• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Milla's voice can't be that bad, can it?

I mean, she's no Miyuki Sawashiro, but I kinda like Milla, so I was hoping that the English voice would suit the character.

yall are the problem for scamco charging these ridiculously overpriced fees for costumes instead of them being in the game D:

swimsuit should be in the fucking game for christ sake.

So what is the good difficulty? I don't wanna breeze through, but i don't wanna spend half the time reviving my mentally challenged ai.

I'm not sure if this was posted yet. But for those of you who still haven't ordered a copy or are still interested. Gamestop has a coupon you can use to get 15% off online orders, which drops the price down to $50.99 before tax and shipping. That's enough for like TWO costumes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/06/tales-of-xillia-release-day-deal-is-15-off-at-gamestop/

Technically, THREE costumes.

You could outfit almost all of your team with the preorder DLC!

I mean, she's no Miyuki Sawashiro, but I kinda like Milla, so I was hoping that the English voice would suit the character.

I watched the opening of Milla's route in English on Youtube. It honestly wasn't as bad as everything is making it out to be. Maybe my tolerance for English voice acting isn't as high as everyone's else. ~_~

MilkBeard

Okay I have to ask, is the little short piece of va we hear from Milla on IGN's review representative of the rest of her voice acting? Because it really wasn't that bad imo
I haven't seen that piece so I can't answer directly but I will say, the person you quoted is exaggerating a bit. It's tolerable. Arc Rise Fantasia and Star Ocean 4 dub was much worse. With Milla, it just depends on if the lisp gets on your nerves or not. It doesn't really bother me. Her voice is a bit deadpan though.

Sora_N

Is the CE UPC the same for Canada and the US? Anyone know?

I was a moron and I forgot to cancel my US gamestop preorder, and it got shipped. So did my Canadian CEs. :/ I had already decided to just keep the standard LE instead. I don't think I can refund the US copy without losing MORE money, but I don't have either CE in hand yet. I was thinking of listing the US copy first on ebay, if it sells I'll ship out the Canadian copy first and refund the US copy to the store, if the UPC is the same.

I thought someone said costumes came with new music and and even artes, though I may be remembering graces f comments instead of xillia...

I said that .. but i was talking about one set of costumes in particular.
Regular ( plain ) costumes don't change the music .

Only special costumes do.

For example : christmas themed costumes don't change the music , there is one set of school costumes that don't either.

Special costumes ( Tales cameos, star driver , idolmaster ) do change the music and sometimes some artes. They also change the victory quotes.

chrono01

Is the CE UPC the same for Canada and the US? Anyone know?

I was a moron and I forgot to cancel my US gamestop preorder, and it got shipped. So did my Canadian CEs. :/ I had already decided to just keep the standard LE instead. I don't think I can refund the US copy without losing MORE money, but I don't have either CE in hand yet. I was thinking of listing the US copy first on ebay, if it sells I'll ship out the Canadian copy first and refund the US copy to the store, if the UPC is the same.
Wow, I had a similar experience.

I pre-ordered the CE off of Gamestop.com when it wasn't available on EBGames.ca, and later [one more stock became available] secured my pre-order there. I had the intention of cancelling my Gamestop.com pre-order however, for reasons completely unknown to me, I forgot. I realized it too later [after they were charged] and too late to cancel.

I'm thinking I might just "Return to Sender" once a delivery attempt is made via UPS. If I accepted it I would have to deal with the UPS brokerage charges which I'd rather not do to something that I'm already receiving [from EBGames.ca] and already plan to return.

Bladenic

Oh you're right. lol. I thought they were $3.99 for some reason.

They were for Graces IIRC. Namco is so generous dropping the price a whole dollar.

And Milla's voice is honestly not bad at all. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's fine. It's fat below her JP voice though. It's also a bit inconsistent.

Sora_N

Wow, I had a similar experience.

I pre-ordered the CE off of Gamestop.com when it wasn't available on EBGames.ca, and later [one more stock became available] secured my pre-order there. I had the intention of cancelling my Gamestop.com pre-order however, for reasons completely unknown to me, I forgot. I realized it too later [after they were charged] and too late to cancel.

