• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Chake

Banned
I'm 12 hours into ToS, and really enjoying it so far. I have been meaning to play this for a long time, but they don't sell that much Gamecube games here, so ah well.

The story and characters seem okay for the time being, a little on the safe side, but bearable. The overworld soundtrack is so freaking annoying, i would go as far as saying the whole game ST (so far) isn't to my liking. Combat is simple enough, though i can't get pass more than 12 combos T_T

And then there is ToA ....... ehhh, this game just feels so cheaply made, everything is alright i guess, but i dunno. The game feels like it was made by three guys in a course of a year.

Could someone compare ToX to ToS to me? in terms of Story/Party/Combat/ST?

RetroMG

So I have an addon for Firefox that's supposed to show me when a product can be found for a lower price somewhere else. I went to look at the product page for Xillia, and it told me the game could be found for $8.00 elsewhere. Curious, I took a look and was linked to this - Avery WorkSaver Big Tab Insertable Divider.

Hey, also, are the included DLC costumes different between the two versions of the game?

Sorian

Banned
It takes all of the excitement out of reaching new towns.

The only excitement I've ever gotten at reaching a new town is that there might be a side-quest in the town.
Or that it might be the town that I finally get thrown into jail (favorite RPG trope)

Rhapsody

Banned
Depending on how you dumped your loot into the shops, it even takes excitement out of finding treasures in dungeons now.

I think that's one problem I had in both Xillias. Finding treasure wasn't too exciting in fields or dungeons. Too many contained loot and healing items. Some contained good/key items. Would've liked more equipment scattered about though.

I think that's one problem I had in both Xillias. Finding treasure wasn't too exciting in fields or dungeons. Too many contained loot and healing items. Some contained good/key items. Would've liked more equipment scattered about though.

It is funny that they took out the problem I usually had with treasure in Tales game in that I would have already bought most of the equips they give you in dungeons the town earlier.

Now, all the equips I found in Xillia 1 were usually terrible compared to what I had equipped due to the shop system.

The shop build system replaces both cooking and item/equipment synthesis from other games. You have to take enemy drops and items you find on the otherwise barren fields and put them toward leveling up each type of shop in the game. Doing so adds new inventory to the shops, and gives you discounts on things you already unlocked. I really don't like this because it's a major homogenization of unique systems. On top of that, leveling these shops is the only way for stores to get new inventory. Every shop in the world has the exact same inventory -- whatever you have from leveling the shops. That means when you get to a new town, you will most certainly never utter "ooh, I wonder what's new to buy" because you already know. It's the same stuff that was available in the last town, and every other town in the game.

Damn, that's a real bummer. I've always loved going to new town in JRPGs, especially in the DQ series, to purchase new equipment. "Do I purchase the oak club now? Or wait until the next town and buy the copper sword?"

*Sigh* Guess I'll have to deal with it.

RPGCrazied

Um. I had every right to complain about the Xenoblade one. Maybe not so much with getting Xillia. But I waited over a month and a half to finally get my copy of Xenoblade. My first importing experience was completely ruined. I'm just really excited for Xillia, been following the game ever since it was announced years ago. So, I got the release date shipping when I saw it available.

And this is really tame compared to then, I had every right to complain though. Just never buy from Zavvi again, that's all there is to it.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone got a link to all the DLC costumes released in Japan so far?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Too many contained loot and healing items.
And then half of the time I had to put those back since I was at max for healing items. >_<

I want to see new Tales games nix the item cap because it's just kinda dumb now.

