• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
*insert laugh track*

Does this game have any 'tents' or what not to heal up at save points?

Buying food (takeout) is probably the best method, you can always heal with artes out of battle too.

Save Points are supposed to heal 50% of your health based on what the game said.

MechaX

I used the swimsuit until the school one came out.

I forgot there was a school one. I might even end up using that one because this default outfit just isn't doing it.

Are you calling me old?

Are you talking Tales standards or sensible real life standards? Because in Tales standards, I think 95% of this thread are closing in or reached "Decrepit Old Man Raven (age 30)" status.

Eusis

Did the Japanese version use O for normal attacks and X for artes? I can't remember. If that's the case it'll explain why I keep confusing the buttons.
Yeah, they tend to be weird and/or dumb and fip those with confirm/cancel, though they left them alone in Vesperia. There's options to switch back though and I'd been doing that ever since I cut my teeth on Vesperia, I think only Legendia didn't allow it.
Are you talking Tales standards or sensible real life standards? Because in Tales standards, I think 95% of this thread are closing in or reached "Decrepit Old Man Raven (age 30)" status.
By most JRPG standards you're bound for the retirement home at 20 anyway.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, they tend to be weird and/or dumb and fip those with confirm/cancel, though they left them alone in Vesperia. There's options to switch back though and I'd been doing that ever since I cut my teeth on Vesperia, I think only Legendia didn't allow it.

Also, I think PS3 Vesperia was weird. IIRC, the game kept the confirm and cancel buttons the same as whatever region your PS3 was.
I can't remember if that applied to artes though. Someone can correct me though if I'm wrong.

I forgot there was a school one. I might even end up using that one because this default outfit just isn't doing it.

Lol Age is nothing but a number. I'm 33 and I usually love these games.

Proper credit for the dub should go to the US producer Ted Tsung (who is awesome and works his ass off for this series). We provided the scripts, but he handled the recording (likewise in TOGf). From what I've seen, people seem to be digging the voices -- can't wait to hear 'em myself!

We love to do voices ourselves when we can, but the opportunity doesn't arise too often because of budgets, the fact that we're over in Tokyo, etc. Last two we did were...I wanna say Nier and Fire Emblem Awakening. If I'm not forgetting anything. (About to do another one soon, so pretty excited about that!)

Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying TOX! :D

One of my friends voiced for both this and FE: A. Hope to get to work with you guys someday!

Kaizer

Banned
Just got the game in from GameFly, pretty excited - starting with Jude. I do feel a little naked though, I'm used to playing Tales games with guides/walkthroughs so I don't miss any subevents or other extras. Still searching for a decent one.

UPS just dropped these off! Playing Xillia first with my little bro.

null-21.jpg~original

Eusis

Good thing Xillia allows 2 player co-op for efficient play.
You mean 4. Though I'm not sure how often that actually gets employed and it sounds like the camera isn't too friendly for that.

... Probably makes it an interesting party game.

Kilrathi

my copy came in today, the stereoscopic 3d isn't listed on the front or the back of the box. There isn't any option to turn it on. I take it they never added stereoscopic support or am i missing something. Enjoying the game so far much more than Grace F.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sometimes I feel like I'm old because everyone I know is either getting married or they're having kids already.

Yup. I'm not particular fond of her playstyle honestly.
Really? I enjoyed using her a lot. Definitely one of my favourites to control, because her artes cover the territory I want to cover.

You mean 4. Though I'm not sure how often that actually gets employed and it sounds like the camera isn't too friendly for that.

... Probably makes it an interesting party game.

Playing with 4 people pretty much means you can not use the link system.

Yup. I'm not particular fond of her playstyle honestly.

She just needs more moves. Cause really after you get Kasshinkon Waltz/ Soulstoke Spin, you'll probably use nothing else. (Though almost everyone suffers from this).

I did like her item stealing and once you get the skill that counts flash guard to backstep, she'll be extending her staff all the time.

Eusis

Playing with 4 people pretty much means you can not use the link system.
That's sort of stupid. Probably an oversight or a bit of a pain to implement properly due to how much of it is an AI guidance system, though it'd kind of funny if they left it out just so friends and family didn't have to pick favorites among each other.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's sort of stupid. Probably an oversight, though it'd kind of funny if they left it out just so friends and family didn't have to pick favorites among each other.

An oversight you say? *looks at the copy of Xillia 2 in the bedroom*

Eusis

Oversights can be ignored for a long, long time.
Even worse how it's impossible to complete the EX dungeon with 4 people.
Man, that makes it really dumb.

... and now that I think about it, I wonder if getting online play into Tales of would make them take the MP aspect more seriously again. Though I think that'd need to work more like DQIX (with some Persona thrown in) rather than a complete overhaul, allow everyone to move freely in a field then reunite for battle if they're in proximity. Guess battles would be too fast for reinforcements outside of boss fights to be practical though, hell maybe they'd be too last to justify after lag's taken into account.

Dio

Banned

Can't wait, since I'm skipping Xillia thanks to the fact that both games share a lot of assets and peer pressure (since every knowledgeable friend of mine is telling me to not get it).

