• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

So far, I've found the bosses more challenging than Graces but that's it really. Both games are pretty easy on moderate. Yet, I'm enjoying the battle system in this game more than Graces.

World Maps...I'm kinda okay with how things are in Xillia and Graces. Don't really miss them and never really enjoyed them. Probably one of the few who hates world maps in rpgs.

The one thing I was about to complain was about not having the artes ball(or whatever it's called) back in the game. However, you get it after a certain amount of black feathers and was happy after that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Would you guys like to see the world map return in future games? I think I prefer it to the connected areas.

I am fine with the way it is now, I expect it to "scale" better though. Too many enemies in a cramped, small map. Make a larger map 3-4x larger with more interesting things populating it. Make it large and gigantic to separate a dungeon that is more cramped and small. Xillia's problem is that dungeons and world maps feel identical in size. Either make the dungeons smaller or make the "world map" larger to compensate.

Scale scale scale scale.... That is what feels off with the maps as is. Tales of Graces F did it much better.

If they can't scale it, just make a world map a la Blue Dragon.

FSLink

Banned
Vesperia's world map was wonderful but I'm not opposed to them improving the fields. As long as quick travel is here to stay...

demidar

I am fine with the way it is now, I expect it to "scale" better though. Too many enemies in a cramped, small map. Make a larger map 3-4x larger with more interesting things populating it. Make it large and gigantic to separate a dungeon that is more cramped and small. Xillia's problem is that dungeons and world maps feel identical in size. Either make the dungeons smaller or make the "world map" larger to compensate.

Scale scale scale scale.... That is what feels off with the maps as is. Tales of Graces F did it much better.

If they can't scale it, just make a world map a la Blue Dragon.

I also preferred Graces f's pesudo-map to Xiliia's pseudo-map because they were short but not empty-feeling and the views were sometimes good looking.

It feels like we're getting into FFXIII territory what with preferring our corridors to be narrower :S

Hcoregamer00

It is quite clear looking at Tales or Xillia that Final Fantasy XIII's influence is there.

Ironically, Tales of Xillia comes out as a superior game. They have characters talking when observing and interacting with the world, but yet you can still talk and interact with NPC characters. Milla is a "strong" female like Lightning, but she comes off much more consistently and is a far better example of a strong female. There are corridor dungeons, but they branch off and reward exploration. Also, the game has vibrant and interesting towns, just not enough of them.

I find it funny that they blatantly copied stuff from FF13, but overall execution is stronger and far more consistent.

is it just me, or do i tend to side with the villains of tales games more? Maybe i'm a cold person, but i tend to usually agree with the 'for the greater good' logic vs w/e nonsense protags in these games think about, and somehow achieve with mcguffin(s) and friendships.

really curious what goes on in baba's mind at times... or whoever writes these things.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I could never see Milla as anything but genderless and Xillia's world is as empty as ever.

Its the opposite of ff13 in that way. 13 always filled in the gaps. Looked and sounded amazing. Xillia has large parts of the game where there isn't even music playing and seems utterly vacant in some areas. The group interaction was what I'd expect out of any Tales game. Elize and Teemo suck a lot of the time, Leia has no purpose at all imo, but other than that they were great.

Airgetlam

Anyone else find it annoying that you can't seem string together any long combos on bosses anymore since they break out of them all the time? I can barely get to 30 hits before the stupid exclamation mark attack shows up.

Hcoregamer00

is it just me, or do i tend to side with the villains of tales games more? Maybe i'm a cold person, but i tend to usually agree with the 'for the greater good' logic vs w/e nonsense protags in these games think about, and somehow achieve with mcguffin(s) and friendships.

really curious what goes on in baba's mind at times... or whoever writes these things.

Well it depends on the villian. I found myself hating Mithos since his vision involved killing so many people, yet I found myself a little bit more sympathetic to Van Grants in Abyss because of his backstory and his ultimate vision, even if he has one of the highest body counts of any Tales villian.

