• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Aeana

Oh man. The voice acting for this puppet is tough to stomach.
I haven't heard Tipo in English yet. I hope he really isn't bad. He's one of the best characters in the game. That said, I HATED him at first when I first played the game, so it may very well just be an adjustment period for you like it was for me.

RPGCrazied

:(

I'm indifferent to what little I've heard of Teepo in English, and his voice is awesome in Japanese. So I hope it's just what you heard so far.

From little I heard, it sounds like Karol from Vesperia. Does it sound boyish in the Japanese version?

Auskeek

I can't find any English ver. of the game's opening in Youtube. Shall I assume that the intro was unchanged or are they using an instrumental version of Progress?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, Tipo in English is disappointing?

That's a shame since his JP voice made the character for me, and I was kind of nervous for his English voice. He ended up being one of my favourite Tales mascots, but again, the voice can sometimes make the character in that instance.

Does the game have an airship? Been missing that from Tales of games of late.
Nope. Like FSLink said, you get fast-travel instead.

FSLink

Banned
I can't find any English ver. of the game's opening in Youtube. Shall I assume that the intro was unchanged or are they using an instrumental version of Progress?

It's unchanged.

I really hope Teepo sounds fine since all the mascots dubbed so far have been pretty good. (Yes, I'm including Mieu, VA does a good job of being annoying like the Japanese Mieu)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh, Tipo in English is disappointing?

That's a shame since his JP voice made the character for me, and I was kind of nervous for his English voice. He ended up being one of my favourite Tales mascots, but again, the voice can sometimes make the character in that instance.

Nope. Like FSLink said, you get fast-travel instead.

Both the lines and the voice are... not "getting a rise out of me" lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How good is the insta travel? In SMTIV, some Terminals are so out of their way for the world map :/
You press R3 on the field and you are taken to the instatravel menu. You just have to wait until you get a few hours into the game until you get it. There are certainly some areas you cannot get back to for story reasons, but other than that, I think it's pretty convenient.

ohlawd

Not sure what I hate more. The trade routes in xillia or the stupid overworld in smt4

yeh I've already alluded something to that effect in the SMTIV OT. Game could have benefited from a map item or something.

You press R3 on the field and you are taken to the instatravel menu. You just have to wait until you get a few hours into the game until you get it. There are certainly some areas you cannot get back to for story reasons, but other than that, I think it's pretty convenient.

That sounds great. Thanks for answering.

Razlo

Reverse cover:
dsc00854bxb9d.jpg

Anyone have a scan of that reverse cover, so I can print it out for my own copy?

I also got the impression that for Grace f the normal difficulty didn't really do the combat system justice whereas it shined on higher difficulties, so perhaps people were getting bored anyway. Whenever I try it again (never got far, forget what distracted me then) I'll definitely run with one of the higher difficulties.

Shown off by some early reviews that pointed out "its button mashiness."

Not sure what I hate more. The trade routes in xillia or the stupid overworld in smt4

The land of the Unclean Ones
is not a friendly place by any means; ludonarrative harmony hammers this point home.

ohlawd

On that same note, Xillia feels button mashy as hell on Normal to me, go on Hard.

Looks like I'm going on Normal.

I care not for Tales of battle systems. And I never will. I'm in here for da terrible characters and da nonsense plot.

Voror

Is hard immediately available? And does it offer any perks like Graces or is it just for the extra challenge?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I care not for Tales of battle systems. And I never will. I'm in here for da terrible characters and da nonsense plot.

Same reason I've beat all 3 Neptunia games!

Reading this thread kinda depresses me. Sounds like Xillia isn't a good game at all.

FSLink

Banned
Same reason I've beat all 3 Neptunia games!

Reading this thread kinda depresses me. Sounds like Xillia isn't a good game at all.

Reading that depresses me.
say wat.

I enjoy the plot and characters for what they are. I don't think it matters if I find them terrible >_>

I don't see why if you find the battle system, characters and plot terrible you'd enjoy any Tales game unless you mean you find it a comfort/junk food type thing.

Xillia is a great game, just falls short in end-game content and a rushed final dungeon.

Can't be worse than Mieu from Abyss.
Mieu's VA was spot on, the problem was the character, not the VA. :p

PKrockin

Why play then? Is there some 4th element you really enjoy?

I believe him, judging by his avatar...