Now, all the equips I found in Xillia 1 were usually terrible compared to what I had equipped due to the shop system.
Yep. I usually kept levelling that sucker up and it rendered some of the equipment treasures I found antiquated or useless as a result. But you can't stop levelling the shop system up because of the weakness weapons you'd need for a dungeon.

how's the music in Xillia? I always found the Tales series to have really solid music. Even the god awful legendia has good music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
how's the music in Xillia? I always found the Tales series to have really solid music. Even the god awful legendia has good music.
It's good:

Honourable Mentions

Tales of Xillia (Motoi Sakuraba)
Motoi Sakuraba was the only composer credited on this album. While we know Sakuraba sticks to a rather rigid formula for Tales soundtracks (or game soundtracks in general if we want to get picky), he does take a bit of a departure here and there. In-game, the soundtrack works very well, with many of the melodies fitting a lot of the landscapes and the battle music standing out the most. As a result of some of these departures taken, I think Sakuraba has composed a rather mature Tales soundtrack, one of the best in the entire series, with varying musical genres and entertaining compositional work.

Some of the tracks that sound more atmospheric than your typical Sakuraba tracks include The Root of Evil and Rampant Malice. I had listened to the soundtrack out of context prior to playing the game, so these struck me as pretty different. They work very well in the game. The town themes are also great and interesting (since Sakuraba rather than Tamura composed them), with A Merchant Town Full of Life and A Royal City Enveloped by the Night. Tender pieces like Illuminated by the Sunlight, and sombre pieces like The Meaning of the Mission are just wonderfully arranged and have great instrumentation with piano (and violin in the latter piece). There is a lot of eastern influence seen in pieces like A Mountain Village in the Dawn as well, which enhances those setpieces&#8217; Eastern-based aesthetics very well. Sakuraba also returns to some of his bombastic composition in Believe in Me, and it&#8217;s certainly nice to hear once again. He also infuses some nice jazz in A City of Another Civilization, something I enjoy listening to from time to time outside of the game.

I like the Tales battle music. I like the driving guitars and the rapid tempo, so themes like Indomitable Fists that Know No Equal (which I think is one of the best pieces he&#8217;s ever composed in this manner, btw, with the blazing guitars and the brass addition) and That Fist, Blinking Decision don&#8217;t put me off at all. I played through Jude&#8217;s portion of the game first, so I didn&#8217;t hear the Milla battle themes much until I played her section in a NG+. My Sword Shall Open the Way and The School Outfit DLC battle theme sound great and somewhat refreshing with the awesome violin work in them. (Spoiler for final boss music:) Battle for a Future to Believe In is also one of the best resolutions to a soundtrack that I&#8217;ve heard him compose with the choral and orchestral sample work.​

MilkBeard

Awful lead character. I wanted him to just say "eat shit, Dad, I'm taking my bro and the maid and we're going to become Richard's boduguards and there's nothing you can do about it" in the childhood arc, but he just let people shit all over him. Disgusting.

He's not THAT bad. He is pretty much a generic main character, but the contrast of his personality with Hubert and some of the other characters made it enjoyable for me.

And I don't care what other people say about the Hubert/Pascal thing, I enjoyed that quite a bit in L&L. I don't see how people can say it came out of left field unless they missed all the skits in the main game where it was hinted at pretty heavily.

All this Graces f hate makes me sad, because that game, despite some of it's weaknesses, is one of the most complete/feature rich games I've ever played, with one of the best battle systems I've ever played. Maybe I just care more about really well developed gameplay systems and side stories/skits than some people. I don't know, it's kind of hard to be satisfied with most stories from video games in general, because they are all pretty campy compared to reading literature. That being said, it did have it's weaknesses, even for being a video game, but what can you do. You either like it or you don't. Personally I would be satisfied if they took all the gameplay systems of Graces f and reused them with a completely new world/story built around it. That's how much I like the 'gameplay' of Graces.
I'm currently at 90 hours on my first play through and I've still got to beat the boss of L&L and then tackle Zhonecage. Playing it again has made me pretty excited for Xillia, and I'm okay with the fact that Xillia is a much leaner experience.
I am a fan of, say, The Last Story's leanness compared to a game like Xenoblade which has a lot more built into it, simply because TLS a lot of fun and had a consistent pace, and Xenoblade (IMO) was a boring slog through 80% of the game.

