• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So far I really enjoy playing as Alvin and Jude, Milla I don't really get how she works. I get that her spells double both as standard attack artes and spells but I can't seem to get the spells to work when I play as her and the AI never seems to use them linked or not linked.

Also with Alvin should I always be holding circle to charge or are there reasons not to?
You don't have to, but it certainly depends on your playstyle. If you want to continue using charged artes, go ahead. You'll get extra grade for it (and a trophy if you care about it). Later on, he'll get skills that allow him to hold charges, and hold multiple charges.

With Milla, remember for the charged spells, she needs to be able to cast the spell. Hold the artes button, let her cast the spell like in traditional Tales with the glowy circles appearing around her body, and let go. She'll charge the charged spell. Later on, you'll be able to cast longer spells more easily. As of now, remember to just get away from enemies so she can charge more easily. The AI will use her bind move whenever you're linked to her more often than a charged spell since that's how they typically work.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haven't started the game yet, question about the shop system. Are the multipliers for levelling up randomized? If so, how often are they changed up?
Yes they are. They change sometimes when you load the game, fight a few monsters, etc. Regardless of which shop location you're at, the multipliers will be the same everywhere.

lol, I think that's all the questions I'll handle before I go get my hair cut.

Edit: shit, sorry about the double post. I don't usually do that.

You don't have to, but it certainly depends on your playstyle. If you want to continue using charged artes, go ahead. You'll get extra grade for it (and a trophy if you care about it). Later on, he'll get skills that allow him to hold charges, and hold multiple charges.

With Milla, remember for the charged spells, she needs to be able to cast the spell. Hold the artes button, let her cast the spell like in traditional Tales with the glowy circles appearing around her body, and let go. She'll charge the charged spell. Later on, you'll be able to cast longer spells more easily. As of now, remember to just get away from enemies so she can charge more easily. The AI will use her bind move whenever you're linked to her more often than a charged spell since that's how they typically work.

So I just have to let go of the button after a few seconds for the spell? I guess that explains why I have a hard time getting them to work lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I just have to let go of the button after a few seconds for the spell? I guess that explains why I have a hard time getting them to work lol
Yep. Hold the button down for a few seconds. Just make sure that the glowy glyph thingys form around her body, and then let it rip.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Once the rings complete and connect it shows that the spell is done channeling. Let go of the button when this happens.

RPGCrazied

Just got Elize an Teepo. The voice acting has been pretty good so far, but these 2 aren't that great. It's almost Lymle levels of bad.

Bladenic

How come I can't use Milla's spells with the R stick? They worked fine in Xillia 2 but here I can only charge the spell with O. Do you get a skill for R stick or what?

kayos90

Just got Elize an Teepo. The voice acting has been pretty good so far, but these 2 aren't that great. It's almost Lymle levels of bad.

No way. Elize is actually well done I though. Lymle is extremely bad.

How come I can't use Milla's spells with the R stick? They worked fine in Xillia 2 but here I can only charge the spell with O. Do you get a skill for R stick or what?

No. Using character specific traits such as Charging with Alvin and Shift with Milla doesn't work in Xillia. They fixed this problem in Xillia 2.

I think you just can't do it. I remember I couldn't use the spells when playing the Japanese version.

Though I think once you get the skill that lets you cast spells in the air, you could use the R stick for it.

Does the EU version have different voices or is it the same as the NA version?

Can I play it in French or another language with subtitles in English? If I can I'll import it right away!

Bladenic

No way. Elize is actually well done I though. Lymle is extremely bad.

No. Using character specific traits such as Charging with Alvin and Shift with Milla doesn't work in Xillia. They fixed this problem in Xillia 2.

That's terrible and limiting. Meh, at least they fixed it in Xillia 2.

I think you just can't do it. I remember I couldn't use the spells when playing the Japanese version.

Though I think once you get the skill that lets you cast spells in the air, you could use the R stick for it.

What if you hold circle quickly after pressing the R shortcut? Just a suggestion, I have no idea if it works or not since I haven't tried Milla so far.

I've only played for a short time, but something about the combat bothers me. I don't like the fact that you have to hold a direction on the analog stick + O in order to execute certain abilities. It makes my character move for a short time before the ability starts.

I also don't like how Linked Artes work. It seems like they don't always go off when I want them to, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I can't even get them to go off at all no matter what. Like when I'm doing Milla + Alvin, I can never get a Linked Arte to go off. Even with Milla + Jude though, it doesn't seem to always work.

