• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Tohsaka

CBeShAa.png

Now begins the painful wait for ToX 2.

solid mike

Just beat the Bermia Gorge boss and boy did I have difficulty in doing it. Even though I set Elize to prioritize healing in Strategy, party members were dying here and there.

I beat it on my first try but I'm seriously doubting my tactics and ability to fight bosses. Can anyone recommend some general tips in facing bosses better?

MechaX

Fuck man, naturally they release the cameo costumes right when I'm getting used to Casual Milla w/ Heart Eyepatch.

I know these are obscene cashgrabs on Namco's part, but that Dhaos costume...

Just beat the Bermia Gorge boss and boy did I have difficulty in doing it. Even though I set Elize to prioritize healing in Strategy, party members were dying here and there.

I beat it on my first try but I'm seriously doubting my tactics and ability to fight bosses. Can anyone recommend some general tips in facing bosses better?

Play Jude and learn the timing for pivot snap, will make boss fights a lot easier

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Congrats on your plat, Tohsaka!

That platinum's still ultra rare in this version? Huh.

I'm not getting any ideas because I don't really feel like concentrating on console games at the moment (despite playing Xillia 2 off and on because I want to get that game done, so I might power through it without doing many extras), but... huh, I thought the percentage would be higher than that given that this is legitimately the easiest Tales plat so far.

The Japanese one by comparison is at 20% and marked at uncommon with 6494/32100 people with it.

One of the English versions is at 2% + 73/3149 owners on PSN profiles, while the other English version is at 88/5903 (1.37%) on PSN profiles. If 11-12% is average completion, I think most people are playing through the game normally.

I remember out of the character action trophies, I found Alvin's to be the hardest for me to get completed.

I really didn't get why I didn't back then get the hang of his charge ability.

I also won't lie, I am oddly tempted to do a quick run off my brother's clear file for the platinum assuming we get those STAR DRIVER costumes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
are jrpg plats that common?

even if this is the 'easiest' still seems like a big hassle,
Games like Tales of Xillia, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, Last Rebellion, Neptunia mk2, Time & Eternity, and Final Fantasy XIII-2 are really easy by comparison because you generally get those naturally with a little bit of grinding here and there... or they don't provide a lot of challenge in the first place, so they're easy to go for.

It's just like why Assassin's Creed II is one of the Top 10 Most Platinum'd games. You get most of the trophies by playing naturally, so why not go all the way?

Additionally, I guess the genre has a tendency to lend itself to completionist mentality.

By comparison, Final Fantasy XIII, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Graces f's English versions, (Nier, if it counts), Persona 4: Golden, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia 2, Resonance of Fate, etc. are classified as Rare or Very Rare because:
- They have one or two trophies that are absolutely irritating to deal with (ex: Treasure Hunter in FF13, the weapon trophies in Nier, the shares in Neptunia 1, the catch monsters one in Ni no Kuni)
- They require NG+ (Persona 4: Golden, Resonance of Fate)
- Some of them are skill-based (Tales of Vesperia, some of the Xillia 2 trophies, etc)

Cross Edge is classified as Ultra Rare because it's Cross Edge.

But you also have to bear in mind that this is exclusive to a site that some people have profiles on and that others don't. It's not a fair distribution of who has the platinum and who doesn't. And you also have to remember that it depends on how many people with profiles on the site have the game set as a part of their trophy log, and how many people of that set has the platinum vs people who don't.

lol, reminds me of beating last of us and getting like a total of 3% of all trophies...

I don't even care.

;_;

I think the issue is that I pretty much feel like i'm done with a game about an hour or so before the game is over.

I can't imagine me having positive opinions about any game if I try to get trophies (I doo occasionally like games, believe it or not!).

Einbroch

Banned
You're probably right, I somehow doubt Rowen has never done a single arte tuning unless the AI flat out can't use it

AI doesn't count for anything, I believe. Not the X <3 Y, not the link artes, not anything. Only auto-item.

Also, fuuuuuuuuck Star Ocean: The Last Hope's trophies.

Bladenic

AI doesn't count for anything, I believe. Not the X <3 Y, not the link artes, not anything. Only auto-item.

You get the X loves Y one through AI. I got it for a few combinations. Dunno about the others.

