• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

I'm assuming it's like Symphonia where it's self-contained but the second game expands on the first like RnK/KoR.

I've only played the first few hours of the JP version so I have no idea regarding anything beyond that.

Thanks that is good to know.

I watched a bit of the opening and the dub seems to be on par with graces which is fine with me. A big bonus is having sam riegel as jude.

FSLink

Banned
How would you fix being able to stunlock bosses? Maybe they should just randomly escape after a full combo/number of hits threshold like Kingdom Hearts?
Overlimit works fine in Abyss and stuff but lately they've been activating it too fast that you can't bait them into doing it or do some creative ways to minimize damage (FoF cancels in Abyss, using your Mystic Arte right before they do theirs, etc)

HORRORSHØW

Bazongas?
hF5066645

On topic. I haven't played a Tales of game since Tales of Phantasia on the SNES. How has the series matured? How's the v/o?

Gartooth

All the Vesperia comparisons are making my hype go bonkers, at first I was going to let Xillia sit for a while just because there are a lot of other games that I want to play first, but I might change something about that.

Dio

Banned
All the Vesperia comparisons are making my hype go bonkers, at first I was going to let Xillia sit for a while just because there are a lot of other games that I want to play first, but I might change something about that.

Note: like an unfinished Vesperia with a lot less content. Just putting that out there. I'm waiting for Xillia 2 myself, I can't justify buying this for 60.

SougoXIII

Hi there everyone, I'm trying to get into the Tales series but after the disaster of Grace F, I'm a bit wary. So far Xillia looks very good for me and my only concern is when people say it's 'unfinished'. What do they mean? What features and extras that Xillia's missing compare to other Tales games?

Dio

Banned
Hi there everyone, I'm trying to get into the Tales series but after the disaster of Grace F, I'm a bit wary. So far Xillia looks very good for me and my only concern is when people say it's 'unfinished'. What do they mean? What features and extras that Xillia's missing compare to other Tales games?

Hey hey hey, Graces F wasn't a 'disaster'. It had the best combat system of any 3D Tales, ever - even if the story was kinda bad.

When they say unfinished, they mean less skits, less sidequests, the obligatory HOT SPRINGS was cut out, and generally a ton of stuff was cut out of Xillia because they rushed it for production - instead of making a Director's Cut and rereleasing it, they made Xillia 2 to put all the cut content in and fix the problems with Xillia.

The game also abruptly ends to make you get the second game.

SougoXIII

Hey hey hey, Graces F wasn't a 'disaster'. It had the best combat system of any 3D Tales, ever - even if the story was kinda bad.

When they say unfinished, they mean less skits, less sidequests, the obligatory HOT SPRINGS was cut out, and generally a ton of stuff was cut out of Xillia because they rushed it for production - instead of making a Director's Cut and rereleasing it, they made Xillia 2 to put all the cut content in and fix the problems with Xillia.

The game also abruptly ends to make you get the second game.

Hey, I love Grace's battle system but every time a story bit occurs, it always make me go: 'Why am I playing these idiots again?' I couldn't make it past the 20 hrs mark.

Regarding Xillia, it's unfortunately but it seems the cut contents wouldn't be a big deal for me. I'll be getting this when it hits the UK land next week. Thanks for the reply.

FSLink

Banned
Hey, I love Grace's battle system but every time a story bit occurs, it always make me go: 'Why am I playing these idiots again?' I couldn't make it past the 20 hrs mark.

Regarding Xillia, it's unfortunately but it seems the cut contents wouldn't be a big deal for me. I'll be getting this when it hits the UK land next week. Thanks for the reply.

I'll say it again, you guys who care more about story should be glad Rebirth didn't get localized. Graces is good in comparison.

Well Xillia is great in both aspects (battles + story), just lacking in end-game content and some other areas, so reception to it will be stronger.

Amon37

If I had the willpower I'd leave xillia1 sealed and wait until xillia2 to play them both back to back.

but I don't. lol

Airgetlam

Quick question. Was this game created with an intent to make it a two part series? Or did they just decide to make a sequel because it did well sales wise? (Assuming it sold above average for a Tales game)

FSLink

Banned
If I had the willpower I'd leave xillia1 sealed and wait until xillia2 to play them both back to back.

but I don't. lol
This is actually a bad idea due to a lot of areas being reused, you'd get fatigue pretty quickly, lol.

Quick question. Was this game created with an intent to make it a two part series? Or did they just decide to make a sequel because it did well sales wise? (Assuming it sold above average for a Tales game)

More of the fact that yes, the first game did pretty well sales wise, and they had to cut some stuff out due to time restraints. Instead of making a director's cut/GOTY edition, they decided to make a sequel with a new scenario.

I wasn't super hot on Xillia my first time through, but my second playthrough went way better.

Story and characters are way better than Graces, not as good as Vesperia's.

Enjoy this one guys. Glad it went west.

More of the fact that yes, the first game did pretty well sales wise, and they had to cut some stuff out due to time restraints. Instead of making a director's cut/GOTY edition, they decided to make a sequel with a new scenario.

That doesn't mesh with what Dio said about the game ending abruptly (which would imply they had a sequel in mind when making it).

So which is it? Did they make Xillia 1 knowing they'd expand on the story somehow, or did they make it without knowing they'd ever make a sequel?

After Ni No Kuni and Mass Effect, Vesperia was my third favorite game this generation, so I am really hyped for this. I was somewhat enjoying Graces, but then it got shelved for Ni No Kuni. I think the poor story may be the reason I have not gone back to playing it.

