• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

why? spoiler free please?
I stopped playing graces which didn't click on me. I have yet to play xillia but I am hopefull to enjoy it

I find the characters\story in Xilla boring\stupid or rather the usual Japanese tropes annoy me way more that usual .
Then there is the lack side content that normally in tales games .
I am also a fan of the TP system but Link system sucks and i have a few more problems with the battle system.
As it stands i had way more fun with graces f compare to this game .

Anival

Banned
What Level should I be towards the last part of the game? So far I've been a couple of levels ahead for each boss so they weren't really a problem.

branny

What Level should I be towards the last part of the game? So far I've been a couple of levels ahead for each boss so they weren't really a problem.
I think 50-60 should be enough. The same thing goes for the Devil Beasts. Just always have +experience food active and try not to avoid too many battles. You should be around the right level naturally, so don't sweat it. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Here is something cool

qmSpGZ0.jpg

Is it possible to beat the
Golden Mage Knight
on Unknown difficulty. He hits for over 4k per hit, even with everyone at max level, with food and best possible equipment, I just don't see how this is even remotely possible with any possible setup, especially in the last 2 phases.

Golden Mage Knight
on Unknown difficulty. He hits for over 4k per hit, even with everyone at max level, with food and best possible equipment, I just don't see how this is even remotely possible with any possible setup, especially in the last 2 phases.

Might have to use an all divide or be on a new game plus with stuff like skill = 1sp, 2x growth rate, 30~99 item capacity, high arte usage, tons of herbs, best gear, and very strong devil arm weapons.

MechaX

Golden Mage Knight

As mentioned, you might have to use an All-Divide. Unfortunately, the fight will take forever that way
and this is not even counting his other two "phases" in the fight.
That might be a fight you might want to save for NG+ or if you want to grind up the devil arms to max power if you haven't already.

Man, that fight against
Presa/Jiao/Wingull
is a crock of shit. As if the boss battle design in this game wasn't awful enough the constant slowdown made it drag on even longer, and everyt ime I'd go after Presa and get hit by the confusion ailment or whatever it's called she'd recover like 10k HP.

LuuKyK

Just kill
Gaius
first. I didn't seem to have too much trouble but I might have been a bit overleveled.

I tried,
but she revived him so I thought it was better to kill her first. She had Revive on herself though. Pissed me off. Had to kill both two times.
-_- Playing on moderate here. Most characters were level 75, Elize was 77 I think because I fucked up in a boss battle before and only she got the EXP. lmao

Now that I finished, what should I do? Go straight to the Milla's play through and do everything else after finishing it, or do the EX-dungeon and try getting more trophies before starting the new game+?

Also, what do you guys recommend using the grade points on?

MilkBeard

I tried,
but she revived him so I thought it was better to kill her first. She had Revive on herself though. Pissed me off. Had to kill both two times.
-_- Playing on moderate here. Most characters were level 75, Elize was 77 I think because I fucked up in a boss battle before and only she got the EXP. lmao

Now that I finished, what should I do? Go straight to the Milla's play through and do everything else after finishing it, or do the EX-dungeon and try getting more trophies before starting the new game+?

Also, what do you guys recommend using the grade points on?

So you beat it? Cool. Yeah, I didn't know that
Muze
revives
Gaius
as well. I originally killed
Muzet
first but then she revived, so then I moved to
Gaius
and he didn't come back. I think perhaps
I used Leia at some point as a link partner just because bosses and their annoying uses of items. However, I don't ever remember knocking Muzet down, she always did a spin when I did that combo. Either way, they stopped using revive.
In the end it was just a minor set back, and they eventually went down. I was about level 70 playing on Moderate.

Videoneon

Man, that fight against
Presa/Jiao/Wingull
is a crock of shit. As if the boss battle design in this game wasn't awful enough the constant slowdown made it drag on even longer, and everyt ime I'd go after Presa and get hit by the confusion ailment or whatever it's called she'd recover like 10k HP.

