• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Stuart444

The debt system was annoying just because of
Nova
.... calling me up after every battle after I get one gald more than what I need to continue the story. Doesn't matter if I'm saving it up first, she'll just call me and be like "MONEY!" >_<

My single greatest annoyance of Xillia 2. Besides that, it's a fantastic game :D

Bladenic

The debt system was annoying just because of
Nova
.... calling me up after every battle after I get one gald more than what I need to continue the story. Doesn't matter if I'm saving it up first, she'll just call me and be like "MONEY!" >_<

My single greatest annoyance of Xillia 2. Besides that, it's a fantastic game :D

It doesn't help that she's a completely useless character in the plot outside of that. Stupid thirsty ho.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh so THAT'S how you get Grades in this one! I was wondering what the titles were for since I couldn't equip then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've had Echore for awhile from a sidequest and it is worth an insane amount during shop expansion, is there some other use for it or is it meant to be burnt on that? If so I'll wait for a x3 mineral one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would consider bad pacing design to be 4/5 you're doing sort of nothing and 1/5 there's a massive infodump. That'd be bad pacing design.
Not narrative. Game design and pacing, since there's a roadblock between chapters, when the darn thing/the sidequests/character chapters should've been as part of the chapter as opposed to a chapter separator.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Played two hours straight. Not bad at all. Very surprised. This is more in line with Vesperia which I loved.

Thorgal

Got my copy today !

Just got Elize in the Party after Hamlin

Also .I love the voice they gave Teepo.

And while i do like Mila's voice . she has a mean lisp sometimes.

Anyway . will continue tomorrow.

Kinda makes you wonder why japanese fans were so disappointed with it.

While the game is great .the downgrade content wise going from Vesperia (PS3) to Xillia Could be called a reason to be disappointed .especially when you considder that both are aniversary titles.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

They were?!? Why? Its definitely different and that's a good thing. I hated in Graces the "friends forever" bullshit and some of the "almost-moe" characters. Abyss was good but I got tired of the stiff cutscenes even though it was Symphonia's battle system and the story was definitely interesting.

Rpgmonkey

They were?!? Why? Its definitely different and that's a good thing. I hated in Graces the "friends forever" bullshit and some of the "almost-moe" characters. Abyss was good but I got tired of the stiff cutscenes even though it was Symphonia's battle system and the story was definitely interesting.

From a writing perspective it was decent, but as a game people had a number of issues with the level of polish, volume of content, and gameplay depth the game has (or rather, lacks).

Aeana

I've been pretty clear about what disappointed me about the game. Shop build replacing all interesting Tales systems, cooking being a one-use kind of thing, the barren fields, the identical ports, the lilial orb system being a total illusion of choice, the battle system - while being an improvement over Vesperia - still relying on TP, the relegation of grade to an achievement system, etc., etc. It's quite a bit more shallow all around than most of the other games in the series, too. Some of the characters are also much more annoying in Japanese (Elize).

The main rift here is that most western Tales fans seem to value story and characters above all else, while people like me don't really care either way. That's why Rebirth and Graces are my favorite Tales games, even though one of them has one of the worst stories in gaming, and the other isn't too far behind. They have the best combat and auxiliary systems, and are much more interesting to actually play.

That said, I don't hate Xillia by any means. I like it a lot better than many other Tales games, and I warmed up to it even more when I replayed it last year. There's just quite a lot to be desired. Fortunately, many things are fixed in Xillia 2, even if some of the more egregious things aren't.

Rhapsody

Banned
As an importer, I had a lot of fun with Xillia. I think it made Tales take a good step forward. The only issue was that it has some flaws and even omitted some of the usual Tales stuff. Besides that, I rank it decently high. I think others felt the same.
with how well these games seem to sell over there, why does it seem like each game is getting less and less budget?

I think it's been getting more. It's just they concentrated their efforts into certain areas this time and continue to rush through development.

Midou

I have to give Tales a general props for being a mostly uncompromising console JRPG series this gen. Between dumbed down FF and completely missing series like Suikoden and Wild Arms and far fewer unique SMT titles, and the flood of games from companies like Compile Hearts and Gust that I can't seem to enjoy, Tales is closest to what I used to love back in PS2 JRPG days.

There are of course still titles like Xenoblade and Lost Odyssey, but they are most certainly rare.

