• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Hopefully I can actually buy them this time, I tried to get the idol master costumes the other day and kept getting an error so I just gave up.

Is there an easy way to get the food effects trophy other than fight lots of battles? The minimum food effect is 2 battles, that means I would have to 1600 battles to get it? Is there a trick or something to reset your food effect? Vesperia had something where you could sleep at the inn, for example.

Is there an easy way to get the food effects trophy other than fight lots of battles? The minimum food effect is 2 battles, that means I would have to 1600 battles to get it? Is there a trick or something to reset your food effect? Vesperia had something where you could sleep at the inn, for example.

1 per battle as far as I know

Seda

That trophy is just how many battles you fought where you had an active food effect, not how many food items you eat.

So the only way to get the trophy is to just make sure you have an active food effect at all times, the dish (and size) don't matter.

That trophy is just how many battles you fought where you had an active food effect, not how many food items you eat.

So the only way to get the trophy is to just make sure you have an active food effect at all times, the dish (and size) don't matter.

Ahh that's good to know, so I guess just tough it out and keep going. I didn't start using food until really late in the game so that explains it.

Gartooth

Fought the
Gold Mage Knight
for close to an hour last night.
Managed to get it down to it's Jude and Milla forms. The Jude form proceeded to beat the shit out of me, and before I knew it my entire party was down. Right now I'm trying to ask myself if beating it is really worth it. At this point I just want the Devil Arm's powers so that I can quickly get through Milla's side.

I've just lost against
Gaius

When was this game supposed to get interesting? So far it has been 3 interesting hours mixed with 14 hours of pure boredom and poor pacing. Oh and fuck these empty landscapes, that's really some Time and Eernity shit right there ;(

Bladenic

Hmmm, I don't believe I ever got Jude's Glory skill. Is it called Glory? Don't believe I had it, I'll check again. And this was at level 99 with like all but 2-3 Aifread treasures found. Unless those few I missed were the ones that had it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hmmm, I don't believe I ever got Jude's Glory skill. Is it called Glory? Don't believe I had it, I'll check again. And this was at level 99 with like all but 2-3 Aifread treasures found. Unless those few I missed were the ones that had it.

It's not called Glory in the English version. Might be something like Grounded Stance. You get it from a Skill Book (from when you also unlock the power of the fell arms).

Seda

It's not called Glory this time, it's called Grounded Stance and you get it for beating the Ex Dungeon

Bladenic

Ah got it, I had it but for some dumb reason forgot to equip it

And of course the school costumes would come out after I platinumed the game lol. I may buy one or two for Xillia 2 though.

paolo11

Damn, Gaius is so badass. The should make a DLC story with that guy.

It's the first game that I like the antagonist more than the protagonist.

Fought the
Gold Mage Knight
Managed to get it down to it's Jude and Milla forms. The Jude form proceeded to beat the shit out of me, and before I knew it my entire party was down. Right now I'm trying to ask myself if beating it is really worth it. At this point I just want the Devil Arm's powers so that I can quickly get through Milla's side.

Were you on the lowest possible difficulty? Lower the difficulty to its lowest setting, eat the A.DEF / P.DEF +30% food, and bring 15 hourglasses, all-divides, and omega elixirs, and there's really no possible way to lose. All that stuff is expensive, but if you're that far in the game, I doubt you have much use for money anyway.

Gartooth

Were you on the lowest possible difficulty? Lower the difficulty to its lowest setting, eat the A.DEF / P.DEF +30% food, and bring 15 hourglasses, all-divides, and omega elixirs, and there's really no possible way to lose. All that stuff is expensive, but if you're that far in the game, I doubt you have much use for money anyway.

Did pretty much everything you said to do on the last encounter with that boss except for lowering difficulty. (My characters are 74/75 on Moderate) Omega Elixirs are definitely a life-saver for that battle.

Well, I guess someone doesn't want me to give Namco my money for those costumes, I keep getting an error and when I try to add funds it says the info isn't valid, despite the fact that I just used this same info a few days ago to buy the game itself on PSN. And nothing else I use it for gives me an error either.

squall211

Fought the
Gold Mage Knight

I cheated (sorta) for that fight. I made sure to have 15 hourglasses, and used them all in a row lol. Made the fight a ton easier.

Gartooth

Just lowered the difficulty to easy. Wow the fight became a walk in the park, demolished him in a fraction of the time it took for me to get near the end of the battle on moderate. Didn't have to depend on items either this time around!

Just lowered the difficulty to easy. Wow the fight became a walk in the park, demolished him in a fraction of the time it took for me to get near the end of the battle on moderate. Didn't have to depend on items either this time around!

Yea I had been playing the whole game on Hard and all the bosses and trash mobs were getting crushed because I was overlevelled, so I decided to try the boss on Hard as well my first time around, figured it might be a tad challenging but no biggie. And he just steamrolled me the first time. Like he was one shotting all my guys with every hit. At that point there's just no point keeping the difficulty high anymore, I mean the game's already been beaten. So I just lowered it to Easy and moved on with my life, lol.

MilkBeard

Yeah I'm on Moderate and I didn't even get to the forms that you mentioned. I got to the part where he splits into four and it just was too much for me. At that point I was like....awwww man! and I just couldn't keep up.

However, whenever I go back to Xillia, I don't plan on lowering the difficulty. The enemies in the EX dungeon give tons of experience so it's not like it would hurt to do a bit of leveling...plus I think that's the easy way out, ha ha.

