• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

chrono01

My evidence comes from the unboxing pictures posted from JustPushStart as well as a user on another forum that got his game early from Club Namco in the US [he did an unboxing video too]. He posted a picture of his DLC voucher [code obviously not included].

Here are the pictures of both:

Limited Edition DLC Voucher:

ibn4DO7mdtiuGb.jpg

Collector's Edition DLC Voucher:

Notice no PS3 theme mentioned on the Limited Edition voucher but it's clearly there in the picture of the Collector's Edition. I wonder why they didn't advertise this?

Is Tales of Abyss a good one to start with? I have a 360 but I hate playing on it these days so unless Vesperia is the best thing ever for a newcomer to start the series with I'd like to hear your guy thoughts.

Is Tales of Abyss a good one to start with? I have a 360 but I hate playing on it these days so unless Vesperia is the best thing ever for a newcomer to start the series with I'd like to hear your guy thoughts.

I would take Vesperia over just about any Tales game but I might be biased. I think almost universally though people would choose Vesperia over Abyss though.

Kumubou

It turns out that Vesperia probably is the best game for a newcomer to start with. :x It was the second game in the series I played (I played a fair bit of Symphonia and didn't really like it) and I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed playing it, and it's my favorite in the series (although my experience is rather limited, having only played Vesperia, Symphonia, Graces F and Abyss).

Yuripaw

Banned
I am so happy gamestop.com got more copys of the Collector's Edition available. I was real bummed when I missed the chance to preorder it before at my local store, but was gonna settle on the regular LE. Soon as the orders for more CE's came up, I got one ordered right away ^_^

I honestly have no idea how I'll enjoy this particular Tales game, I still haven't beaten any of the previous games in the series besides Tales of Graces F, and it seems like a lot of folks on gaf don't even like that game much...personally I loved it.

I would take Vesperia over just about any Tales game but I might be biased. I think almost universally though people would choose Vesperia over Abyss though.

It turns out that Vesperia probably is the best game for a newcomer to start with. :x It was the second game in the series I played (I played a fair bit of Symphonia and didn't really like it) and I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed playing it, and it's my favorite in the series (although my experience is rather limited, having only played Vesperia, Symphonia, Graces F and Abyss).

Man I might have to dust off my 360 then :( lol why did M$ have to buy out Vesperia, I want it on ps3.

Cheska

My evidence comes from the unboxing pictures posted from JustPushStart as well as a user on another forum that got his game early from Club Namco in the US [he did an unboxing video too]. He posted a picture of his DLC voucher [code obviously not included].

Here are the pictures of both:

Limited Edition DLC Voucher:

Collector's Edition DLC Voucher:

Notice no PS3 theme mentioned on the Limited Edition voucher but it's clearly there in the picture of the Collector's Edition. I wonder why they didn't advertise this?

Just to verify, the collector's edition is the one with the statue right? I really wish they would have just named on Collector's Edition and the the non-figure version Day One Edition or something. This CE/LE stuff is confusing.

chrono01

are the themes nice? I still use the graces one on my US account
Haha, I'm still using the Tales of Graces f theme as well! I have another PS3 theme to look forward to, as well [the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F one for pre-orders]!

As for how these will be, I'm not sure. I'm assuming one of them will be the one Japan got in the X Edition as well as early pre-orders released there. Here's a screenshot of Milla and, supposedly, if cycles between characters each time you turn it on.

I can't seem to find anything on the supposed second one, though. Either it's something new, or maybe it'll be the one included with Tales of Xillia 2?

Just to verify, the collector's edition is the one with the statue right? I really wish they would have just named on Collector's Edition and the the non-figure version Day One Edition or something. This CE/LE stuff is confusing.
You got it!

The Collector's Edition comes with the game, hardcover [mini] artbook with 100-or-so pages, PVC figure, and soundtrack. In addition, I guess it gets two exclusive PS3 themes. The Limited Edition [basically the Day One version] comes with the game, smaller artbook, and the soundtrack. Both Collector's and Limited Editions come with the Costume Pack DLC.

