• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Sorian

Banned
So am I supposed to stay paired up, or is there incentive to pay solo?

Only real drawback to being linked is that status effects transfer between link partners but then status heals also transfer between link partners as well. I've been linked 100% of the time so far and I'm about halfway through the game.

MilkBeard

I always stay paired, mainly so that I can get the link artes benefit. Later on you get a skill that gives more EXP when you pair up with more members of your party as well during battle.

Also if you stay paired, you can basically semi-control your partner, like if they are low on HP and you don't want them to die, you just run away and they will follow. I find the benefit of staying paired higher than not.

Holmes

The only time linking was a net negative for me was during an endgame boss whose mystic arte inflicts confusion. Two characters dead, and my two linked ones running around with confusion.

Its it possible for your shops to be too high a level compared to where you are. It seems like I always run out of money before I can buy even half of what I want armor and weapon wise. I just entered Kanbalar and my weapon shop is level 50 if that means anything.

Holmes

Its it possible for your shops to be too high a level compared to where you are. It seems like I always run out of money before I can buy even half of what I want armor and weapon wise. I just entered Kanbalar and my weapon shop is level 50 if that means anything.
Just don't buy every new thing new thing that comes in stock. Is that extra 50 attack points really worth thousands of gald?

MilkBeard

Increasing shop level decreases the price of items, so no.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'd put Xillia's cast right behind Vesperia and Destiny's.

My list would be something like;

Vesperia
Destiny
Xillia
Symphonia/Abyss
Graces
Phantasia
Its a shame only because Alvin and Rowen are awesome. Jude is above average. Milla is nothing more than hit or miss potential aaaaaaand Elize is mostly turrible and Leia never fits.

TripleSun

BTW I finally got to see the Bazongas skit...and, even with all the talk about it, I still found it hilarious. Took me off-guard, especially Rowen...

The burning fire of manhood!

Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing at how serious Rowen got there. Priceless, hahaha. You have to WANT it!

Final boss was a complete mess. Bosses shouldn't be allowed to use pots in games. Ever.

Overall probably 7.5.

Ending was doodoo. Gameplay was fun. Bosses sucked. EliZe was awesome. Jude was sometimes cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SHARING IS CARING

Does Elize say that damn near every time she uses her special link ability? Goddamn it is grating.

Trike

I beat the game the other day and was kind of disappointed. Not with the whole ride, but the ending specifically. The story was kind of weak, although I still did end up liking all of the main characters in the end. Not nearly as bad as the trainwreck that is Graces.

To importers of Xillia 2, does it wrap up the story of the main characters of Xillia in a significant way? Not wanting spoilers.

Is it worth it to go again in Milla's story? I did the bonus dungeon once, and probably will finish leveling up the characters/shops before I start NG+.

Would you guys like to see the world map return in future games? I think I prefer it to the connected areas.

At first I missed it, then I realized it kind of streamlined the game in a good way.

george_us

Love this game's battle system. Vesperia's never really clicked with me but I was hooked on this right away.

The characters are starting to grow on me as well. Jude annoyed me a little but after
getting the spirit fossil
I've come around on him. Hell even Teepo's goofy ass is pretty charming.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I beat the game the other day and was kind of disappointed. Not with the whole ride, but the ending specifically. The story was kind of weak, although I still did end up liking all of the main characters in the end. Not nearly as bad as the trainwreck that is Graces.

To importers of Xillia 2, does it wrap up the story of the main characters of Xillia in a significant way? Not wanting spoilers.

Is it worth it to go again in Milla's story? I did the bonus dungeon once, and probably will finish leveling up the characters/shops before I start NG+.

At first I missed it, then I realized it kind of streamlined the game in a good way.

Xillia 2 is a continuation of the characterization plotted out for the returning cast. It's a nice follow-up and conclusion to the character arcs left open in Xillia 1.

Ultimadrago

I'm borrowing this from a friend who has beaten it. Some random thoughts 10+ hours in:

- Teepo reminds me of actual American educational puppet television and is very annoying. They're (thankfully) not quite Mieu-level of tempted ear ripping, but an unfortunate addition nonetheless.

All that said:

BTW I finally got to see the Bazongas skit...and, even with all the talk about it, I still found it hilarious. Took me off-guard, especially Rowen...

The burning fire of manhood!

This skit (or the two relating ones in close proximity) still got me.

- Milla's lisp is grating. Her personality, thankfully, isn't half bad (for a husk with a voice in a Tales game, etc.).

- Jude reminds me of kayos90.

- Linking in co-op actually isn't shabby with two people once you get four party members. Yet, I can clearly see what Aeana was telling me about when she said the local co-op was gimped a while back. It's very disappointing for me, but the combat is fast-paced enough to bare with. At this point, still preferring Graces f's combat much more.

- Fast Travel is a blessing.

- This game is extremely easy to break and bend. However, I actually have fun with that breed of activity, so that's satisfactory in my book. If for no other reason, it has me actually using Materials in a Tales game for something besides simply selling for pennies.

Overall it has been a largely predictable package, as expected. I'm having a fair time with it though.