When bosses link up, life gets worse. It made the (CielTynave you may not want to highlight it since you're not there yet I assume)
Celsius/Gilland
fight last a lot longer than it should've, and made me die a couple times.

demidar

If you afflict a status ailment on a linked boss, the other boss gets afflicted as well. Just something to keep in mind (i.e. spam Fireballs/Elize's spells)

MogCakes

If you afflict a status ailment on a linked boss, the other boss gets afflicted as well. Just something to keep in mind (i.e. spam Fireballs/Elize's spells)

Or you can set Rowen/Milla to spam Tidal Wave/Sunburst/Cyclone and completely obliterate everything on the field with minimal effort, boss or not :D

drakkykun

Golden Mage Knight
I did beat his 3rd form on Unknown and it was extremely easy, honestly.
I had Elize in the back spamming only Nurse and Revives, while I ganged on him with Alvin and Jude linked (Glory is so glorious) and Rowen spamming Tidal Wave to keep his copies at bay. Whenever the copies got separated, I would unlink Alvin and Jude, so Jude could go help Elize and Rowen. I only had to use 1 omega elixir, and it wasn't really that necessary. No all divide used since that'd only drag the fight.
It was just terribly tedious, the fight lasted 68 minutes.

Arthea

I need some input on some issues, please. It might be that my controller is about to die, or there is something wrong with controls in this game. They aren't responsive enough. For example: charge of Alvin works every third time or so. There are some slight problems with moving, and for whatever reason sidestepping converts to jump half of the time. I have problems with Snap Pivot because of it.
Can linked characters on auto make linked artes? It's still unclear to me.

MogCakes

I need some input on some issues, please. It might be that my controller is about to die, or there is something wrong with controls in this game. They aren't responsive enough. For example: charge of Alvin works every third time or so. There are some slight problems with moving, and for whatever reason sidestepping converts to jump half of the time. I have problems with Snap Pivot because of it.
Can linked characters on auto make linked artes? It's still unclear to me.

Auto characters will used linked artes yes, as well as arcane/mystic artes, they just do it rarely. I think the control issues may be your controller, I haven't experienced any problems with responsiveness.

Crispy

So I'm about 15 hours in and in
Jude's hometown, now on my way to the mines
and I'm kind of getting bored with the game. The areas connecting towns and dungeons look the same way too much and battles oftentimes feel like I could beat them no matter what moves I use (hard doesn't really make this any better because it just takes longer to kill everything). I miss some of the things that made Graces F battle system more dynamic.

I notice I really have to bring myself to playing it, instead of really enjoying it. Does it get better after this or is this game just not for me?

Seda

So I'm about 15 hours in and in
Jude's hometown, now on my way to the mines
and I'm kind of getting bored with the game. The areas connecting towns and dungeons look the same way too much and battles oftentimes feel like I could beat them no matter what moves I use (hard doesn't really make this any better because it just takes longer to kill everything). I miss some of the things that made Graces F battle system more dynamic.

I notice I really have to bring myself to playing it, instead of really enjoying it. Does it get better after this or is this game just not for me?

Personally, the boss at the mines and then the events in the next city is where the game became interesting to me.

Well I'm partway into part 3 of the game and it's certainly gotten better storywise, but gameplay you're not really gonna run into anything that'll improve it much. If anything it's gotten worse because of constant slowdowns in battle and the shitty boss design really becoming more noticeable in some fights.

Dragoshi1

Jude's story FINISHED!

Took me 33:24 to beat it.

I went and did as many sub-events as I could, and completed the Arena.

Vesperia was a longer game, overall, as I beat that in 31 hours, but without sidequests or grinding.

And Graces F, I beat in 26 hours.

Ah well, time to do Milla's story!

Gartooth

I haven't gotten all the trophies and titles for using character abilities and partner skills enough. Can I just go ahead and start Milla's playthrough with my progress towards those titles/trophies carrying over, or do I have to finish them up on Jude's side first?

Crispy

Guess I'll play a bit more then, if the story picks up I think I can handle the fights. Should become better when there are four party members again as well.

Finalow

Just kill
Gaius
first. I didn't seem to have too much trouble but I might have been a bit overleveled.
that's not really the way to go, you should focus her first. If you can't keep up with the healing just spam hourglasses or grind more/lower the difficulty.
I had no problems but I guess being around level 70 was a bit too much.

I think Elize requires less experience to level up in comparison to the rest of the party, I always read of her being 2-3 levels above and the same thing happened to me.

that's not really the way to go, you should focus her first. If you can't keep up with the healing just spam hourglasses or grind more/lower the difficulty.

I think Elize requires less experience to level up in comparison to the rest of the party, I always read of her being 2-3 levels above and the same thing happened to me.

Elize gets a skill that gives her more bonus exp based on the amount of healing she does in a battle.

So she doesn't need less exp to level (she's right in the middle compared to the rest of the party), she just gains a bunch of bonus exp from healing.