Voror

I don't think it's the features and battle system people dislike about Graces. All that tends to get lots of praise and deservedly so in my opinion.

But the characters and plot are pretty mediocre, which is where the criticisms I have seen mainly come from. I've seen a few say Rebirth is worse, but I have no familiarity with that game and as such can't comment.

It's more that the battle system deserved better really.

It's good:

wow, if this is his best Tales work so far I have high hopes. I want to post some fav tracks of his, should I do that here or in the tales community thread?

I'm currently at 90 hours on my first play through and I've still got to beat the boss of L&L and then tackle Zhonecage.

zhonecage is awesome, and very difficult. Enjoy racking up almost 1 million exp per fight though. Your characters will level up very quickly if you can survive in there.

MilkBeard

It's more that the battle system deserved better really.

I can understand this. Graces f's gameplay system paired with a top notch story would probably be the best game ever made, for me. But as it stands, a lot of JRPGs this gen have had some serious compromises. Being a huge Star Ocean fan, I had to swallow the bittersweet pill that is The Last Hope, but I ended up really enjoying the second half of that game despite some of its major flaws.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
He went full "worst Tales lead" when he admitted in a skit that, had he been in Richard's place, he would have done the same.

Just awful, awful.

And how everyone in his group knew better but always gave in because there was no arguing with a child.

Or how he basically stops leading entirely after the game's halfway point. Most Tales protagonists (that aren't Yuri) have a long stretch of uselessness but tend to get over it. Asbel become so indecisive and useless though that he stopped taking charge entirely and the game would've never progressed had it not been for Malik and Pascal taking over. His only saving grace (get it?) in life is that Cheria has a fetish for whiny useless boys.

I can't think of another Tales of protagonist who actually gets worse as the game goes on.

He went full "worst Tales lead" when he admitted in a skit that, had he been in Richard's place, he would have done the same.

Just awful, awful.

The more I play through that game, the less tolerable Asbel becomes.

Asbel: It's okay Richard, I know you
invaded my hometown and probably killed hundreds of innocent people that I knew throughout my childhood, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends!

MilkBeard

Asbel become so indecisive and useless though that he stopped taking charge entirely and the game would've never progressed had it not been for Malik and Pascal taking over.

Not sure what's wrong with this part. Made the other characters stand out, gave them some importance. The game's not just all about Asbel, and fortunately so. I particularly like Hubert and his stiffness, contrasted with Abel's overly gushy/cheesy nature. Also Malik is cool. Pascal actually started to really annoy me at some point, but she has some really funny moments.

Not only that but I think the whole twist with
Lambda being absorbed by Asbel is really cool. I did NOT expect that, and it gave a nice twist, especially because you get to continue playing the game that way.

Just sayin.

Eusis

I also got the impression that for Grace f the normal difficulty didn't really do the combat system justice whereas it shined on higher difficulties, so perhaps people were getting bored anyway. Whenever I try it again (never got far, forget what distracted me then) I'll definitely run with one of the higher difficulties.

Voror

I can understand this. Graces f's gameplay system paired with a top notch story would probably be the best game ever made, for me. But as it stands, a lot of JRPGs this gen have had some serious compromises. Being a huge Star Ocean fan, I had to swallow the bittersweet pill that is The Last Hope, but I ended up really enjoying the second half of that game despite some of its major flaws.

Indeed, it might even have been considered the best Tales game ever made if that was the case. And it is true that a lot of JRPGs have had massive problems, though I think it ultimately led to many of them just not being worth it.

Most really good games manage to have what they get right simply overshadow what's wrong with the game. A great story or experience can make up for bad controls or an extremely good battle system or controls can make up for mediocre story.

Graces falls in the latter of course, though the story and characters do seem distracting still.

Then you have those games that do both right although I'm not sure what might be considered like that.

FSLink

Banned
Never played a Tales game before but that battle system looks fun as hell...gives me Star Ocean vibes in a way.

