• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

RPGCrazied

You can switch characters mid-battle in this game, even the ones on the reserves. :p
So I would suggest trying everyone, Jude is fun (and hilariously broken late game due to his speed), but the other characters are great to control too (Leia is pretty similar due to both having mechanics in she gets a range boost on her staff if she dodges correctly, while Jude teleports if he dodges correctly). L1+D Pad direction swaps control to another character, and then R3 can swap a party member with someone in reserve. It's a pretty great system.

I really like Elize's and Jude's link artes, they have some fun synergy. She can drain HP/TP from the enemy to help Jude go all out on the enemy. Teepo Enraged!

ARGH! I keep forgetting that, I knew someone told me that a blue moon ago. That is kinda cool. Kinda like FF X's system?

FSLink

Banned
I'm so excited for this game! I can't wait to play it with my brother.

By the way, how's the co-op in this game? I know that you can link with other character to do artes and stuff and that if you do you're basically controlling 2 characters, but if it's only two people playing we can link to different characters and it would be fine, right?

Yes, linking up to a different AI character makes it still work, but if you link up to each other, it'll make the secondary AI controlled. :/

ARGH! I keep forgetting that, I knew someone told me that a blue moon ago. That is kinda cool. Kinda like FF X's system?

Haven't played FFX so I'm not the best person to answer that.

v LOL

RPGCrazied

Do everyone gain XP, even if they aren't used in the current battle? Or do you have to use them in the battle to get XP?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
brb, finding a way to rip Ultro's tentacles off. This is not a flattering way to be remembered. >:O

Yeah, you don't have to bring people in for them to get XP, though. So go nuts with respect to who you wanna use. But everyone's actually useful, so swap away.

The lilial orb's more like Final Fantasy XIII's system where it gives you the illusion that you're making a choice when in actuality you're going to end up getting every single orb on the chart regardless. It's not class-based, though. You just pick the stats you want to level up at the time, or if you're like me, go around and look for the skills you want to get first and then select them.

I'd also like to enlighten people about a sweet grinding area outside the... third town of the game (I'm excluding ports because lol eff ports). Outside of Ni Akeria on the upper-right hand exit, it's more of an advanced area that you can use to level people up quickly if you wanted to. Enemies are naturally harder, but you can gain XP relatively quick, especially if you get the combo bonuses.

FSLink

Banned
Was it confirmed that the Xillia PS3 theme is the same as the Japanese version? If it's separate from the preorder DLC (I doubt it), I can give the theme away to one of the people here.

It's more like Final Fantasy XIII's system where it gives you the illusion that you're making a choice when in actuality you're going to end up getting every single orb on the chart regardless. It's not class-based, though. You just pick the stats you want to level up at the time, or if you're like me, go around and look for the skills you want to get first and then select them.
The question was about the swapping characters mid-battle and not the Lilium Orb system. :p

I'd also like to enlighten people about a sweet grinding area outside the... third town of the game (I'm excluding ports because lol eff ports). Outside of Ni Akeria on the upper-right hand exit, it's more of an advanced area that you can use to level people up quickly if you wanted to. Enemies are naturally harder, but you can gain XP relatively quick, especially if you get the combo bonuses.
I think I remember this place (I'm not familiar with town names), I believe I grinded for black feathers around here too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The question was about the swapping characters mid-battle and not the Lilium Orb system. :p
Ugh, shouldn't respond to posts before I get my bearings together. Apologies. But now you knowwwww. Hahaha.

But yeah, it's like FFX's swapping in and out, for sure. Everyone just gets XP anyway, and you don't have to just make them execute 1 action in battle for them to get XP like in FFX since they get XP anyway.

I'll help.
Actually, despite my dislike of FF4 and my dislike of Rosa in general, I kinda find it funny now.

Still. Ultros had better watch it. :mad:

Jiraiza

I second this. Literally outlevel half the game from there in NG too, lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I second this. Literally outlevel half the game from there in NG too, lol.
And if people don't really like doing it, just set it to easy until you become more and more accustomed to fighting the enemies. What you want are the combo bonuses. And then you can completely wreck the combo bonuses with Rowen and Milla later on, lol.

Looks really cool. How does the coop work?
Answered earlier in the thread:
4 player co-op in this game is rather gimped because of the linking system. Linking with a character automatically relieves the linked character's control from the player effectively making the game a two-player co-op game.

FSLink

Banned
Looks really cool. How does the coop work?

In addition to Schala's post above, if you never played a Tales game before, you change one of your party members to Manual or Semi-Auto using select in their artes menu (instead of Auto aka AI), and then the 2nd player will control the one in character slot 2, 3rd in 3, etc.

Young Magus

Just finished SMT IV so I'll have time for this game. Already preordered off of Amazon so all set Day 1. This will be my 5th tales game so I'm really looking forward to it! :D

solid mike

Saw this on the JP version OT.

toxtopiccostume.png

Any idea if they will make these available for download in the US PS store?