FSLink

Banned
I've always loved Irony of Fate and felt like Leon as a character was the best part of Destiny (PSX version).

I did too.
And then Namco outplayed the fuck out of it in cameos and such. Also not a fan of the remix they used for Leon's side in ToD: DIrector's Cut and the fact that it played every single battle.

Rhapsody

Banned
I did too.
And then Namco outplayed the fuck out of it in cameos and such. Also not a fan of the remix they used for Leon's side in ToD: DIrector's Cut and the fact that it played every single battle.
That was my problem. I haven't gotten sick of the character though, luckily. Plus it helps that I like the VA.

And it's too hard to pick a favorite character for me in Destiny. Stahn, Lilith, and Leon are all awesome to me.
Actually, the whole cast is pretty good.

My favorite Destiny character was Chelsea Torn despite her rather limited part in the PSX version. Is her role expanded in the directors cut?

FSLink

Banned
Destiny is definitely my #1 favorite for Tales of casts due to the variety, character personalities, and movesets in battle. Xillia 2 might beat it as well.
Vesperia is up there too, but I wasn't too fond of how Judith didn't fit well with the cast battle-wise, and she was also only powerful if you used her yourself. (I never found a point to use her when most of her moves either push the opponent away and the AI was too dumb to juggle). And Patty is kinda meh even if she's fun to use.

My favorite Destiny character was Chelsea Torn despite her rather limited part in the PSX version. Is her role expanded in the directors cut?

She is, and probably the most fun archer to play in the series. It's also worth noting that in the PS2 remake, you can have all 4 previously optional characters instead of just 2 (2 out of Johnny(Karyl), Kongman(Bruiser), Chelsea, and Mary)

Destiny is definitely my #1 favorite for Tales of casts due to the variety, character personalities, and movesets in battle. Xillia 2 might beat it as well.
Vesperia is up there too, but I wasn't too fond of how Judith didn't fit well with the cast battle-wise, and she was also only powerful if you used her yourself. (I never found a point to use her when most of her moves either push the opponent away and the AI was too dumb to juggle). And Patty is kinda meh even if she's fun to use.

She is, and probably the most fun archer to play in the series. It's also worth noting that in the PS2 remake, you can have all 4 previously optional characters instead of just 2 (2 out of Johnny(Karyl), Kongman(Bruiser), Chelsea, and Mary)

You can also get Lillith without hacking in the remake giving destiny remake the largest cast in the series correct? One of the biggest reasons I liked Chelsea in destiny psx was she was the only character who's ai would actually fight intelligently without me having to constantly micro manage.

FSLink

Banned
If you guys haven't figured out yet how broken Milla's Shimmer Spin is, I encourage you to become familiar with it :)

Yup. Binding Sphere (Negative Holder) is also pretty crazy.

You can also get Lillith without hacking in the remake giving destiny remake the largest cast in the series correct? One of the biggest reasons I liked Chelsea in destiny psx was she was the only character who's ai would actually fight intelligently without me having to constantly micro manage.
Yup, you can get her without hacking now.

ToS2 should have more party members. Emil, Marta, Richter (temp), Lloyd, Colette, Genis, Raine, Sheena, Zelos, Presea, Regal
NDX has more if you count monsters since you can actually control them on a New Game Plus, and of course there's the Radiant Mythology spinoffs.

The thing about Shimmering Spin is that not only is it AoE and hits everything in a large radius, but it also:

a) It's instant
b) You can bounce an entire group of enemies in it for 10-15 seconds, making it double as a crowd control.
c) It links with Jude to create Spirit Spiral, which heals people in the circle for upwards of 5k HP and damages enemies in the circle for upwards of 5k damage, and additionally buffs everyone in the circle.

It's honestly pretty broken. It's like if Tidal Wave were instant cast.

As icing on the cake, Spirit Spiral is so powerful that I frequently find myself having a full Limit Bar within 1-2 seconds after using it the first time, meaning I can spam it. I can get a full Over Limit bar in 15 seconds spamming Shimmering Spin and Spirit Spiral.

Yup, you can get her without hacking now.

ToS2 should have more party members. Emil, Marta, Richter (temp), Lloyd, Colette, Genis, Raine, Sheena, Zelos, Presea, Regal
NDX has more if you count monsters since you can actually control them on a New Game Plus, and of course there's the Radiant Mythology spinoffs.

Honestly the entire symphonia 1 cast in symphonia 2 feel like glorified guest, and the game has monsters even if they aren't playable. Biggest troll is giving you Lloyd right before the final battle when it's actually detrimental to use him as he's fire type like the final boss which screws you over.

I didn't think about the cross over games lol obviously they stomp all games in terms of character count

ohlawd

how many more weeks until we get all costumes out on the store?

That's when I plan on doing my big costume blowout.

FSLink

Banned
What if rm4 had a version of graces f's battle system instead?

Would be silly having other characters get their artes change to A-artes. I'd prefer Destiny's since it'd fit better to older characters.
Though I think for a spinoff, something like Vesperia's or even Xillia's is best, but it just needs to be less clunky.

Rhapsody

Banned
Not going to be satisfied with a potential RM4 until they add some sort of multiplayer vs mode.

I'm pretty sad that they've practically given up on multiplayer mode for handhelds since Hearts.
I had a lot of fun playing Innocence with a friend and doing long combos.

As for RM (and ND), I'm kind of afraid of what Namco will do if they apply DLC for those games...

Top Bottom