The World Only God Knows wikipedia said:
At the start of the series, Keima receives an e-mail offering him a contract to "conquer" girls. When he accepts it, thinking it is an invitation to a game challenge, a cute demon from Hell named Elsie appears: a Spirit Hunter. She asks for his cooperation to help her in catching the evil spirits that have escaped to the Human Realm: the "Loose Souls", which were once Old Demons from Hell. These evil spirits hide themselves inside the hearts of people (in their case, girls), feeding off the hosts' negative emotions to replenish their power and strength, in becoming whole demons once again (which in turn, the host becomes an empty shell of a person). Elsie suggests that the only method to force the evil spirits out is by "conquering" the girls hearts, making them fall in love with him and filling up the gaps which the escaped evil spirits hide in, in which she is then able to capture them. Interested only in video game girls, however, Keima is appalled by the idea, and refuses the assignment as he has no romantic real life experiences whatsoever. Nevertheless, with the contract already agreed, Keima has no choice but to help Elsie no matter what, as they will be beheaded by an invisible (to others) red collar around their necks if they fail.

lol

Dio

Banned
The bolded describes how I exactly feel. I should have just said that from the start.

I would conquer Legs so hard.

Well, that's part of the Tales fanbase divide. It's divided into people who like an action RPG experience impossible to get anywhere else and the story is secondary - Graces F's amazing battle system and Destiny PS2 Remake's even more amazing battle system that's like playing a fighting game with the complexity of the combos and pure fun involved - and people who want to play an anime and mash through subpar combat to get to more story, like fans of Symphonia and Abyss.

Each side has its own view, and neither is 'wrong', really.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, that's part of the Tales fanbase divide. It's divided into people who like an action RPG experience impossible to get anywhere else and the story is secondary - Graces F's amazing battle system and Destiny PS2 Remake's even more amazing battle system that's like playing a fighting game with the complexity of the combos and pure fun involved - and people who want to play an anime and mash through subpar combat to get to more story, like fans of Symphonia and Abyss.

So does Xillia fall into the first batch or the second?

Dio

Banned
So does Xillia fall into the first batch or the second?

Most of the former Tales fans who are my friends - the ones who prefer combat and playing a videogame above all else - tell me to just wait for Xillia 2 to enjoy the combat there. Also, Hearts R.

I would say it falls more into the 'second', myself. The game's pretty easy and it brings back TP in a freakish mix of CC and TP, which I personally think is really silly and they should have just thrown away TP forever like in Graces F.

ohlawd

god dayum you made the other half sound like utter shit lols.

k I've only finished 4 Tales games: Symphonia, DotNW, Abyss and Graces F.

3/4 of those land on the utter shit side, apparently. I also liked those three a lot better than Graces F.

Voror

I believe him, judging by his avatar...

lol

That show is actually pretty funny though. Or at least I think so.

Most of the former Tales fans who are my friends - the ones who prefer combat and playing a videogame above all else - tell me to just wait for Xillia 2 to enjoy the combat there. Also, Hearts R.

I would say it falls more into the 'second', myself. The game's pretty easy and it brings back TP in a freakish mix of CC and TP, which I personally think is really silly and they should have just thrown away TP forever like in Graces F.

I've heard from several people that Hearts R is inferior to the original DS game actually. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end since it's never being localized in either incarnation. I've been thinking about importing one of them despite the fact I won't understand anything.

I noticed it seemed to have both and found that pretty bizarre myself.

Which team worked on Xillia and Xillia 2? There are two of them that tend to alternate, right?

Dio

Banned
I've heard from several people that Hearts R is inferior to the original DS game actually. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end since it's never being localized in either incarnation. I've been thinking about importing one of them despite the fact I won't understand anything.

Hearts R is pretty damn good, even if the original DS game is fantastic. The DS game is 2D, so if you like 2D that's great! If you like 3D, Hearts R exists and that's great too. I have a friend who's played both and he loves both games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hearts R, of all things? The combat feels like it completely stripped away everything that made Hearts "Hearts", though.

Which team worked on Xillia and Xillia 2? There are two of them that tend to alternate, right?
They're one team now. No such thing as Team Symphonia and Team Destiny anymore.

Dio

Banned
Hearts R, of all things? The combat feels like it completely stripped away everything that made Hearts "Hearts", though.