Fun fact, the first Star Ocean and first Tales (Tales of Phantasia on Super Famicom) were developed by WolfTeam, so they're sister series. They differ pretty differently in battle systems now, since Tales dropped the long range/short range after Phantasia. They still have some similarities like they both tend to use Sakuraba as their composer, and the 30% healing for items.

Rhapsody

Banned
And how everyone in his group knew better but always gave in because there was no arguing with a child.

Or how he basically stops leading entirely after the game's halfway point. Most Tales protagonists (that aren't Yuri) have a long stretch of uselessness but tend to get over it. Asbel become so indecisive and useless though that he stopped taking charge entirely and the game would've never progressed had it not been for Malik and Pascal taking over. His only saving grace (get it?) in life is that Cheria has a fetish for whiny useless boys.

I can't think of another Tales of protagonist who actually gets worse as the game goes on.

I wanted to facepalm early in the game when Asbel tries to ambush the enemy, but their own city gets ambushed during that plan. I know he couldn't really have forseen that, but it was still pretty hilarious.

Eusis

Most really good games manage to have what they get right simply overshadow what's wrong with the game. A great story or experience can make up for bad controls or an extremely good battle system or controls can make up for mediocre story.
I tend to feel of the two extremes (bad gameplay/controls great story, bad story great gameplay) the one favoring gameplay will always be preferable for games. Granted games WILL challenge that notion by making story terrible and unskippable, but a story can be enjoyed outside of the form of a game, or even that game's specific story via Let's Plays or any other means of watching/following another's playthrough. Gameplay is something wholly unique to video games however, at best you pick another game with great gameplay but great or non-existent story, but you can't really get a full on replacement short of someone doing a damn good clone while picking up on the fact the story sucked for the game it's copying.

Though it's definitely a tossup to me if it's great gameplay and tolerable story, or tolerable gameplay but great story. I'd probably just like both equally but in different ways.

MilkBeard

Then you have those games that do both right although I'm not sure what might be considered like that.

There haven't been many lately.

I used to love RPGs mainly for story but that was a long time ago; I started paying more attention to gameplay and also little things like character interaction (basically the skits in Tales make the game for me, whether the story is interesting or not) because RPG stories stopped really being interesting in themselves to me once I got into my 20's.

I really can't name one JRPG this gen that wowed me with its story. Getting out of JRPGs in general, the only 'Video Game' that wowed me with its story this gen was Bioshock Infinite. But that game had its own compromises.

Back on topic, I'm not really expecting too much from the story of Tales of Xillia, but if it's better than Graces then I'll be pretty satisfied.

FSLink

Banned
I also got the impression that for Grace f the normal difficulty didn't really do the combat system justice whereas it shined on higher difficulties, so perhaps people were getting bored anyway. Whenever I try it again (never got far, forget what distracted me then) I'll definitely run with one of the higher difficulties.

Normal difficulty you can spam random moves and get by. I can definitely see why some people complained it was button mashy if it's arguably the best 3D battle system in the series. Hard mode and above you really have to take advantage of well timed dodges, forged equipment, and weaknesses.

MilkBeard

Fun fact, the first Star Ocean and first Tales (Tales of Phantasia on Super Famicom) were developed by WolfTeam, so they're sister series. They differ pretty differently in battle systems now, since Tales dropped the long range/short range after Phantasia. They still have some similarities like they both tend to use Sakuraba as their composer, and the 30% healing for items.

This is a pretty cool little tidbit; back in the early days I felt that Tales and Star Ocean were very, very similar. They even used similar emoticon sprites, had very similar action-rpg battle systems (albeit Tales was full on side-view) and the music was very similar too.

Normal difficulty you can spam random moves and get by. I can definitely see why some people complained it was button mashy if it's arguably the best 3D battle system in the series. Hard mode and above you really have to take advantage of well timed dodges, forged equipment, and weaknesses.

yup and on the highest difficult setting enemies one hits you.

