• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kewlmyc

Seems to be a lot of that. Like all of insane freckle girl's lines. Her character will be flipping out or her face will be violently angry and her delivery just...does not match. It's not bad reading but it just doesn't fit.

Alvin is spot fucking on though. And Milla's nbd delivery makes lines like "The Aesthetics of Being the Catcher" hysterical.

I'm known to be a pretty oblivious guy, so I didn't understand this joke.

Saiyan-Rox

Got this early (for EU), together with my import of Dragon's Crown. Should be some good gaming weeks ahead. Played through the intro, so far it feels like a Tales game. Only completed Vesperia a few months ago after it lying on the shelf for a very long time. Hope this one is just as good. Ended up picking Jude after comparing both intro sequences, definitely the better choice story wise.

The trophy list isn't showing up for me in XMB though? Maybe because I got it early? Trophies not synced to the server yet?

trophies are on the disc so no they should be there. they should be installed when you first boot the disc up there's usually a bar to tell you that. sync your trophies manually see if the list appears if you haven't already.

Wow. I seriously underestimated Jude. The Nameless Anomaly boss was kicking my ass until I took control of him. His healer skill proved useful.

I think there's a problem with the AI. While fighting the boss with Jude and Milla linked up, Rowen and Elize were linked up and they were in a corner doing ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING until I told them to get off their ass and use Splash and Negative Gate.

A catcher is the person receiving anal when two gay guys have sex.

This localization....is amazing.

Wow. I seriously underestimated Jude. The Nameless Anomaly boss was kicking my ass until I took control of him. His healer skill proved useful.

I think there's a problem with the AI. While fighting the boss with Jude and Milla linked up, Rowen and Elize were linked up and they were in a corner doing ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING until I told them to get off their ass and use Splash and Negative Gate.

Check their strategies settings. The AI is very finicky about how its set up and I remember having to literally play around with the settings so they'll actually do stuff when paired up.

Deitus

Picked this up yesterday along with Dragon's Crown, but I haven't played it yet. Honestly, I've been so hyped about DC lately, that I haven't been following this game at all in the last few months, and I'll probably not get around to playing this for a couple weeks.

Anyway, I was looking through the new releases on PSN and was really disappointed by the sheer volume of day one DLC unlocks for this game. There are like 30 different pieces of DLC in the store.

Are there a lot of unlockable costumes in the actual game? I've always loved unlocking the costumes in previous tales games, so it would suck if they pulled them out to charge money for them. I guess I probably wouldn't use bathing suit or maid costumes either way, but there better be sufficient costumes to choose from without having to shell out for them. And yeah, I know they have expanded the attachment system from the last couple of games, but putting bunny ears and glasses on a character is not really a replacement for a full costume.

But what really gets me are the "pay money to bypass grinding" unlocks. It immediately sets of red flags for me, wondering if they made the grind bad enough that someone would be willing to pay real money to avoid it. I know Vesperia also had these, and they were dumb there too, but it seems like there are more of them this time.

This localization....is amazing.

Check their strategies settings. The AI is very finicky about how its set up and I remember having to literally play around with the settings so they'll actually do stuff when paired up.

I think I set Elize up to heal when linked and for Rowen to be "Up to You". I certainly stopped telling them to protect themselves.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I got the hang of Graces' AI, so it shouldn't be too hard here.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I thought it was just talking about a person being pursued by another... I just... T_T.... I didn't really want to know this...

Anyway, I was looking through the new releases on PSN and was really disappointed by the sheer volume of day one DLC unlocks for this game. There are like 30 different pieces of DLC in the store.

Are there a lot of unlockable costumes in the actual game? I've always loved unlocking the costumes in previous tales games, so it would suck if they pulled them out to charge money for them. I guess I probably wouldn't use bathing suit or maid costumes either way, but there better be sufficient costumes to choose from without having to shell out for them. And yeah, I know they have expanded the attachment system from the last couple of games, but putting bunny ears and glasses on a character is not really a replacement for a full costume.

But what really gets me are the "pay money to bypass grinding" unlocks. It immediately sets of red flags for me, wondering if they made the grind bad enough that someone would be willing to pay real money to avoid it. I know Vesperia also had these, and they were dumb there too, but it seems like there are more of them this time.

A total of 4 unlockable costumes in the game itself. Spread over three different characters so don't expect much costumes in this game. There are the free Color Variation DLC, which while not much I really enjoyed using them.

They aren't as needed. The gald isn't needed one bit and the levels will only help you bypass the boring grind you'll have to do to raise everyone to level 99 once you hit level 80 or something. But, you can easily bypass the grind by abusing combo exp bonuses if you choose to.

I think I set Elize up to heal when linked and for Rowen to be "Up to You". I certainly stopped telling them to protect themselves.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I got the hang of Graces' AI, so it shouldn't be too hard here.