I somehow completely missed Elize's heal -> exp skill even though I went though the entire dungeon where it's located. I even had a loot bag pretty close to it I dunno how I missed it lol

Finished it earlier. Last boss is a pain cause it likes to spam the super move. I was lvl 70 and had some difficulty finishing that battle though overall the game is rather easy.

TBH my lasting impression of the game was it was pretty dull overall. Nothing really stood out. It's all a bit weak in most areas. Characters, worlds, dungeons and story were all meh for me. Hardly anything was memorable. The story never feels big or important. I never felt I was saving anything or a part of anything, other than my group of people just wandering from town to town with the samey monster areas in between so I could progress the story.

The load times are fantastic. From load save game to playing is practically instant. The Lilium Orb was cool. I sort of liked the idea of levelling up the shops until you get to a new town and the realisation that they don't have any cool new stuff until you level em up. I liked being able to customise the characters in little ways.

Graphically it wasn't very pretty. Most areas look the same and the hair... The hair!! Characters never clicked with me. There was no one annoying thankfully, just forgettable. And it doesn't help when a lot of the voice actors are the same from other games which I'm getting a little tired of hearing.

It's the weakest Tales I've played this gen. I'm not sure ill bother with Xillia 2 after this.

Layell

I have to say Milla is probably the best mage knight in a Tales game along with Hubert. Her selection of spells is great with the selection of elemental choices. Her late game arsenal is just fantastic in every way. I don't even mind she doesn't get her little healing spells Jude makes better use of that ability in terms of fighting/story.

God I hate it when the main character suddenly decides to go into full emotions mode.
How does stuff like this still get written? Fortunately it only lasts a few minutes and everyone forgets about it and moves on lol.

I'm at 32 hours but still haven't finished. Already looking forward to playing as Milla and Xillia 2. Glad they already confirmed it's coming or I would be pretty anxious to hear something from them right about now lol.

Just finished Xillia (Jude's arc) in a bit over 50 hours. Game is a solid entry in the Tales series, but not as good as Graces F or especially Vesperia. Xillia is piss-easy (on default difficulty) - I beat the whole game without getting a single game over...that's a first for me in a Tales game. A few bosses had me on the ropes, but I was able to survive. I didn't encounter anything in Xillia that came close to the challenging boss fight against
Kurt
in Graces F. Xillia's graphics are a step down from Vesperia and Graces F. Combat is nowhere near as good as Graces F. It gets a bit too flashy at times which could be a bit distracting. Slowdown can occur when battles get hectic. Xillia's characters are a decent amount better than Graces F (but not as good as Vesperia)...however, I quite dislike Teepo. Jude was alright, but got a bit tiring towards the end. Alvin and Leia are the most likable characters, but even they aren't great...there's nobody in this game on the caliber of Yuri or Jade. The highroads were kinda dull to traverse through and the dungeons were just OK. I didn't much care for the material-gathering-and-exchange system to get better equipment...it took away some of the incentive to explore. Xillia's story is decent overall...starts slow, gets pretty good around the middle, but then gets kinda crappy again about 80% through. The game's music is alright, but still pretty forgettable (but then again that's the case for just about every Tales game I've played.)
Gaius
is pretty cool.

Labadal

So I finally started this and I have a feeling I'll dislike Jude as much as Asbel. Why can't we have another Yuri type? I'll forgive them this once because I love using martial artists.

MilkBeard

Didn't really think this battle needs that much strategy, it wasn't really that hard from what I remember. In reality you just focus on whatever character you can take down the fastest. I actually did
Muzet
first but she revived, that's why I switched to the other enemy and beat him. Then I went back and finished the other. I don't think there's really a 'best' way to do it for everyone, it just depends on who you can take down easiest. It would have been either/or for me.

PKrockin

So I finally started this and I have a feeling I'll dislike Jude as much as Asbel. Why can't we have another Yuri type? I'll forgive them this once because I love using martial artists.

Otaku can't put themselves in the role of anyone but a sputtering kid.

But seriously, I don't know. Yuri topped the official favorite Tales character poll in Japan.

For what it's worth I find Jude less offensive than Asbel.

Arthea

Why would you dislike Jude? He's just a kind medical student, what's believable and if tad naive, that's believable too. Don't understand you people.
Asbel was much worse, his indecision and brooding were boring.

So I just finished the game yesterday and I was pretty bored of the game by the end of it. I got to the point of no return last week and couldn't bring myself to finish it until yesterday.

The only good character was Alvin. Everyone else was pretty bland. Actually, the word bland would describe most of the things in this game. None of the cities looked interesting past the first one. None of the dungeons or fields stood out at all. There were only a few pieces in the soundtrack that I didn't completely tune out. The track that played during the fields in
Elympios
felt horribly out of place.

