• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Bladenic

Has it been confirmed that it's school costumes?

Considering they and the cameo ones are the only ones were likely to still get, and maybe Christmas costumes, I would bet on it being school today. It could be school and cameo I guess.

But no it hasn't been confirmed :p

demidar

Yeah the mage you're linked up with coming up to you only to get owned by the boss/enemy is a pretty big problem, but they fixed this in the sequel thankfully (you can tell them to attack with you, go off on their own, or act normally as if they're not linked which works well for characters like Elize).

Xillia 2 really seems like the game Xillia 1 should've been.

MilkBeard

Yeah the mage you're linked up with coming up to you only to get owned by the boss/enemy is a pretty big problem, but they fixed this in the sequel thankfully (you can tell them to attack with you, go off on their own, or act normally as if they're not linked which works well for characters like Elize).

Personally I don't see why you'd link up with a mage if you're a melee fighter anyway. You get better links with other melees. The only time I link with a mage is if I want to pull them away from a boss and for me the system works well. It's just about knowing how to use the system.

It could be said though that my entire team consists of melee fighters so I never have this problem (Jude, Milla, Leia and Alvin).

FSLink

Banned
Personally I don't see why you'd link up with a mage if you're a melee fighter anyway. You get better links with other melees. The only time I link with a mage is if I want to pull them away from a boss and for me the system works well. It's just about knowing how to use the system.

It could be said though that my entire team consists of melee fighters so I never have this problem (Jude, Milla, Leia and Alvin).

Certain Link Artes are excellent and Teepo Drain is excellent.
It's also nice in ToX2 to link up with say, Leia, and have her melee with you, then quickly tell her to go instead support/heal the party. Or being able to use Elize as her usual self but still benefit from Teepo Drain.

demidar

AI melee and casters link up all the time.

Cuddler

Well, I didn't know how to run away in battles and it was a button in the fucking menu. So we both can feel ashamed.

lol, I still didn't need to run away in battles or I also wouldn't known how to do it, lol. Anyway, it's just me or this game is easier than Tales of Graces f? I'm playing on Normal and I can just mash button furiously, while in Tales of Graces f I had to look for monsters weakness.

FSLink

Banned
lol, I still didn't need to run away in battles or I also wouldn't known how to do it, lol. Anyway, it's just me or this game is easier than Tales of Graces f? I'm playing on Normal and I can just mash button furiously, while in Tales of Graces f I had to look for monsters weakness.

Outside of some bosses with some bullshit attacks that they like to spam especially on harder difficulties, it's overall easier.

All the characters are much stronger here too, and due to the nature of the AC system, you can spam more artes in a row than you could in Graces.

MilkBeard

AI melee and casters link up all the time.

I know, it just always seemed ideal to link with certain melee characters that provide the best combos. But Teepo drain is nice. There is one battle where I brought in Elize and linked with her but I mainly stick with melees.
Perhaps its a bigger problem if you've got a lot of casters in your party but I tend to underuse those kinds of characters in most jrpgs because of their slow speed. I like mah melee characters.

Either way, I haven't really come across too many issues with a.i. The a.i. controlled characters do fine in my party and they often link with each other and use link artes on their own. Also, I beat Nachtigal almost completely by letting the a.i. characters hit him and me controlling Jude, and just pulling characters back using link and heal.

Basically my point is that there are ways to go around the way the system works.

FSLink

Banned
I know, it just always seemed ideal to link with certain melee characters that provide the best combos. But Teepo drain is nice. There is one battle where I brought in Elize and linked with her but I mainly stick with melees.
Perhaps its a bigger problem if you've got a lot of casters in your party but I tend to underuse those kinds of characters in most jrpgs because of their slow speed. I like mah melee characters.

Yeah, there's ways to go around it, but it's a nice improvement in the sequel.
Also Rowen and Elize are pretty godlike in this game, Fireball is broken, Negative Gate is great for sucking in mobs...and Milla as a mage/Rowen are great for exploiting weaknesses especially on harder difficulties. In most Tales games, the mages rule supreme, especially in Abyss and Destiny 2 JP.

I don't get much use out of Alvin due to his lower speed and his AI isn't very good unfortunately. :( Fun to use, and great for random encounters for breaking guard, but against bosses it doesn't get much use since they break out of combos regardless.

MilkBeard

Certain Link Artes are excellent and Teepo Drain is excellent.
It's also nice in ToX2 to link up with say, Leia, and have her melee with you, then quickly tell her to go instead support/heal the party.

