• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

PKrockin

So, working through my back log, I'm currently on Star Ocean. Worth it to shelve it and get this or is Star Ocean worth it enough to wait?

Not that impressed with Star Ocean right now...
Star Ocean, to me, is just a worse Tales, so... *shrug*

(Only played halfway through Second Evolution and Till the End of Time before deciding it just wasn't that good)

zeopower6

jsRWpos.png

Mmm~ now... when to play....

klee123

Yep. The exact same song in Japanese.

That's great!

Still never understood why they took this long to finally do this. Whilst Vesperia and Graces F's English vocals were pretty good, the instrumental opening themes for the majority of the past games were terrible.

The only one I remotely liked was Abyss, because that was basically the Japanese opening with the vocals omitted.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Copy purchased.

I know nothng about this game.

Character choosing, huh. Makes for an different playthrough, or can you choose to switch at different times I wonder...

Eyothrie

Just starting. Regarding sound, the in-game options are Stereo and Surround. My PS3 is hooked up via optical and my receiver outputs DD 5.1. Does this in-game setting get bypassed?

Kronotech

Are you talking about Last Hope? I found that I really started to enjoy the game after a certain particular event happens about 15-20 hours or so into the game. After that, it really picked up and became the Star Ocean game that I really wanted. Before that, though, I was about to throw the game out the window. So just wait until you get further into the game before you decide to quit. Also having the International version helps.

Sorry, yes Last Hope Int'l version. I just got the little girl so I'm still fresh. As dumb as it sounds, the difficulty is frustrating. The lack of recovery options for health and MP makes it tough to have fun with the battle system.

I hope there's a free dlc or patch for a Japanese language track. The voice acting is okay. It's not that Milla is bad in my opinion the voice doesn't fit the character. The voice would be great for another character that matches, but for Milla it doesn't match that well to me.

Again, it's not bad as in Arc Rise Fantasia, but it doesn't fit the character.

Eusis

Can't think of a game where it was added through DLC that wasn't announced by launch time anyway. The closest might be something like Dragon's Dogma, but I think the VA was always in English before Dark Arisen and that you had to rebuy anyway.

khaaan

Am I imagining things or was the artbook in the Limited Edition supposed to be 50 pages? I thumbed through it and at the end realized that it was only 40 pages.

It's really not, it just takes some warming up to. I actually quite like it now.

God it feels so good to play a Tales game in English. Bless Namco. Having a blast.

This. Since it's all subjective I can understand it but I'm not getting the complaints at all really, not sure I needed to but warmed up to her pretty quick and like her so maybe everyone will come around later as they hear her more.

Totally agree, been dying to play this.

Bladenic

While I definitely prefer Teepo's JP voice, I really like his English one too. He's still super cute :D Elize's VA sounds about the same. Like I said the voice acting is WAY better than Graces imo. Oh and I LOVE
Gaius' voice.

Umi88

~48h for my psn preorder to unlock.. dem friday relases.. :(.

At least playing Abyss and reading some impressions helps kill some time :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
So Alvin's a mercenary, heh?

Potential spoiler:
He's the traitor of this game, isn't he?

Flamfas

I've played this for a total of 15 minutes. I then put it down and went to go play Pikmin 3.

I guess having beaten this already in Japanese makes me a little less excited.

But I bet if I play for an hour or so when things start to pick up, I'll be more excited.

So Alvin's a mercenary, heh?

Potential spoiler:
He's the traitor of this game, isn't he?

if you really want to know:
he does betray the party, HARD TO GUESS EH?

I've played for about an hour so far and I actually really enjoy this game so far (I loathed graces and Vesperia was meh).

I would pay good money for a Japanese audio DLC though, Milla sounds weird.

MilkBeard

Sorry, yes Last Hope Int'l version. I just got the little girl so I'm still fresh. As dumb as it sounds, the difficulty is frustrating. The lack of recovery options for health and MP makes it tough to have fun with the battle system.

I've found that the 3D Star Ocean games have fairly complicated mechanics to get into and they don't do well to explain them (literally, the first part of the game is a boring battle tutorial, but there is so much to take in that it gets lost).

