• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Thoraxes

Woop woop, I got Wednesday all day off so I am gonna binge game this one.

For those who say to play Jude for the intro to get a grip on the story, about when should I stop as him and switch to Milla? I wanna play as her.

Mieu

How long is the game?

Around 50 hours. Around 80+ hours to have it platinumed.

Does this game have the same problem Vesperia had with missables?

Some side quests are missable. Timebound.

Man, juggling this with Dragon's Crown is gonna be painful.

Dragon's Crown has been released early here. Already out of stock.

Is it getting released for the PSN store too?

EU PSN Store I am sure there was announcement. I didn't see any ads for the US STore

It's one theme, but the wallpaper images just change whenever you come from the PS store, from a game, etc.

So, Jude, Milla, Leia, Alvin, Rowen, and Elize all have one to themselves, then there's one with the girls, one with the guys, one with the entire cast, and one with the title screen background. They just rotate whenever you come back to the XMB from something like a game or the PS Store or when you boot the system up.

Edit: The Xillia 2 one kind of has the same thing going on. Every character has their own wallpaper, one with the girls, one with the guys, one with everyone, one with a background.

We're getting Xillia 2 right? Or did I just imagine that announcement?

Yes, and I've got both pre-order bonuses from their original release dates including the key chains. Does anyone have it here too? (Jude and Milla Keychains)

Ugh I'm trying to decide now on whether to pick this up at launch or just buy Tales of the Abyss 3DS and Ni No Kuni right now... I've been hearing quite a bit a buzz about Xillia though, can anyone compare it to Symphonia or Vesperia in terms of Story/Gameplay quality?

Symphonia and Vesperia.. they are hard to compare because both are really good but Xillia is like both of them combined.

Woop woop, I got Wednesday all day off so I am gonna binge game this one.

For those who say to play Jude for the intro to get a grip on the story, about when should I stop as him and switch to Milla? I wanna play as her.

Well if you just want to see the intro part, probably after the first dungeon. There are other parts of the story that doesn't get explained in Milla's side that does get in Jude's though.

Yes, and I've got both pre-order bonuses from their original release dates including the key chains. Does anyone have it here too? (Jude and Milla Keychains)

I have the Milla keychain from the JP release of Xillia 1. I never picked up Xillia 2 though.

I like doing crazy combos when they're easy as heck to do like in DotNW; Speed Cast 8 and keep castin' Photon. That's all you need babeh.

9999+ hit combos are definitely not hard to pull off, and they're beneficial to you since you'll get the XP bonuses for it.

You can pull them off with one character, even. :p

I don't mean strictly combo's that reach the combo counter limit but more like flashy/interesting combo's that make use of things like guard/arte/spell cancelling.

This is a good example of what I mean.

Oh cool, got the Amazon shipped your copy email.

How exciting.
Even though I won't be playing the English version anytime soon.

wilflare

Ugh I'm trying to decide now on whether to pick this up at launch or just buy Tales of the Abyss 3DS and Ni No Kuni right now... I've been hearing quite a bit a buzz about Xillia though, can anyone compare it to Symphonia or Vesperia in terms of Story/Gameplay quality?

same. :/ probably won't get down to play it anytime soon.
and the goodies don't seem worth the effort

FSLink

Banned
So I just realized the localization called Elize "Elly" sometimes...should be fun to see how they differentiate that name from Elle in Xillia 2.

ohlawd

So I just realized the localization called Elize "Elly" sometimes...should be fun to see how they differentiate that name from Elle in Xillia 2.

But Elle is normally pronounced as the letter "L" so that shouldn't be an issue.

edit: oh wait do they pronounce Elle as "Elly" in Xillia 2?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dragon's Crown has been released early here. Already out of stock.

Good thing I got it right away. Even the Vita version is gone.

Rpgmonkey

The game has been out in Japan for a while, right?

Anybody know how it was received/is regarded in Japan?

The general vibe I've gotten from posts and user reviews is that it's pretty disappointing for what was expected of it, and the most common user score usually places it around the middle. Seen as competent enough to not be one of the worst Tales games, but doesn't go the extra mile to be all that amazing either, I guess?

I'm don't think the same kind of hype or expectations exists elsewhere though, so some of the common complaints might be better received or tolerated.

Rhapsody

Banned
9999+ hit combos are definitely not hard to pull off, and they're beneficial to you since you'll get the XP bonuses for it.

You can pull them off with one character, even. :p

I think learning that with Rowen along with learning how amazing the burn status was in Xillia, ruined part of the magic for me for battles lol

wilflare

hope GAF can post more pictures of the retail goodies when they get them! It may push me over the line to keep my preorder (or not.. since I got to cancel soon)

Mieu

The game has been out in Japan for a while, right?

Anybody know how it was received/is regarded in Japan?

Well, it was received positively. Namco was happy with the numbers they got from the sales. I think it shipped around more than 700K units. That's pretty neat for a PS3 JRPG exclusive.