Perhaps my standards are lower this gen because of the state of JRPGs on consoles, but I am certainly enjoying Xillia a lot, even with the evident flaws.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
about 25 hours in on chapter 3

I like the battle system best of the series;liking how NB is getting rid of the usual mp formula that had to be replenish with gels

and Alvin is the best among the 6 characters!!! it makes me wonder why he wasn't the main character; he brings more to the story than Jude(so far) specially when your hear about his back-story and the parts he plays to pull the story forward

kewlmyc

Iolite Ore I believe. Sells for 10k.

Really? I've been spending it on those super elixirs. I feel stupid now.

I just got to the part where you find out about
Elize's past
. That really sucks. Feel bad for her. It was surprisingly dark and depressing, especially after playing Graces.

Ydahs

So I'm an hour in and I just
left the sewers in search for the professor.

Story's beginning to pick up and I'm finding the characters interesting, but one thing that disappointed me so far is that everything is... brown. I mean, Tales games are normally vibrant from the outset, but I just didn't like the look of the city at all. Of course, that's bound to change as I progress in the game but it hasn't been a good first impression in that regard for me.

It also feels like everything is... blurry? At first I thought it might have been due to my projector, so I re-calibrated it but the image still lacked clarity. I guess they're using a cheap form of AA?

Gonna spend a couple more hours with it tonight, but first impressions are positive. What makes a Tales game for me is the battle system so I'll only be able to judge the game properly once I get more exposed to what it has to offer in that regard.

Isaccard

I've been pretty clear about what disappointed me about the game. Shop build replacing all interesting Tales systems, cooking being a one-use kind of thing, the barren fields, the identical ports, the lilial orb system being a total illusion of choice, the battle system - while being an improvement over Vesperia - still relying on TP, the relegation of grade to an achievement system, etc., etc. It's quite a bit more shallow all around than most of the other games in the series, too. Some of the characters are also much more annoying in Japanese (Elize).

The main rift here is that most western Tales fans seem to value story and characters above all else, while people like me don't really care either way. That's why Rebirth and Graces are my favorite Tales games, even though one of them has one of the worst stories in gaming, and the other isn't too far behind. They have the best combat and auxiliary systems, and are much more interesting to actually play.

That said, I don't hate Xillia by any means. I like it a lot better than many other Tales games, and I warmed up to it even more when I replayed it last year. There's just quite a lot to be desired. Fortunately, many things are fixed in Xillia 2, even if some of the more egregious things aren't.

I value story and characters definitely a alot more than the auxiliary systems found in other Tales game, but through out each Tales of I've played, I've always found their combat systems equally enjoyable. Graces is one of my favorites too despite the less notable story (I liked Graces cast however). I really hope Xillia 2 adds even more to the table that Xillia has already delivered on for me so far.

chrono01

So I'm an hour in and I just
left the sewers in search for the professor.

Story's beginning to pick up and I'm finding the characters interesting, but one thing that disappointed me so far is that everything is... brown. I mean, Tales games are normally vibrant from the outset, but I just didn't like the look of the city at all. Of course, that's bound to change as I progress in the game but it hasn't been a good first impression in that regard for me.

It also feels like everything is... blurry? At first I thought it might have been due to my projector, so I re-calibrated it but the image still lacked clarity. I guess they're using a cheap form of AA?

Gonna spend a couple more hours with it tonight, but first impressions are positive. What makes a Tales game for me is the battle system so I'll only be able to judge the game properly once I get more exposed to what it has to offer in that regard.
Don't worry, you get a lot more color once you *early spoilers*
leave Fennmont. It's perpetually dark there because of the Spirit Clime, remember? :)

As for the graphics, I didn't notice that they were blurry, but maybe it doesn't bother everyone. I found that it looked pretty great, although I feel that Tales of Vesperia had more of an "impact". Perhaps it was because of the art-style? I do love the Ufotable anime cut-scenes, though. I've only gotten 1-2 early on, but apparently there's a lot more in the later half of the game. I look forward to it!

I do miss a World Map, though. I always enjoy exploring those. :(

Sagitario

How are you guys liking the localization so far?

I have to wait ~3 weeks for my copy to arrive (and I will probably end up playing Pikmin 3 first).

chrono01

I have to wait ~3 weeks for my copy to arrive (and I will probably end up playing Pikmin 3 first).
I'm really enjoying it.

As was already mentioned a million times, Alvin is amazing. I'm also liking Jude more than I thought I would. He's not the typical "whiny" male protagonist [he's a lot like Yuri in that sense], with a lot of brain as well as brawn. Also, he's a martial artist, which is pretty rare for a JRPG.