FSLink

Banned
Just finished SMT IV so I'll have time for this game. Already preordered off of Amazon so all set Day 1. This will be my 5th tales game so I'm really looking forward to it! :D

Sadly I haven't finished SMT4 yet (sidequests are so addicting!), but I'll make time for this for sure.

toxtopiccostume.png

The first two images are likely (school + swim), but the last one is the Idolm@ster set and we didn't get Graces' I believe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
is swimsuit titles unlocked through ingame or dlc?

only thing that matters really
DLC.

OH. You brought up titles. LOL. Titles basically give you grade now (they also denote when you get a trophy (ex: eat 800 times! use this skill 150 times!, etc). Titles do not affect whether or not you can equip the costume. Instead, costumes are now equipped in the armour menu (press the L-stick all the way down to access it when you select "Equipment" from the main menu). Here. This is the menu.

fViG1uf.png

You can equip accessories and hairpieces.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I equipped Elise with her palette swap instead. It looks better and gives more colour variety to the party (yes, this actually means something to me).

Flamfas

toxtopiccostume.png

If Graces is anything to go off, we'll probably be getting all DLC that isn't anime related (so for Xillia, I think that's Idolmaster and Star Driver?)

I'm also not so sure we'll get the Ayumi Hamasaki costume for Milla. It was a pre-order bonus for the Five LE, but if we get lucky they'll sell it to us?

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, I equipped Elise with her palette swap instead. It looks better and gives more colour variety to the party (yes, this actually means something to me).

Haha, Graces' party still wins in the color variety department for me. So colorful.

Yeah, I liked the palette swaps more than the original outfits.

Yup, even after the DLC began to come out for the Japan release, I used mostly the originals + palette swaps because I dislike the music change for the DLC costumes (fuck Irony of Fate).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm also not so sure we'll get the Ayumi Hamasaki costume for Milla. It was a pre-order bonus for the Five LE, but if we get lucky they'll sell it to us?
I really doubt it.

Yup, even after the DLC began to come out for the Japan release, I used mostly the originals + palette swaps because I dislike the music change for the DLC costumes (fuck Irony of Fate).
But but but how will Leon achieve character popularity dominance now? D:

All kinds of sadness.

My apologies, the truth is a harsh mistress.

I dream more about SMTIV and I enjoy playing the game but I appreciate how many of the systems work really well together in P4. Both games are good but I would say that the presentation and the designs in P4 are much more appealing to me than SMTIV. I have problems playing SMTIV purely because I don't want to be annoyed and instead babied.

One could logically assume you dream about SMTIV because it's new. P4 is a 5 year old game at this point. SMTIV has a litany of issues, it's music and wooden characters chief amongst them, but this probably isn't the thread for that. I think the most salient point is that in 5 years we'll probably still be talking about how glorious P4 is, 10 years removed from it's release. I don't think we can say the same about SMTIV. It's just not that memorable or unique of an experience. Still a solid game, make no mistake, just not a particularly noteworthy one.

Here's to hope for Tales of Xillia's greatness.

Eusis

SMT4 is shit because it reminds me at how shit my luck is.
I'm honestly surprised at how often I'd be in a boss battle and persevere since there was no soft resent... and win by taking advantage of some frequently unused skills that happened to be useful THIS TIME. Though I sometimes redid the battle anyway just to minimize losses, depending on the EXP gain anyway.

Anyways, still considering dumping the CE for the LE, but I'd like to see someone manage to get copies early or at least open the damn case on the CE's copy to see if the insides have decent sized color manuals or anything.

FSLink

Banned
Enthusiasm is great but I think a lot rides on this selling well for future localizations.

I thought so too but they already announced Xillia 2 and Symphonia Chronicles for US release. As long as it doesn't hilariously bomb, we should be fine. I think Namco just has modest expectations for this. Also being released in the summer and not being around another high profile RPG release should help its sales and help it gain a decent word of mouth.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It also makes me realize how crappy other JRPGs are in comparison. /slight exaggeration
I just love that it feels like a trip down memory lane with SMT1 and SMT2. (ღ˘‿˘ღ)

Also being released in the summer and not being around another high profile RPG release should help its sales and help it gain a decent word of mouth.
Yeah, I'm still surprised they didn't decide to release this alongside a Final Fantasy game this time. :p

I'm... strangely not as ENTHUSIASTIC hyped for this as I was for Graces. Most of the impressions I've read/seen of the JP version dampens my expectations a bit, especially in regards to the battle system. Still going to pick it up, but it feels weird not being excited for a localized Tales game.

I know the plot's supposedly better than the usual Tales fare, but I don't really play Tales games for the plot, so ehhhh

graces f killed all hype i have for this series forever.

won't lie, only reason i preordered this was because someone on gaf had an avatar of milla pouting and i thought it was adorable.

but this is the last time!

well maybe i want that symphonia collection... (for some reason i feel like that's gonna be a busted hd collection somehow).

Top Bottom