Ultimadrago

SHARING IS CARING

Does Elize say that damn near every time she uses her special link ability? Goddamn it is grating.

You think that's bad? If I got a dime for every time Milla has said something along the lines of, "Why don't you let me fight with you? Fine, if you won't add me so be it." in the overworld only to talk about it again 5 minutes later and so on. If I'm lucky she alternates with whining about food. The comments apply for multiple party members, but she by far yaps the most for me. The fact that I hate her voice only makes it worse.

xBuTcHeRx

Beat the game. Was fun but yeah it wasn't that hard than Vesperia or Graces f even. Twas an OK story but shorter than Graces f which took me about 30 hours, Xillia only took me less than 20 hours. Can't wait for Symphonia Chronicles and I still am hoping that BABA see's the appeal into bringing a TALES game to the VITA! That would be one of my greatest wishes to come true!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm borrowing this from a friend who has beaten it. Some random thoughts 10+ hours in:

- Teepo reminds me of actual American educational puppet television and is very annoying. They're (thankfully) not quite Mieu-level of tempted ear ripping, but an unfortunate addition nonetheless.

- Jude reminds me of kayos90.
Ahahahahahahaha.

We were saying a while ago that Teepo should've had a voice like Elmo or like Cookie Monster. I would've found it endearing. :3

I still am hoping that BABA see's the appeal into bringing a TALES game to the VITA! That would be one of my greatest wishes to come true!
Tales of Innocence R and Tales of Hearts R say hello. >.>

Unless you mean something original, then by all means. It'd be easier to import for people who don't wish to invest in a Japanese 3DS.

Ultimadrago

Ahahahahahahaha.

We were saying a while ago that Teepo should've had a voice like Elmo or like Cookie Monster. I would've found it endearing. :3

Ha, perhaps the same could be said for me! Those types of programs really hit close to my childhood, personally.

My issue with Teepo is that they remind me more of the less thoughtful religious television/pre-school teacher puppets I've seen rather than the superior work found in Sesame Street/ Muppets. It's perhaps an unfair comparison, but that's how I immediately define it.

Pooya

QQQQ

Does the effect of Dark Seal stack on top of food exp effect?

I'm missing like 6 skits from 220 required for the title/trophy. Say, if I use the grade shop to unlock all skits, does it unlock the trophy? what happens?

QQQQ

I'm missing like 6 skits from 220 required for the title/trophy. Say, if I use the grade shop to unlock all skits, does it unlock the trophy? what happens?

I believe so but I think only for whoever has the Dark Seal on.

For the skits, when you gain access to your library in new game+, you'll have to view 220 skits to unlock the trophy. You don't have to watch the whole thing and you can skip through them but yes, you'll have to go through 220 skits.

Trike

Xillia 2 is a continuation of the characterization plotted out for the returning cast. It's a nice follow-up and conclusion to the character arcs left open in Xillia 1.

Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to that one and was going to get it regardless.

QQQQ

After I beat the game I still had 6 missing as well. I don't know how I could have missed them, as I did all of the sub-events and hit select whenever available.

Dark Seal stacks, but it won't reflect it when it says how much EXP every got. You have to look at their individual EXP.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After I beat the game I still had 6 missing as well. I don't know how I could have missed them, as I did all of the sub-events and hit select whenever available.
After I beat the game on Jude's side I usually had 3-4 missing. I just either bought the skits from the grade shop, listened until the trophy popped, and then restarted. Or I just continued on with the Milla playthrough since she sometimes gets her own skits.

Ha, perhaps the same could be said for me! Those types of programs really hit close to my childhood, personally.

My issue with Teepo is that they remind me more of the less thoughtful religious television/pre-school teacher puppets I've seen rather than the superior work found in Sesame Street/ Muppets. It's perhaps an unfair comparison, but that's how I immediately define it.
It also kinda seems jarring that Teepo sounds more like a human than a puppet in English. At least to me, it kind of does. You're right, though, it sounds like some of those programs' puppets with somewhat little attention to detail.

I would've preferred something not really more cutesy because we've already gotten that (Mieu), but something more... Muppety.

Trike

Yeah but it isn't the trophy I am interested in as much as it is the grade points.

Also did anyone else feel like Gaius was weak in his positions?

"I want to guide the weak and unite Rieze Maxia." Finds out about Elympions."Fuck these people, they are going to die." Why you no try and unite

Unrelated late-game spoiler.
Milla gives Jude crap about direct linking to Muzet, seemingly implying it is taboo and/or like sex with spirits. Then in Elympious they all proceed to essentially gangbang Volt.

Tohsaka

Got all the trophies other than the one related to cooking and Jude's playthrough. I'm going to start my second playthrough tomorrow I think and finish this. Then begins the year-long wait for the sequel.

Esura

Banned
SHARING IS CARING

I love that! It's too cute. Until later in the game I almost always linked Jude up with her for her battle lines.

