• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

FSLink

Banned
Just played through the tutorial on this, myself. My understanding is that it has to do with the gauge on the left side of the screen. Each time it fills to the point where it's at the limit for that "level" of the gauge, then you'll need to do one of those R2 team-attacks to push it up to the next. Rinse, repeat. Once the gauge is filled to the tippy-top, doing a team attack will push you both into a sort of overdrive mode where you temporarily have no limit on your combos or TP attacks.

That person isn't talking about those, they're talking about the unique team normal attacks (not an arte) that sometimes happen. Not sure what triggers it exactly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thoughts so far... (very early in the game)

- I like Alvin
- Jude is alright
- Milla's voice might grow on me, but so far it doesn't match her character
- Link Arte system is cool as hell, too bad it can work during 2P co-op
- Visuals don't seem as good as Vesperia's

It does when you think about it.

Rpgmonkey

So I'm 10 hours in and still haven't figured out one thing about the battle system.

I have Jude and Milla paired up. Every now and then, the two of them will get a faint blue aura and do a combined attack. It seems to only happen on the neutral, left/right, and up X attacks. It's not an arte or a link arte or anything like that, it literally only happens when I'm doing a normal combo. Is that some kind of 'team critical' happening? As far as I can tell, it's happening randomly and not because of anything I'm accidentally doing.

They're link assault things. Pairs of characters have them and you can use them to set up for artes or just keep repeating them over and over to shuffle around an enemy.

It eventually got kind of annoying to me because it sometimes threw off my planned series of attacks, but eh.

It's interesting. I can see why people say the graphics are a mixed bag. On one hand, you have stiff animations, and certain fields/towns look really barren, like early gen graphics. On the other hand, you have places like Kijara Seafalls, which is nearly breathtaking (to me). Sometimes waiting too long to release a game in certain regions will have detrimental effects. However, The artstyle is still very nice.

Yeah one moment something looks pretty great, the next something pretty bland and ugly pops up. Not a consistent level of quality in the graphics.

Auto = full AI control, basically like your teammates if you're not playing co-op.

Semi-auto = some control, if you attack you'll run in the direction of the enemy rather than swing at open area, jumps are automated, some blocking is done automatically. In older Tales games you even automatically ran away from the enemy after an attack, but I don't think that's been in any (US released) games from Symphonia onwards.

Manual = full control, if you press the button to attack you'll attack regardless of proximity to the enemy, you'll jump if you press Up, and targeting matters more to be on the same plan as an enemy than who to attack when you press attack, you didn't even need to deal with targeting crap much in fully 2D entries like Tales of Destiny or Tales of Eternia.

And you can probably play JUST as Jude without issues, at worst in Symphonia at least a few characters would be dumb and get in the line of fire and be easily hurt over and over, but that's half due to bad boss design and half because of a lack of free run. I think they just kept running into the problem zones even if you tried to move them out though, so it was kind of futile to try to control anyway.

thanks for the write up

Verelios

I'm not trying to start anything, and I'm really enjoying the game, of the four hours I've played so far. Saying that, I've noticed this in Graces and now Xillia.

Is there a problem with my audio or are the leads lisping? Not anyone else mind, but Asbel and Milla. Now, the only reason I'm bringing this up, is because by the end of Graces, Asbel's voice just became some sort of inner parody for me, and it would be annoying if the same thing occurs in Xillia.

Have no problems with anything else, except for the tiny font. Need more time with the battle system too.

I guess I got lucky and encountered a rare monster. At least I think it was rare because it appeared out of nowhere and when I beat it, all my party members raised up by 2 levels. At least that really helped me out.

I'm not trying to start anything, and I'm really enjoying the game, of the four hours I've played so far. Saying that, I've noticed this in Graces and now Xillia.

Is there a problem with my audio or are the leads lisping? Not anyone else mind, but Asbel and Milla. Now, the only reason I'm bringing this up, is because by the end of Graces, Asbel's voice just became some sort of inner parody for me, and it would be annoying if the same thing occurs in Xillia.

Have no problems with anything else, except for the tiny font. Need more time with the battle system too.

Something seems to be up with the sound quality of the voice clips.

You don't get that kind of mess with sharp sounds when you hear clips in other games. But it's really noticeable here.

Would pay money for a higher quality voice pack.

Aeana

The auto level prioritizes the stats a character is best at.