Backstory and context has a lot more to do with sympathizing with the villain, at least for me.

demidar

The villain in this game is pretty charismatic and super badass. I would throw $200 to play a game with him as a main character.

Otherwise no, I don't usually agree with the villains in Tales of games.

I could never see Milla as anything but genderless and Xillia's world is as empty as ever.

Its the opposite of ff13 in that way. 13 always filled in the gaps. Looked and sounded amazing. Xillia has large parts of the game where there isn't even music playing and seems utterly vacant in some areas. The group interaction was what I'd expect out of any Tales game. Elize and Teemo suck a lot of the time, Leia has no purpose at all imo, but other than that they were great.

Well Leia kinda did something in Jude's depressed part, but otherwise she was superfluous.

Edit: You can prevent ! counterattacks by either downing the enemy or knocking them in to the air, provided they have no artes they can use in the air.

Finalow

It feels like we're getting into FFXIII territory what with preferring our corridors to be narrower :S
uh? What FFXIII territory.
dungeons have multiple paths, they aren't corridors at all. overworlds suck but that's another story.
the only connection would be a female character as main character but it's not even true since Milla isn't the only main character.

You think Milla doesn't grow in any way (even a little) throughout the story? She isn't my favorite character, but I still consider her a character.

can't really recall much growth at all besides the running gag of her being amused by humanity stuff.

for better or worse she's been pretty much the little fairy that nags you to complete the quest objective.

maybe its all different when i play her side though.

demidar

uh? What FFXIII territory.
dungeons have multiple paths, they aren't corridors at all. overworlds suck but that's another story.
the only connection would be a female character as main character but it's not even true since Milla isn't the only main character.

I'm talking strictly overworld. I prefer Graces f's narrow overworld to Xillia's semi-open overworld. A proper overworld would be preferable.

Bladenic

Almost got the Platinum :D only 4 trophies left. Item shop at level 100 (at 95 now), enemy data trophy (missing 2, will get in Milla's playthrough), second playthrough, and the food effect trophy (still 200 battles to go :/).

Finalow

I'm talking strictly overworld. I prefer Graces f's narrow overworld to Xillia's semi-open overworld. A proper overworld would be preferable.
I think the overworld needed something different, more variety for example or more ways to explore/get loot.
a button to run fast would have been fine too.

Regarding traveling an overworld map, I think it's great. I was unhappy reading about the lack of world map in Graces and Xillia. However, their transitional roads / world areas aren't too bad. The ones in Graces are better than Xillia, though, because in Xillia, the world areas are barren and have a whole lot of nothing, while Graces world areas have the occasional building, discoveries, caves, etc. In other words, Xillia's world areas are really boring in comparison, IMO.

That seahaven looks the same because they were fucking lazy with the ports.

Darn, I was thinking that maybe there was a reason, like the
planets were together as one, sort of like Symphonia -> Symphonia 2 but backwards

Finalow

Almost got the Platinum :D only 4 trophies left. Item shop at level 100 (at 95 now), enemy data trophy (missing 2, will get in Milla's playthrough), second playthrough, and the food effect trophy (still 200 battles to go :/).
I'm still far, only 22/75 rare monsters and that place to grind them doesn't seem fast at all. finding 50 of them will take 3 hours or something.

SaintZ

OMG you already got the sub event one? I'm still at 77/90 RIP. Did you use a guide for that one?

Bladenic

I'm still far, only 22/75 rare monsters and that place to grind them doesn't seem fast at all. finding 50 of them will take 3 hours or something.

I was at 33/75 and got my trophy within an hour, a little less actually.

OMG you already got the sub event one? I'm still at 77/90 RIP. Did you use a guide for that one?

I got the subevent one before fighting the last boss lol. Didn't use a guide, I was just vigilant/a little lucky I guess.

heiyu

finally beat magnus zero. u guys recommend getting more achievs/grade before starting my second run with Mila? (get arena, all shops 100, lvl 99, etc)

finally beat magnus zero. u guys recommend getting more achievs/grade before starting my second run with Mila? (get arena, all shops 100, lvl 99, etc)

To save yourself from more grief in grinding, you could see what grade shop bonuses you would want and see if you have enough grade for it.

