• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can you elaborate on what that means without spoilers?

Edit: Nvm, should have looked at the OP. I still want to play milla's side more though, so should I just restart after an hour like they said?
You don't have to restart at all. You can still control Milla even when you're playing Jude's side.

DJ_Lae

CE came in the mail today.

Unsure if I should just open and play it or go the store and buy a regular edition.

FSLink

Banned
So some people have been calling it Xillia with a silent X and the others like 'Excalibur'...

Does anyone know whether it's [sil-ya] or [ex-silya]?

It's the latter.

Also looking through more of the JPN > ENG arte name changes...

Shouha Juumonji > Fatal Crossing

WTF. So it was Cross Thrust in Symphonia, Impact Cross in Vesperia, and now Fatal Crossing? /shakes head

EDIT: Poster at Tales forum might have confused it with another move. Here's hoping, I dislike when they don't keep things consistent, haha.

FSLink

Banned
Mystic Arte names:
Jude: Satsugeki Bukouken > Final Fury
Milla: Supreme Elements > Elemental Mastery
Alvin: Expendable Pride > Terminus Pride
Leia: Kasshinkon Kagura > Soulstoke Celebration
Elize: Revere Go Round > Scary-Go-Round
Rowen: Grand Finale > Grand Finale

And then Tiger Blade Sigma for Kogahazan Agito.

Also Milla's MA lags. Also noticed when I got the game myself like kayos that the menus do take a little longer to load than the JPN version.

ohlawd

k put in like 2 hours.

I'm done for today. Sleepy as heck but I would have liked to play a bit moar but kinda boring at parts; wtf is with these areas? Enemies take 30 secs to finish ok that's not too bad but the next enemy is like a centimetre away. I'm not too far in though, I'm right before the waterfall area.

Dub is pretty good so far; Alvin curbstomping everbodeh. Theme song sucks horribad. When do I get my waifu Legs and that little summoner chick into my party? I want them badly.

Mystic Arte names:

Also Milla's MA lags. Also noticed when I got the game myself like kayos that the menus do take a little longer to load than the JPN version.

Bah to Alvin's localized mystic arte name. Bah I say.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmm... how is that even possible?

Now I wonder if the framerate will drop even more in the EX dungeon when lots of stuff's going on...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's an EX dungeon? I wonder if there's a trophy for that too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hmmm... how is that even possible?

Now I wonder if the framerate will drop even more in the EX dungeon when lots of stuff's going on...

Like I said, the framerate drops happened when it didn't in JP one and battle menu is slower. I'm not hallucinating!

FSLink

Banned
Like I said, the framerate drops happened when it didn't in JP one and battle menu is slower. I'm not hallucinating!

Only seems to happen when you first open the battle menu, there's a bit of lag before it comes out. After the first time it seems fine...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I guess the trophies here are more flexible and less demanding than Tales of Graces'?

Although the quest trophy seems easy to miss even if it's less demanding (should get 90/102).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But won't I be missing out on some Milla exclusive events, like it says in the ot?
You will, but generally the Milla events tend to spoil some of the intrigue of the plot, imo. It's really better in terms of narrative development to go through Jude's side.

So I guess the trophies here are more flexible and less demanding than Tales of Graces'?

Although the quest trophy seems easy to miss even if it's less demanding (should get 90/102).
Right. They're boring and grindy in comparison.

Bladenic

For the quest trophy, should I be good as long as I do a final sweep of all towns before a chapter ends?

I like that a side quest related to Alvin was started by sleeping at an inn. A Tales staple, but at least they actually told you to do it this time!

Anyway, about to call it quits. Finished the third boss and I'm in Sharliton or whatever it's called.

OH and there's definitely lag when I open the battle menu at times. Haven't really payed attention to see if it's because there's a lot going on or if it's just laggy. Really weird if this wasn't in the Japanese version. 2 years to localize and it comes with extra lag lmaooo

Pretty much. Only the sidequest trophy is one that you will probably have to look out got over the course of the two playthroughs you'll have to do anyway.

Rpgmonkey

Mystic Arte names:

And then Tiger Blade Sigma for Kogahazan Agito.

Tiger Blade Sigma is pretty cool. And I liked Expendable Pride. :p

The lag is so strange.

If I'm a Tales vet should I start on moderate or hard? I'm pretty sure you can change it in game easily but I don't want to get brutalized 5 seconds into the game.

B-Dex

Guys, how do I get the costumes to work? I dled the LE ones but they aren't showing up in-game. Neither character has anything under attachments.