I quickly got tired of using the Orb, so I just used Auto and everything was fine.
It's fine because in the end you have to get most of the nodes anyway, first couple of middle ones aside. Since they move the required node's position around with each expansion, it just happens naturally. One of the reasons why I don't like the lilial orb system is that the choice is so illusory.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really dislike the overworld style in this game(graces used it too). Makes it seem really weird when you leave one area and are automatically in a town, feels like the world itself ends up more compartmentalized.

Still, liking it a lot overall for now.

TheContact

Thoughts so far... (very early in the game)

- I like Alvin
- Jude is alright
- Milla's voice might grow on me, but so far it doesn't match her character
- Link Arte system is cool as hell, too bad it can work during 2P co-op
- Visuals don't seem as good as Vesperia's

Im really early in too. Visuals aren't as good but I just got to a town called Hamil and it's really coloful, unlike the last town and dungeon

Bladenic

Finished Chapter 1 a bit earlier. New battle theme is good. Also Milla's voice is, IMO, really great now. Much more emotive, which as many said, was the point.

Question, did most of you JP version players focus on filling the whole Lillial orb at first or did you focus on expansion more? About what chapter did you unlock the mystic artes? I've been filling it all up before moving to the next expansion so far.

FSLink

Banned
Finished Chapter 1 a bit earlier. New battle theme is good. Also Milla's voice is, IMO, really great. Much more emotive, which as many said, was the point.

Question, did most of you JP version players focus on filling the whole Lillial orb at first or did you focus on expansion more? About what chapter did you unlock the mystic artes? I've been filling it all up before moving to the next expansion so far.

I unlocked the Mystic Artes right before the last third if I remember right. Got Alvin's first.

I focused on expansion + artes/skills.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I focused on filling everything up first or shooting for the skills I'd wanted because I'm weird like that. But if you want, you can focus on expansion. It's really up to you.

I typically got MAs in Chapter 1 because I used the area outside of Nia Kheria to get materials and get more GP. Others will likely get their MAs in Chapter 2 via regular progress. You unlock Hi-Ougis when you progress to the second level of the Lillium Orb at Node Level 2, typically. So if you want to get Hi-Ougis faster, just focus on expansion until you hit the second level of the Lilium Orb, Node Lv. 2.

Rhapsody

Banned
Finished Chapter 1 a bit earlier. New battle theme is good. Also Milla's voice is, IMO, really great now. Much more emotive, which as many said, was the point.

I played Hard Mode the whole way (besides the last boss). Most of the nodes I went towards first were nodes that helped me survive longer with stuff like Strength and Speed (or whatever that was) on the side for my main character. So I guess expansion.

I aimed for the skills/artes I wanted. Then the skill points. Then I would complete the whole level before moving onto the next level.

vall03

Just got to the point when I have all the playable characters together. I'm now having a hard time deciding who to main.

ahhh occam's razor. always get stuff mixed up :/

fuck, why does this quest need a napple... thats back in the other town!

Is there fast travel in this?

How long until the story really kicks in and there are some dungeons?
just got elly and beat her creeper up in the woods bout 5:30 in

Jiraiza

I went for all the artes. Gotta combo the hell out of things as soon as possible!

vall03

Go for Leia! Or Jude.

More RPGs need fast travel.

I'm actually trying to avoid using Jude. I know my playstyle is more suited to using fast characters in a Tales game, its just I don't want another Vesperia wherein the only character I know how to play is Yuri. I also changed this in Graces since I mostly played as Cheria or Pascal. My current choices right now are Milla, Leia, Alvin and Elize.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... what do you do with titles? can you equip them? can't find them in the menu.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

*cough* I mean, um, yeah, what PKrockin said. They give you grade now (or show you when you're going to earn a trophy). They're essentially repetitive tasks for you to do, as opposed to something quirky and helpful that every character can earn.

How long until the story really kicks in and there are some dungeons?
just got elly and beat her creeper up in the woods bout 5:30 in
The woods should've counted as a dungeon. But you're not far from one that you'd consider as a dungeon at all. Soon.

I'm actually trying to avoid using Jude. I know my playstyle is more suited to using fast characters in a Tales game, its just I don't want another Vesperia wherein the only character I know how to play is Yuri. I also changed this in Graces since I mostly played as Cheria or Pascal. My current choices right now are Milla, Leia, Alvin and Elize.

