• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He's super fun to use. I like that charge also changes some linked artes. And his MA is great. But I love Elemental Mastery too.

Yeah, he starts off a bit slow but once you level him up he's a really good character to use. I was really OP by the last boss though since I prioritized weapon shop upgrades.

I'm pretty far in the game, at least I believe, but I get to shoot Ivar in the face at some point, right? Just...kill him. Dead. I don't think Milla would care that much.

Just got started and 6 hours in non stop, i'm sooo hooked. I'm just worried about spending GP and if the web can be completely filled or do I need to optimize spending? Hope I didn't screw myself up for later.

Just got started and 6 hours in non stop, i'm sooo hooked. I'm just worried about spending GP and if the web can be completely filled or do I need to optimize spending? Hope I didn't screw myself up for later.

You will completely fill out the web once you reach maxed levels. You can prioritize getting something early but at the same time you don't really have to worry about it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Aaaaaah, here it is, the classic "It's nothing, don't worry about it." line.

Which means someone in the group is hiding some big information that, if they were told sooner, would save about 5 hours of gameplay and make things for the hero so much easier.

But instead, it will be revealed at the last moment under some dangerous and tense moment, probably by the villain.

Bladenic

The battle against
The Chimeriad sans Agria
was crazy. So chaotic. But really fun too. Though the fact that they were going into Overlimit like non stop and using MAs was annoying.

The past few hours have been like an extended boss rush, it's awesome.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There are no words to describe how much I love Milla. One of my favorite jRPG protags ever. She's hilarious.

Locke_211

I haven't played a "Tales" game but I could use an RPG at the moment. The last one I played was "Ni No Kuni", which I mostly loved. I see a couple of others are available on the PS3 in the UK too.

Would this be a good one to start with, or would anyone recommend an alternative first like "Tales of Graces"?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I haven't played a "Tales" game but I could use an RPG at the moment. The last one I played was "Ni No Kuni", which I mostly loved. I see a couple of others are available on the PS3 in the UK too.

Would this be a good one to start with, or would anyone recommend an alternative first like "Tales of Graces"?

Xillia is just fine to jump right into if you haven't played the others. I like it a lot more than Graces anyway.

cyrok

For those that havn't purchased Tales of Xillia and were interested in the Collector's Edition with the Milla Maxwell Statue, it's still available on Namco's website. I saw some people selling them for $150+ on Kijjiji and other online listings but I picked it up on their site for $126 canadian with shipping.

I figured i would just link it here for those that wanted to get it.

I'm getting mine on Monday through UPS.

Bladenic

The anime cutscenes in this game are so gorgeous. Please Production IG never again.

Anyway, just
beat Gaius
and saw the following cutscenes. I'm really enjoying the story. Way better than Graces.

Not sure if you're even supposed to beat that boss, but I did :D on Hard too. Having Leia and Elize on full time healing helps a ton.

Voror

Yeah, he starts off a bit slow but once you level him up he's a really good character to use. I was really OP by the last boss though since I prioritized weapon shop upgrades.

I've got to try him still. Tried Milla and I was having trouble getting a handle on her abilities. More practice probably.

How do Chain Artes work with the full gauge? Do I just have to press R2 or O to have it keep going? And for switching partners, what's the best way to time that? I can't seem to get the timing right.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've got to try him still. Tried Milla and I was having trouble getting a handle on her abilities. More practice probably.

How do Chain Artes work with the full gauge? Do I just have to press R2 or O to have it keep going? And for switching partners, what's the best way to time that? I can't seem to get the timing right.

Press circle + whatever direction arrow you have the link arte assigned to to keep it going. For those, I kept spamming the buttons after the first one activated.

And yeah, Milla is definitely a bit harder to play as. I used her in my Japanese playthrough which probably took away some of my enjoyment.

TEJ

I was planning on buying this game in a few days, either by retail or PSN if I can't find a physical copy.

I've heard that this game is 20 hours long. Pretty short, are the two main characters different enough story-wise so that it won't feel like a retread?

Einbroch

Banned
This game's bosses are SOOO close to being good. First time in a Tales game I've actually had to implement some form of strategy. The tells the bosses give telling you to get out of the way are fantastic, but the lack of a frame cancel (maybe you can with block, but I haven't really gotten it to work) really hinders it.

