• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not super terrible but as a person who's done audio in videos and worked in a television studio, it's not... lol. Well. I definitely expected better.
That really blows. Wonder if they had time for proper mixing and decent production polish. Or if they had the money/cared for it in the first place.

That coupled with the slowdown and additional drops in the NA/EU version befuddles me because I thought that shouldn't have happened.

But even Aeana and Kagari and I are playing it... T_T
Aeana's been telling me to finish SMT4 already. That's what I'm gonna do. >:O

(It's the better game anywaaaaay.)

do people really swap around characters much?

It has gotten easier in recent games though, and it keeps the grind less tedious.
I certainly did. It was something I did almost all the time in-battle because sometimes I needed healer, sometimes I needed to end fights quicker, sometimes I wanted to do link combos with certain people, etc. I changed characters I manually controlled all the time too.

It's honestly for me to keep a consistent link chain going.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
do people really swap around characters much?

It has gotten easier in recent games though, and it keeps the grind less tedious.

I do swap around in both playing and who's in my party moreso in this game than any other Tales game, I used Jude, Milla, Alvin, and Rowen quite a bit.

Do you even remember what playing a good game feels like?

She hasn't played a good game for a decade so I'm pretty sure she's forgotten. =D lolololol.

FSLink

Banned
Wait. What. That is not how I interpreted that.... =/
Jude-I mean kayos: Teach Me About Catching?

Just got Rowen in my party this morning. Also definitely beat the Bacura enemy in the forest by setting everyone to Manual and just attacking it with Jude and teleporting to avoid the spinning block attack. Yay for more EXP!

Also lol@the party calling Jude's ability creepy.

I'll begin playing SMT4 again while I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks. :p

Uhhhhhhhhhh.

Schala's Cousin: "So, you finished Time & Eternity? I'm sorry about pawning the game off on you. Here, I got you Tales of Xillia. You like Tales, right? I heard this one was really good."

Ahahahahahaha... ha... ha... So now I have a copy of it. But SMT4 takes priority. :V

Congrats! Now you can triple plat this game!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Ended up stopping by Gamestop and got the last sealed LE because I really wanted to make sure I got the LE. I don't even like this one that much. Damn my LE obsession :<

all the ladies here know about catching while kayos doesn't.

Sounds like a sitcom storyline.

gahhh typical tales... too many moves, too little button command slots. :X

kayos90

Quadruple! Because of the EU version too.

I've only gone through this game once and I'm already tired of the fields...but I'm playing on Hard so I kinda have to spend some time there to grind.

HA! What? I've gone through these fields like... 7 times already.

Stuart444

Soo... I saw this on FB:

iEVD8kIRYT9Qs.jpg

Spot the error!

Reveirg

Yep.. as someone who worked for a large pro audio company for 8 years.. the voice work in this game is poor.. and very questionable in this area. I can only imagine how many people in the audio industry that can't find good work that could easily outproduce this voice work. I am referring to the audio quality.

Yeah I totally agree.

This game isn't the first offender though, even this gen. Catherine was especially bad.

kayos90

what does that even mean :X

is this a quest?

i haven't really been keeping up with mat. i just donate w/e when i see 3x

If you open up bags and chests throughout the areas you'll run into black feathers. You collect these and you can use them to buy stuff from a special vendor in sharilton. If you have 100 you unlock the Artes Ball which doubles your arte slots.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do you even remember what playing a good game feels like?
Winnie the Pooh Baseball Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was my GOTY runner this year. I finished Soul Hackers 3DS today. That was good.

Um. There are good games I've played this year. I played the Munchables, Asura's Wrath, Time Travelers, and all those Mega Man games I ended up marathoning through! Yep.

all the ladies here know about catching while kayos doesn't.

Sounds like a sitcom storyline.

gahhh typical tales... too many moves, too little button command slots. :X
You need to get 100 feathers to give to the dude in Sharilton in order to get the Artes ball. Then you can assign a ton of artes around.