Also, I was looking at the walkthroughs on GameFAQs and none of them have a Milla Walkthrough. Is there anything easily missable I should know about?

Bladenic

I've only played for a short time, but something about the combat bothers me. I don't like the fact that you have to hold a direction on the analog stick + O in order to execute certain abilities. It makes my character move for a short time before the ability starts.

I also don't like how Linked Artes work. It seems like they don't always go off when I want them to, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I can't even get them to go off at all no matter what. Like when I'm doing Milla + Alvin, I can never get a Linked Arte to go off.

Also, I was looking at the walkthroughs on GameFAQs and none of them have a Milla Walkthrough. Is there anything easily missable I should know about?

You are using the correct Arte to trigger a Link Arte right? You can use a link Arte when a X in a circle appears over the character you're controlling after using an Arte. Not at all artes trigger link artes and you can check in the Arte menu by pressing R2.

is there a tutorial menu around? They sure do love to info dump on ya. i kinda forgot how the whole tag team thing works.

- what builds meter on the left?
- why leads to the icon flashing so you can do the combo attack things? Sometimes it flashes when i just have 1 section filled, sometimes more.
- what triggers the occasional normal attack team combo animations?
- the game mentioned something about sharing tp cost for skills or something, how does that work?
- is it all up to the ai if they will defend you, or flank the enemy?
- what is jude's secondary ability? I don't recall there being a tutorial explaining that.
- what does 'link chance' or w/e that says when you do link artes while in overdrive mode thing do?

- is 'power hit' or w/e its called basically saying the move was 'super effective'?

kayos90

is there a tutorial menu around? They sure do love to info dump on ya. i kinda forgot how the whole tag team thing works.

- what builds meter on the left?
- why leads to the icon flashing so you can do the combo attack things? Sometimes it flashes when i just have 1 section filled, sometimes more.
- what triggers the occasional normal attack team combo animations?
- the game mentioned something about sharing tp cost for skills or something, how does that work?
- is it all up to the ai if they will defend you, or flank the enemy?
- what is jude's secondary ability? I don't recall there being a tutorial explaining that.
- what does 'link chance' or w/e that says when you do link artes while in overdrive mode thing do?

- is 'power hit' or w/e its called basically saying the move was 'super effective'?

Check the Libarary in the menu.

- Overlimit builds on the left. Once it's filled with you can chain multiple link artes.
- Uh.. I don't even know what you're trying to say here.
- Certain artes trigger link artes. Check the Artes section for the list.
- You'll get the skill for that later.
- You can change how the AI works.
- Jude's Link Ability is healing and pick up.
- You can chain multiple link artes together.
- Yes.

kayos90

It's never bothered me in any other tales game because in the other tales games you don't have to hold down the button to "charge" the arte first.

Only certain characters have charge abilities. Not all of them do. And you don't particularly have to use it. It's all situational honestly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How does the link chance or whatever it says work? I know it only triggers in overlimit, but do you just perform the arte again when it says that on screen?

kayos90

How does the link chance or whatever it says work? I know it only triggers in overlimit, but do you just perform the arte again when it says that on screen?

You can chain multiple Link Artes together but you can't use the same one in a single rotation. This is why Link Artes is interesting as you're trying to figure out what Link Arte is the best to use given the displacement of the enemy, and you can change Link partners in the middle and use Link Artes with your new partner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can chain multiple Link Artes together but you can't use the same one in a single rotation. This is why Link Artes is interesting as you're trying to figure out what Link Arte is the best to use given the displacement of the enemy, and you can change Link partners in the middle and use Link Artes with your new partner.

Ah, makes sense. I've just been trying to redo the same arte and nothing happened. I don't even have enough to really make use of it yet I would guess.

Shouta

The vacuum Link Art is so good.

aravuus

Oh christ, goddamn Americans and your Tuesday releases. Making my wait painful.

I had something proper to ask too though, when will the PSN release unlock for us Europeans? Thursday 12pm GMT? GMT +2 midnight for me since I'm Finnish? Maybe even tomorrow, the browser store says "available in 1 days on 8/8/2013"?

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered a game from the PSN.

e: not like i expect anyone to know the future that is lol, just wondering how it's usually been with these

kayos90

The vacuum Link Art is so good.

Yup. After I use that I link with Alvin for the dragon glyph dive and go back with Jude for the aerial spiral.

so how do you do another one?

when link chance popup, you use another arte that isn't the one you did first and press r2?