Stuart444

I am proud to have platinum for FF13 lol

Not really. LOL

I am proud to have platinum'd it.

And I absolutely mean that, the theme you get for it is nice imo.

Haha... I kinda wish I had worked on the trophies more actually for that game >.> maybe I'll go back to it someday. I buy too many games though :( so I probably won't get the time.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm going to attempt a platinum on Xillia. The only platinum I've gotten is vanilla Marvel lol (which isn't an RPG obviously).

Getting the platinum doesn't seem too hard for this at least. They could've been mean and made trophies linked with the harder Titles rather than the medium ones.

Stuart444

I'm going to attempt a platinum on Xillia. The only platinum I've gotten is vanilla Marvel lol (which isn't an RPG obviously).

Getting the platinum doesn't seem too hard for this at least. They could've been mean and made trophies linked with the harder Titles rather than the medium ones.

I may get the platinum myself but if they had done that, I wouldn't even consider it at all.

I just did the sub event trophy. That would have sucked without the sub event guide I found. So many random spots and missables that screw you over.

MechaX

Namco, when I first got to the arena and immediately though "oh, there's a ringout mechanic? Could be interesting as long as they don't flood the arena with enemies that knock you a million miles away on hit," I did NOT expect you to actually do it.

I doubt I will ever get very many platinums from any game that makes you replay the story again to obtain it. I have no issues with grinding or skill based trophys or missables but anything that makes me replay the story again even if the cutscenes are skippable is an immediate turn off.

It is a big part of why I 100%d tons and tons of JRPG's on ps1 / ps2 but have never managed to plat one on ps3.

Bladenic

They did for Xillia 2. That's why I already know I'm not gonna bother.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy shit that made me laugh super hard.
It isn't worth the hardship, believe me.

So is Cross Edge the rarest jRPG platinum from the site then?
Depends on the version, but it's one of the rarest. The other ones are pretty predictable like Mugen Souls, Disgaea 3/4, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, White Knight Chronicles (well, it's impossible to do now), etc.

Ragnarok Odyssey, NLKS, Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Ar Tonelico 3, Trinity Universe, Record of Agarest War, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls, WKC2, Agarest War Zero, and Agarest War 2 fall under Rare or Very Rare.

I don't have a 360 yet, so I'm not entirely sure about the achievement distribution for RPGs on that platform based on TrueAchievements. My knowledge of the Vesperia 1000G is kind of bad because the people I know who have it got the 1000G for that. And Seda & co are probably the only people I know with the SO4 1000G, haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

They did in Xillia 2. These trophies, in fact:

IjNuhvc.png

Earn 40/46 Beginner titles in-battle

Earn 18/22 Expert titles in-battle.

Earn all 68 titles in-battle.

alexein

Yeah lots of rpg platinum are rare because they're long ,difficult or tedious.
And yeah fuck star ocean the last hope got 60% or something like that cant do much more.
But igot Nier,resonance of fate they're not too hard.
I'm going to get xillia too, i have lots of rpg to do, at least my ps3 will stay on long after ps4 launch.

I want to get some costumes whoch ones are good, i'm hesiting on some kameo (farah,kratos,mint dhaos) , the girls maid outfits, leia swimsuit.
Iwill get milla school outfit thats for sure when it get released.
Rowen's outfits sucks and i dont want to buy leon outfit already got it for graces, i'm sick of it.

Hubb

I refuse to buy any costumers, ever. I can't believe people here actually are, guess I can stop hoping for them to actually put a good amount of costumes in from the start thanks to that.

Eh I bought one, and I am only buying that one. They do cost to much I agree, but oh well. I really liked the 1 I bought, I intend to always use it and intend to use it in Xillia 2.

Gartooth

Is it just me or is the game really blue? I'm out on Talys Highroad and the bottom of the screen just looks like a thick blue color.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How willing am I wanting to do that twice....
Haha, well, these are battle challenges titles (ex: Kill 40 enemies with link artes, break 20 enemies' guards, attack enemies from behind in-battle 40 times, win a battle longer than 60 seconds without taking damage, make an artes combo that uses 5 different attributes then cancel into link artes 10 times, make a combo of 7 different artes, etc.).

They're separate from the whole "use Alvin's charge move 450 times", "use Teepo Switch 450 times", "make sure Milla uses bind 450 times" trophies, lol.