The skits are incredible. Definitely try to listen to those as much as you can.

Alucrid

Banned
this game is pretty great so far. day 1 costumes are saving me though...

are there still boss fight challenges like tov?

titles that change costumes?

Soooooo much better than Graces. The characters are all awesome. Especially Alvin, as many others have stated before. But I have to say my favorite character so far is Gaius.

He looks like your typical fantasy anime asshole, but in reality he's just a guy who wants to help his people at heart. He's not driven by prejudice, or greed, or a lust for power, he just wants to be a noble king. He believes that obtaining a massive amount of power will help him keep his people safe, but he's unaware of what would happen in the long run because of that.

I'm currently at the point where they have an uneasy alliance going on with him while fighting Exodus on the ship.
I'm really interested to see his character develop further.

Bladenic

Finished Chapter 3. I guess I'm near the end but the titles seem to show a lot of bosses left still. I don't want it to be over :(

At this rate I'll beat the game by Monday. Hope the school costumes are up on Tuesday, I NEED to fight battles to dat amazing school battle theme. Oh well I'll be able to use them on my 2nd playthrough and Xillia 2.

Cheska

So is there a general agreement of what combination of a team makes this game a cake walk?

I'm currently repping Jude, Milla, Rowen and Elize and I feel like I'm mowing everything down.

that earthworm boss....

seriously whats with bosses in this game just hard to freaking hit?

beat him on first try though! Almost completely out of life bottles though lol.

Iceblade

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but good lord I can't stand Milla's voice actor. And the terrible audio compression only exacerbates the problem. :/

Bladenic

So is there a general agreement of what combination of a team makes this game a cake walk?

I'm currently repping Jude, Milla, Rowen and Elize and I feel like I'm mowing everything down.

Any combo is good. I'd say the least viable is Leia, but I use her and Elize together in my party for tough bosses since with the two of them it's impossible to die haha. Otherwise I use everyone. My favorite combination is Jude, Milla, Elize, and either Rowen or Alvin. Rowen is great for crowd control. Or sub Alvin for Milla and have Jude/Alvin/Rowen/Elize. But again they're all good.

Only thing is that Jude and Milla have a shit ton of link artes, while everyone else is kind of lacking...

FSLink

Banned
that...that makes me sad.

This would be yet another reason why importers were disappointed with the game, even if we enjoyed it. :p

Best team: Jude/Milla/Elize/Leia for me imo.

Alvin for random encounters or when bosses are blocking too much (switch him in and link fast and have him break their guard), and Rowen is decent too.

v As long as you didn't buy the Leon costume. Fuck Irony of Fate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finished Chapter 3. I guess I'm near the end but the titles seem to show a lot of bosses left still. I don't want it to be over :(

At this rate I'll beat the game by Monday. Hope the school costumes are up on Tuesday, I NEED to fight battles to dat amazing school battle theme. Oh well I'll be able to use them on my 2nd playthrough and Xillia 2.

You're not near the end... yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I said I would never buy costumes. I bought two. T_T
Part of the problem.

Jude/Milla/Leia/Elise, since for some bosses, you need Leia to steal their gummies so they don't heal themselves.

Aeana covered the reasons why I didn't like Xillia much as well. I've said what I've had to say in many different threads on GAF for the past two years, so my opinion about the game is certainly out there.

you know whats great about this game vs others of the series?

I don't think ive encountered many instances where

...!

You look like something is on your mind.

... oh nothing.

yami4ct

Went to the local Best Buy today and grabbed this. Last copy they had. Just over 2 hours in right now and really enjoying it. Linking system is a great twist on the battle system I really enjoyed from Graces F (my first Tales). Story seems good. A little cliche, but at least way better than Graces. Voice acting is a bit iffy in spots, but tolerable. Probably won't make very quick progress because there's so much else for me to play right now, but certainly glad I picked it up. It's definitely near the top of my must finish list.

Bladenic

Part of the problem.

Jude/Milla/Leia/Elise, since for some bosses, you need Leia to steal their gummies so they don't heal themselves.

Aeana covered the reasons why I didn't like Xillia much as well. I've said what I've had to say in many different threads on GAF for the past two years, so my opinion about the game is certainly out there.

Yeah, but I get stealing done at the beginning of fights then switch her out. She really has nothing going for her that the other characters don't do better.

Top Bottom