• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Eusis

Is there any reason to not dump all your materials into shop expansion? Do materials do anything else worth saving them for?
Doesn't really sound like it. No equipment upgrades anyway so the most I can imagine is to turn them in to complete a quest and that's probably not there either.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is there any reason to not dump all your materials into shop expansion? Do materials do anything else worth saving them for?

I only invested in upgrading the weapon and armor shops for the materials that have the 2x multipliers. If it doesn't have it then I didn't use the material. You can sell the materials for gald I guess.

Reveirg

I think the reason why people think Milla's voice is bad (partly at least) is because it seems like the audio quality is low enough to the point where s sounds make that fiajdoiasdkasoidj sound when you're listening to a recording in low enough quality.

Yeah the actress seems fine but her recordings sound like they were compressed into something equivalent to an MP3 @ 96kbps.

The high frequencies are all filtered out and the sibilants are completely crushed. It's especially glaring considering every other character sounds fine.

Either the actress had very poor microphone technique or the sound engineer had a bad day at work =/.

Cheska

Man, for some reason I can't strike foes from behind. I've never had trouble getting preemptive attacks in the previous games.

Shouta

As I recall, no. But some quests will ask you to give items, I think? It's been awhile since I played Xillia 1. There's more reason to do so in 2.

Gald is the big thing though. Regular money drops aren't enough to keep your gear up to date so selling items is important if you want to stay upgraded.

I only invested in upgrading the weapon and armor shops for the materials that have the 2x multipliers. If it doesn't have it then I didn't use the material. You can sell the materials for gald I guess.

Yeah everything currently has 2x multiplies so I dumped it all. Seems like you could get over powered gear if you waited

Chemo

Picked this up yesterday, like I do with all Tales games (on platforms I own). Won't get a chance to play it for a little while because of Dragon's Crown, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

I still consider day one Tales PS3 purchases as votes for localization of the PS3 version of Vesperia, regardless of how much they say it will never happen, hahahah.

I can never do it either, tbh...

Really? I've just been stopping my characters at least three or four character widths away from the enemy and using the walk button to creep up on them. Blue X every time, and every time I've run up to an enemy, I get the exclamation point

Stuart444

I got my shipping confirmation with DLC code (which I've redeemed)

Tracking so far says:

07/08/2013 02:46 FR0094 Fleury Mérogis, France 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
06/08/2013 18:37 FR0069 St Genis Laval, France 1.0 Outbound from GLS location
06/08/2013 18:37 FR0069 St Genis Laval, France 0.0 Inbound to GLS location
29/07/2013 12:44 FR0069 St Genis Laval, France 0.100 Information transmitted, no shipment available now

So hopefully since there has been no tracking update in a while that it's between France and England. If so, it should get to Scotland in time for Friday delivery.

Fingers crossed anyway :)

PKrockin

Man... I dread when I start to play the game.
It's going to be Growlanser 2's Carmaine all over again...
Honestly, it's not that bad. There's something weird about her voice and I'm not sure what because I had the volume low, but it's distracting at times. It also doesn't seem to be a particularly good performance either but I'll save judgment for when I've played more than an hour. Anyway, it's just plain bad, nowhere near SO4/Arc Rise Phantasia/Chaos Wars bad. And it's just one character, the others are fine so far.

Awesome. TotA was fabulous so this is refreshing to hear.
lol. I love the wildly differing opinions on Abyss's story.

PKrockin

Pressing O makes you walk. After I learned that, it was easy.
Yeah. I noticed that enemies will hear you coming if you run. I forgot about the walk button though so I was trying to precariously tilt the stick just enough to walk, with no success.

EDIT: Nvm, I just looked up what the DEX stat does and I don't think I really need that on Alvin. I really need to look up what all the stats do.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Made it to Maxwell's "town" before going to sleep. The "Press select for story" bits are great as usual. Fighting seems enjoyable so far. Story is still up for grabs, but the Professor in the tank reveal was something.

dropbear

Banned
Somewhat off-topic, but...

I haven't played Xillia or Vesperia or Graces f. Which one should I play first? Which is the definitive Tales experience (assuming I played Symphonia and Abyss extensively)?

PKrockin

Somewhat off-topic, but...

I haven't played Xillia or Vesperia or Graces f. Which one should I play first? Which is the definitive Tales experience (assuming I played Symphonia and Abyss extensively)?
Between Vesperia and Graces, the former is the more well rounded and overall higher quality game that I'd first recommend to people. If you're playing for the battles and mechanics you may enjoy Graces more, though.

Vesperia is also basically a refinement/progression of the Symphonia and Abyss formula and Graces switches it up quite a bit.

jiggle

milla's hair is so such a mess
looks like some sort of bird sitting on her head
and when she moves
the 3 pieces of hair moves look like flapping wings from behind

intro makes me think of death of fire 4
so far pretty enjoyable

Zafir

I got my shipping confirmation with DLC code (which I've redeemed)

Tracking so far says:

So hopefully since there has been no tracking update in a while that it's between France and England. If so, it should get to Scotland in time for Friday delivery.

