• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How long is chapter 4?

And when should I take care of all the sidequests and the extra dungeon?

Chapter 4 is lengthy depending on what you do. The game gives you a chance before the final dungeon to finish any quests you need as well, so that is generally the best time to do those tasks.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, but I get stealing done at the beginning of fights then switch her out. She really has nothing going for her that the other characters don't do better.

I think Leia's not strong of a character control, but she's a really good supporting character. Being another great healer really helps. Plus one of her attacks inflicts the burn status iirc, which is great for bosses.

I didn't like using Rowen or Alvin when I didn't control them. The AI didn't offer much for me.

Edit: I guess she didn't excel at one point over others, but she's well rounded. So she was a good 4th for me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is the first Tales of where you can actually SEE which side quest you have.

Speaking of, any missable?

FSLink

Banned
I think Leia's not strong of a character control, but she's a really good supporting character. Being another great healer really helps. Plus one of her attacks inflicts the burn status iirc, which is great for bosses.

I didn't like using Rowen or Alvin when I didn't control them. The AI didn't offer much for me.

Edit: I guess she didn't excel at one point over others, but she's well rounded. So she was a good 4th for me.

That + double heal with Elize + status buffs made her on my team for most of the game. I only switched in Rowen and Alvin occasionally. I use her tons in Xillia 2 as well. She's also my favorite character so that's mostly my reason for her staying on my team, it just so happens that she's very useful too. :p

inner-G

Banned
I'm only an hour or two into the game, but I'm really impressed so far!

I got lost/didn't know where to go a couple times but I'm probably just missing something.

I didn't see an arrow/target on the map, and the directional hint you get from R1 wasn't always useful. Sometimes it seemed that the R1 arrow icon was pointing the totally wrong direction even?

Reveirg

Chapter 4 is lengthy depending on what you do. The game gives you a chance before the final dungeon to finish any quests you need as well, so that is generally the best time to do those tasks.

Thanks!! Is the extra dungeon only available during the 2nd playthrough?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I assume most of that levelling was done in the Sogd Wetlands or whatever they're called in English now? Edit: Yeeeeeeep.

Is that +5/+10 level pack DLC out on PSN yet for people to take advantage of?

FSLink

Banned
The swamp area near the beginning of the game. I just used beef bowls and you gain like a level every battle or two. The rate begins to drastically slow down late 30's though. I think I grinded maybe 2 hours, but part of it was just getting materials for shops.

That explains it. Beef Bowls are awesome (both in-game and real life, haha, heading back home to Vegas next week so maybe I'll pass by Yoshinoya or something. :v)

Thanks!! Is the extra dungeon only available during the 2nd playthrough?

Nope, you can unlock it in whatever playthrough. You just need to load up a clear save after beating the final boss and get all the fell arms.

I assume most of that levelling was done in the Sogd Wetlands or whatever they're called in English now? Edit: Yeeeeeeep.

Is that +5/+10 level pack DLC out on PSN yet for people to take advantage of?

I believe so.

Einbroch

Banned
I really like Milla's VA...until she has to sound emotional. Then it's a mess.

Also, fuck the Teepo haters. I think he's hilarious. I rarely laugh at games, but Teepo has made me actually laugh a few times. So blunt.

Iceblade

Can someone explain how Soaring Vortex works? I'll use it, it'll go off, and then Jude will look like he's charging up another one only to do nothing. I dun get.

FSLink

Banned
Can someone explain how Soaring Vortex works? I'll use it, it'll go off, and then Jude will look like he's charging up another one only to do nothing. I dun get.

Use it close to the enemy when they aren't knocked down. If you're mashing it, he'll try to charge up another one and it'll fail to execute. Just tap it once.

really getting pissed off about the people talking about characters returning in xillia 2. kinda fucking spoils what happens to them in this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Or trophy hunters pursuing the lv 99 trophy, but even then you can just abuse Splash or one of Milla's special skills to get it easy for freeeeee.

Does anyone actually need that DLC? o_O

It does save the drag of leveling from 80 to 99 in your first playthrough.

I mean, it's completely doable with grinding but it's completely boring since you'll either be spamming up combo exp or going through the equally boring EX Dungeon.

It's completely unneeded once you can use the grade shop.