I'm thinking I might just "Return to Sender" once a delivery attempt is made via UPS. If I accepted it I would have to deal with the UPS brokerage charges which I'd rather not do to something that I'm already receiving [from EBGames.ca] and already plan to return.

I read on GS.com's site, I think, that you're still charged even if the package is refused. It really sucks for me because it already costs me $20 more due to shipping, and then there WILL be brokerage since it's UPS international. It's just that in the back of my mind I already cancelled the game, but it actually didn't happen lol.

chrono01

I read on GS.com's site, I think, that you're still charged even if the package is refused. It really sucks for me because it already costs me $20 more due to shipping, and then there WILL be brokerage since it's UPS international. It's just that in the back of my mind I already cancelled the game, but it actually didn't happen lol.
I emailed them and they told me that I would receive a refund [sans the shipping charges, of course] within 3-5 days upon returning. I would be able to track the progress on-route back to them using the original tracking number.

Now I'm hesitant to do it. -_-

Loto

Is all of the preorder DLC in the box? I picked up my preorder from GameStop and nothing was printed on the receipt.

chrono01

Well I just received my Collector's Edition from Gamestop.com [via UPS, shipped to Canada] and, surprisingly, I only had to pay the GST for it [which was only a little over $5].

Yeah, it's unfortunate that I had to pay the shipping cost + GST for an additional copy that I have no need for [and will be promptly returned to the store for a refund], but at least it's less of a burden than having to return it to Gamestop.com and wait for the credit to be applied.

If I can't return the US copy to a Canadian store [for whatever reason], I'll simply keep the US copy and return the Canadian one. I should, hopefully, be receiving the EBGames.ca CE soon [it's been on the truck for "delivery" since 8AM this morning -_-].

scy

Hard isn't too hard. Except for the last boss but even then that's not really hard but long. I think the last boss took me an hour and 15 minutes to beat.

Right, that's my point. Hard is most likely going to be not at all hard enough in the end.

Holmes

Got a Sony Pulse headset along with the game today. Gonna try them out on the game when the game data is done installing in a minute or so. Excited!

Sora_N

Well I just received my Collector's Edition from Gamestop.com [via UPS, shipped to Canada] and, surprisingly, I only had to pay the GST for it [which was only a little over $5].

Yeah, it's unfortunate that I had to pay the shipping cost + GST for an additional copy that I have no need for [and will be promptly returned to the store for a refund], but at least it's less of a burden than having to return it to Gamestop.com and wait for the credit to be applied.

If I can't return the US copy to a Canadian store [for whatever reason], I'll simply keep the US copy and return the Canadian one. I should, hopefully, be receiving the EBGames.ca CE soon [it's been on the truck for "delivery" since 8AM this morning -_-].

Lucky man, I just got mine. I had to pay $23...goddamn UPS. However, I listed it on eBay and it sold for $140 (my total cost was 143) so I just lose some eBay/PayPal fees. I'd rather not try to ship it back to the US lol. Lesson learned to doublecheck to make sure orders are cancelled.

The problem with Milla is that someone forgot to run the de-esser over her voice clips. Her voice is fine for the character but her lisp can probably drive some people nuts.

chrono01

Lucky man, I just got mine. I had to pay $23...goddamn UPS. However, I listed it on eBay and it sold for $140 (my total cost was 143) so I just lose some eBay/PayPal fees. I'd rather not try to ship it back to the US lol.
Wow, that sold quickly haha. Congrats! Sorry to hear about those charges, though. :/

I'm almost tempted to list my second as well, well, if I can't simply return it to a nearby EBGames.

Sora_N

Wow, that sold quickly haha. Congrats! Sorry to hear about those charges, though. :/

I'm almost tempted to list my second as well, well, if I can't simply return it to a nearby EBGames.

Yeah I estimated my highest charge for customs may be about 20 and listed accordingly this morning. I'm willing to suffer this slight loss since it's my fault, heh.

I hope you're able to refund it tho!