FSLink

Banned
Haha, I'm still using the Tales of Graces f theme as well! I have another PS3 theme to look forward to, as well [the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F one for pre-orders]!

As for how these will be, I'm not sure. I'm assuming one of them will be the one Japan got in the "X Edition" released there. Here's a screenshot of Milla and, supposedly, if cycles between characters each time you turn it on.

ibpj2pnKEP9Ciy.jpg

I can't seem to find anything on the supposed second one, though. Either it's something new, or maybe it'll be the one included with Tales of Xillia 2?

That didn't just come with the X edition, it came with any preorder of the Japanese game. :p

Cheska

You got it!

The Collector's Edition comes with the game, hardcover [mini] artbook with 100-or-so pages, PVC figure, and soundtrack. In addition, I guess it gets two exclusive PS3 themes. The Limited Edition [basically the Day One version] comes with the game, smaller artbook, and the soundtrack. Both Collector's and Limited Editions come with the Costume Pack DLC.

Well then I don't think it's unfair that the people getting the CE are getting an additional theme. They are paying more money for the product..

chrono01

Well then I don't think it's unfair that the people getting the CE are getting an additional theme. They are paying more money for the product..
Yeah, I can understand why they want to include a little something extra for those buying the Collector's Edition [although we are already getting the PVC figure and the larger artbook]. I'm just surprised that it wasn't mentioned anywhere prior.

I'm happy, though, since that's the Edition I went with. I can't see anyone buying the Collector's Edition solely for these themes, unless they're an extreme collector for that sort of thing. However, it might have persuaded people to keep their Collector's Edition pre-orders if they knew that, in addition with all of the items they'll be receiving with it, two PS3 themes were also included.

Jiraiza

As for how these will be, I'm not sure. I'm assuming one of them will be the one Japan got in the X Edition as well as early pre-orders released there. Here's a screenshot of Milla and, supposedly, if cycles between characters each time you turn it on.

You got it!

I have that theme. Cycles between about 4-5 pictures I think. It's too bad countries outside of Japan will never get these cool PS3 bundles though. Imported it myself and that ate into my wallet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, juggling this with Dragon's Crown is gonna be painful.

chrono01

I have that theme. Cycles between about 4-5 pictures I think. It's too bad countries outside of Japan will never get these cool PS3 bundles though. Imported it myself and that ate into my wallet.
I've imported a few items and and I definitely feel your pain [especially for the Special/Limited Editions].

At least we oftentimes get some cool First Press items for doing so! :)

Man, juggling this with Dragon's Crown is gonna be painful.
I'll likely receive both on the same day [Tuesday]. I'm not sure which I'll play first. >_<

I'm thinking Dragon's Crown since it has an online component so it makes sense to play it as much as I can while everyone else is. It's difficult to say how long the community will stay. I really do want to play Tales of Xillia too.

To further add to this, Pikmin 3 should be shipping tomorrow and I have even more games incoming later in the month. August is so full of titles to play, I definitely won't be bored. The only issue is deciding which ones to play first.

FSLink

Banned

It's not unfair, but man, with the confusion of whether the preorder items will be in with the Collector's Edition too awhile back, it seems they need to know how to better advertise what's actually included.

Cheska

It's not unfair, but man, with the confusion of whether the preorder items will be in with the Collector's Edition too awhile back, it seems they need to know how to better advertise what's actually included.

Oh I agree, but then again since when has Namco ever been clear about their products? Let's not forget the awful handling of the Wizard's Edition :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I spent the entire weekend playing Xillia and will have the review ready by tomorrow night up for view by Tuesday morning when embargo lifts. lol.

ohlawd

LE don't get the themes? :/

I like the Milla one. I'm sure I'd like the Leia one, too even doe I haven't seen it yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LE don't get the themes? :/

I like the Milla one. I'm sure I'd like the Leia one, too even doe I haven't seen it yet.
It's one theme, but the wallpaper images just change whenever you come from the PS store, from a game, etc.