Cheska

Or trophy hunters pursuing the lv 99 trophy, but even then you can just abuse Splash or one of Milla's special skills to get it easy for freeeeee.

I mean, it's completely doable with grinding but it's completely boring since you'll either be spamming up combo exp or going through the equally boring EX Dungeon.

I'm no where close to level 99 so I suppose I may feel differently if I decide to pursue that route lol.

There is no reason or point to level to 99 in the this game at all.

So I'm in
Xian Du
, and while I was exploring the nearby marsh, I ran into one of the
Devil's Arms beasts
. I'm level 41 right now... Can I take him, or should I wait?

Rhapsody

Banned
I really can't imagine being that overpowered. The game is probably the easiest Tales game as it is IMO.
I really shouldn't have done it. But I'm just going to speed through it now on Hard and eventually it'll catch up.

Usually I don't grind like this in Tales. I've only done it in Destiny PS2 and Abyss (because of that weird open disc tray glitch on the world map).

ohlawd

argh ffs this freaking game.

I'd like to slap the people who thought it was a good idea to design the crappiest overworlds ever; sure, link the towns inbetween giant expanses with nothing except 10000 monsters all bunched up together. I got a bigger problem with the nothing part over the monsters tbh.

Kills what little enthusiam I have for this game. But I will finish this shit.... and I will finish this shit twice ;_;

Sorry, heart. Sorry, brain. Please bear with it for now.

The Grade Shop crap better give me low rates for 1325324x exp and 1731839x battle damage. The faster I can finish the second run, the better.

Eusis

I'd like to slap the people who thought it was a good idea to design the crappiest overworlds ever; sure, link the towns inbetween giant expanses with nothing except 10000 monsters all bunched up together. I got a bigger problem with the nothing part over the monsters tbh.
I like the idea of it, but yeah the execution left a lot to be desired. I'd want more interesting things to see and diversity, like how you can climb up a small mountain in Dragon Quest VIII and visit a hut there.

EDIT: And really, that's the problem either way. Overworlds don't really matter if you won't make them interesting, and vice versa neither are these field areas.

ohlawd

I like the idea of it, but yeah the execution left a lot to be desired. I'd want more interesting things to see and diversity, like how you can climb up a small mountain in Dragon Quest VIII and visit a hut there.

EDIT: And really, that's the problem either way. Overworlds don't really matter if you won't make them interesting, and vice versa neither are these field areas.
I stopped playing just now because surprise! new giant area of nothing waiting for me.

k you know what I'm gonna suck it up. I'll start playing the game again liek rite nao. I rarely bust out the coffee but bah gawd I'm going to do it. Pray for me, errbody.

Iceblade

Anyone know why there are these weird blue highlights on the bottom/edges of the screen in certain areas? Really kills the lighting contrast.

no clue how people can plat any game, especially a jrpg!

Curse steam sales and CAG and other crap. Got too much stuff to play, too little time. D:

fulltimejobwoes

no clue how people can plat any game, especially a jrpg!

Curse steam sales and CAG and other crap. Got too much stuff to play, too little time. D:

fulltimejobwoes

This game is really easy to platinum'd. It only took me a month and a half or so of playing it only after work to platinum'd it.

Thoraxes

That feel when I bought Leia's maid costume DLC.

X0r4TMj.gif

Young Magus

So I just defeated
Maxwell
and I gotta say.....I did not expect what happened to well...happen.
I knew that at the very least I'll have to fight Gaius later on but not as the final boss.

After the above boss fight, how much do I have left? I really don't want it to end but I can't STOP PLAYING!!

demidar

Finally got the game today, I feel warm and fuzzy every time I start a new (localized) Tales game. Though I probably won't be posting much since my Internet's gone down the shitter.

I also saw copies of Toki to Towa at the store, thankfully it seems none were taken.

So I'm in
Xian Du
, and while I was exploring the nearby marsh, I ran into one of the
Devil's Arms beasts
. I'm level 41 right now... Can I take him, or should I wait?

From what I've read it's best to wait for the 60s. You can jump into the fight and then run away if you want to look at their stats.

Finalow

The swamp area near the beginning of the game. I just .
you mean that place near Nia Khera? I read "monsters are stronger but it's a great place to level up" so I go there, with my level 9 party, and I get destroyed in 2 hits. (800+ damage per hit?) how are you supposed to grind there, lol.

Top Bottom