I suppose that's true. Personally, I prefer the DS game, but it's certainly not bad if you're looking for a fun 3D Tales - it's certainly better than most of them, but that's not a hard bar to leap over.

3Kaze

I suppose that's true. Personally, I prefer the DS game, but it's certainly not bad if you're looking for a fun 3D Tales - it's certainly better than most of them, but that's not a hard bar to leap over.

Yep, Hearts R may be different from the DS game, but its battle system is better than any of the Team Symphonia games . The Chase Link is like Fatal Strike but better.

Voror

Hearts R is pretty damn good, even if the original DS game is fantastic. The DS game is 2D, so if you like 2D that's great! If you like 3D, Hearts R exists and that's great too. I have a friend who's played both and he loves both games.

Hmm, I've been strongly considering finally importing them for a while now. Vesperia PS3 as well since I'd really like to play the complete version of the game.

They're one team now. No such thing as Team Symphonia and Team Destiny anymore.

That was the complaint I seemed to hear the most.

Wasn't aware of that. I wonder how that's affected development if at all since it seemed like there was something of a difference between one teams' game to another.

OnFire331

I fall on the middle ground as I enjoy the overall package and not only the gameplay which is why I put Abyss and Phantasia as some of the better Tales games personally. Those two are the only Tales games I've played 2-3 times (I've got the urge to replay Vesperia too, maybe after Xillia). I feel there's a certain portion of the fanbase that's on a witch hunt for the "Team Symphonia" games though.

FSLink

Banned
I fall on the middle ground as I enjoy the overall package and not only the gameplay which is why I put Abyss and Phantasia as some of the better Tales games personally. Those two are the only Tales games I've played 2-3 times (I've got the urge to replay Vesperia too, maybe after Xillia). I feel there's a certain portion of the fanbase that's on a witch hunt for the "Team Symphonia" games though.

A witch hunt? lol. It's not like people who prefer them dislike Vesperia and such.

god dayum you made the other half sound like utter shit lols.

k I've only finished 4 Tales games: Symphonia, DotNW, Abyss and Graces F.

3/4 of those land on the utter shit side, apparently. I also liked those three a lot better than Graces F.

No way, they're not considered utter shit. :p
Abyss, Symphonia are both really good, but if you've played the other style of Tales game (Destiny 2 JP, Rebirth), there's a clear difference in how they approached gameplay elements. Faster loading (and quicker Mystic Artes), cooking not being useless, etc.
Basically the Team Destiny games showed a real good sense of polish, they just lacked good writers.

I prefer Symphonia and Abyss over most of TD's earlier entries, but I really do like Graces and Destiny remake due to the battles (and story for Destiny too).

Voror

While true, most of the staff who worked on Xillia came from the Tales of Hearts team.

I'm curious what the rest of them have been doing then. We did have that recent copywriting of Tales titles, though I'm not expecting an announcement this year. I'd imagine it would have happened already.

OnFire331

Can you change Xillia's difficulty during a playthrough? I'd like to try out both Normal and Hard to know which clicks with me better. If not, maybe I'll start on Hard anyway.

FSLink

Banned
Can you change Xillia's difficulty during a playthrough? I'd like to try out both Normal and Hard to know which clicks with me better. If not, maybe I'll start on Hard.

Yes, you can. Up to Hard on a first playthrough., Unknown (a step higher than hard) is unlocked after a first playthrough.

Shouta

Then why not play Trails for... nm, gonna be awhile before we get anything beyond the first game.

Jathaine

I personally think is really silly and they should have just thrown away TP forever like in Graces F.

Hmm, I like it.
Actually... Destiny 2's system (which is essentially TP and CC mixed... sorta) is my favorite.
In fact, that's the only game with a CC-like system that I even liked! Xillia doesn't seem like it manages to mix the two well though. That much I agree with.

Voror

Yes, you can. Up to Hard on a first playthrough., Unknown (a step higher than hard) is unlocked after a first playthrough.

Gah, that bugs me still. I liked unlocking the highest in Graces after so many battles in the difficulty before it.

Do higher difficulties confer any bonuses of any sort or just the challenge?

Dio

Banned
Then why not play Trails for... nm, gonna be awhile before we get anything beyond the first game.
Hey, that's not fair. That plot and those characters are far better than anything that's ever appeared in any Tales game in history. Then again, I'm biased.

Also the combat system is great too. It's like playing Grandia.

Top Bottom