FSLink

Banned
I also really like
Sazanka (Jude) + Sazanka (Leia) = Muzanka > Cereberus Strike (Jude) + Cereberus Strike (Leia) = Scylla Strike

and

Shugo Houtsuijin > Guardian Grove

If I'm a Tales vet should I start on moderate or hard? I'm pretty sure you can change it in game easily but I don't want to get brutalized 5 seconds into the game.

Do Moderate. With the bosses autobreaking out of combos and doing assholish things like ground pounding to kill off your party, it'd save you some headache, plus there's really no incentive for a harder difficulty outside of more HP.

ULTROS!

Pretty much. Only the sidequest trophy is one that you will probably have to look out got over the course of the two playthroughs you'll have to do anyway.

So are the 102 sidequests for each character (thus making it 204 all in all) or is it split between both characters (aka something like 51 per character)?

Veelk

Banned
You will, but generally the Milla events tend to spoil some of the intrigue of the plot, imo. It's really better in terms of narrative development to go through Jude's side.
I see. Sounds like Milla is designed to be a second playthrough, which is too bad for me since she seems to be the more interesting character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guys, how do I get the costumes to work? I dled the LE ones but they aren't showing up in-game. Neither character has anything under attachments.
If you entered the code and downloaded the DLC, you'll have to go to the DLC menu in the item menu. Then you open the present and get the DLC costume.

Then you go into the equipment menu, press down with the L stick until you get to the costume/attachment menu and select costumes and attachments from there.

So are the 102 sidequests for each character (thus making it 204 all in all) or is it split between both characters (aka something like 51 per character)?

There are a total of 102 sidequests. I think you can do most of them expect maybe like 1 or 2 or some few amount that's exclusive to one story.

You can definitely get the trophy on your first playthrough though.

john tv

Most 8-4 localization efforts are pretty good, provided the source material isn't dreadful (aka 80% of Graces f), in which case the voice actors and translators do the best they can.
Proper credit for the dub should go to the US producer Ted Tsung (who is awesome and works his ass off for this series). We provided the scripts, but he handled the recording (likewise in TOGf). From what I've seen, people seem to be digging the voices -- can't wait to hear 'em myself!

We love to do voices ourselves when we can, but the opportunity doesn't arise too often because of budgets, the fact that we're over in Tokyo, etc. Last two we did were...I wanna say Nier and Fire Emblem Awakening. If I'm not forgetting anything. (About to do another one soon, so pretty excited about that!)

Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying TOX! :D

FSLink

Banned
I don't know how we survived without voiced skits. Loving the localization due to them.

Also just realized the color variation costumes are on the PSN store! Yaaaay

Bladenic

Love Rowen's voice :D this dub is awesome. I was worried after Graces but this shows they can do Vesperia level dubs if they want :D

demidar

Tiger Blade Sigma is pretty cool. And I liked Expendable Pride. :p

The lag is so strange.

Individually I know what expendable and pride means, but together? What is this I don't even. Terminus Pride at least sounds cool.

Also Soulstroke Festival instead of Soulstroke Celebration, yea or nay?

Proper credit for the dub should go to the US producer Ted Tsung (who is awesome and works his ass off for this series). We provided the scripts, but he handled the recording (likewise in TOGf). From what I've seen, people seem to be digging the voices -- can't wait to hear 'em myself!

We love to do voices ourselves when we can, but the opportunity doesn't arise too often because of budgets, the fact that we're over in Tokyo, etc. Last two we did were...I wanna say Nier and Fire Emblem Awakening. If I'm not forgetting anything. (About to do another one soon, so pretty excited about that!)

Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying TOX! :D

So are you still using Cup of Tea productions for your VO work?

But yeah, I love your guys' work. It would be cool if you got in to what localization work entails, and relate it to what you did for Xillia (or MGR if you want) on your podcast.

FSLink

Banned
Also Soulstroke Festival instead of Soulstroke Celebration, yea or nay?

It's SoulSTOKE btw. :p Yeah, I think Festival would have been better.

Also took a screenshot of the localized menu. Looks so goooood
jh9YW0e.png

demidar

It's SoulSTOKE btw. :p Yeah, I think Festival would have been better.

Also took a screenshot of the localized menu. Looks so goooood

Soulstroke is better because it sounds more dirty :p

God, English Tales of menus are so good because the font isn't just vanilla Arial or whatever that looks totally out of place (looking at you Ys).

Kilrathi

Anyone tired the stereoscopic 3d support how much a performance hit does the game take? My copy of the game is still being shipped out

Top Bottom