Still, like I said, first time in a Tales game that the bosses hit really hard and can kill you easily, but you can also avoid the damage fairly easily with quick reactions.

that ivar
solo boss fight

1v1 battle makes you realize how fucking long your stun duration is after getting hit. so fucking annoying that you are pretty much stuck in a combo as soon as any part hits.

forces you to play way to defensive for what'd i like out of a tales game :/

jiggle

At least he's not in your party and has minimal screen time.
That's true lol

This game's bosses are SOOO close to being good. First time in a Tales game I've actually had to implement some form of strategy. The tells the bosses give telling you to get out of the way are fantastic, but the lack of a frame cancel (maybe you can with block, but I haven't really gotten it to work) really hinders it.

Still, like I said, first time in a Tales game that the bosses hit really hard and can kill you easily, but you can also avoid the damage fairly easily with quick reactions.
if you can resist upgrading stores to lv100 super early on anyway
then the challenge completely disappears XD

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Press circle + whatever direction arrow you have the link arte assigned to to keep it going. For those, I kept spamming the buttons after the first one activated.

And yeah, Milla is definitely a bit harder to play as. I used her in my Japanese playthrough which probably took away some of my enjoyment.

Milla controls 10x better on xillia 2 thankfully

Eusis

Huh, so you keep most or all of Xillia's cast in Xillia 2, I thought it might've been further off and for awhile even suspected
prequel based on the main character's name when I searched Kresnick just in case that was a Tales series reference like Maxwell is.
Does the game continue from the levels Xillia 1 ended at, or is it reset back to 1?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ivar is a douche but atleast it's clearly intentional. I didn't feel like Graces was intentionally having me trek the world with the world's most annoying group of shitheads to ever exist. Or I don't think I was supposed to hate Collete in Symphonia nearly as much as I did. Like Kagari mentioned, atleast he isn't a party member.

that ivar
solo boss fight

1v1 battle makes you realize how fucking long your stun duration is after getting hit. so fucking annoying that you are pretty much stuck in a combo as soon as any part hits.

forces you to play way to defensive for what'd i like out of a tales game :/

I thought this was both cool and infuriating at the same time. Sooo much damage can be done to you in one cycle, but it felt good to get in a constant string of snap pivots to keep going behind him while constantly attacking. Super risky though.

FSLink

Banned
Huh, so you keep most or all of Xillia's cast in Xillia 2, I thought it might've been further off and for awhile even suspected
prequel based on the main character's name when I searched Kresnick just in case that was a Tales series reference like Maxwell is.
Does the game continue from the levels Xillia 1 ended at, or is it reset back to 1?
Resets to 1.

kayos90

Resets back to 1 and uses a traditional leveling system with a different growth system that is a lot better than Lilium Orb called Arrowsoul Orb.

Eusis

Huh, I was sort of hoping for a Trails in the Sky or Mass Effect 3 situation here, but I guess it's like ME1 to 2 in that they really didn't design the systems well for further expansion in sequels, especially since this was still said to have the 255 level cap. What the hell do you do there, make it go to 511? 1023? This isn't supposed to be like Disgaea with numbers, and sticking with the old cap AND retaining character progress would just leave you with a bunch of broken characters alongside your comparatively lame new ones.

kayos90

Huh, I was sort of hoping for a Trails in the Sky or Mass Effect 3 situation here, but I guess it's like ME1 to 2 in that they really didn't design the systems well for further expansion in sequels, especially since this was still said to have the 255 level cap. What the hell do you do there, make it go to 511? 1023? This isn't supposed to be like Disgaea with numbers...

Xillia 2 has a cap of 200. not 255.

Wow, I'm dumb. 25 hours in and I haven't even done 1 mystic arte. How do you do them?

You have to unlock the Arcane Arte in the Lilium Orb first.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Huh, I was sort of hoping for a Trails in the Sky or Mass Effect 3 situation here, but I guess it's like ME1 to 2 in that they really didn't design the systems well for further expansion in sequels, especially since this was still said to have the 255 level cap. What the hell do you do there, make it go to 511? 1023? This isn't supposed to be like Disgaea with numbers, and sticking with the old cap AND retaining character progress would just leave you with a bunch of broken characters alongside your comparatively lame new ones.

