• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

So the only thing I do with materials are just upgrade the shops? Should I sell them instead or what?

Pretty much. Just hoard them until you encounter a x3 material time for one of the shops. It'll be worth more than selling them and actually using the money to level up the shops.

Sometimes a sidequest will request you turn in on but that's about it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I wonder if that 15% off Gamestop will be the LE. I won't touch the game for a long time, but not having the limited DLC will really bother me even if I won't use it.

Eusis

The voice recordings are of pretty low quality, which I think sticks out the most. The music sounds excellent to me. But the voicework has been botched. I don't think it's from space, but time/low budget.
Given that I can't see it being more costly or time consuming to store at a higher quality on a disc I can't really understand why it's a time/budget issue, at best maybe a RAM budget issue but this hasn't been a problem for almost every other current gen game, certainly not PS3, so what the hell?

And they already failed at the "can we get away without a manual?" metric to me. Quick save, no known way of loading it, probably would've been explained in the manual BUT THEY'RE TOO DAMN CHEAP FOR THAT! Though they also should've had a save point much earlier since I just wanted to take a short break without it tracking the time. Seriously though, don't cut your damn manuals unless you put in an equivalent digital one, period.

EDIT: Though I see looking online that apparently you load it from the title menu... which, unlike every other entry in the series, is completely skipped past initially. So it's just kind of dumb design in the very start period far as I can tell, I can appreciate doing something different but they should've practically put a save point at your feet from when gameplay starts and/or go to the title screen if you've made a quick save.

Thoraxes

I think all first print copies are the LE.

Probably the case. I got my copy and it says "Limited Edition" on it.

Correct.

Pretty much. Just hoard them until you encounter a x3 material time for one of the shops. It'll be worth more than selling them and actually using the money to level up the shops.

Sometimes a sidequest will request you turn in on but that's about it.

Alright, i'll be sure to just hoard then for that. Thanks :D

Aeana

I accepted it as a given, but now I'm kinda curious. Was Cup of Tea still responsible for the voice work?

Sometimes it's hard to separate the legitimate voice quality complaints from the "it'll never be good enough because it isn't the original" crowd's usual. Guess I'll find out when I get the English version in tomorrow or so.

Eusis

I accepted it as a given, but now I'm kinda curious. Was Cup of Tea still responsible for the voice work?

Sometimes it's hard to separate the legitimate voice quality complaints from the "it'll never be good enough because it isn't the original" crowd's usual. Guess I'll find out when I get the English version in tomorrow or so.
Well, the PLAYBACK quality's definitely objective! Was it at a weird lower quality in the Japanese version too?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The voicework is super good in Xillia. There's only like 3 characters that I didn't like the sound of.

Thoraxes

The sampling rate of the actual audio files sounds lower, and is a little rough as result. like going from 128k to 80k sampling or something. The blending is the main heft of it.

It's totally okay as is, but it's noticeable. I think the voices themselves (like the timbre and such) are totally fine.

Well, the PLAYBACK quality's definitely objective! Was it at a weird lower quality in the Japanese version too?

Sounds fine from the videos i'm listening to on the JPN version.

Aeana

Sooo what's the general approach for the whole spiderweb skill tree thing? Been going more bottom and bottom right for Jude.

Any choices you think you have are illusions. There are nodes that are required to get in order to expand it, and they're spread out such that you'll end up unlocking most of the other bonuses in the process.

Cheska

Man, Fenmont sure is pretty to look at. The greenish hues of the skies and the lighting around the city really stand out.

Aeana

So... Whats the best thing to buy with the
Black Feathers
?

The most important thing is to get 100 of them!
It gives you the artes ball.
As for what to buy, it's up to you. I saved mine so I could buy the shop build materials, because I don't usually care for stat boost stuff.

RPGCrazied

Played a few hours, got to Seahaven. For some reason Alvin sounds like Troy Baker. :p But its not, right? Really like the music.

Will play a lot more tomorrow.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I love the random conversation in cities and the fields.

Love the music.

I... I think I love this game.

MilkBeard

Given that I can't see it being more costly or time consuming to store at a higher quality on a disc I can't really understand why it's a time/budget issue, at best maybe a RAM budget issue but this hasn't been a problem for almost every other current gen game, certainly not PS3, so what the hell?

I was talking more about recording quality, as in, they recorded it hastily and without spending the time to properly set the EQ, compression, etc. etc. which is the result of having really flat, grainy, wispy sounding recordings where certain parts of the EQ range are overly pronounced. I noticed this with the voicework on Graces, but it actually sounds a bit worse for Xillia. It's funny because on certain skits in Graces, the reverb was set incorrectly and made this really weird sound metallic sound. It's pretty obvious that it's somewhat low budget work.

But of course, this is all just me nitpicking. It's an incredibly tedious task to record all of that voicework, and can get costly too. So I don't want to sound too much down on it.

So... Whats the best thing to buy with the
Black Feathers
?

I honestly forgot I could buy stuff with them after a while.

*sees the new food system*

What the hell?

Why bother cooking?

Not even the worst part. You can only buy one of that dish. =/

I didn't mind that part so much since I usually overstocked myself with all the food anyway that I usually didn't run out by the town I got back to a merchant.

---------------------------------------------------

As much as I want to buy all the costumes right here and now, I think I'll hold off since I don't plan on playing the English version anytime soon.

RPGCrazied

Dat intro! I'm glad they kept the original Japanese song.
Its weird though that it wasn't at the beginning of the game like most tales.

Rhapsody

Banned
Isn't one of the requirements for one of the Grade things is to cook though?

I just cooked whatever I found on the ground (that sounds pretty bad).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't really buy anything with the black feathers, myself. I just went and talked to the dude for items when I passed the black feather threshold for certain items.

I didn't use food my first playthrough and regretted it, since it made my plat run longer. But food's a good thing to have since you won't be expending supplies you'd need in battle otherwise depending on what you choose. Either way, the lack of cooking in the game is pretty disappointing.

Yep. Don't have to do it, though, if you don't care about the grade for it.

I just cooked whatever I found on the ground (that sounds pretty bad).

Yep, one of the trophies is to eat so many times.

It's amazing what perfectly fine prepared food you can find in the fields and dungeons.

Eusis

I was talking more about recording quality, as in, they recorded it hastily and without spending the time to properly set the EQ, compression, etc. etc. which is the result of having really flat, grainy, wispy sounding recordings where certain parts of the EQ range are overly pronounced. I noticed this with the voicework on Graces, but it actually sounds a bit worse for Xillia. It's funny because on certain skits in Graces, the reverb was set incorrectly and made this really weird sound metallic sound. It's pretty obvious that it's somewhat low budget work.

But of course, this is all just me nitpicking. It's an incredibly tedious task to record all of that voicework, and can get costly too. So I don't want to sound too much down on it.
Ah, I see. It's still frustrating though given they're not really tight on space and I can't imagine it being one of the more problematic areas to match parity with other games out there, I just have to hope they're paying attention to this for Xillia 2, and if relevant the Symphonia collection.
It's amazing what perfectly fine prepared food you can find in the fields and dungeons.
Sounds like Earthbound's cave pizzas and trash bin burgers!

Rpgmonkey

*sees the new food system*

What the hell?

It was a pretty horrible moment for me when I found out how "cooking" worked in this game.

I actually like discovering new recipes through exploration and experimenting with cooking, so it hurt to see I just grind points for a shop and buy takeout. :(

Top Bottom