• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

denshuu

So I'm 10 hours in and still haven't figured out one thing about the battle system.

I have Jude and Milla paired up. Every now and then, the two of them will get a faint blue aura and do a combined attack. It seems to only happen on the neutral, left/right, and up X attacks. It's not an arte or a link arte or anything like that, it literally only happens when I'm doing a normal combo. Is that some kind of 'team critical' happening? As far as I can tell, it's happening randomly and not because of anything I'm accidentally doing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
All right, I suppose you've sold me.

If I wanted to buy it, is the Limited Edition still around on Amazon? Are all the orders going out still of that one?

All the first print are going to come with some sort of bonus. Not sure if your friends told you also but the second game is sort of gimped with certain gameplay aspects.

Eusis

Well, a friend of mine who's fluent in Japanese so he played it ages ago, and a friend of mine who's the Big Shit when it comes to videogames (and that one shares a hell of a lot in common with me, so I trust his opinion when it comes to dropping 60 bucks on a videogame). I know both of them in real life, but this is just getting into blogging.

Maybe my expectations are too high since I filter a lot of what I play through various means.
Honestly, with how often you're posting in here you may as well just give in and buy the game, it kind of seems like this is a case where you're trying to convince yourself NOT to get it, but this isn't like saying to skip a rough first game for a way better second game, it's more like skipping a solid first game for an improved second game that ALSO is heavily connected narratively and thus is undermined by not playing the first game, well, first. I saw similar happen with someone suggesting Digital Devil Saga 2 over Digital Devil Saga 1 due to story (arguably) being stronger in 2, and that just makes no god damn sense to me when it's literally the first half of the story. Admittedly this probably isn't as extreme story-wise, but still.

So I'm 10 hours in and still haven't figured out one thing about the battle system.

I have Jude and Milla paired up. Every now and then, the two of them will get a faint blue aura and do a combined attack. It seems to only happen on the neutral, left/right, and up X attacks. It's not an arte or a link arte or anything like that, it literally only happens when I'm doing a normal combo. Is that some kind of 'team critical' happening? As far as I can tell, it's happening randomly and not because of anything I'm accidentally doing.

Yeah, it's just a team combo and usually happens after so many normal attacks though not exactly sure what causes it.

Some of them help with getting your partner's assist skill started like Leia's will knock them down so she can steal and Elize's will knock them up so she can drain.

Dio

Banned
Honestly, with how often you're posting in here you may as well just give in and buy the game, it kind of seems like this is a case where you're trying to convince yourself NOT to get it, but this isn't like saying to skip a rough first game for a way better second game, it's more like skipping a solid first game for an improved second game that ALSO is heavily connected narratively and thus is undermined by not playing the first game, well, first. I saw similar happen with someone suggesting Digital Devil Saga 2 over Digital Devil Saga 1 due to story (arguably) being stronger in 2, and that just makes no god damn sense to me when it's literally the first half of the story. Admittedly this probably isn't as extreme story-wise, but still.

I guess I was really excited to play a new Tales after Vesperia and Graces F, and since those are both really, really good in their own ways (and I adored the combat system in Graces F so much after the midway point) that to hear Xillia regressed on some things was a bit of a downer. Well, I hang out with elitists so I'm sure they'll be unhappy to hear that I caved in and got it.

Then again, I bought Mass Effect 3 on 360 and imported my PC save file from 1 and 2 for the sole purpose of playing coop with some of my other friends. It's probably the most plebeian thing I've ever done outside of marathonning several Halo games in a row at a friend's dorm room.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, I can definitely tell it has some audio quality issues, cause I'm playing with headphones. Much easier to hear. Woot, finally got Rowen in the party. Whats the easiest way to expand shops? I've just been using nothing but materials. My weapon and armor shop is around level 15.

kayos90

Pimp Master Rowen?

https://twitter.com/Elympios/status/365234405960192000

I guess I was really excited to play a new Tales after Vesperia and Graces F, and since those are both really, really good in their own ways (and I adored the combat system in Graces F so much after the midway point) that to hear Xillia regressed on some things was a bit of a downer. Well, I hang out with elitists so I'm sure they'll be unhappy to hear that I caved in and got it.