Don't worry all the other playable character in the xillia universe are broken in term of specs and habilities.
Once you charge stock with alvin , any ennemy defense is butter.
In fact you're already in the right mindset. Later you'll ask yourself : " what is the less broken method i can do to destroy that ennemy "

Ok I'm having problems with Jude's Soaring Vertex.

He'll charge and sometimes won't do anything.

Other times he'll charge and properly uppercut the enemy.

Other times he'll charge and uppercut the enemy then proceed to charge again doing nothing else. This ends up messing up my combo's half the time and the ability description doesn't mention anything about why this is happening.

It knocks down standing opponents every time, I have no clue why he keeps on charging again.

Cheska

Jude may just be my second favorite Tales male protagonist. He's no Yuri but he's coming pretty close.

Also (echo echo echo echo) and that whole skit made me chuckle!

Eusis

Jude may just be my second favorite Tales male protagonist. He's no Yuri but he's coming pretty close.
Heck, on the cover he looks like Yuri after getting a haircut. Granted that doesn't hold in game, though it would've been funny if they got Troy Baker's clone to voice him instead of Alvin.

Oh my god what the fuck was that thing?

So I was in the forest where
Elize
joins the party back tracking trying to figure out where to go when I saw randomly a floating square object, thinking the game was bugging out I initiated a battle with the square (which ran away from me) leading me to fight an enemy called a Bacura that had 10,000 health, was immune to everything, did about 200-300 damage a hit and I could do at max 20-30 per hit nor could I stun him. A lot of orange gels and life bottles later I beat him and got enough exp for the entire party to level twice.

First truly hard battle I fought, I don't even want to imagine how awful that thing is on a difficulty higher then hard.

Why are some artes (like Milla's Flame Ring) surrounded by a orange square border in the artes menu. How are they special?

It's just how the game classifies spells. I actually don't think they really mean anything since you can link any arte to any other arte.

Elize
joins the party back tracking trying to figure out where to go when I saw randomly a floating square object, thinking the game was bugging out I initiated a battle with the square (which ran away from me) leading me to fight an enemy called a Bacura that had 10,000 health, was immune to everything, did about 200-300 damage a hit and I could do at max 20-30 per hit nor could I stun him. A lot of orange gels and life bottles later I beat him and got enough exp for the entire party to level twice.

First truly hard battle I fought, I don't even want to imagine how awful that thing is on a difficulty higher then hard.

A Tales staple. Lots of HP, immune to everything, lots of rapid hits and gives out a bunch of exp. :]

Shouta

Elize

They're the metal slimes of the game.

Elize

And that was the less powerfull of the 4 types in this game.
Rare monster ..but every tales of that are in 3D have them.

Funny thing is , there will come a time where you'll seek them.

weird... should i be sleeping in all inns? just triggered some quest with katt o_O

You should be fine , if you sleep at a town inn AFTER your business is done in that town story-wise.( there is only one exception in that rule but you're far from it.)

And that was the less powerfull of the 4 types in this game.
Rare monster ..but every tales of that are in 3D have them.

Funny thing is , there will come a time where you'll seek them

Am I just being brain dead? I've played and beaten Symphonia/2, Graces F, Abyss, Innocence, and Vesperia why don't I remember these things >:[ ?

Eusis

You should be fine , if you sleep at a town inn AFTER your business is done in that town story-wise.( there is only one exception in that rule but you're far from it.)
Is there a problem with resting in inns before then, or is it just that I should rest at an inn afterwards to get some quests?

Bladenic

Well shit. I just over leveled a lot. Went into the mine outside Jude's hometown for a side quest (not the story one, but the other one). Started fighting some enemies and owned them playing as Rowen. He's amazing. Now I'm over leveled. I didn't want to do that because it takes some of the fun away, especially since I bet the enemies in the next few areas are gonna give paltry experience. But I still gotta fight them for materials :/

I've already unlocked the trophy for using Jude's Snap Pivot and Milla's Spirit Switch. Playing as Rowen now :D oh and I got the trophy for Bind. I guess if I want a lot of grade I'll have to do them all quite a bit more though.

Am I just being brain dead? I've played and beaten Symphonia/2, Graces F, Abyss, Innocence, and Vesperia why don't I remember these things >:[ ?

They were a rare monster in Symphonia. Super rare in the fact it only spawned on one island on the world map and no where else.

Top Bottom