The best thing I could say about the story was that it wasn't offensive, but I really didn't care what was happening after the half-way mark. I don't even understand why the characters were so fascinated by Milla.
She's supposed to be this strong-willed person that everyone looks up to, but all I saw was a stubborn idiot. The scene that really drove it in was after she got her leg injury. She wants to continue her mission no matter what, but she can't even walk so she decides to start crawling away? What was that supposed to accomplish? It felt so forced when they tried to compare Milla to Gaius. He was a much more worthy figure to look up to.
Jude is barely above Asbel in terms of main characters. The main problem I had with him was that his motivation for going through this journey was stupid.
He's going through all of this to get into Milla's pants. This seems to apply to everyone, though. The whole Milla suicide arc felt horribly forced.

Anyways, who plays Tales games for their story, right? Well, the battle system was definitely a step down from Graces. I played Xillia on hard all the way through, so these thoughts are specifically for that difficulty. Taking the CC system from Graces was a great thing to do, but having bosses that gain a shield after a certain number of hits was really counter-intuitive. I ended up spamming damaging knock down skills on bosses. Most of the time, they would recover from these skills right away, so I could use them over and over again until their shield kicks in. Not having some kind of temporary iron-stance skill made normal battles annoying, too. Forced to break out of your combo after 3-4 hits really made high number of AC pointless in many cases. It was really annoying. Only when I obtained the skills that made forward step count as a hit, did not take any AC, and had iron-stance while stepping did the battles flow much better and was a lot more fun to play. I didn't like the link system that much. The main problem I had with the link system was the linked normal attacks. Those linked attacks kept ruining what I wanted to do. I did like how linking with different party members gave different benefits, but linking Jude with casters weren't that great. I linked with Elise most of the time since I didn't want to worry about TP (They should have just copied Graces F directly by not having TP), but that caused her to be in the middle of all the enemies. She also didn't cast many spells when I was linked with her. I didn't see an option to set a shortcut to someone else's skills, so I couldn't get her to cast skills. Oh and the auto item usage was broken for me. It was fine for about halfway through the game and then it suddenly stopped working. I didn't notice it for some time until I saw that my party members were getting to low hp/tp and I had max amount of gels.

All in all, I'd place my enjoyment of Xillia slightly below Graces F. The story and characters are slightly better, but the battle system is worse. I don't think I'm going to replay Xillia on Milla's side. I heard Xillia 2 improves on Xillia, so I'll definitely get that when it comes out.

PKrockin

I didn't like the link system that much. The main problem I had with the link system was the linked normal attacks. Those linked attacks kept ruining what I wanted to do.

You only do linked attacks if you just press X with no direction. I just press forward X if I don't feel like doing those linked attacks.

Oh and the auto item usage was broken for me. It was fine for about halfway through the game and then it suddenly stopped working. I didn't notice it for some time until I saw that my party members were getting to low hp/tp and I had max amount of gels.

Sounds like you toggled off Auto-Items by pressing square in the battle menu and never noticed it was off.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the story, though I haven't quite reached the ending yet. Why everyone looks up to Milla escapes me. She strikes me more as a stubborn idiot like you said, or just some robot. Maybe it's the English voice acting and it's different in Japanese, but it's like instead of pressing on with her mission because she has the strength of will to continue despite the setbacks and hardships, she can't actually comprehend what they mean for her and her mission. She seems to react with indifference or even amusement at enormous roadblocks to her goal.

Finalow

Didn't really think this battle needs that much strategy, it wasn't really that hard from what I remember. In reality you just focus on whatever character you can take down the fastest. I actually did
Muzet
first but she revived, that's why I switched to the other enemy and beat him. Then I went back and finished the other. I don't think there's really a 'best' way to do it for everyone, it just depends on who you can take down easiest. It would have been either/or for me.
well, the battle isn't hard, I agree with that but if someone has problems with it killing the one that constantly heals is the easiest way to win. it's pretty much the basic strategy for every jrpg.
when you kill
Muzet
she revives right after, yes, but iirc she gets only a few hp after that so you can kill her again in no time.

Elize gets a skill that gives her more bonus exp based on the amount of healing she does in a battle.

So she doesn't need less exp to level (she's right in the middle compared to the rest of the party), she just gains a bunch of bonus exp from healing.
uh, I guess I used that skill without even noticing the effect.

Top Bottom