It's cheaper to get the multipliers than to actually carry over stuff unless you actually don't want to fight anything anymore.

Gotta love the attachments!! Actually played through the entire game with Rowen looking like that once I got those attachments.

Anyways for Milla's route chp 4,
do I get to control Milla or will it be like in chp 2 where you control Jude in place of Milla?

Okay, I'm level 18 right now, should I attempt to fight the first Fell Beast now (the one on top of the mountain) or is it going to be really tough and annoying? And would reducing the difficulty for the fight cause any problems or is that fine to do if I choose to fight it?

Flamfas

Okay, I'm level 18 right now, should I attempt to fight the first Fell Beast now (the one on top of the mountain) or is it going to be really tough and annoying? And would reducing the difficulty for the fight cause any problems or is that fine to do if I choose to fight it?

They're all level 58-60ish. Definitely don't attempt right now

Einbroch

Banned
46 hours and I'm on my way back to
Fellmont

I feel like I'm going reeeeeeeeally slow. I've been forcing myself to get all the X <3 X, gives me a reason to switch characters.

Hey, I just bought Tales of Xillia Limited Edition from Future Shop and it says on the box that there's supposed to be a soundtrack cd but there isn't one in the box.

What's the deal?

MechaX

Tales villains often have sensible motives at first glance, but the means that the villains are willing to go through are usually both ridiculously convoluted and bordering on flat out genocide.

Tales villains often have sensible motives at first glance, but the means that the villains are willing to go through are usually both ridiculously convoluted and bordering on flat out genocide.

to be fair, it usually is the most sensible option besides what nonsense chain of events and bosses the protags have to kill to somehow save everyone in the universe.

MilkBeard

Regarding traveling an overworld map, I think it's great. I was unhappy reading about the lack of world map in Graces and Xillia. However, their transitional roads / world areas aren't too bad. The ones in Graces are better than Xillia, though, because in Xillia, the world areas are barren and have a whole lot of nothing, while Graces world areas have the occasional building, discoveries, caves, etc. In other words, Xillia's world areas are really boring in comparison, IMO.

I'm cool with Xillia's connecting 'overworld' paths. Actually, I first got used to them way back with Star Ocean 3 because they are the same. The only difference is that SO3's Map had to be discovered as you walked over the areas, and so it actually felt like discovering instead of just walking a straight path from point A to point B. Tri-Ace actually removed this in Star Ocean 4, and it definitely was to the detriment of exploration and made map traversal much more boring. Something about being able to see everything right away takes away from the discovery.

So in essence, I think Xillia's style would work if they made some tweaks to it. Make the maps more discovery based, add some things like landmark discoveries and find ways to spice them up a bit. Other than that, I'm actually enjoying walking around the maps and collecting loot. It probably helps that you can run away from all enemies.

Honestly, I never was a big advocate of world maps. I always thought they were a go-to for developers because of limited tech. Honestly can't say it would help games to go backwards in design simply for the sake of it, unless they found a really cool way to use it. Otherwise, I think it's good for them to find a half-way point between world maps and having big, boring (IMO) worlds like in Xenoblade Chronicles (yes, it's pretty, but boring. All you do is fight monsters and collect loot. Nothing else. Might as well have accomplished that with half the size).

EDIT: *Sigh* All this talk of Star Ocean makes me crave another entry in the series. I wish the SO IP wasn't held by the balls by Square Enix. SE has become so incapable lately...and as much as SO4 was a disappointment, I really enjoyed its strengths. Here's to hoping that Tri-Ace will have another go at the series, or at least a similar series using that new engine they were showing off. (Come on Tri-Ace! You gotta keep up with Tales studio! Tell Squeenix NO when they want you to be their Lightning Waifu bitch developer...)

MilkBeard

BTW I finally got to see the Bazongas skit...and, even with all the talk about it, I still found it hilarious. Took me off-guard, especially Rowen...

The burning fire of manhood!

Top Bottom