Sad thing is, no Namco Isle, No Cameo Coliseum challenge, overly priced costumes, ( the free costumes are fewer) We were expecting Jude VS Senel on the arena but Namco said, it's the complete game (then they released TOX 2... pfft)

if I remember it right, they intended to have a POV gameplay for Gaius. (can't find the link)

Code:
Good thing I got it right away. Even the Vita version is gone.

Actually, I remember it being sold in a Music Shop costing roughly $10 more hihih.

Ravage

Woah, both Xillia (2nd copy for my bro) and Dragon Crown was sold out immediately after i placed my preorder. That was close :O

edit: No themes for the LE edition??

kirby2096

Cancelled my ToX pre-order with Tesco and instead ordered at GAME for £7 more. I just know I'll regret not having those ToP costumes codes on hand when I want to use them..
Send help!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Saw this at my local store... I've only heard about this. How good is this, compared to other Tales-games? The last Tales-game I really liked with Symphonia and Phantasia... so how good is this one? What's different about this?

Bladenic

Status changed to "Shipping Soon." Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow and play. Unfortunately I don't have a full day off until Saturday to play full stop.

Ark

Cancelled my ToX pre-order with Tesco and instead ordered at GAME for £7 more. I just know I'll regret not having those ToP costumes codes on hand when I want to use them..
Send help!

Are GAME doing the Day-One edition? I've got my pre-order with Amazon at the moment for all of £2 less. I'm only interested in the theme though, but I'd like to know what it is before I plunge :p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm feeling a lot of.... sexual related things being discussed in this game. More than I remember at least.

was watching kayo's preview thingy.

i wish he would explain whats going on in combat :(

also why is the combat screen at this weird titled angle? It's kinda distracting.

Aeana

I'm feeling a lot of.... sexual related things being discussed in this game. More than I remember at least.
Yeah, there are. You can't understand Japanese, right? So it isn't a surprise that you didn't catch them when you played before!

aravuus

I still don't know if I'm excited or not lol, even though Tales of Vesperia is probably my favorite RPG this gen and The Abyss, Graces F and Symphonia are all awesome games.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, there are. You can't understand Japanese, right? So it isn't a surprise that you didn't catch them when you played before!

I can understand much of spoken Japanese. Just not written.=/ I just skipped all skits in the Japanese one so I missed a lot of them in the skits. .

Bururian

So I got my copy today. Just got home with it, actually. It's nice that the LE is the standard $60. I might not get to it for a little while yet though, since I'm about halfway through Eternal Sonata, and I really want to finish this game before I move onto another game.

Gave in and pre-ordered. Hoping it arrives next week and not this week so I can focus on finals. All I'm hoping is that this game is better than Graces in every aspect besides the gameplay.

kyoakuma

Banned
what is the best way to approach this game? I know if you take the guys route you get a better picture of the story. But should i play the girls route first, stop when the two meet and start the guys and play through to get a complete picture? or is that a waste?

I think learning that with Rowen along with learning how amazing the burn status was in Xillia, ruined part of the magic for me for battles lol

From what I seen, the weakness system trivializes battles even more in Xillia 2, lol.

I'm in the same boat, will probably play through it twice. Does it have NG+?

Yes, NG+ with the normal Grade Shop which will trivialize even Unknown Mode.

Makes boss fights pretty fun at the cost of making normal encounters oh so boring. ~_~

kirby2096

Are GAME doing the Day-One edition? I've got my pre-order with Amazon at the moment for all of £2 less. I'm only interested in the theme though, but I'd like to know what it is before I plunge :p

The Day One edition should be available from any retailer if you pre-order. The PS3 theme is a nice extra, though it's probably gonna be uploaded by someone for all to use.

I went into my local GAME store last week and enquired about the ToX release since I didn't see any promotional material on display. The clerk didn't know anything about it, and they didn't even have it down on their upcoming game releases print out.

I think that if you haven't preordered, it's going to be really hard to find ToX in person.

what is the best way to approach this game? I know if you take the guys route you get a better picture of the story. But should i play the girls route first, stop when the two meet and start the guys and play through to get a complete picture? or is that a waste?

You would get a complete intro but not a complete picture of the overall plot since they split up again quite a few times into the game so you would basically have to play both sides almost all the way to see everything. It's better to play one side first then the other with grade shop bonuses.

Why do you say that?

From what videos I seen, it looks like you could cheese fights even easier than how this game is through spamming Crag Waltz or something similar.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahaha at kayos finally learning about the innuendo in Xillia.

From what videos I seen, it looks like you could cheese fights even easier than how this game is through spamming Crag Waltz or something similar.
Guns are overpowered, too, like FSLink was mentioning to me the other day. In fact, it's easily exploitable enough for XP bonuses, too.

The weakness system really does trivialize a lot of the battles in that regard sometimes, you're right. In regular battles, you can easily lock enemies into a combo by using their weakness (even with 1 Damage equipped), and in boss battles, you can probably get away with taking advantage of weaknesses to make battles shorter.

Top Bottom