• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Young Magus

I just beat
Agria
and I have to ask... WHO,IN THE BLUE HELL,THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO GIVE BOSSES THE ABILITY TO USE HEALING ITEMS?!?

Young Magus

I think you're supposed to link with Leia so you can steal her items.
Problem was that Leia was my controled character, so I tough it out and kept on.

Also just unlocked my first mystic art. It was Jude and I'm I correct in saying that it's the same as Anise and Stahns?

Played it for six and a half hours yesterday non-stop and I'm up to that town you first meet Rowen, impressions are good so far. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did with Graces F, decided to go with Jude first since everyone who has played the game says it's the best way to go.

EDIT: Oh and what's the deal with the jet black feathers btw?

Trike

How do you reset the shop expansion multiplier bonuses? I have heard time, story, and battles, but no one has a real answer.

aravuus

The anime intro song's beginning reminds of some other song from some other Japanese product and I really want to know what it is, but I just can't quite remember it lol. The dramatic sounding opening sounds fucking awesome, shame I'm not a fan of the singing.

I also love the slow, mysterious sounding song that usually plays when someone explains something.. Mysterious.

e: can't find the songs lmao

e: well this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zSURhrEKU is the other one anyway

the first 20 seconds are crazy good sounding, it's something I could hear being played when the night is at its darkest and everything is going to shit etc etc

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
My copy arrived today, I'm glad the EU version comes with a manual booklet instead of having it printed on the back of the boxart.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got Leia and she is surprisingly damn fun to use in battle. I really like how the characters play in this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just finished the main story. I really enjoyed it and am glad Xillia 2 is a thing because the game's world is well worth exploring even further. Nice to know I can now go back and do some of the side quests I missed the first time too.

aravuus

Just finished the main story. I really enjoyed it and am glad Xillia 2 is a thing because the game's world is well worth exploring even further. Nice to know I can now go back and do some of the side quests I missed the first time too.

I'm already immensely hyped up by Xillia 2 since unless Xillia does something very stupid with the story, it's very possible it'll turn out to be my overall favorite Tales of game. Even with the boring shops, Milla's lackluster voice editing, Teepo and the bullshit bosses.

So far Abyss has had probably the best plot, Vesperia the best characters and Graces the battle system. I have a good feeling Xillia will end up being number one in the story department, number two after Vesperia in characters and number two after Graces in battles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm already immensely hyped up by Xillia 2 since unless Xillia does something very stupid with the story, it's very possible it'll turn out to be my overall favorite Tales of game. Even with the boring shops, Milla's lackluster voice editing, Teepo and the bullshit bosses.

So far Abyss has had probably the best plot, Vesperia the best characters and Graces the battle system. I have a good feeling Xillia will end up being number one in the story department, number two after Vesperia in characters and number two after Graces in battles.

Looking back, Xillia's story definitely started out a bit slow but over all I really enjoyed it. Xillia 2's story is most definitely better though, at least in my opinion.

aravuus

Looking back, Xillia's story definitely started out a bit slow but over all I really enjoyed it. Xillia 2's story is most definitely better though, at least in my opinion.

That seems to be the general consensus. As well as Xillia 2 beating Xillia in.. Well, pretty much every way.

Which is why I'm so excited. Slightly off topic maybe, but has there been anything relatively accurate about X2's release date? I've seen "early 2014" somewhere which would be absolutely fantastic

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That seems to be the general consensus. As well as Xillia 2 beating Xillia in.. Well, pretty much every way.

Which is why I'm so excited. Slightly off topic maybe, but has there been anything relatively accurate about X2's release date? I've seen "early 2014" somewhere which would be absolutely fantastic

I haven't seen anything but I hope it's not another year wait... as in, I hope it's at least in the first half of the year.

Am I safe to sell off my old weapons or should I keep them ala Vesperia?

I haven't seen anything but I hope it's not another year wait... as in, I hope it's at least in the first half of the year.

Symphonia HD Collection seems to be coming early 2014 so likely it's after that, thus likely after June again =/
HsfoUgg.png

aravuus

A quick question: do artes level up and become stronger as you use them (like in Vesperia)?

Yeah, there was a few pages back something about how they generally get better. +3% crits at 200 uses, +5% power at 400 uses and so on, can't remember exactly. Still, whenever you see a new silver, or later gold, star next to the name, you know it has leveled up.

Zafir

Sigghhhh. CE is now stuck in the Parcelforce national hub. All I wanted to do was play it over the weekend where all my free time is. Namco Bandai EU says no. >,<

Ryne

Am I safe to sell off my old weapons or should I keep them ala Vesperia?
I just came here to ask that same question. Also, are materials only used to level up shops? I've been going crazy leveling up the shops with materials, but only now thinking of asking this question.