I remember particularly, Star Ocean 4's boss battles are pretty damned tough, playing on normal difficulty. Just like Tales, though, there are is some learning that needs to be done with your reflexes. IMO, Star Ocean 4 is much harder than any Tales game I've played. But really, the battle system is what kept me going for this game. It got incredibly addictive. I'd say stick with it until you go to a, ahem...certain familiar planet. The story gets pretty interesting there.
I've always loved Star Ocean's free roaming battle system. Also the fact that the more you use your skills, the better they become and their attack animations reflect this.
Anyway, if you're not enjoying by the time you get to the coliseum on planet Roak, then you're probably not going to enjoy it. But that is when the game transforms.

ahh...I really, really wish Tri-Ace would make another Star Ocean game. With that new engine they showed off a few years ago...would be ace.

EDIT: despite my initial negative reactions to Last Hope, I still look back at the game fondly because the second half gets a lot better.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think the voice acting is pretty damn solid. Vesperia level to me. Milla's a bit under-played though.

And whoever is voicing that crazy white-haired bitch from the research lab was having WAY too much fun voicing that character. I love it.

MilkBeard

I think the voice acting is pretty damn solid. Vesperia level to me. Milla's a bit under-played though.

And whoever is voicing that crazy white-haired bitch from the research lab was having WAY too much fun voicing that character. I love it.

The girl in the beginning of the game? That scene damn near ruined my initial experience of the game. The sooner I forget about that shitty acting, the better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
how do i change costumes?
If you entered the code and downloaded the DLC, you'll have to go to the DLC menu in the item menu. Then you open the present and get the DLC costume.

Then you go into the equipment menu, press down with the L stick until you get to the costume/attachment menu and select costumes and attachments from there.

weird thing to comment on, but i like Jude's eyes lol.

his fighting style is interesting. Not too sure if I dig milla or not.

Really love the magic effects in this. Some really neat magic circles.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The girl in the beginning of the game? That scene damn near ruined my initial experience of the game. The sooner I forget about that shitty acting, the better.

I thought it was perfect, considering how the character was acting. Like Jeremy Irons over-the-top.

Flamfas

Agria? Yeah, her voice is awesome.

Eusis

Is it me or is the audio unnecessarily low quality? It's on a blu-ray, it doesn't seem there'd be any benefit to not going for the highest quality audio unless you really DID pack a game tight, even with DD it's not like they're dealing with only 2-4 GB of space.

Also the vertical camera controls sorta bug me with their large deadzone and not really being analog (though I guess they went for something similar to Monster Hunter) and I hate having invisible walls especially when they clearly put up obstructions with visible gaps you should be able to walk through... though I noticed some NPCs walk through those gaps, which I guess explains why they exist.

MilkBeard

I thought it was perfect, considering how the character was acting. Like Jeremy Irons over-the-top.

I just felt there was no context for her acting so ridiculous. All of a sudden there's this ridiculous character saying stupid things for almost no reason. Maybe she is explained later in the game but it just came out of left field for me.

MilkBeard

Is it me or is the audio unnecessarily low quality? It's on a blu-ray, it doesn't seem there'd be any benefit to not going for the highest quality audio unless you really DID pack a game tight, even with DD it's not like they're dealing with only 2-4 GB of space.

The voice recordings are of pretty low quality, which I think sticks out the most. The music sounds excellent to me. But the voicework has been botched. I don't think it's from space, but time/low budget.

Do I have to switch the game to surround sound in the game settings? I remember I played Vesperia and for some weird ass reason the game was set to stereo and there was no sound coming from rear speakers until I set it to surround within the game options. Games don't even have this option tbh, but Vesperia did. Also I remember SoTN on PS1 was set to mono by default and you had to manually set it to stereo in the game options.

kewlmyc

Played 2 hours worth. Only have the first 3 party members, yet already like them more that the Graces cast. The voice acting is great so far too.

Still not sure how the linking system works though. I know you can do special attacks, but some attacks like the one where Jude and Milla stun an enemy seems to come out randomly.

Top Bottom