Also (post-battle comment)
Leia the slaya, gonna go try to beat ya!
was random as hell but cute when I did the Mango Zero dungeon lol

MilkBeard

Ha. The reason why I don't link with Rowen often is because....LITERALLY...every time I go for an enemy he says "Always one step ahead." It gets so annoying when you hear it 10 times in a single battle.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Got a little bit into Milla's side and damn, that battle music.
Makes me never want to play Jude's side any more.

MogCakes

I lost the fight against
Alvin
and got the losing scene. I
was so angry with
Jude
at that moment for
being a potato with no situational awareness while Leia risked her life and ultimately got shot
that I
didn't bother to redo the fight.
I found it fitting he got his ass beat by Alvin anyway, Alvin is in the pits of despair too but at least he isn't a fucking vegetable, the whole flashback emo sequence took away a lot of the goodwill I had for Jude early on.

That said, I'm starting to regret not redoing it. Is the winning scene more pertinent in plot significance than the losing one?

drakkykun

50 hours, I think I'm near the end. This game became such a drag.
And I have a spoilerish question regarding chapter 4
I'm playing Milla's side. They mentioned in a skit that all hell broke loose between the party members while Milla was "dead" in the spirit world. What the hell happened? Now I'm really regretting playing as Milla.

RalchAC

One thing I'm not liking about Xillia is the Lilian Orb, i'm the only one?

I found nice the fact that they tried to make a system when you need to make some decisions. Improve some stats among the others and everything. But what is the point if in every level I have to unlock one skill before continuing. I may not want to improve Jude's PSI becuase I have Rowen and it's auto magical defense. But I have to unlock one skill that is surounded by 5 slots with PSI +20. What the hell were they thinking!
_____

I may be taking it easy, but I'm nearly 30 hours and I've just meet
Gaius in its castle
. I have to return to Xian Du. I haven't even finished the Chapter 2 yet. But I'm trying to explore every spots in the map, do every sidequest I can and playing in dificult, so most battles are longer than 40 secs.

I've recently defeated the
cat-girl (Presa?) and his partner, the men with super saiyan powers
. Pretty tough fight. I use Jude/Milla/Leia/Elize with Milla canceling Presa's artes, Elize healing and Leia doing some heal and helping me with the guy.

Cuddler

I am the only one who played 4 hours of the game without assigning any ability??? I thought they were automatically assigned after you unlock them, lol.

I'm the only one, right? :(

RalchAC

I am the only one who played 4 hours of the game without assigning any ability??? I thought they were automatically assigned after you unlock them, lol.

I'm the only one, right? :(

Well, I didn't know how to run away in battles and it was a button in the fucking menu. So we both can feel ashamed.

demidar

I wish the banter between party members and bosses during battle was subtitled. I have poor ears so sometimes I can't catch what they say.

My thoughts about the Link system is... I don't like it. For reference I was mainly playing on hard mode, but usually linking is a tad useless in normal battles where there are multiple enemies. What's the point in comboing a single enemy when the other 3 to 5 are gangbanging you from behind? I need everyone to spread out and take 1 or 2 enemies by themselves somewhere else while I'm working on these 2 enemies. Not only that, but sometimes when a melee and a caster link (i.e. Jude and Elize) the melee just stands right next to the caster doing absolutely nothing at all while the other two party members are getting ganked. I don't mind melee characters linking together but you can't control that through the strategy menu (you might be able to by temporarily assuming control and setting the link that way, but that's tedious).

A way to fix it would be to give partial Glory/Iron Stance to linked members, so the battle system can actually work its magic. I am also against tying overlimit to the Link Gauge and would prefer each character has their own overlimit gauge while a maxed Link Gauge offers something else, like Overlimit for the entire party or better yet, Linked Mystic Artes.

MilkBeard

I wish the banter between party members and bosses during battle was subtitled. I have poor ears so sometimes I can't catch what they say.

My thoughts about the Link system is... I don't like it. For reference I was mainly playing on hard mode, but usually linking is a tad useless in normal battles where there are multiple enemies. What's the point in comboing a single enemy when the other 3 to 5 are gangbanging you from behind? I need everyone to spread out and take 1 or 2 enemies by themselves somewhere else while I'm working on these 2 enemies. Not only that, but sometimes when a melee and a caster link (i.e. Jude and Elize) the melee just stands right next to the caster doing absolutely nothing at all while the other two party members are getting ganked. I don't mind melee characters linking together but you can't control that through the strategy menu (you might be able to by temporarily assuming control and setting the link that way, but that's tedious).

A way to fix it would be to give partial Glory/Iron Stance to linked members, so the battle system can actually work its magic. I am also against tying overlimit to the Link Gauge and would prefer each character has their own overlimit gauge while a maxed Link Gauge offers something else, like Overlimit for the entire party or better yet, Linked Mystic Artes.

A lot of the link artes hit multiple enemies. There are a few specifically that will get a nice group if you manage to plant it right in the midst of them. In fact I usually try to set it up so I can get several of them at once.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah the mage you're linked up with coming up to you only to get owned by the boss/enemy is a pretty big problem, but they fixed this in the sequel thankfully (you can tell them to attack with you, go off on their own, or act normally as if they're not linked which works well for characters like Elize).

Top Bottom