I will probably enjoy 2 a lot more if everything's fresh to me and all I know is the story of the first one.

... and now that I think about it, I wonder if getting online play into Tales of would make them take the MP aspect more seriously again. Though I think that'd need to work more like DQIX (with some Persona thrown in) rather than a complete overhaul, allow everyone to move freely in a field then reunite for battle if they're in proximity. Guess battles would be too fast for reinforcements outside of boss fights to be practical though, hell maybe they'd be too last to justify after lag's taken into account.
I actually played Graces co-op with a friend when I visited Scotland, we switched between Sophie and Asbel a lot. It was fun, but holy shitting fuck does the camera suck sometimes (yes we tried all settings)

It's funny how great everything is when you play alone though, no problems.

Also I liked how I could just hand over the title stuff to him, because he has OCD when it comes to title leveling so we were going into that menu AFTER EVERY FIGHT on his request so I just said fuck it, you do it. It immensely helped in the end, though!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh shit, do stores not progress at all without you donating stuff? I can get the hate then. So every weapon shop is the exact same, but when you donate x materials to a single shop all of the weapon shops in the world get the same stuff, even though that doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, not a fan of that. Oh well.

MechaX

Holy shit the Cless costume actually turns the battle theme into the Phantasia battle theme. Why didn't I know this?!

kayos90

Can't wait, since I'm skipping Xillia thanks to the fact that both games share a lot of assets and peer pressure (since every knowledgeable friend of mine is telling me to not get it).

I will probably enjoy 2 a lot more if everything's fresh to me and all I know is the story of the first one.

This is a terrible decision. You'll miss out on some of the great aspects of Xillia 2 as a result. =(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh shit, do stores not progress at all without you donating stuff? I can get the hate then. So every weapon shop is the exact same, but when you donate x materials to a single shop all of the weapon shops in the world get the same stuff, even though that doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, not a fan of that. Oh well.
That's right! All of the shops stay static unless you put some progress into them (ie: buy stuff/donate materials). There's no sense of economy, really. Not to mention what Aeana said about the satisfaction of getting to new towns and investing in new gear. Kinda takes the fun out of it and makes it a grindy affair.

Really? But...but I'm being told to completely avoid playing the first game because of its problems.
It's perfectly playable. It's fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

You won't know until you try it yourself. That's why I play a lot of shitty games. Some people tell me they're good and I don't like them. Some people tell me games are bad, and I like them. Some people tell me games are bad and I really dislike them! So it's a matter of what you think in the end.

Aeana

Really? But...but I'm being told to completely avoid playing the first game because of its problems.
Playing Xillia 2 without playing Xillia is a dumb idea. Full stop.
Xillia has problems, but the game is important to 2.

Dio

Banned
Who told you this?

Well, a friend of mine who's fluent in Japanese so he played it ages ago, and a friend of mine who's the Big Shit when it comes to videogames (and that one shares a hell of a lot in common with me, so I trust his opinion when it comes to dropping 60 bucks on a videogame). I know both of them in real life, but this is just getting into blogging.

Maybe my expectations are too high since I filter a lot of what I play through various means.

bryt

Thank you! I never knew you could change button configs. Everything feels right now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well, a friend of mine who's fluent in Japanese so he played it ages ago, and a friend of mine who's the Big Shit when it comes to videogames (and that one shares a hell of a lot in common with me, so I trust his opinion when it comes to dropping 60 bucks on a videogame). I know both of them in real life, but this is just getting into blogging.

Maybe my expectations are too high since I filter a lot of what I play through various means.

Definitely don't listen him on this one. ToX2 wouldn't be as enjoyable without knowing the original cast and seeing how much things have changed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Honestly, look at what everyone in this thread has been saying. That they've been having fun with the game as-is now. Despite importers saying that the game has its share of shortcomings. Some people, like myself, don't like that Xillia doesn't offer cohesive systems or that its battle system is kind of broken due to the characters being pretty overpowered or having skills that trivialize some aspects of it. Others just don't give a shit about that kind of stuff.

Part of this is due to the possibility that some people go for the narrative and characters in video games, and that's perfectly fine. Xillia has a decent cast and a narrative that would satisfy a lot of people. Of course people are going to have that difference of opinion. That's acceptable.

So who knows? Maybe you might actually think it's okay! Not everyone's going to think the same thing about a video game at all.

kayos90

Narratively, playing Xillia 1 is really important. Xillia 1 does a lot of world building and character development that makes Xillia 2 a much richer experience. You get to see how characters have changed after they have grown, or not, and how they cope with the problems of the world and their place in it. It's a very interesting story that you appreciate for having played Xillia 1. Missing out on it is a great disservice.

Dio

Banned
Narratively, playing Xillia 1 is really important. Xillia 1 does a lot of world building and character development that makes Xillia 2 a much richer experience. You get to see how characters have changed after they have grown, or not, and how they cope with the problems of the world and their place in it. It's a very interesting story that you appreciate for having played Xillia 1. Missing out on it is a great disservice.
All right, I suppose you've sold me.

If I wanted to buy it, is the Limited Edition still around on Amazon? Are all the orders going out still of that one?

Top Bottom