You can already do this in Xillia, you just link with Leia and when she's not linked have her focused on healing only with battle parameters in the menu. If you rush an enemy with her linked she'll fight with you, if you pause she'll using healing, then unlink and she'll revert to whatever you've set her parameters to. It's probably slightly more tedious than whatever they've done in Xillia 2 but you can still do it. Linking with other characters has a benefit in a way you can have semi-control over them. If you want to pull someone away from a boss you just link with them and run away, then unlink. There are interesting strategies that can be used with what's already there in Xillia.

Not saying it's perfect though, heh...

EDIT: I suppose one of my complaints would be that they need to find a better way to share the link guage with your a.i. characters. sometimes they will use it when it flashes and what you build in the meter shouldn't carry over to their link. Basically each link should have it's own overlimit meter instead of sharing the same one. But I guess it's not a really big issue. Another problem is just with the design of the controls itself, it feels a bit clunky to move from side to side and then have a free run button. Sometimes my character doesn't turn around properly when I want it to. In that sense I liked Graces' system better because you were always facing the enemy and you could side-dash.

Another idea I had would be that it would be cool if you could link more than two characters together and have different level combos. Like 3 person and 4 person combos. But that's just a dream, ha ha.

Cuddler

Outside of some bosses with some bullshit attacks that they like to spam especially on harder difficulties, it's overall easier.

All the characters are much stronger here too, and due to the nature of the AC system, you can spam more artes in a row than you could in Graces.

Thank you for the answer! I should try to play on Moderate, but I will probably just continue to play on Normal.

FSLink

Banned
Not saying it's perfect though, heh...

I'm aware of how to do it (strategy menu + mapping party members' artes to R-stick was always a "solution" to bad AI), but that's more of a work around than a real fix/solution. There's that and a few other features that I wish they backported to the NA release of Xillia 1. (Dashing with R2 in the fields for example).

Thank you for the answer! I should try to play on Moderate, but I will probably just continue to play on Normal.

Always felt that Moderate was the best balanced difficulty for the game. Normal is way too easy if you actually play take advantage of stuff like the food vendors, upgrading your equipment, etc. It feels too much like a button masher to me on Normal, lol.
But if story's more important to you than battling, then Normal is definitely servicable.

MilkBeard

Dare I say that it may even be okay if they decided to just go full free motion in the battle system a la Star Ocean, but I wonder if the Tales purists would not like that. Instead of having a button for free run, you could have a button for back/side/forward dash movement in conjunction with the direction stick. It would be practically the same except with more freedom of movement. The linear motion system does provide some interesting combat systems but it also poses some limitations as well.

FSLink

Banned
Dare I say that it may even be okay if they decided to just go full free motion in the battle system a la Star Ocean, but I wonder if the Tales purists would not like that. Instead of having a button for free run, you could have a button for back/side/forward dash movement in conjunction with the direction stick. It would be practically the same except with more freedom of movement. The linear motion system does provide some interesting combat systems but it also poses some limitations as well.

It does, but I think sidestep is the obvious solution to being able to keep things on "lines" in 3D, but still allow movement. I'd rather see them refine that + attempt more aerial combat like Destiny remake but in 3D and not just limited to a few characters. I also want to see another attempt at the 3-line system from Rebirth (not counting the abomination from Tempest).

Star Ocean/Tales of Phantasia also has some limitations with the short range/long range system in how many attacks you can have equipped, and Tales games tend to lean towards more combo crazy battles.

MilkBeard

It does, but I think sidestep is the obvious solution to being able to keep things on "lines" in 3D, but still allow movement. I'd rather see them refine that + attempt more aerial combat like Destiny remake but in 3D and not just limited to a few characters. I also want to see another attempt at the 3-line system from Rebirth (not counting the abomination from Tempest).

Star Ocean/Tales of Phantasia also has some limitations with the short range/long range system in how many attacks you can have equipped, and Tales games tend to lean towards more combo crazy battles.

Yeah, I think a side step is basically the one thing I feel is missing from this battle system. Although, later in the game you basically get a skill that allows your character to side-step and attack, which helps, but it still needs a side step.

And yes, Star Ocean's limitation has been not having enough skills/combos. In SO4 you could combo like crazy but you have a very limited number of equip-able skills. I remember distinctly at the end of the game that I wish there were more skills. Mainly because it's fun to have new skills and to increase their efficiency.

It's like both systems offer different strengths on the same idea. I love the crazy amount of artes you can get in Tales games though. Makes battles quite intense.

EDIT: It's pretty hilarious, lately I've just been spamming Swallow Dance because the skill combos with itself to infinity, or until you run out of TP.

FSLink

Banned
Xillia 2 has a proper sidestep and you get it immediately. :)
And yeah they offer different experiences but with similar attributes. This is thanks to having the same developer for Star Ocean 1/SFC Phantasia.

MilkBeard

I never thought I'd be saying this but...