FSLink

Banned
That doesn't mesh with what Dio said about the game ending abruptly (which would imply they had a sequel in mind when making it).

So which is it? Did they make Xillia 1 knowing they'd expand on the story somehow, or did they make it without knowing they'd ever make a sequel?

It's more of the final dungeon being rushed, not the story. It's self contained.

Sagitario

I love Graces f, and a lot of other GAF members do too (particularly those who imported). It just kinda feels weird that people say they hated it when reading some of the posts in the Graces f OT and the import impressions/Graces f demo thread made me think the complete opposite.

I'll continue to help out when I can when the game actually comes out like I did with the Graces f thread. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You and scy made that thread awesome for me
lGuuX.gif

Loved going back and forth playing and replying.

FSLink

Banned
So noticed in the Let's Play video that X is confirm/attack and O is cancel/artes. Not surprising since this is common for localized games for it to switch from the Japanese version. But in 360 Vesperia, it's A = confirm/artes, B = cancel/attack iirc.
Is there some sort of SCEA policy mandating X to be the confirm button always or something?

(I wish they could just remap everything so I can keep everything the Japanese style)

Eusis

So noticed in the Let's Play video that X is confirm/attack and O is cancel/artes. Not surprising since this is common for localized games for it to switch from the Japanese version. But in 360 Vesperia, it's A = confirm/artes, B = cancel/attack iirc.
Is there some sort of SCEA policy mandating X to be the confirm button always or something?

(I wish they could just remap everything so I can keep everything the Japanese style)
Yeah, I think SCEA mandates it and it's one of my bigger pet peeves that it wasn't stomped out a long, long time ago so things were universally consistent. It really isn't a good idea when controls are getting as complicated as they are and O IS a good out of the way button for interactions, useful in games where you jump with X.

But if Abyss and Vesperia are any indication I should at least be able to swap Attack and Artes, they were just sloppy when switching for outside of Japan (a huge reason I wanted things forced into consistency earlier on.)

Vesperia is imo the best Tales of game. But even that one is falling apart in the last quarter of the game.

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia
3. Abyss

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vesperia is imo the best Tales of game. But even that one is falling apart in the last quarter of the game.

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia
3. Abyss

Yeah...I love Vesperia but that last 1/3 gets pretty generic rpg plot. I still haven't played Abyss and I'm not sure why. I was going to get it on 3ds but I'm not sure how that version ended up comparing.

Yeah...I love Vesperia but that last 1/3 gets pretty generic rpg plot. I still haven't played Abyss and I'm not sure why. I was going to get it on 3ds but I'm not sure how that version ended up comparing.

Abyss is definitely above Graces F when it comes to the story. No idea how the 3ds version holds up. I played Abyss on the PS2.

Eusis

Abyss is definitely above Graces F when it comes to the story. No idea how the 3ds version holds up. I played Abyss on the PS2.
30 FPS battles, less loading, more consistent FPS overall. Same content otherwise.

So, yeah, you can speak fairly for Abyss.

Bladenic

I'll say it again, you guys who care more about story should be glad Rebirth didn't get localized. Graces is good in comparison.

Well Xillia is great in both aspects (battles + story), just lacking in end-game content and some other areas, so reception to it will be stronger.

Yeah the story being decent in Tales is like a bonus. I'm here for the characters though, and Graces' sucked. Plus I found Rebirth to be generally better in other areas over Graces.

That said the story in Graces is absolutely horrendous. There is NO excuse for how stupid Asbel is.

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia
3. Abyss

Vesperia's last third was great as they actually stuck to an objective instead of going all over the place with twists every five minutes.

Bladenic

Vesperia's last third was great as they actually stuck to an objective instead of going all over the place with twists every five minutes.

I think the problem people (myself included) with the last third is that it abandons the much more interesting and different story the game had before. Also things leftover from the second half are kind of quickly and shoddily resolved, or maybe even forgotten.

Coxy

Yeah the story being decent in Tales is like a bonus. I'm here for the characters though, and Graces' sucked. Plus I found Rebirth to be generally better in other areas over Graces.

That said the story in Graces is absolutely horrendous. There is NO excuse for how stupid Asbel is.

whereas Luke is a genius leader who speedily figures out who to trust and what to do!

Necrovex

Vespira's final act felt like an afterthought. It would have been my favorite Tales of game if that third act held up to the first two acts.

Only Tales title I've played was Abyss for 3ds. That game had the most hilariously whiny MC I've ever seen in a jrpg. Also...odd abs.

Vespira's final act felt like an afterthought. It would have been my favorite Tales of game if that third act held up to the first two acts.

rushed game is rushed.

I heard that the bonus dungeon sucked also. Never played it.

Still, Vesperia is overall fucking brilliant and the graphics are lovely.

kewlmyc

whereas Luke is a genius leader who speedily figures out who to trust and what to do!

With Luke, at least the characters and story constantly point out how flawed he is as a person, which leads him to change.

With Asbel, he's flawed as hell, yet the characters and story have you believe that he's always in the right. It's pathetic.

With Luke, at least the characters and story constantly point out how flawed he is as a person, which leads him to change.

With Asbel, he's flawed as hell, yet the characters and story have you believe that he's always in the right. It's pathetic.

Asbel is so boring. He is like a less interesting LLoyd.

Compare Yuri's personality with Asbel, oh boy.

I wish I could make threads so I could take out my rage on Tales of Legendia. One of the worst jrpg games I ever played. I have no idea how this made it to the west, maybe it was because the success of symphonia, but coming from ToS to ToL, oooooh boy that was shitty.

Top Bottom