• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

OnFire331

Yes, you can. Up to Hard on a first playthrough., Unknown (a step higher than hard) is unlocked after a first playthrough.

Great, I'll start on Hard then. The last game I started on a higher difficulty on a first playthrough was on BbS and it just felt right.

Voror

Hey, that's not fair. That plot and those characters are far better than anything that's ever appeared in any Tales game in history. Then again, I'm biased.

Also the combat system is great too. It's like playing Grandia.

Reminds me I need to get that off PSN at some point given all the glowing things I've heard about the story.

Higher XP bonus multipliers provided you score higher-hitting combos.

Well, better than nothing at all and serves as good encouragement to experiment.

Jathaine

Reminds me I need to get that off PSN at some point given all the glowing things I've heard about the story.

I haven't finished it yet (I'm in the 4th 'area') but so far the story isn't all that great but the characters themselves are pretty awesome. I'm assuming that's what people mean... unless the story really starts to pick up soon.

Dio

Banned
I haven't finished it yet (I'm in the 4th 'area') but so far the story isn't all that great but the characters themselves are pretty awesome. I'm assuming that's what people mean... unless the story really starts to pick up soon.

The story compounds upon itself, and it gets more and more complex near the end. The story, for me, is great because it's about people who aren't the most important ones in the world - a lot more things that are much more important than you are happening behind the scenes and you will start to see the hidden machinations as you progress through the game. It really adds to a sense of wonder that wouldn't be possible if you were 'the chosen one' and everything revolved around you.

I won't spoil anything but near the end you will be floored and once you finish the game you will really, REALLY want to play the sequel which hasn't been translated yet.

It's also the only game I've ever seen that has a unique line of text for every single treasure box in the entire game when you go back to look into it when it's empty, often a joke for you to chuckle at.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually wasn't enamoured by FC like the majority of GAF seemed to be. I had to restart the silly thing because I just wasn't getting into it. Same thing kinda happened with SC, too. I like the worldbuilding and politics above all, to be honest with you. SC had a nice closing, too, which was worth going through both games, even if I didn't enjoy them as much.

But 3rd? 3rd is awwwwweeeesommmme. I finally appreciated the characters and the narrative for what they were, and that's just because the game focuses more on that angle, or at least on the side characters from the previous two games.

Shouta

Story picks up greatly towards the middle. It's a pretty packed story overall and very little fluff to it.

Brain fart: You're talking about trails? First game is a bit slow but does pick up in the middle. 2nd is fantastic though.

Voror

The characters were the thing I'd heard made the story so good for the most part. Though the fact the other games are unlikely to come over makes the whole thing bittersweet.

Dio

Banned
The characters were the thing I'd heard made the story so good for the most part. Though the fact the other games are unlikely to come over makes the whole thing bittersweet.
SC is coming, it's just on 'the backburner' according to XSEED. They've been working on it for years.

Dio

Banned
tales elitism lawl

I hope my PS3 survives xillia because the last of us has practically killed it.

Yeah, the thing a lot of people forget is that every Tales game is 'anime cliche the video game' - even Symphonia fans shit on the other games because they perceive them to be 'too anime' even though every single Tales is chock full of that stuff. They're a product of their times - sometimes they even subvert cliches to make for a 'twist'.

Voror

Yeah, the thing a lot of people forget is that every Tales game is 'anime cliche the video game' - even Symphonia fans shit on the other games because they perceive them to be 'too anime' even though every single Tales is chock full of that stuff. They're a product of their times - sometimes they even subvert cliches to make for a 'twist'.

I always tended to think one of the things Tales did was taking cliches and subverting them. Though in doing so they've gone ahead and created cliches that pretty much every game has.

There's always a Forest, Cave, Desert, Winter, and usually some kind of Technological area. Though in truth that can be found in many RPGs I suppose.

For the characters, there's pretty much always some little kid and someone who turns traitor if only for a while among others.

MechaX

If you're impatient and crazy for content like I am, this person has the first 3-4 hours of the game on his youtube channel.

No JYB, but there is certainly Ali Hillis.
Voicing a character that looks like Lightning in semi-bondage gear nonetheless.

And the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that Milla's clothes is just one big fashion disaster. I might actually drop money on the Dhaos costume if that comes out day one as well.

FSLink

Banned
If you're impatient and crazy for content like I am, this person has the first 3-4 hours of the game on his youtube channel.

I like Elize's voice but...Teepo is disappointing so far.

EDIT: Yeah it's mixed, he sounds good in some lines and others it's meh. I think it's more of delivery than the voice itself.

Poke

Neo Member
There's a few english youtube videos for Xillia. I'm not one to complain about dubs but that girl in pink in the lab at the start of the game is really hamming it up, haha.

wilflare

Is the LE like much bigger? I've been getting emails from my local store that postage will require additional cost due to the increased size and weight of the items...

The artbooklet seem light..

Top Bottom