I just came here to ask that same question. Also, are materials only used to level up shops? I've been going crazy leveling up the shops with materials, but only now thinking of asking this question.

Only reason to keep old weapons is in case you need a weapon that doesn't have elemental properties or want one that does.

PKrockin

Hot damn this game is fun. Just beat the boss in Sapstrath Deepwood and it was a blast despite
all the calling for reinforcements. Really the only problem there is that on hard the minions take way too long to kill.
I don't even care about bosses breaking out of combos, they give me enough time to respond with my disgustingly overpowered snap pivot and continue beating their asses :p Not like in Vesperia where a boss just decides "okay, I'm going to combo you now and there's nothing you can do about it."

After burning through every healing item and struggling through a good half dozen close calls over 10 minutes I finally beat him.

Sell them except maybe elemental weapons to abuse weaknesses.

TheFatMan

How do you reset the shop expansion multiplier bonuses? I have heard time, story, and battles, but no one has a real answer.

From what I have seen they randomly reset as you play the game. As I go through each area they seem to be different every time I visit the stores. If you're asking how to instantly change them, my only guess would be a save and reload?

TheFatMan

I've had a few quests that needed a material for completion, and there are a few specific materials that are designed to be sold for large sums of money,
like the one you can buy for 50 Jet Black Feathers and sells for 10,000 gald.

But for the most part every material is wisely used to level up shops.

Bladenic

Just beat
Nachtigal.
Holy shit it was an epic fight. Loved it. The fact that he was weak to water and earth made it so fun and fast paced. I used Jude, Milla, Rowen, and Elize. Didn't even bother switching which means I forgot to Steal.

I keep forgetting to use exp food items, 4000 exp could have been 8000 :(

Oh well, awesome fight.

RPGCrazied

Just beat
Nachtigal.
Holy shit it was an epic fight. Loved it. The fact that he was weak to water and earth made it so fun and fast paced. I used Jude, Milla, Rowen, and Elize. Didn't even bother switching which means I forgot to Steal.

I keep forgetting to use exp food items, 4000 exp could have been 8000 :(

Oh well, awesome fight.

I just did that one. I kept wiping on the mystic arte, but used an all-divide. I guess I cheated. :p

How long are chapters 3 an 4?

Bladenic

Normal. Can you even interrupt it? The boss always seems to follow through and one shots everyone. When I used the divide only one or 2 would die.

Nope, just run away when he goes into over limit. He got Rowen once. His MA is pretty cool. Although I was on Hard.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just did that one. I kept wiping on the mystic arte, but used an all-divide. I guess I cheated. :p

How long are chapters 3 an 4?

Chapter 3 and 4 are short. I'd say about 5-6 hours each. Chapter 2 is about 8 hours and chapter 1 is about 10 hours roughly.

MilkBeard

Just beat the guy
with the giant hammer looking for Elize.
Really fun battle, first time I felt like I had to actually use strategy. Died once, then went back in with a +30% defense food item, and crushed him. Playing on Moderate.

I'm 12 hours in. Game is very enjoyable. The story and characters are starting to come together. Despite some of the flaws, I think Xillia is the JRPG I've been waiting for.

Aytrial

On my way to the mines to
heal Milla's crippled legs
. The story feels like it's at a point where things will begin to pick up after this gets resolved and I'm still having as much of a blast as I was yesterday.

ohlawd

hit like 13-15 hours and I got my first ever trophy. I'm like "lol almost forgot this game had trophies" so I went to check the trophy in question and it was "finished chapter 1"

You should be done chapter 1 in around 10 hours? lol I'm playing too slow then but I did leave the game running for an hour or two. I'm just chugging though; I absolutely hate the battle system and I don't have the balls to drop the difficulty down to Easy from default.

Oh well at least I have everyone now and dropping in/out character stuff in battle is coolsauce. I need to start using those food exp items; maybe then I can steamroll the game? :/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For the Shop Expansion, is it only worth doing when the modifier is X3?

Yeah, hoard that crap till then. If I have near or at 99 though, I would sell at 2x to around 70ish.

It appears that whatever that icon on the far right is, that never seems to go on any type of sale...

Aytrial

hit like 13-15 hours and I got my first ever trophy. I'm like "lol almost forgot this game had trophies" so I went to check the trophy in question and it was "finished chapter 1"

You should be done chapter 1 in around 10 hours? lol I'm playing too slow then but I did leave the game running for an hour or two. I'm just chugging though; I absolutely hate the battle system and I don't have the balls to drop the difficulty down to Easy from default.

Oh well at least I have everyone now and dropping in/out character stuff in battle is coolsauce. I need to start using those food exp items; maybe then I can steamroll the game? :/

Since I'm doing Milla's story, I've just been using her (I'm aware you could do the same in Jude's story), I got a trophy fairly early on for frequently using her spirit artes.

Top Bottom