I believe one of the problems is probably which AI character is the leader and the other is the follower. Since you can't force who to be what, it could lead to one or multiple characters just standing around or whatever.

kayos90

Going through the last part of the game cuz I messed up something. My hands are already freaking out about the final boss. =/

Curufinwe

I've never played a Tales game before, but the very thorough EGM review got me interested in it. Of course the first comment is someone whining the review is shitty because of the 7.5 score, but that score doesn't put me off at all.

kayos90

I've never played a Tales game before, but the very thorough EGM review got me interested in it. Of course the first comment is someone whining the review is shitty because of the 7.5 score, but that score doesn't put me off at all.

What's your RPG background and what kind of stuff are you looking for?

Deitus

A total of 4 unlockable costumes in the game itself. Spread over three different characters so don't expect much costumes in this game. There are the free Color Variation DLC, which while not much I really enjoyed using them.

Ugh, that's awful. This is why I don't buy into the whole "DLC is optional, so don't buy it if you don't like it" arguments. I miss the old days when unlockables were rewards for diligent players. /yellsatcloud

They aren't as needed. The gald isn't needed one bit and the levels will only help you bypass the boring grind you'll have to do to raise everyone to level 99 once you hit level 80 or something. But, you can easily bypass the grind by abusing combo exp bonuses if you choose to.

I'm not really concerned that it will be "needed". I'm more concerned that the game will be so grindy to the point where it becomes a chore. I'm the type that doesn't mind a bit of grind in my games as long as the battle system is fun enough, but there were times in Vesperia where you couldn't do the item crafting unless you spent a huge chunk of time farming the same enemy to get them to drop items with extremely low drop rates. That wasn't a function of the DLC unlock, but rather poor game design/balance.

The fact that they choose to implement a "pay to get exp, gold, and crafting materials" system doesn't necessarily mean that they intentionally upped the grind to compensate. It does suggest to me that they might have some flawed aspects in their game design, and rather than address the flaws they just treat the symptom and say "pay to skip it if you don't like it". I haven't played the game obviously, so I'm not speaking from any sort of experience. But that's the initial reaction it gives me.

I'm not really concerned that it will be "needed". I'm more concerned that the game will be so grindy to the point where it becomes a chore. I'm the type that doesn't mind a bit of grind in my games as long as the battle system is fun enough, but there were times in Vesperia where you couldn't do the item crafting unless you spent a huge chunk of time farming the same enemy to get them to drop items with extremely low drop rates. That wasn't a function of the DLC unlock, but rather poor game design/balance.

The fact that they choose to implement a "pay to get exp, gold, and crafting materials" system doesn't necessarily mean that they intentionally upped the grind to compensate. It does suggest to me that they might have some flawed aspects in their game design, and rather than address the flaws they just treat the symptom and say "pay to skip it if you don't like it". I haven't played the game obviously, so I'm not speaking from any sort of experience. But that's the initial reaction it gives me.

The game doesn't require a grind unless you are aiming to get the platinum. You don't need exact materials to make stuff, sidequests reward you with a decent amount of gald, and exp comes at a good pace as well. And even then, using the grade shop options in the second playthrough (that you'll have to do for the plat trivializes all of this anyway).

Gald is only hard to come by outside of sidequests rewards until you upgrade the accessory shop to the point where you can buy Sepherias and then you start drowning in money.

The levels as I said is only real useful for leveling everyone to level 99 and that's only because there are trophies associated with actually doing that and that's a quick way to get the trophies. You could always go through the EX Dungeon to gain the levels instead.

kayos90

Otsukareia.

HighFiveXillia.gif

PKrockin

Ugh, that's awful. This is why I don't buy into the whole "DLC is optional, so don't buy it if you don't like it" arguments. I miss the old days when unlockables were rewards for diligent players. /yellsatcloud
I don't disagree with the sentiment but were unlockable costumes ever a thing in old school RPGs?

Aeana

Wendee Lee within the first 10 minutes of Jude's game. (._. )

I just remembered that last time I finished this game I said I'd do Milla's next, though, so I think I'll do that.

kewlmyc

Wow, it turns out that I could care less about the costumes, but I'm having a blast with the hair customization. I'm tempted to buy each costume just so I can constantly change their hairstyles.

Wendee Lee within the first 10 minutes of Jude's game. (._. )

I just remembered that last time I finished this game I said I'd do Milla's next, though, so I think I'll do that.

Didn't recognize her. Who was she?

bryehn

Not a big fan of Tales games at all, but managed to pre order this (probably while slightly drunk). Is there anything, uhm...less spastic about the battle system compared to Symphonia or whatever the ps2 one we got in NA was called?

Also wondering how limited the LE is if at all. I'll likely leave it it sealed while I play a few other games and hopefully flip it for at least what I paid for it.

...unless there's something really different about the combat system that may interest me.

kayos90

Wow, it turns out that I could care less about the costumes, but I'm having a blast with the hair customization. I'm tempted to buy each costume just so I can constantly change their hairstyles.

Mystery Girl Uno iirc.

MilkBeard

It takes a couple of hours, but I've started to become acclimated to the battle system and the different ways to link combos. At first I was feeling a bit stiff, coming from Graces which controls a bit differently. But I'm totally starting to dig the link combos now. Loving the chance combo frenzy, then switching links to another character for an additional.

When in doubt, the battle system always delivers in Tales games.

Aeana

Nurse Prinn.

