• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

OOps. Uh. I meant that JYB doesn't voice anyone at the point where I'm at.
Wpte3MM.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is it true that boss battles in this game can be a bit bullshit because they can break out of your combos whenever they feel like it?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just put down my preorder on Xillia at Gamestop. Will cost me about $30 total thanks to some silly trade in deals they had going right now.

My first Tales game. I'm looking forward to enjoying it being in despair.

Just put down my preorder on Xillia at Gamestop. Will cost me about $30 total thanks to some silly trade in deals they had going right now.

My first Tales game. I'm looking forward to enjoying it being in despair.

your first Tales? Do yourself a favor and play vesperia, symphonia, graces f and abyss.

RalchAC

Asbel is so boring. He is like a less interesting LLoyd.

Compare Yuri's personality with Asbel, oh boy.

I've played Grace F a few weeks after ending Vesperia and yes... oh boy. Coming for Yuri, who is an awesome character and not the typical shonen manga MC to Asbel, who at times looks like a (even) worse version of Naruto was awful. I learned to stand him in the last quarter of the game or so. And all this "I cannot kill you, you are my friend!" was too so much like Naruto...

And, man, Lineage and Legacies looked soooo much like a fanfiction it hurted me. It's like they took a couple of fangirls and let them wrote the script. The Hubert/Pascal parts were terrible. The Asbel/Cheria weren't so bad, but I have to say that I couldn't stand her.

The only characters I like were Pascal (my favorite) and Sophie (although sometimes was pretty meh).

But, well, the combat system is absolutely awesome, so I can forgive them. I hope Xillia's story is at the level of Vesperia, although the "Entelexeia to Spirit" part was generic as hell I found the rest of the story pretty nice.

I've played Grace F a few weeks after ending Vesperia and yes... oh boy. Coming for Yuri, who is an awesome character and not the typical shonen manga MC to Asbel, who at times looks like a (even) worse version of Naruto was awful. I learned to stand him in the last quarter of the game or so. And all this "I cannot kill you, you are my friend!" was too so much like Naruto...

And, man, Lineage and Legacies looked soooo much like a fanfiction it hurted me. It's like they took a couple of fangirls and let them wrote the script. The Hubert/Pascal parts were terrible. The Asbel/Cheria weren't so bad, but I have to say that I couldn't stand her.

The only characters I like were Pascal (my favorite) and Sophie (although sometimes was pretty meh).

But, well, the combat system is absolutely awesome, so I can forgive them. I hope Xillia's story is at the level of Vesperia, although the "Entelexeia to Spirit" part was generic as hell I found the rest of the story pretty nice.

the future arc was definitely the worst part of the game. It's also sad how they chickened out on the potential
hubert-pascal
love drama.

Heyt

Banned
Romance aside, I thought Future Arc was more beareable character and story wise than the main game. Sure, everyone behaving like in a high scool shojo was embarassing but at least characters were much less unaware about the obvious and not having to talk about Richard and mamoru all the time made their non-romantic-bound interactions much better.

Also the story development wasn't at predicteable (at least for me). It wasn't exciting or anything but it was much more bearable and decent than the main game.

solid mike

Since this will be my first Tales game, I don't think I'll feel the 'rushed' or 'too short' aspect of the game because I have no point of comparison.

Since this will be my first Tales game, I don't think I'll feel the 'rushed' or 'too short' aspect of the game because I have no point of comparison.

I actually like this game being shorter than the prior ones, I just dont have the time to play 50-60 hour JRPG's any more between work, marriage and side business

Bladenic

whereas Luke is a genius leader who speedily figures out who to trust and what to do!

Lol not sure what Luke has to do with anything since I didn't mention him anywhere... But Luke is 10 times better than Asbel in every regard. That said I hate the Abyss cast.

khaaan

Got an email last night saying that my copy shipped!

Do you mean the limited edition run or just the first print in general?
Both the collectors/limited will be fairly rare. Assuming there's no difference between the game after the LE runs out, it probably wont be that rare unless you keep the copy sealed and wait till we're in the middle of the PS4/Xbone gen.

Do you mean the limited edition run or just the first print in general?

"The Limited Edition will be limited to all first-run copies of the game and include TALES OF XILLIA game software, exclusive collectable character profile booklet, TALES OF XILLIA music CD, and two DLC costumes."

Guys, do y'all think this game will be rare later on? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy it day one or not.

Basically I think it comes down to whether the extras (character profile artbook, CD) are worth it to you. I imagine the game itself will be available cheaper.

If you look at graces f, the regular game is on amazon at $38 and the limited edition is $127, I THINK the limited edition is just the day one europe version (hence similar to the limited edition of xillia). Note that this is for sealed brand new of course.

For those that want the CE it is still available online at gamestop, though its too late to preorder in actual stores.

jschreier

Lots of cool systems in this game. Store expansion (you can donate materials to incewase stores' inventories), auto-item contingencies, the Lilium Orb (basically a Sphere Grid ripoff)... I dig it.

Aeana

Lots of cool systems in this game. Store expansion (you can have to donate materials to incewase stores' inventories), auto-item contingencies, the Lilium Orb (basically a Sphere Grid ripoff)... I dig it.
Fixed.

