• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I rather like the JP names for the towns. Didn't actually expect them to radically change them for the localization.

Guess I'll just go with describing towns based off their features now. (Not that it's a hard thing to do)
"The town with the arena where the arena battles don't matter at all in the long run."
"The town with two screens and it's basically nothing of note. The farmer one."
"The one with the pretty sky and the railroad tracks. Whatever they look like railroad tracks."
"That one town with the traders."

Not hard, but when you hit the ports...
"The port that looks like every other port in the game."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For name changes, It's Fennmont, Xian Du, Kanbalar, etc etc.
Is this one supposed to be カラハ・シャール? It seems close to it. Kinda bummed they ended up removing the '・' from everything, though. Ah well.

Shan Du/Jian Du/Xian Du is the same, but it's nice to see that romanized for consistency.

scy

Do all the sidequests.

That's pretty much the only thing that you can really miss.

Well, yeah, just wondering if anything notable on the missable or point of no return scale. Don't remember Graces having anything but it's been forever.

"The town with two screens and it's basically nothing of note. The farmer one."

So half the towns.

Ever.

Getting this and Dragon's Crown the same day is torture, I want to play both at the same time.

I made the decision to pass on Dragon's Crown. And by "made" I mean my original pre-order got cancelled and I forgot to do it again.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is this one supposed to be カラハ・シャール? It seems close to it. Kinda bummed they ended up removing the '・' from everything, tho. Ah well.

Shan Du/Jian Du/Xian Du is the same, but it's nice to see that romanized for consistency.

No. If i recall correctly it was khan bark or something like that in JP.

khaaan

Got a call from home saying there was a delivery. Too bad I won't be able to play till this weekend.

No. If i recall correctly it was khan bark or something like that in JP.

VeAXKaV.png

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't remember tales of graces very well, but I remember my favorite part being that the combo strings had different affinities and then depending on what you were fighting you had to change up your combos to do better damage instead of repeating the same thing over and over. Does this have something similar?

Well, yeah, just wondering if anything notable on the missable or point of no return scale. Don't remember Graces having anything but it's been forever.

Nothing at all really. Only one dungeon becomes unreturnable after you complete it and it's only
Milla's first Part 4 dungeon.

There's only a few sidequests and the main benefit of the dungeon is to bolster up your monster list completion.

Aeana

Is this one supposed to be カラハ・シャール? It seems close to it. Kinda bummed they ended up removing the '・' from everything, though. Ah well.

The ・ isn't necessary in English, because we use spaces.

Rpgmonkey

I don't remember tales of graces very well, but I remember my favorite part being that the combo strings had different affinities and then depending on what you were fighting you had to change up your combos to do better damage instead of repeating the same thing over and over. Does this have something similar?

Xillia 2 does, this doesn't.

ENG version is also more prone to slowdown than the JP one btw.

That would be strange and horrible. The slowdown was already annoying and too common to begin with.

mjc

Decided on the spur of the moment to pick this up along with Dragon's Crown today. Even if I don't get around to playing it soon I feel the need to support the series.

I loved Vesperia but I wasn't a fan of Graces...hopefully I'll like this one.

hard to find a copy of the limited edition round here, gamestop had no left apart from preorders this morning, local target and best buy didnt have any, had to drive to a further away target and picked up 1 of their only 2 copies

scy

All according to keikaku.

Edit: That reminds me, I have like ... a few hours while I wait for UPS to actually finish SMT IV. Uh oh.

demidar

Okay, I just ordered a NA version. I suppose I will give away the costume codes when I get it but I think pretty much everyone in this thread will have gotten that.

Now I just have to remember to buy SMT4 before the month's end to get that 30$ credit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Paid zero attention to this game, and it's apparently out. Will check today to see if it's stores. I've really liked the last few Tales games that came out (Vesperia, Symphonia)

Since she's the main character and she will talk a lot in this game, I don't want to cringe every minute.

It can ruin a game. Arc Rise Fantasia is a really good RPG but the voice acting was so bad it nearly killed it. I endured through it and still enjoyed the game though.

I'm with you there but Xillia is great so I hope you give it a go :)

It's not really her voice that's super bad but more her delivery. I'm not sure if that's the actress specifically or whoever is directing her but there are lots of very odd pauses and weird ways to deliver specific lines. It doesn't feel natural.

I've not played the Japanese original (as I can only understand bits and bobs) so I can't compare but Milla as a character is a bit all over the place when it comes to skits. It could be the translation though...

Milla's voice isn't the worst in comparison to the rest of the cast. Prepare yourself for high pitched anime girls
(Eliza)
, annoying zany sidekick
(Teepo)
, and slightly whiney men
(Jude)
Alvin and Rowen are the most natural and nice sounding characters on the English dub.

The worst thing though is the localisation. I've spotted one or two mistakes already. There are also a few moments where the translation is a bit to literal. Looks good on paper but sounds very strange in conversation.

Though I'm just happy they are bothering to release the Tales of games outside of Japan. I think Namco said Xillia 2 will have dual audio so that should cheer up those who can't stand the English dub.

It's not really her voice that's super bad but more her delivery. I'm not sure if that's the actress specifically or whoever is directing her but there are lots of very odd pauses and weird ways to deliver specific lines. It doesn't feel natural.

That's kinda the point of her character.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I've not played the Japanese original (as I can only understand bits and bobs) so I can't compare but Milla as a character is a bit all over the place when it comes to skits. It could be the translation though...

Milla's voice isn't the worst in comparison to the rest of the cast. Prepare yourself for high pitched anime girls
(Eliza)
, annoying zany sidekick
(Teepo)
, and slightly whiney men
(Jude)
Alvin and Rowen are the most natural and nice sounding characters on the English dub.

The worst thing though is the localisation. I've spotted one or two mistakes already. There are also a few moments where the translation is a bit to literal. Looks good on paper but sounds very strange in conversation.

Though I'm just happy they are bothering to release the Tales of games outside of Japan. I think Namco said Xillia 2 will have dual audio so that should cheer up those who can't stand the English dub.

I was very happy with the English dub for the main cast except for Milla. And Xillia 2 will not have dual-audio. Not sure where you heard that from.

Midou

Just got mine in mail, will play in a few hours and post some impressions later. Among Tales games I've played I rank:

Great: Vesperia, Abyss, Symphonia
Decent: Legendia (the characters grew on me, but worst combat ever, plus dat OST)
Meh: Graces, Innocence

Played bits of older ones and I need to get to them again, but usually am not too motivated.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess that means the Tales game after Xillia 2 will also be on PS3.
Gumdrops are now PS3-exclusive.

Which one's the gumdrop that tastes ok, but not that great? That's the one Xillia is.

You know...I recently played through White Knight Chronicles, so I guess I'm not really any better.
...did you play it before it was taken offline to get the platinum? Because that would be worse.

Top Bottom