Then again, I bought Mass Effect 3 on 360 and imported my PC save file from 1 and 2 for the sole purpose of playing coop with some of my other friends. It's probably the most plebeian thing I've ever done outside of marathonning several Halo games in a row at a friend's dorm room.

While I don't consider myself an elitist I am super critical when it comes to reviewing games and stuff. I highly highly recommend playing through Xillia 1 if you have the intention of playing through Xillia 2.

Yeah, I can definitely tell it has some audio quality issues, cause I'm playing with headphones. Much easier to hear. Woot, finally got Rowen in the party. Whats the easiest way to expand shops? I've just been using nothing but materials. My weapon and armor shop is around level 15.

Pretty much just dump materials whenever a x3 multiplier appears.

Rowen always had shades when I was playing.

Eusis

I'd say you shouldn't focus on the "what will my friends?" think aspect too much, but honestly this seems like the kind of thing that, at worst, everyone buys and plays only to trash anyway, so why the fuck not?

Still, if you feel like being secretive for whatever reason Sony DID enable hiding trophies. Do that, stay offline while you play, and just hope they don't discover Neogaf and connect the dots.

Dio

Banned
Still, if you feel like being secretive for whatever reason Sony DID enable hiding trophies. Do that, stay offline while you play, and just hope they don't discover Neogaf and connect the dots.

I'm exaggerating, I seriously doubt people ever look at my fucking trophies. If they did, they'd see some pretty dumb stuff in there. It may have sounded like handwringing on my part, but most of it is just in my head.

kewlmyc

Man, I can't figure out how to combo decently in this game, especially with my link partner. The AP limiter doesn't help either. I notice that occasionally your partner calls out your name to do some sort of combo add-on, but I always screw up the timing. Hell, I don't even though which button to press to do the add-on. Anyone have any tips for comboing in this game? For instance, how to get your AP back during middle of a combo.

Holmes

I can't seem to get the timing right for Jude's backstep + warp. I know that once I figure out the timing, I'll be better at it, but damn.

So I picked up the game and am about an hour in. I am not really versed in the tales combat system so I had a question about semi vs auto control. Whats the difference and is there an option that I should be choosing? Is it fine if I control jude the whole time or will I need to switch between characters later on? Other than that I really like how the game is going. Random arm motions and that crazy girl in the red are pretty funny to see though lol

Eusis

So I picked up the game and am about an hour in. I am not really versed in the tales combat system so I had a question about semi vs auto control. Whats the difference and is there an option that I should be choosing? Is it fine if I control jude the whole time or will I need to switch between characters later on? Other than that I really like how the game is going. Random arm motions and that crazy girl in the red are pretty funny to see though lol
Auto = full AI control, basically like your teammates if you're not playing co-op.

Semi-auto = some control, if you attack you'll run in the direction of the enemy rather than swing at open area, jumps are automated, some blocking is done automatically. In older Tales games you even automatically ran away from the enemy after an attack, but I don't think that's been in any (US released) games from Symphonia onwards.

Manual = full control, if you press the button to attack you'll attack regardless of proximity to the enemy, you'll jump if you press Up, and targeting matters more to be on the same plan as an enemy than who to attack when you press attack, you didn't even need to deal with targeting crap much in fully 2D entries like Tales of Destiny or Tales of Eternia.

And you can probably play JUST as Jude without issues, at worst in Symphonia at least a few characters would be dumb and get in the line of fire and be easily hurt over and over, but that's half due to bad boss design and half because of a lack of free run. I think they just kept running into the problem zones even if you tried to move them out though, so it was kind of futile to try to control anyway.

chrono01

So I found a "Miss-able" guide online that supposedly details all of the miss-able side-quests in Tales of Xillia. I'm not sure if it's been posted here or not yet, but just in-case, I figured I'd mention it.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8upha79f816ho16/Xillia_Missables.odt

I haven't started playing the game yet, so I can't say how accurate it is. I will finally be starting Tales of Xillia tonight, though, so here's hoping!

**There shouldn't be too many spoilers [if any at all] in the guide since it's very basic in telling you where to go and who to talk to. But, as always, view at your own discretion if you fear spoilers of any nature**

Negator

I popped Xillia in and suddenly 8 hours had passed! How in the hell did that happen?

Leia is top tier. Heals everyone and pairs up to deliver serious beatdowns.