Xillia 2's MC is kind of over powered anyway so... it really doesn't matter much that they changed it, lol.

kayos90

Xillia 2's MC is kind of over powered anyway so... it really doesn't matter much that they changed it, lol.

Yup. He's the new Jude.

should I go with "auto-select" for the lilium orbs? I mean if it's still good to do so with every character.

Auto-level is still good as it does a good job of giving you what you need and stuff. However, if you want to customize and built your Orb the way you want then by all mean do your own thing.

Eusis

Xillia 2 has a cap of 200. not 255.
Ah, my bad. Not that it really changes the fact carrying characters over at that level WOULD be insane one way or the other.
Haha, figures. Admittedly for all my rambling it's not really something that mattered that much anyway, they just have to do whatever's best for the game balance given it IS a more gameplay centric JRPG series. Even if these seem to be the easiest Tales games yet.

Yuterald

7 hours in, at Sapstrath Deepwood, still rocking Hard mode. There's something oddly addicting about running from shining/sparkling item/bag to the next while slowly stalking huge enemies for preemptive strikes on these barren fields. I was enjoying the cast/story until Teepo and Elize got involved. My god, obligatory "I'm sorry" girl with weird creature partner. While not NEARLY offensive, can't say that I didn't think about Lymle from Star Ocean 4! =0

Also, have I been out of the loop with Tales games or have names/terms like Maxwell and Aifread not been used since Tales of Eternia? That was the last time I've seen/heard those words, hah! With that said, still enjoying this game more than Graces f despite its apparent "shortcomings" in the sub-system/progression/combat department.

kayos90

7 hours in, at Sapstrath Deepwood, still rocking Hard mode. There's something oddly addicting about running from shining/sparkling item/bag to the next while slowly stalking huge enemies for preemptive strikes on these barren fields. I was enjoying the cast/story until Teepo and Elize got involved. My god, obligatory "I'm sorry" girl with weird creature partner. While not NEARLY offensive, can't say that I didn't think about Lymle from Star Ocean 4! =0

Also, have I been out of the loop with Tales games or have names/terms like Maxwell and Aifread not been used since Tales of Eternia? That was the last time I've seen/heard those words, hah! With that said, still enjoying this game more than Graces f despite its apparent "shortcomings" in the sub-system/progression/combat department.

While I understand the initial impressions for elize, she is nothing like Lymle. First of all the former doesn't suck lol.

Bladenic

God I wish I could stop forgetting to use the +100% EXP food before boss fights :mad:

And dang Elize's exp rate is so much better than the rest of the party. She's level 49 while everyone else is 45-46

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was planning on buying this game in a few days, either by retail or PSN if I can't find a physical copy.

I've heard that this game is 20 hours long. Pretty short, are the two main characters different enough story-wise so that it won't feel like a retread?
30-40 hours.

Both characters go through the same bits with one chapter exception, so you'll be retreading ground incredibly often provided you go through the game with both characters.

TEJ

30-40 hours.

Both characters go through the same bits with one chapter exception, so you'll be retreading ground incredibly often provided you go through the game with both characters.

Hmmm, okay.

Also, how do you earn grade in this game? I hated the way Graces handled grade.

Hubb

You should be done chapter 1 in around 10 hours? lol I'm playing too slow then but I did leave the game running for an hour or two. I'm just chugging though; I absolutely hate the battle system and I don't have the balls to drop the difficulty down to Easy from default.

I've clocked in 15 (though left it on here and there) and haven't gotten the chapter 1 trophy yet. The only difference here is I really like the battle system. In most tales games I stick with only controlling the main character. This time around I've been changing constantly.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hmmm, okay.

Also, how do you earn grade in this game? I hated the way Graces handled grade.

Grade is handled like Achievements. In your menu there will be a list of the requirements for each one.
They'll be things like "steal items X times", "pick up X amount of items", "level up shops", etc.

They're all easy stuff.

kayos90

I'm surprised the final boss took you so long to beat.

I was not prepared and I also didn't take the cheap way out by using a certain ability lol. Granted mine is really out of the norm. They final boss should only take like 30 to 45 min

Top Bottom