Bladenic

Haha, well, these are battle challenges titles (ex: Kill 40 enemies with link artes, break 20 enemies' guards, attack enemies from behind in-battle 40 times, win a battle longer than 60 seconds without taking damage, make an artes combo that uses 5 different attributes then cancel into link artes 10 times, make a combo of 7 different artes, etc.).

They're separate from the whole "use Alvin's charge move 450 times", "use Teepo Switch 450 times", "make sure Milla uses bind 450 times" trophies, lol.

Those sound like a NIGHTMARE. Plus there's one for killing rare/Giganto monsters under 2 minutes I believe, eff that.

Tohsaka

Congrats on your plat, Tohsaka!

That platinum's still ultra rare in this version? Huh.
Thanks! I didn't have much difficulty getting it, most of the trophies were just time-consuming and I wasn't really efficient about getting some of them.

are jrpg plats that common?

even if this is the 'easiest' still seems like a big hassle,
It really depends on the game. As far as JRPG plats go, I've gotten the ones for this, Ni no Kuni, Last Rebellion, Time and Eternity (go ahead and laugh), Dragon's Dogma and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. I plan to go back and do some others eventually, though I keep moving onto newer games.

That take longer than 60 seconds without taking damage seems to be the most silliest.

Rhapsody

Banned

Those sound more like Star Ocean 3 BTs, so that's good and bad.

What I was afraid of were levels of the hard time consuming ToX titles. Like collect 1000 feathers, land over 4000 weaknesses, etc.

demidar

I feel like playing Vesperia again now, but I don't want to plug my 360 back in through the cable jungle, and I don't want to wait for all the system updates. I wanted to see if it held up to my memories but oh well. I'm gonna dive into SMT4 within the week, then M&L4 after that.

Also feel like playing through on Milla's side, since every town was like "I'm gonna go over here Jude, don't follow me".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Those sound more like Star Ocean 3 BTs, so that's good and bad.

What I was afraid of were levels of the hard time consuming ToX titles. Like collect 1000 feathers, land over 4000 weaknesses, etc.
Oh, so probably the trophies where
you need to make your friendship with other characters at max (probably through Friend Link S items), completing Cat Dispatch, activate chain link OVL 1350 times, use 4050 link artes, find 700 different items, earn 100000 chips in Poker, etc.
might feel repetitive.

That take longer than 60 seconds without taking damage seems to be the most silliest.
The description is &#36208;&#32773;&#12461;&#12515;&#12521;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540;&#12364;1&#20998;&#38291;&#20197;&#19978;&#12494;&#12540;&#12480;&#12513;&#12540;&#12472;&#12384;&#12387;&#12383;&#25126;&#38360;&#22238;&#25968;40&#22238;

...so that means you have to do it 40 times.

I imagine that you set everyone to either manual or do nothing (better to set at manual so you can get this to count 4 times per battle), pick one of the turtle enemies or something that moves slow (plus something that's easy to beat), beat up everything else while not getting hit except for the slow enemy, taunt with L3 and then run around the arena to make sure it chases you, make sure 1 minute has passed, then get rid of it. You can get it done in 10 battles this way if you picked manual for everyone.

That's what I'd do anyway.

I'm gonna dive into SMT4 within the week, then M&L4 after that.
These games are goooooooood. Having lots of fun with them, and I'm about to finish up my run with SMT4 (probably tonight).

Shouta

It isn't worth the hardship, believe me.

Depends on the version, but it's one of the rarest. The other ones are pretty predictable like Mugen Souls, Disgaea 3/4, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, White Knight Chronicles (well, it's impossible to do now), etc.

Ragnarok Odyssey, NLKS, Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Ar Tonelico 3, Trinity Universe, Record of Agarest War, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls, WKC2, Agarest War Zero, and Agarest War 2 fall under Rare or Very Rare.

I don't have a 360 yet, so I'm not entirely sure about the achievement distribution for RPGs on that platform based on TrueAchievements. My knowledge of the Vesperia 1000G is kind of bad because the people I know who have it got the 1000G for that. And Seda & co are probably the only people I know with the SO4 1000G, haha.

I played through AT3 a few motnhs ago after sitting on it for the longest time. I regret it. Anyone would be crazy to plat that game.

Top Bottom