You just do the input for the Arte that would initiate the Link Arte. Once the chain starts you don't need to press R2 anymore.

The shops in this game doesn't feel very Talesy at all. This game is really making me miss the feeling of going to a new town. Just going to new shops doesn't even feel all that great since I'm literally paying the people in materials and gald to expand more weapons and armor to me. While it's not a terrible system, I'd much prefer the old; new town = better weapons.

Also the part of the game I'm at right now is that I just met Elize. Though for about half of my playtime I've been grinding so I'm pretty overpowered at the moment.

Man, I have no idea why, but I find Milla's lisp endearing. I'd be psyched if they actually mentioned it sometime but I don't expect them too since it's probably not something in the Japanese voice acting. It's just kinda nice because it's not bad voice acting...she just has a lisp. That's it.

I am also terrible terrible terrible at chaining artes. Especially trying to switch characters mid-chain and continue it. I hope that doesn't become a sticking point for me later.

Something I may have mistakenly noticed. Sometimes when you're comboing while linked and you do this side-switching move...if you do an arte while you're glowing before you switch sides it does more damage. I'm not imagining this though, right? I tried it a bunch and it seemed pretty consistent.

I am also terrible terrible terrible at chaining artes. Especially trying to switch characters mid-chain and continue it. I hope that doesn't become a sticking point for me later.

I never even really tried switching characters mid-chain since just chaining up artes was hard enough for me. Though, once everyone starts learning more artes, most pairings can easily chain up 4 link artes in a row without having to switch characters mid-chain so I just stuck with that.

Ugh, I've never been more disappointed with a game this gen than this.

Sorry GAF, this game is disappointing. But thanks the Dragons Crown, it would've been a depressing week with gaming if it wasnt for that.

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone know where the hell the monster I'm supposed to kill for "The Amazing Bounty Hunter" is? I've been running around in the Deepwood for about 20 minutes now and I can't find it.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like there was one tiny area I kept missing.

Cheska

Milla's lisp doesn't bother me, nor does the flatness of her tone. I mean, I'm a fan of Lightning's VA so I'm sort of biased when it comes to that BUT what does irk me is how low her voice is. It just comes off as a bad recording with low audio and quality.

Sorry GAF, this game is disappointing. But thanks the Dragons Crown, it would've been a depressing week with gaming if it wasnt for that.

Can you elaborate on this? Seems like your last post was about how you thought it was better than Graces..

The only time Milla's voice bothers me is in combat when her face appears in the corner in what looks like a yelling face and she just speaks her lines like its nbd

I think I ran into a bugged quest.

Early on in
Nia Khera
one of the people asks you to get a
Insect Husk
. Which I did and brought it back however I can't talk to her anymore. Exiting and re-entering doesn't change anything.

Cheska

I think I ran into a bugged quest.

Early on in
Nia Khera
one of the people asks you to get a
Insect Husk
. Which I did and brought it back however I can't talk to her anymore. Exiting and re-entering doesn't change anything.

I hate to mention it, but have you tried re-loading your previous save?

The only time Milla's voice bothers me is in combat when her face appears in the corner in what looks like a yelling face and she just speaks her lines like its nbd

Seems to be a lot of that. Like all of insane freckle girl's lines. Her character will be flipping out or her face will be violently angry and her delivery just...does not match. It's not bad reading but it just doesn't fit.

Alvin is spot fucking on though. And Milla's nbd delivery makes lines like "The Aesthetics of Being the Catcher" hysterical.

MilkBeard

Ha ha. Fun surprise, your accessories show up on the character models in cutscenes.
I forgot that I put the 'bushy brows' accessory on Alvin, and he just showed up in a cutscene all serious..,except with those ridiculous brows! I was laughing my butt off. I hope there are more options for accessories later. Could be really fun to play around with.

Saiyan-Rox

Skipped FFXIII then? :p

Can't say anything about Xillia yet since i have to wait 2 days before it's released here :( but from what i've seen it's better than Graces anyway even tho I hate hate hate it's battle system

Jinjo

Got this early (for EU), together with my import of Dragon's Crown. Should be some good gaming weeks ahead. Played through the intro, so far it feels like a Tales game. Only completed Vesperia a few months ago after it lying on the shelf for a very long time. Hope this one is just as good. Ended up picking Jude after comparing both intro sequences, definitely the better choice story wise.

The trophy list isn't showing up for me in XMB though? Maybe because I got it early? Trophies not synced to the server yet?

Top Bottom