Ivar's value to the story is vindicated in the 3rd chapter (IMO). It's funny because I completely hated the guy before and thought he was a useless, bad character.

The doufus activated the lance of kresnik...that was definitely a 'DOH!' moment..but kinda funny, especially for how serious that part was otherwise. Then...joining Gaius' team was quite funny, and getting caught. Pretty hilarious.

not sure if I should be impressed or disappointed that most important moments are anime cutscenes. Ufotable does good work (unlike the garbage in persona 4 game lol)... but yeah... makes me feel tales team are really struggling to do anything with their current engine. Weird that they didn't decide on using a celshaded style to keep the cutscenes and the game visuals to be a bit more consistent though. There are also some oddities like how gaius's sword is normal size in the cutscenes, while sephiroth size ingame.

Does the sequel rely on anime cutscenes as much?

demidar

Yeah, not using a cel-shaded style was a missed opportunity. Vesperia is still so pretty but Xillia already looks... dated?

Have no opinion on the anime cutscenes, they look nice I guess.

Pooya

I think I'm done with the game now, the post ending dungeon is so boring, going through it twice was enough...

Overall, I liked the combat a lot, it feels good and flashy, sure you can 'break' it and it's easy but feels endlessly fun still and there is room to do more with it.

+ alright story/cast, nothing too amazing but it wasn't boring at all after first 10 hours so, pretty fun ride and nothing offensively bad overall. Other than Milla I liked the main cast, still Vesperia felt a bit better to me but by not much. Lead roles were poor but support cast were a lot better.

+ pretty good side events, I think this was probably one of the better jrpgs of current generation in this aspect, it actually deals with the back story of the world and reveals more about the characters than just useless fetch quests and good chunk of it was voiced. I had fun doing them and made sure not to miss any. I don't think I wasted my time doing them like most other jrpgs of this current generation...

+ lots of weapons for the main party, each having a different model, makes trying new weapons somewhat fun though the stats aren't that different and it just increases by ~50

+ Cool Boss fights and quite a few of them.

+ Quick saves are nice. Nice UI design, it looks nice which matters considering how much you spend here and works fast and feels snappy too. easy to find everything, except the Event list which could use more sorting options.

+ the character customization and attachments were actually pretty funny.

- very poor monster variety, lots of recycled enemies with color change and lvl change, I can't even tell these are new monsters in the post ending dungeon, terrible. Even then all the monsters , the very few there are, look boring, this is the problem with most Tales games. On the other hand bosses were good, so maybe direct some of that effort here...

- poor graphics, the game has terrible textures, characters have very little detail and still a lot of clipping happens. I don't have crazy expectations from a game like this that doesn't even sell 1m worldwide, but when some developer like GUST can render far more detailed characters now, surely Namco can too. I hope next game they announce is a lot better in this aspect, Milla and Jude having baby faces really ruined the cutscenes. Still the game had some cool locales in the second half and near the end of the game and if you sit a bit far the game doesn't look too bad. Overall I liked the art direction, specially in the second half but technically it doesn't do them justice.

- Overworld, I'd like this type of field map but here it's too flat and empty. There is just boring holes in the walls to go in, random loot garbage that you have do gather one xillion times. All of them look pretty much the same with different seasons. It's really boring and wastes a lot of time, good thing there is fast travel and it works so fast without much loading. I hope they work on this aspect and make them more exciting to traverse not just empty fields. If they can't I think I prefer oldschool maps like Vesperia, that gives a better feel of the shape and size of the world imo and it was more lively.

- Terrible loot, this is the problem in many modern rpgs western or eastern, here everywhere is filled with useless garbage which you have to gather to fill up bars to get the somewhat real loot. Not sure why designers don't understand the joy of going through a place, fighting some nasty things and opening a chest in the end.. which actually contains something you can call a treasure? This game is a lot like western rpgs where they fill everywhere with garbage like games from Bethesda or Bioshock games... Though on the other hand you can level up shops very soon and get your hands on some good accessory/weapons but doesn't feel as satisfying as actually finding them

- post ending content is boooooring and not much to do other than the secret boss which was very cool.

with all that, I had lots of fun with it for nearly 75 hours, it could've been a lot better. Worth playing, maybe the game was rushed a bit still feels like a worthy mainline game.

good/10

how does xillia 2 work? Do returning characters load from this save, a la golden sun 2, or do they pop in at various different levels, or do they get mcguffined and are randomly low level?

Or is it like symphonia 2 where old people show up from time and time?

Rhapsody

Banned
Unrelated late-game spoiler.
Milla gives Jude crap about direct linking to Muzet, seemingly implying it is taboo and/or like sex with spirits. Then in Elympious they all proceed to essentially gangbang Volt.