Persona7

Banned
I got my copy today at gamestop. I went in at 11AM and they told me it didn't arrive yet so I left mad and I saw the UPS guy wheeling in a bunch of boxes so I went back in and they had finally received both versions of the game.

Bladenic

The catcher joke was amazing. What was the JP original? It's a skit where Milla names two books she's read on intimacy and bondage.

Question about side quests. Do the multi part ones all wrap up in the act you start them in or do they carry over to other acts? Wanna make sure I don't miss any.

The catcher joke was amazing. What was the JP original? It's a skit where Milla names two books she's read on intimacy and bondage.

Question about side quests. Do the multi part ones all wrap up in the act you start them in or do they carry over to other acts? Wanna make sure I don't miss any.

I believe they can carry over between acts/chapters.

I think the most common example is that you need an item you can't get until later in the game.

kayos90

yep. mentioned it earlier lol.

Not a real big fan of his play style though. charging characters are for lame-os.

his link ability of guard break is great though.

Alvin gets stupid levels of fast for his style by the end game. His charge is also awesome for some of his other artes. Sonic Blade is 100x better with charge.

Aeana

When people said Milla had a lisp, I thought it was like an actual lisp. What's happening here is that the frequencies on the voice clips are cut, so any 's' sounds (high treble) blunted which makes it sound like there's a lisp. The voice quality is definitely not very good.

Jinjo

Probably. You should be able to see them if you set the trophies menu to offline mode, though.

Thanks, I see them that way. So most likely Sony hasn't synced them to their servers yet.

So after trying out fighting with Jude, Milla and Alvin I think I'm gonna stick with Milla as my main (despite choosing the Jude storyline). Like her the best out of all. Would have picked Alvin if he was a bit faster. Too slow for my taste. The Tales battle system always suits the faster characters the best imo. Really digging the linking system, should be good. Like it better than Vesperia's version (Fatal Strikes).

Also, I was pleasantly surprised they kept the jpop song for the intro movie and not switch it up with some lame instrumental. (although Vesperia's English version of the japanese song was cool too). Is this the first time they've done that?

When people said Milla had a lisp, I thought it was like an actual lisp. What's happening here is that the frequencies on the voice clips are cut, so any 's' sounds (high treble) blunted which makes it sound like there's a lisp. The voice quality is definitely not very good.

Either way, it's really difficult to unhear. Took me a while to get used to and I still am not completely.

kaim

Neo Member

Yep.. as someone who worked for a large pro audio company for 8 years.. the voice work in this game is poor.. and very questionable in this area. I can only imagine how many people in the audio industry that can't find good work that could easily outproduce this voice work. I am referring to the audio quality.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uhhhhhhhhhh.

Schala's Cousin: "So, you finished Time & Eternity? I'm sorry about pawning the game off on you. Here, I got you Tales of Xillia. You like Tales, right? I heard this one was really good."

Ahahahahahaha... ha... ha... So now I have a copy of it. But SMT4 takes priority. :V

Ugh, I've never been more disappointed with a game this gen than this.

Sorry GAF, this game is disappointing. But thanks the Dragons Crown, it would've been a depressing week with gaming if it wasnt for that.
Can I ask for elaboration? Just because I'd like to know if your criticisms are similar to some importers'.

Wait. What. That is not how I interpreted that.... =/
So young. So innocent.

kayos90

Yep.. as someone who worked for a large pro audio company for 8 years.. the voice work in this game is poor.. and very questionable in this area. I can only imagine how many people in the audio industry that can't find good work that could easily outproduce this voice work. I am referring to the audio quality.

I wonder what yall think when yall start using mystic artes and the audio quality during one particular part in act 2.

Uhhhhhhhhhh.

Schala's Cousin: "So, you finished Time & Eternity? I'm sorry about pawning the game off on you. Here, I got you Tales of Xillia. You like Tales, right? I heard this one was really good."

Ahahahahahaha... ha... ha... So now I have a copy of it. But SMT4 takes priority. :V

But even Aeana and Kagari and I are playing it... T_T

Maledict

Ugh, I've never been more disappointed with a game this gen than this.

Sorry GAF, this game is disappointing. But thanks the Dragons Crown, it would've been a depressing week with gaming if it wasnt for that.

Only played for a short while, but so far it seems very much like a Tales game - interesting design, very anime, lots of complicated horizontal systems, and a truly terrible combat engine that just doesn't work in real time.

On the plus side, it's significantly better than No-Ki-Oni which had the most wonderful world and art ever and gameplay mechanics and a combat system that were simply atrocious. *That* was a let-down of a game - such a poor game to accompany such a wonderful world.

Eusis

Anyone whose played it would definitely figure out you were referring to audio quality I'd think, and yeah, I thought the same as Aeana about that "lisp", especially when people pointed out the audio's fine in an interview video. It's just baffling it's this bad, I could understand in some PS2 games being low on space, doubly so for a handheld game (I believe this was why VLR was crystal clear on Vita but low quality on 3DS?), but on a modern PS3 game that'd fit on a DVD it makes no god damn sense short of audio engineers being the weak link in the localization effort as everything else comes off as top notch.

Top Bottom