• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Honestly the game is pretty easy you don't have to worry about it too much. I just go for specific skills + artes so you can have a larger movepool.

Jude I'd focus on speed some too, he's fucking fast as hell at higher levels.

Alright, cool. Thanks. I know in past Tales games, most characters have had a specific role to fill, and it wasn't usually wise to play too far outside of that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I usually went with the skills/artes I wanted instead of developing certain stats first because, really, you end up getting all of the orbs towards the end anyway. Again, illusion of choice.

PKrockin

Due to complicated circumstances I got to play it for an hour but won't be able to again for a few days.

The game is really fun so far. The graphics, music, and presentation are a noticeable improvement over Graces and Vesperia. I especially like the snappy load times (probably thanks to the mandatory install) and menu aesthetic. The reinclusion of TP seems much better added to the AP system rather than the Symphonia team games.

Two things that bug me, though:

- Milla's voice. Fuck you to whoever said she had a lisp. I can't unhear it.
- The quick step seems way too easy to do with its more lenient timing and only one direction to dodge in. They shake things up in this regard, right? It's just really easy to avoid damage at the moment and I've barely started playing.

FSLink

Banned
The game is really fun so far. The graphics, music, and presentation are a noticeable improvement over Graces and Vesperia. I especially like the snappy load times (probably thanks to the mandatory install) and menu aesthetic. The reinclusion of TP seems much better added to the AP system rather than the Symphonia team games.
Well Graces was just an up port of a Wii game. No excusing its soundtrack though, outside of the battle themes I'm not sure what Sakuraba was doing.

- The quick step seems way too easy to do with its more lenient timing and only one direction to dodge in. They shake things up in this regard, right? It's just really easy to avoid damage at the moment and I've barely started playing.
Not really, Jude is pretty broken.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The quick step seems way too easy to do with its more lenient timing and only one direction to dodge in. They shake things up in this regard, right? It's just really easy to avoid damage at the moment and I've barely started playing.
Everyone is broken. You can solo the entire game with just Jude if you wanted to because of that skill, and because he has decent heal spells for himself.

PKrockin

Well Graces was just an up port of a Wii game. No excusing its soundtrack though, outside of the battle themes I'm not sure what Sakuraba was doing.

Not really, Jude is pretty broken.

lol, well alright then. Wouldn't be a Tales game without a broken mechanic or two. Hope I unlock the next difficulty past Hard after some more battles, they're pretty easy.

Thoraxes

Man, i've been doing all the side-quests on the way instead of just going back for them. About 10 hours in now or so, and I just got to Rowen.

Driselle
is a babe.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Decided to watch some videos and I think they all sound alright, except for Milla. Why does she sound like she has a lisp :<

Xenoflare

Decided to watch some videos and I think they all sound alright, except for Milla. Why does she sound like she has a lisp :<

I still prefer the Japanese voices though. Sawashiro and Sugita <3

Stop reminding me of Sawashiro, then I'll never get over Milla's lisp, I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm seeing the point why IGN said her voice is bad, and it's even worse considering the rest of the cast is great.

I actually like Mercer's Alvin more HUEHUE, Sugita is a respectable VA, but I was never really a fan of him.

Synless

I just got started, what is up with that level system? I just connect dots in a rectangle and I learn abilities? Or is there more to it?

Is there "Free Run" in Xillia by pressing a button like in Vesperia? I'm playing Abyss and I really hate how it doesn't have this feature (or i completely missed it lol)

Seik

Banned
Am I the only one who took the Stahn outfit for Jude to complete the story? I'm 5 hours in now and did the last 2 in Stahn's outfit. I think it looks way better on him than his OG costume and the battle theme is some good stuff too.

Mendrox

I just got started, what is up with that level system? I just connect dots in a rectangle and I learn abilities? Or is there more to it?

Just auto-level everything... the system wants you to believe that you have the choice to level your character, where in reality you don't have a choice at all.

Synless

Just auto-level everything... the system wants you to believe that you have the choice to level your character, where in reality you don't have a choice at all.
I see, they should have just left it the way they did it in all other Tales games if that is the case.

Videoneon

Got the LE today. The Artbook and CD were a nice touch, alleviating the lack of an instruction booklet somewhat. Free costumes are nice I guess, but I don't care much for costumes.