The normal ones with arte button, arte button +up, arte button+down, arte button+l/r
The R stick ones (left, right, up, down)
And the ones where you hold down L1 and the regular artes buttons.

In total you can equip 16 artes.

Additionally, because I know someone asked, Milla's spells work fine on shortcuts. Make sure you're holding X along with the L-stick or L1 depending on the shortcut.

Also, kayos is young. He'll learn.

Congrats! Now you can triple plat this game!
Nah.

kayos90

Additionally, because I know someone asked, Milla's spells work fine on shortcuts. Make sure you're holding X along with the L-stick or L1 depending on the shortcut.

You sure about this? I tried and I couldn't get it to work. Hm.

I'm not young!

FSLink

Banned

I thought that only worked in Xillia 2? Could never get it to work on right stick anyway in X1.

And lol I think I'm younger than kayos and I still got it. (90 refers to the birth year right kayos? I'm a '91 baby.)

Stream starting, this time with correct sound (Millia playthrough)
http://www.twitch.tv/leatherhat1

Sorry I couldn't respond to your PM in time but it seems like you figured it out!
I'd watch but have stuff to do. Milla's battle themes are so good.

I thought that only worked in Xillia 2? Could never get it to work on right stick anyway in X1.

And lol I think I'm younger than kayos and I still got it. (90 refers to the birth year right kayos? I'm a '91 baby.)

Sorry I couldn't respond to your PM in time but it seems like you figured it out!
I'd watch but have stuff to do. Milla's battle systems are so good.

Oh thats fine I had to actually go through xsplit support to get it all sorted

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah, that's right. That really does only work in Xillia 2.

Goes to show how long I've been playing that silly game, eh? So yeah, Milla's spells won't work on shortcuts in Xillia 1.

They do in Xillia 2. Derp. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm not young!
You're younger than I am. So you're young.

wonder if ps4 tales games will look like your average ps3 game lol (this game doesn't really look that much better than graces f which is a wii port).

ehh, probably will look like current games at hopefully 60 fps for world stuff.

Maybe finally update the world running animations to not look like ps2 level stuff :D

Eusis

wonder if ps4 tales games will look like your average ps3 game lol (this game doesn't really look that much better than graces f which is a wii port).

Maybe finally update the world running animations to not look like ps2 level stuff :D
I think they'll just have nicer textures maybe. They honestly don't really need to push much further with Tales games due to the style, though there's always room for improvement.

MechaX

Man, when in the world is that Dhaos costume coming out? Milla's default outfit looks almost as bad as FFXIII-2 Serah's stripper gear and the Stahn outfit looks weird on her.

kayos90

Man, when in the world is that Dhaos costume coming out? Milla's default outfit looks almost as bad as FFXIII-2 Serah's stripper gear and the Stahn outfit looks weird on her.

I used the swimsuit until the school one came out.

You're younger than I am. So you're young.

Not by much.

You are over a decade younger than me.

Doesn't mean I'm necessarily young. I will acknowledge that I'm rather naive and innocent compared to most my age.

K.Sabot

That one farm area outside Hillam disturbed me for a second because it looked like a complete copypasta of an area from Graces, but from a different angle.

i don't mind her default outfit. its a bit creepy with all the sexual innuendos thrown around though.

what does the preorder dlc hair for her do? Seems about the same.

Yeah the game is really fun so far, but it looks like a HD PS2 game. Vesperia looked like a next Gen game, which I believe the cel-shaded style helped.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does Xillia 2 reuse all the same areas from the first game like WKC 2?
Most, and it's exhausting. In order to actually fast-travel to some places after chapters finish, you have to go through the areas to get access to the fast-travel option for the location. It's actually kind of irritating how they did that, tbh, because you've seen these areas a lot, especially if you played Xillia and (postgame spoilers, I guess)
did the EX dungeon

bryt

Did the Japanese version use O for normal attacks and X for artes? I can't remember. If that's the case it'll explain why I keep confusing the buttons.

Top Bottom