So, Jude, Milla, Leia, Alvin, Rowen, and Elize all have one to themselves, then there's one with the girls, one with the guys, one with the entire cast, and one with the title screen background. They just rotate whenever you come back to the XMB from something like a game or the PS Store or when you boot the system up.

Edit: The Xillia 2 one kind of has the same thing going on. Every character has their own wallpaper, one with the girls, one with the guys, one with everyone, one with a background.

Is there alchemy in this one? I want to know if I can sell off my old gear/weapons when possible. I remember needing old weapons/gear in Vesperia to forge better stuff.

chrono01

It's one theme, but the wallpaper images just change whenever you come from the PS store, from a game, etc.

So, Jude, Milla, Leia, Alvin, Rowen, and Elize all have one to themselves, then there's one with the girls, one with the guys, one with the entire cast, and one with the title screen background. They just rotate whenever you come back to the XMB from something like a game or the PS Store or when you boot the system up.
Are you sure there's only one theme?

The Collector's Edition Voucher makes it sound as though there are two themes [15th Anniversary as well as an Xilla Bonus theme], but it's possible maybe they merged it into one [just alternating pictures between past Tales of... titles as well as Xillia?].

Either way, I guess we'll see for sure in a few days!

Aeana

Is there alchemy in this one? I want to know if I can sell off my old gear/weapons when possible. I remember needing old weapons/gear in Vesperia to forge better stuff.
Nope. All interesting Tales systems have been replaced by the shop build system, where you use materials you find in battle/on the field to level up shops to get new inventory in them. Old equipment is useless.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are you sure there's only one theme?
He was talking about the Xillia theme, and that's the one I'd addressed. It'll be the same one that was a preorder bonus for all the JP copies.

Dunno about this 15th anniversary one. I think that one might be new.

No alchemy. None of that sort. All your new gear comes from the shop system.

The only good reason to keep old equipment is if they have some elemental attack or resistance on it so you can abuse the easily abusable elemental system.

chrono01

He was talking about the Xillia theme, and that's the one I'd addressed.
Ah, greatest apologies!

I would take the easy route and say it is late and, thus, my brain was not operating at full capacity, but I will do no such thing!

I very much take full responsibility for my reading comprehension failure.

ohlawd

Edit: The Xillia 2 one kind of has the same thing going on. Every character has their own wallpaper, one with the girls, one with the guys, one with everyone, one with a background.

Cool. Even covered Xillia 2 ;o

Then yeah same as the one for Graces F. Really disliked the rotating stuff though. If only there was a way to keep it rotating to just Pascal and Sophie. Don't wanna see no dudes filling up my screen.

Nope. All interesting Tales systems have been replaced by the shop build system, where you use materials you find in battle/on the field to level up shops to get new inventory in them. Old equipment is useless.

Thanks. Yea, I've seen you unlock stuff by expanding shops either via raw materials or spending gald. Min/maxing at the moment by spending everything on weapons, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to purchase old stuff again as I sold off lesser weapons for more funds.

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
Ugh I'm trying to decide now on whether to pick this up at launch or just buy Tales of the Abyss 3DS and Ni No Kuni right now... I've been hearing quite a bit a buzz about Xillia though, can anyone compare it to Symphonia or Vesperia in terms of Story/Gameplay quality?

You didn't imagine it.

That's good then. :p

When I finish the game this week/next week I can finally see what combo videos people have put up for Xillia since 2 years ago (been keeping myself on a media black out).

I don't think I've seen anyone mention that kind of thing yet. I guess there's only a few people who really like trying to create crazy combo's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
9999+ hit combos are definitely not hard to pull off, and they're beneficial to you since you'll get the XP bonuses for it.

You can pull them off with one character, even. :p

Top Bottom