Aeana

Found Laura Bailey.

I'm starting to think JYB is hidden in here somewhere and people just aren't telling me so they can revel in the schadenfreude.

How long until the story gets moving? I'm about 5 and a half hours in and it hasn't really moved at all from the start of the game...
Just took Elly through the woods and beat up\ran from the creeper holding her

MilkBeard

It's interesting. I can see why people say the graphics are a mixed bag. On one hand, you have stiff animations, and certain fields/towns look really barren, like early gen graphics. On the other hand, you have places like Kijara Seafalls, which is nearly breathtaking (to me). Sometimes waiting too long to release a game in certain regions will have detrimental effects. However, The artstyle is still very nice.

FSLink

Banned
Found Laura Bailey.

I'm starting to think JYB is hidden in here somewhere and people just aren't telling me so they can revel in the schadenfreude.

Who does she voice?

And I'm sure they added a JYB voices the entire game Grade Shop option.

kayos90

I did not hear JYB at all throughout the game Aeana. Unless my hearing's gone bad you can rest assured.

FSLink

Banned
Who does Laura Bailey voice?

Man these boss fights are LOOOOOONNNNGGG on Hard. 10 minutes for the boss after you get Leia.
Can't recall which one that is...

Yeah, Hard mode bosses are ridiculous sometimes....I had a hard time against the forest boss since I didn't level too much.
Stupid Devil's Maw hitting everyone. Eventually got through it with better dodging and locking the boss down with Negative Gate.

Not a fond of the final boss on Hard either. That one's annoying if you're not prepared.

chrono01

So I'm not at all a "Tales of..." expert. The only one of the more modern games I've played was Tales of Vesperia [well, I did play Tales of Destiny way back on the PSX], and even that I didn't finish [due to my 360 dying halfway through].

Would Moderate be an okay difficulty setting for me? I've heard Normal is too easy and I'm a bit hesitant to jump straight to Hard. I've already decided to choose Manual as my battle setting since I feel having complete control over my character would be the better option.

Aeana

So I'm not at all a "Tales of..." expert. The only one of the more modern games I've played was Tales of Vesperia [well, I did play Tales of Destiny way back on the PSX], and even that I didn't finish [due to my 360 dying halfway through].

Would Moderate be an okay difficulty setting for me? I've heard Normal is too easy and I'm a bit hesitant to jump straight to Hard. I've already decided to choose Manual as my battle setting since I feel having complete control over my character would be the better option.
You could just experiment. You can change the difficulty level any time you want.

FSLink

Banned

Yes, do Moderate.

Bladenic

Can't recall which one that is...

Yeah, Hard mode bosses are ridiculous sometimes....I had a hard time against the forest boss since I didn't level too much.
Stupid Devil's Maw hitting everyone. Eventually got through it with better dodging and locking the boss down with Negative Gate.

Not a fond of the final boss on Hard either. That one's annoying if you're not prepared.

It's the
worm boss
. Whoever designed that motherfucker needs to never be let near Tales bosses again. It was like the damn boar from Graces.. Except it digs the entire battle.

FSLink

Banned
It's the
worm boss
. Whoever designed that motherfucker needs to never be let near Tales bosses again. It was like the damn boar from Graces.. Except it digs the entire battle.

Oh yeah that one. Haven't reached it in the English version quite yet, but I remember that boss being the first annoying boss of the game for me. Ugh.

KCs NOTOR1OUS

Neo Member
Not trying to read through the whole thread just yet, can somebody just let me know how to equip the pre-order bonus costumes, or when can I?

Just played through the tutorial on this, myself. My understanding is that it has to do with the gauge on the left side of the screen. Each time it fills to the point where it's at the limit for that "level" of the gauge, then you'll need to do one of those R2 team-attacks to push it up to the next. Rinse, repeat. Once the gauge is filled to the tippy-top, doing a team attack will push you both into a sort of overdrive mode where you temporarily have no limit on your combos or TP attacks.

Thoughts so far... (very early in the game)

- I like Alvin
- Jude is alright
- Milla's voice might grow on me, but so far it doesn't match her character
- Link Arte system is cool as hell, too bad it can work during 2P co-op
- Visuals don't seem as good as Vesperia's

Top Bottom