Hate shop build so much. (._. )

Eusis

Ha, it's more interesting than just finding better equipment every time you go into a new town.
Sounds like it could just be a speed bump more than anything else, but I guess that always has to do with how a game's balanced anyway as a small grind for money probably isn't all that different.

Is shop build not fun? It sounded like a neat idea on paper.

I didn't think it was terrible but you kinda end up seeing the faults for it as you go through the game.

Originally, it's pretty cool as everytime you run across a new merchant, you can dump off all the loot you tirelessly hunted through the barren lands for and get new stuff.

But once the exp required for leveling up each shop ramps up, you pretty much hold off on actually dumping your loot till a x3 multiplier appears in order to get the most bang out of your loot. This kinda leads to a very random timing of actually getting better items for the shops since you either want for a x3 multiplier or grind out even more for more loot or money to dump off.

I just found it tiring near the end of trying to max out the shops level.

Phenomic

Amazon still hasn't shipped my order! I'm guessing Monday. Sure hope it can get to me in a day.

They do it all the time like this and it should get to you just fine. I have prime so I order a ton of stuff from them. Most of the stuff ends up shipping out over the weekend or on Monday itself.

You should get a notification soon enough. I wouldn't stress over it and even if you had to go pick up a retail copy because they missed your box they have a pretty easy return policy. (Happened to me once with Darksiders 2 I've never had a problem outside this one)

Sorian

Banned
I didn't think it was terrible but you kinda end up seeing the faults for it as you go through the game.

Originally, it's pretty cool as everytime you run across a new merchant, you can dump off all the loot you tirelessly hunted through the barren lands for and get new stuff.

But once the exp required for leveling up each shop ramps up, you pretty much hold off on actually dumping your loot till a x3 multiplier appears in order to get the most bang out of your loot. This kinda leads to a very random timing of actually getting better items for the shops since you either want for a x3 multiplier or grind out even more for more loot or money to dump off.

I just found it tiring near the end of trying to max out the shops level.

Ah, I see, so it becomes gamey near the end. I'll still appreciate it just because I like elements that make a game seem like a "living" world. Hell, I'm replaying persona 4 right now and I appreciate that game's system for upgrading the shop and thats about as shallow as it comes :p

Eusis

Ah, I see, so it becomes gamey near the end. I'll still appreciate it just because I like elements that make a game seem like a "living" world. Hell, I'm replaying persona 4 right now and I appreciate that game's system for upgrading the shop and thats about as shallow as it comes :p
I do imagine that kind of set up also makes more sense in a game like Persona 4 where you're literally the only people in the world finding these materials. I can't imagine the same applies to Tales games on average.

Sorian

Banned
I do imagine that kind of set up also makes more sense in a game like Persona 4 where you're literally the only people in the world finding these materials. I can't imagine the same applies to Tales games on average.

It's an RPG, all these city guards and armies fighting monsters are all well and good but let's be honest with ourselves. The MC and his party are the only people capable of getting stuff done even if they are all braindead
looking at your guys, Graces cast

Eusis

It's an RPG, all these city guards and armies fighting monsters are all well and good but let's be honest with ourselves. The MC and his party are the only people capable of getting stuff done even if they are all braindead
looking at your guys, Graces cast
True, but I think in those instances it's usually more rare materials they'd get. But I kinda skipped Aeana's rundown as I usually only TRULY understand mechanics once I'm actually playing the game, so I'll have to see whether it's just a few more pieces of equipment or if you're literally supplying a store that only serves you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lots of cool systems in this game. Store expansion (you can donate materials to incewase stores' inventories), auto-item contingencies, the Lilium Orb (basically a Sphere Grid Crystarium ripoff)... I dig it.
It's too bad that the systems aren't exactly very cohesive in a way. i wish they linked together more frequently, but what can ya do. :/

Also, I fixed part of this for you.

Just remember to keep going through those fields, picking up sparklies, and using them when the x3 multiplier is there for faster increase. I don't even like using it when it's x2 because it's so slow. And only use the material that's specified (ie: the ones with fish icons, leaf icons, etc) for the x2 multiplier because the x1 multiplier totally isn't worth it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lots of cool systems in this game. Store expansion (you can donate materials to incewase stores' inventories), auto-item contingencies, the Lilium Orb (basically a Sphere Grid ripoff)... I dig it.

How many hours have you put into the game? I've played about 12 hours or so now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should have seen the Xenoblade thread.
Half of the thread on his part was basically like that, lol.

Shit, most of the beginning of the game wants to be FFXIII.

Milla sounds like Lightning with a head cold
There's a running joke that importers initially had which involved that game. I don't know if a lot of them say it now. If I actually say it in here, it'll probably bring about a bunch of tangental posts but you can probably guess what it is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Half of the thread on his part was basically like that, lol.

There's a running joke that importers initially had which involved that game. I don't know if a lot of them say it now. If I actually say it in here, it'll probably bring about a bunch of tangental posts but you can probably guess what it is.

I wrote an article that even mentioned it! lol.

Top Bottom