MilkBeard

I played the game on normal until about 10 or so hours in, and then I switched it up to moderate difficulty for the rest of the game. Moderate is a good balance for anyone looking for a decent challenge without it being too crazy. It was the perfect setting for me IMO.

Eusis

I played the game on normal until about 10 or so hours in, and then I switched it up to moderate difficulty for the rest of the game. Moderate is a good balance for anyone looking for a decent challenge without it being too crazy. It was the perfect setting for me IMO.
Sounds like what I'd want, I recall there was at least one higher difficulty but forgot which people felt best, but that makes sense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is a pretty cool little tidbit; back in the early days I felt that Tales and Star Ocean were very, very similar. They even used similar emoticon sprites, had very similar action-rpg battle systems (albeit Tales was full on side-view) and the music was very similar too.
Same composer!

Sounds like what I'd want, I recall there was at least one higher difficulty but forgot which people felt best, but that makes sense.
It was either Evil or Chaos depending on what floated your boat.

MilkBeard

Desperately trying to beat Graces L&L before Xillia hits!

Make sure to go go back to the different characters' cities of origin and you will come across some extra fun skits/side events. Nothing too big but they are fun to watch.
Pascal + Hubert 4eva.....jk

Voror

I tend to feel of the two extremes (bad gameplay/controls great story, bad story great gameplay) the one favoring gameplay will always be preferable for games. Granted games WILL challenge that notion by making story terrible and unskippable, but a story can be enjoyed outside of the form of a game, or even that game's specific story via Let's Plays or any other means of watching/following another's playthrough. Gameplay is something wholly unique to video games however, at best you pick another game with great gameplay but great or non-existent story, but you can't really get a full on replacement short of someone doing a damn good clone while picking up on the fact the story sucked for the game it's copying.

Though it's definitely a tossup to me if it's great gameplay and tolerable story, or tolerable gameplay but great story. I'd probably just like both equally but in different ways.

I've come to be more on that side of the spectrum as well since good gameplay can keep me entertained. I also can't say I've played too many games where the story was really that terrible, though Graces certainly falls more towards the bottom in that regard.

One example of a game that had a great story but not really good gameplay to me would be Asura's Wrath. I love that game despite it not really being that much of a game.

There haven't been many lately.

I used to love RPGs mainly for story but that was a long time ago; I started paying more attention to gameplay and also little things like character interaction (basically the skits in Tales make the game for me, whether the story is interesting or not) because RPG stories stopped really being interesting in themselves to me once I got into my 20's.

I really can't name one JRPG this gen that wowed me with its story. Getting out of JRPGs in general, the only 'Video Game' that wowed me with its story this gen was Bioshock Infinite. But that game had its own compromises.

Back on topic, I'm not really expecting too much from the story of Tales of Xillia, but if it's better than Graces then I'll be pretty satisfied.

I'm having trouble thinking of what exactly would fall in that category of stuff that's come out in the past. I really liked Xenoblade's story, characters, and gameplay, though I know not everyone did.

The one thing Tales games tend to get right aside from a fun battle system is in character reactions even if the main story is less than spectacular. Though I've tended to find some of the stories in the games alright aside from that previously described point where the whole thing drags.

I can't think of too many games that wowed me either. I tend to just really enjoy it or at least think it was okay. One thing I've become more sensitive too though is bad writing or plotholes like in the new Tomb Raider.

I've heard from several that Xillia and Xillia 2 together make for a really good story, though of course I can't account for that personally.

I originally upped the difficulty to Chaos once I found out it gave more SP for titles and better items and materials. I kept it up afterwards because the game felt too easy otherwise.

I'd put the game on the easiest setting only to get the 60 second trophy, then redo the fight on Chaos. Which is cheating I suppose, but whatever. Except for Kurt because I just couldn't beat that guy no matter how many different ways I tried.

Top Bottom