Will be spending quite some time on this.

Synless

How do you change costumes in this game? Millia's costume is god awful and I want to use my pre-order costume, but I am not seeing it under stats or anywhere else for that matter. Does it need to be unlocked later in the game or something?

Stuart444

How do you change costumes in this game? Millia's costume is god awful and I want to use my pre-order costume, but I am not seeing it under stats or anywhere else for that matter. Does it need to be unlocked later in the game or something?

Item menu -> DLC section and use the items there.

Equip menu, go down to the bottom and you can equip the costumes.

vall03

Minor spoilers:

Ugh, I'm forced to use Jude alone in one part of Millas story? I'm seriously going to have trouble going back when I use the other characters... *sigh*

solid mike

It's the latter.

Also looking through more of the JPN > ENG arte name changes...

Shouha Juumonji > Fatal Crossing

WTF. So it was Cross Thrust in Symphonia, Impact Cross in Vesperia, and now Fatal Crossing? /shakes head

EDIT: Poster at Tales forum might have confused it with another move. Here's hoping, I dislike when they don't keep things consistent, haha.

ex-silya.

Thanks for clearing that up.

a few hours or so in (met some loli with a puppet thing that clearly looks like she will be in your party someday. There really does seem to be a lot of lolis with puppets in tales games.). Digging the combat somewhat. Cast seems likeable so far. Love that Jude is the 'smart guy' in the part for once, that's usually left to the protag's best friend role. Don't know about how i feel about alvin just yet. seems a bit too... standard. Seems like there is one of his type in every tales game.

I'm a bit iffy with the world though. framerate shouldn't be ~30 fps for a game that looks not that much better than graces f which is a wii port. And this game not having an overall world is kinda not true because the way you move makes you feel like you are only on a world map lol. You just move like 30% slower than you'd like.

And is it just me or is the enemy encounter rate a bit higher than your average modern tales game? They just dump a shit load of them on each map so far, and there doesn't seem to be any clear 'path' to take if you want to avoid many baddies.

and on that note, not really digging the maps either. Just feel kinda plain and everything is scaled too big and you walk too slow... its that feeling you get when you play mmos lol.

Question: How do you use Jude's teleport behind baddies move well? I had no problem at the beginning where it was like 1v1 against stationary swinging soldiers, but now there are many enemies around and they all seem to have fairly long distance attack reach either from a big swing, or a charge/thrust move, i seem to get hit anyways if I back hop.

o_O

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Put about 4 hours in - about to meet Rowen. Overall I'm really enjoying the localization - moreso than when I played the original Japanese version. It's been so long since I've played the game so it feels fresh in a way, despite having beaten Xillia 2 earlier in the year.

Yup. This is pretty much how I felt.

Playing as Milla is so much fun. In every Tales game I played I always started off with the main character (who was always the sword wielder). Having the main sword wielder be a caster is fun as well. I love how she can turn her big artes into little quick ones.

jrush64

Banned
Finally played it today. Loving the game so far. Jude's already better than Asbel. Not seeing anything wrong with Milla's voice.

Will the disc version of the game go down in price in time... or rather go up? Still debating whether i should grab this right now or wait since i can't play it now anyways

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Will the disc version of the game go down in price in time... or rather go up? Still debating whether i should grab this right now or wait since i can't play it now anyways

It'll probably go down in like 6 months or so. Depends on if you want the stuff from the first print edition.

SaintZ

Even though I preordered this game, I just get the costumes for Milla and Jude, not fair. There is no Limited Edition in my country
ibwFuvakgRaCBi.gif

I played up until you meet Alvin last night.

It's weird going from Graces f battle system to this one which is more like the older games. I miss the side step but I guess I just have to get used to it.

And yes, the voices are pretty awesome. Milla's not bad but I just feel it doesn't suit her. She sounds a lot older than she looks.

I think the reason why people think Milla's voice is bad (partly at least) is because it seems like the audio quality is low enough to the point where s sounds make that fiajdoiasdkasoidj sound when you're listening to a recording in low enough quality.

Tendo

How does this compare to Abyss and Vesperia? I loved those two, but Graces left me meh. Any idea how this stacks up?

Top Bottom