Fingers crossed anyway :)
Same. Except mine has less French place entries said it left st genis yesterday. Can't wait. :)

KAL2006

Banned
I am not in a rush to buy this game and could wait until it drops to £15. Is this one of games that gets more expensive due to low print run.

matmanx1

I had forgotten how pretty this game was. I played the first few hours in Japanese when I got my X Edition console back in the day but last night was my first foray into the English version and I am impressed.

PKrockin

I was wondering why the Phantasia reference in the opening monologue until I remembered this is supposed to be an anniversary game. Haha.

solid mike

milla's hair is so such a mess
looks like some sort of bird sitting on her head
and when she moves
the 3 pieces of hair moves look like flapping wings from behind

intro makes me think of death of fire 4
so far pretty enjoyable

IIRC, Milla's hair falls under a Japanese style category called 'ahoge'.

Dragoshi1

Got to Milla's town, but dang it, the area north of it is crawling with things that utterly DESTROY my currently Lv13 team.

I've fought every single monster/enemy up to this point, invested heavily in weapon and armor shop expansion, have the best gear for all three characters, and even completed every possible sub quest.

Why is my team being destroyed so badly?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm a bit iffy with the world though. framerate shouldn't be ~30 fps for a game that looks not that much better than graces f which is a wii port. And this game not having an overall world is kinda not true because the way you move makes you feel like you are only on a world map lol. You just move like 30% slower than you'd like.

And is it just me or is the enemy encounter rate a bit higher than your average modern tales game? They just dump a shit load of them on each map so far, and there doesn't seem to be any clear 'path' to take if you want to avoid many baddies.

and on that note, not really digging the maps either. Just feel kinda plain and everything is scaled too big and you walk too slow... its that feeling you get when you play mmos lol.

Question: How do you use Jude's teleport behind baddies move well? I had no problem at the beginning where it was like 1v1 against stationary swinging soldiers, but now there are many enemies around and they all seem to have fairly long distance attack reach either from a big swing, or a charge/thrust move, i seem to get hit anyways if I back hop.
When there's a lot of stuff happening, the framerate dips quite a bit. According to kayos and others, apparently this version seems to have more slowdown than the JP version which is really weird to me. I wonder why that's the case.

As for the enemy encounter rate, that's more due to the maps than anything else. The maps are larger, and thus there are more enemies on the field because they couldn't find anything else important to do with the fields. That's typically what happens in RPG map design whenever fields get too big and they don't really put much in them. You see that even in older ones. I could write paragraphs on games with good map design and games with bad map design, but this isn't the place for it.

Now you know how a few of us felt about the maps in general. Unnecessarily big for the sake of spectacle. If you have to make a larger map, do it for a playable reason. I don't like when games decide to up the ante on their larger maps if there isn't a reason to do it. The Calm Lands in FFX actually did it well, for instance.

Didn't see this answered, but slower enemies are much easier to use his vanish move on than weaker enemies. As the game goes on, you'll increase his speed stat, which makes it easier, but typically, you want to use it just as the enemy is about to strike you. Watch for when they're about to animate and just do it.

fuuuuck... jude's counter teleport thing works even if you back dash multiple times...

this is kinda broken op lol.
Jude's broken
can beat the game with him solo
gets a speed nerf in the second game
zzzz

Vesperia.

Yeah. I noticed that enemies will hear you coming if you run. I forgot about the walk button though so I was trying to precariously tilt the stick just enough to walk, with no success.
Not to mention that you can actually run up, deke them out, and run in a circle behind them. That's what I usually do. But yeah, enemies will hear you if you run up to them, so it's best to walk up to them most of the time.

Got to Milla's town, but dang it, the area north of it is crawling with things that utterly DESTROY my currently Lv13 team.

I've fought every single monster/enemy up to this point, invested heavily in weapon and armor shop expansion, have the best gear for all three characters, and even completed every possible sub quest.

Why is my team being destroyed so badly?
You went to the wrong area. You're supposed to go to the exit to the northwest, not the northeast.

That exit you took was an optional area and you don't have to go there until later in the game and even then it's optional. You can use it to level up and grind materials if you want to, but you should really go to the northwest exit instead after getting all the elemental stones.

So far I really enjoy playing as Alvin and Jude, Milla I don't really get how she works. I get that her spells double both as standard attack artes and spells but I can't seem to get the spells to work when I play as her and the AI never seems to use them linked or not linked.

Also with Alvin should I always be holding circle to charge or are there reasons not to?

khaaan

Haven't started the game yet, question about the shop system. Are the multipliers for levelling up randomized? If so, how often are they changed up?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So far I really enjoy playing as Alvin and Jude, Milla I don't really get how she works. I get that her spells double both as standard attack artes and spells but I can't seem to get the spells to work when I play as her and the AI never seems to use them linked or not linked.

Also with Alvin should I always be holding circle to charge or are there reasons not to?

Charge changes up Artes to make them different/stronger. Also changes up Link Arte sometimes.

Milla has Shift which allows her to use Spirit Artes as a castable spell or a magic attack. For spells you have to hold the button. AI uses them depending on who she's linked to.

Top Bottom