Eusis

Got mine, insides of the case are the same as for the LE. I wasn't too optimistic especially given the bilingual packaging and the fact they probably would've shown something off similar to Ni no Kuni earlier, but it's still a shame to be that barren. At least all launch copies come with stuff, and that can matter more than a manual that covers stuff also covered in game (or so I'd hope given prior games, otherwise it just becomes imbecilic to not put the manual in.)

FSLink

Banned
Just received my copy!
BRBVLclCIAIbNtX.jpg:large

I'll be streaming the game here if anybody wants to watch:
http://twitch.tv/fslink

Her voice isn't terrible at all to me. Not the greatest, but ok to listen to. It's like if
Lightning's voice got a little bit deeper. I think. I haven't heard Lightning's english voice for a while. The further I stay from FFXIII the better.

I've seen both the LE and CE art books (on unboxing videos), and it looks like the LE art book is just the character/supporting character section, while the CE book is that + concept art pages for the environment.

Artorias

Banned
Can anyone tell me if the CD in the first run copies is identical to the CE, aside from cardboard slip vs jewel case?

Just got my CE dropped off by UPS. It looks great! I really like the figure. I probably won't be playing it for a while since Dragon's Crown arrived as well, but I'm excited. Tales games are so colorful.

PKrockin

Well, my copy arrived... but i won't be able to go home and nab it for a few days. At least this gives me time to get my hype in check.

Sora_N

I've seen both the LE and CE art books (on unboxing videos), and it looks like the LE art book is just the character/supporting character section, while the CE book is that + concept art pages for the environment.

While I like concept art and stuff, the regular edition I only pay $40 for and it already has part of the book. It's still a bit of a tough choice. Maybe I can try selling off the game and Milla figure alone for my other CE lol and keep the CD and book. :(

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, how would people compare this to Vesperia? That's kinda the bar this game has to top for me to want to jump into another Tales game. Tried getting into Abyss 3D, and man, the characters, the progression - absolutely nothing did it for me...

RPGCrazied

Finally, got the game! The spine of the outer box is kinda crushed. :( The front and back is fine though, oh well. Gotta love mail sometimes.

See ya in a few hours!

Shouta

So, how would people compare this to Vesperia? That's kinda the bar this game has to top for me to want to jump into another Tales game. Tried getting into Abyss 3D, and man, the characters, the progression - absolutely nothing did it for me...

Xillia 1 is higher on the list for me but I wasn't very enamored with Vesperia. It felt a bit bog standard by the time it came out despite having a solid protagonist.

Kronotech

So, working through my back log, I'm currently on Star Ocean. Worth it to shelve it and get this or is Star Ocean worth it enough to wait?

Not that impressed with Star Ocean right now...

Is there any reason to not use a linked partner? Or is that something I should just be using in every battle?

If your partner gets hit you get hit too. (Though the damage is reduced for you).

If they get hit by a status element, you get hit by it too. (oh god, this part is the most annoying).

If they get hit by an enemy boss's move that leads to their mystic arte, they get to use a mystic arte.

Just think of the linked partner as an extension of the character you are using. I mean generally, the benefits outweighed the possible negatives but just be aware of such things happening.

MilkBeard

The problem with Milla is that someone forgot to run the de-esser over her voice clips. Her voice is fine for the character but her lisp can probably drive some people nuts.

Exactly. It really would have been an easy fix to get the hissing sound out, but I'm guessing they were tight with budget? Then again, it only takes like a minute or two to set up EQ and cut out the frequency.

klee123

Should be getting my copy tomorrow!

Haven't really read much about the English version, but is the opening theme for the US/PAL versions the same as the Japanese version?

MilkBeard

So, working through my back log, I'm currently on Star Ocean. Worth it to shelve it and get this or is Star Ocean worth it enough to wait?

Not that impressed with Star Ocean right now...

Are you talking about Last Hope? I found that I really started to enjoy the game after a certain particular event happens about 15-20 hours or so into the game. After that, it really picked up and became the Star Ocean game that I really wanted. Before that, though, I was about to throw the game out the window. So just wait until you get further into the game before you decide to quit. Also having the International version helps.

Top Bottom