Tether and direct tether are different.
how does xillia 2 work? Do returning characters load from this save, a la golden sun 2, or do they pop in at various different levels, or do they get mcguffined and are randomly low level?

Or is it like symphonia 2 where old people show up from time and time?
Just like any other RPG. They're around the level of your character when you meet them. They stay with you when you get them, but sometimes you're restricted to certain party members on some chapters.

Rhapsody

Banned
Does milla ever get any sort of 'concentration' thing to prevent interruption while casting?
iirc, she gets a glory-like ability similar to Jude. Can't get staggered in the air, so you can do air spells.

Just checked. Yeah, you get both Aerial Armor and Aerial Spell at the very end of her Lilium Orb.

excited to hop back in milla story. purposely haven't really used her in jude playthrough. gonna be weird... will probably instinctively backstep away from every attack lol.

Ath

Just beat the game a few minutes ago. Ending definitely seemed rushed, but it was fine. Started a New Game + with Milla this time. Rewatched the first battle tutorial only to realise that I had completely forgotten all about free-run and had gone through the entire game without using it! Oh well.

Definitely enjoyed the game a lot, I found the cast really likeable and the story was decent. I definitely prefer Graces battle system, plus the fields did get a bit repetitive by the end, but there was plenty to like about the game.

Really looking forward to Xillia 2 now!

Just finished the "infamous"
Jude/Alvin fight. Gotta say, I've been looking forward to beating the fuck outta Alvin ever since I heard kayos and Dark Schala going on about it a year or so ago...and it felt good. Really damn good.

Also, while it was dickish of both of them to ignore Leia for a bit afterwards I still don't get the massive Jude hate. He was depressed, Leia spurred him to think about why Milla sacrificed herself, he snapped out of it quickly then whooped Alvin's ass. Really, Elize having her temper tantrum was more annoying.

Uh, holy crap.

This week we get....

The Idolmaster costumes.

And also the cameo costumes.

Same price for 3 dollars per costume, but still holy crap. Come on Star Driver costumes!

Uh, holy crap.

This week we get....

The Idolmaster costumes.

And also the cameo costumes.

Same price for 3 dollars per costume, but still holy crap. Come on Star Driver costumes!

Link me to the source, please?

I remember kayos90 saying getting the IDOLM@STER costumes were unlikely but the costume list for Xillia is overall pretty small IMO so...

:O

Weren't those limited time in Japan? Guess I should DL those ASAP

I believe those were the Madoka costumes for Xillia 2. I think the Idolmaster ones are still buyable on Japan PSN.

Link me to the source, please?

I remember kayos90 saying getting the IDOLM@STER costumes were unlikely but the costume list for Xillia is overall pretty small IMO so...

They are up on the PSN online store.

Finalow

does this bullshit have an explanation?

for the random treasure trophy, I need 800 of them. since I started ng+ I collected something like 50 of them but the counter is still stuck at 726. so random treasures from ng+ don't count or what? I don't get it.
at least before it was giving a +1 every 10 treasure, didn't make much sense but still better than nothing.

Stuart444

Yes, idolm@ster costumes are up on the store as are the cameo ones.

Also be on the look out more costumes you may not have thought we would get :)

edit: yeah the Madoka costumes were limited time so that won't happen since it's not on the Japanese store.

Is there a site with big pics of each costume?

dlcchartxillia.jpg

Sorry it's not any bigger.

Should I watch Star Driver never seen or heard about it til Xillia DLC discussion.

It's very FABULOUS but I will admit that the plot drags and it really enjoys its use of stock footage. But it is FABULOUS .

-----------------------------------------------------------

I will be surprised if we get Milla's Ayumi costume though.

does this bullshit have an explanation?

for the random treasure trophy, I need 800 of them. since I started ng+ I collected something like 50 of them but the counter is still stuck at 726. so random treasures from ng+ don't count or what? I don't get it.
at least before it was giving a +1 every 10 treasure, didn't make much sense but still better than nothing.

Ah ah your counter restart at 0 when you restart an adventure. Once you'll get your 727 it should go up and so on.

The same thing applies with the number skits viewed , what matters is how many you get EACH adventure..What you keep when you go NG+ is the stuff that is already unlocked.

For keeping thing simple:
Do you have the checkbox next to the title ?
Yes : you get the grade points and you won't have to bother with it ever again when you go NG+
No : you have to restart from 0 if you go NG+

Some titles are exempt form this rule but they are rare.

Stuart444

It's very FABULOUS but I will admit that the plot drags and it really enjoys its use of stock footage. But it is FABULOUS .

-----------------------------------------------------------

I will be surprised if we get Milla's Ayumi costume though.

I think that costume was also a special promotion or something right? So doubtful sadly

Top Bottom