I'm not really sure how that is a good thing tho.

PKrockin

skyrim character looks like npcs.

consistently bad, but consistent :D

I imagine a lot of this has to do with the fact that equipped armor shows up on the characters in a lot of WRPGs. You're dressed the same as those dudes in the fighter's guild because you're all wearing steel armor.

Although while we're on the subject of character designs can someone tell me why character designers are given so much power in the JRPG world?

Bladenic

I imagine a lot of this has to do with the fact that equipped armor shows up on the characters in a lot of WRPGs. You're dressed the same as those dudes in the fighter's guild because you're all wearing steel armor.

Although while we're on the subject of character designs can someone tell me why character designers are given so much power in the JRPG world?

They aren't? Nomura is a special case but he has no actual power in FF, at least not nearly as much as people think he does.

RPGCrazied

Probably giving this game a break, so I can play Milla's side, the story is still fresh in my mind. I doubt the story is*that* much different with her.

Farming question in Chapter 4:
Storywise I need to go through Milla's shrine to Nia Khera Hallowmont. Is there a better way to farm materials than killing tons of water djinns for Libavius Ores? Or will I have a better opportunity soon? I want to level up the shops as much as I can as soon as I can.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Farming question in Chapter 4:
Storywise I need to go through Milla's shrine to Nia Khera Hallowmont. Is there a better way to farm materials than killing tons of water djinns for Libavius Ores? Or will I have a better opportunity soon? I want to level up the shops as much as I can as soon as I can.
Do it in the EX dungeon in the post game. You get higher-level materials that way.

I do like jude's hawk eyes though.

he got a good 'determined' look.
Just like Sheena's for obvious reasons (same character designer). Actually, I remember a lot of people commenting on how Jude looked a lot like Sheena when they revealed him back then.

ywyobtpgnj0n.jpg

Do it in the EX dungeon in the post game. You get higher-level materials that way.

Just like Sheena's for obvious reasons (same character designer). Actually, I remember a lot of people commenting on how Jude looked a lot like Sheena when they revealed him back then.

ywyobtpgnj0n.jpg

if only jude was judia with bazongas...

there are female med students last time i checked (don't know in japan), so the story would be the same!

Do I just load up my completed save file to access the EX dungeon? or do I wait for NG+?

Is it a case of beating the final boss, loading up that save which puts me just before the final boss (but knows that I have beaten them) so it unlocks the EX dungeon. THEN I can do the EX dungeon, and do all the grindy bits and side stuff to get as much Grade as possible for my New Game+ and then beat the final boss again? Sounds like it's gonna be similar to other Tales Games but I just want to make sure.

Do I just load up my completed save file to access the EX dungeon? or do I wait for NG+?

Is it a case of beating the final boss, loading up that save which puts me just before the final boss (but knows that I have beaten them) so it unlocks the EX dungeon. THEN I can do the EX dungeon, and do all the grindy bits and side stuff to get as much Grade as possible for my New Game+ and then beat the final boss again? Sounds like it's gonna be similar to other Tales Games but I just want to make sure.

Yes, you are dumped back to the save point before the point of no return.You keep all the goodies you gained from the final boss fight and such. And yes, you can do all the grindy stuff to get as much grade as you want.

No, you do not need to beat up the final boss again to start a new game+. The grade shop option should be available from the main menu after you unlocked it by beating the final boss once and obtaining a clear file.

kewlmyc

I have an eyepatch rotated to Alvin's right eye and his swimming hair bangs hiding his eyepatch. This is what Alvin will look like to me from now on.

I also have Jude with half-frame glasses and a baseball cap rotated backwards with his hat hair and alternate outfit. It's awesome. I hope future tales game have this much customization.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Yep. Just regularly load the file that you create after beating the final boss/watching the credits, and then you'll be back before the final boss. And remember, you earn Grade through titles, so you can keep saving on the completed game save and it'll remember how much grade you've accrued since beating the game. You do get grade for beating the EX dungeon completely. Some sidequests do require you do them before you beat the final boss, so do those first. You don't need to beat the final boss again in order to get another clear save. That save does it for you already, so load it up whenever you want to start a NG+.

It's the same as other Tales games. Just make sure you beat all the fell arms bosses (do this before or after the final boss; up to you) to gain access to the EX dungeon then talk to the dude in the port to unlock it.

Fake edit: Dangit, dakkumauji! (Thanks.)

Yes, you are dumped back to the save point before the point of no return.You keep all the goodies you gained from the final boss fight and such. And yes, you can do all the grindy stuff to get as much grade as you want.

No, you do not need to beat up the final boss again to start a new game+. The grade shop option should be available from the main menu after you unlocked it by beating the final boss once and obtaining a clear file.

Awesome, thanks for the info. That's just what I wanted to hear :)

Edit: thanks Dark Schala. That's really helpful. I didn't know the requirements to unlock the EX dungeon. I know I've missed sidequests throughout the game so far, but I suppose I can still get as much Grade as possible before moving on.

Top Bottom