• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It was alright but the last part of the game and the ending felt a bit lacking to me. I also missed the old way they used to do the credits.

I always felt that vesperia was an abyss clone but in hd in many ways. Graces was a callback to many of the older tales games. Xillia is the modernizing of the tales franchise in all honesty and possibly represents what we should expect on the future.

Sorian

Banned
On hard it is terrible. Confuse is so freaking stupid. Add shared status effects because of linking and my goodness...

I only got to play Tuesday night this week (been out of town, finally get to dig in more tonight) but this just made me think of a question. When you heal one linked member of their status effect does the other link get cured as well?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Quick question, my party is all around 35 now. I have been using auto-level almost exclusively. Should I start alloting points on my own? Did I screw myself somewhere by relying on the game? Or do I still have time to fix things?

Bladenic

srsly, any tips for the boss above?

Have Rowen using only Air Pressure. Elize set to Only Heal in the Strategy menu. Use Milla instead of Alvin so you can use Igneous Crush as a link Arte. Also if you have Panacea bottles, set the AI to use them at Any Ailment. If you have the Wind Guard skill, equip everyone with it.

Rpgmonkey

Quick question, my party is all around 35 now. I have been using auto-level almost exclusively. Should I start alloting points on my own? Did I screw myself somewhere by relying on the game? Or do I still have time to fix things?

Unless there's something you really want that auto won't go to (yet), just keep using auto-level, it's fine.

srsly, any tips for the boss above?

IIRC having Rowen to hit weaknesses and Elize to cure ailments and heal helps. Using anything you have for protecting from wind and confuse also works.

chrono01

It doesn't really matter. Choosing your path early on can help you get certain artes/skills/attributes before others, but you'll eventually get everything anyway, if you're planning on getting to Level 99, that is. If you're not the way the paths are connected make it extremely simple to go back and later and grab anything that you might want.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty much impossible to accidentally "mess up" your character.

kayos90

Rowen spell spam. All day err day. Use L2 to run around in circles avoiding him. Repeat.

I thought the boss was super easy, even on Hard. Jude and Elize cleansed me of debuffs. Hammer guy was way harder.

I always thought he was cake compared to the stupid butterfly

FSLink

Banned
I only got to play Tuesday night this week (been out of town, finally get to dig in more tonight) but this just made me think of a question. When you heal one linked member of their status effect does the other link get cured as well?

Yes, any effects done to you or your partner applies, as well as buffs/debuffs and such.
So a thing I like to do is use Steel and then switch partners and use Steel again to use buff other people as well. Works well with Recovery Ring to quickly get rid of statues too.

linking with rowen is great for that boss. that magic shield...

Must every tales game have a female childhood friend that might be super genki?

Also this game has probably the most pathetic pickhammer animation in games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Unless there's something you really want that auto won't go to (yet), just keep using auto-level, it's fine.

...I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty much impossible to accidentally "mess up" your character.

Huge thanks to both of you, gentlemen (or ladies, if applicable). You took a massive weight of my back. I had been doing a lot of levelling, thanks to Hard gameplay being pretty well...harsh. I can now return to it, with a cleared mind!

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the fuck is a pinkist!?

Edit: The girl who keeps adding the word super in front of everything is the worst NPC of all times.

TheGrue

Is there something in the description of an arte that let's me know this will be the arte that brings up the icon to do a linked arte? For instance, the game tells you in the tutorial for Milla to use wind spear to link with Jude and the fire arte doesn't work. Is there an in-game way to know this?

Cheska

What's the item that you guys were recommending we buy with the Jet Black Feathers? Not the Artes Ball, but something else that sells for a lot of gald.

FSLink

Banned
Is there something in the description of an arte that let's me know this will be the arte that brings up the icon to do a linked arte? For instance, the game tells you in the tutorial for Milla to use wind spear to link with Jude and the fire arte doesn't work. Is there an in-game way to know this?

Has a green icon, and you can press R2 to bring up a list of link artes.

Cheska

so, should I donate every item to those shops? Or I can use those items for something else.

Some are needed to complete quests. I usually keep a few extras of every item just in case. I only use items that have the 2.0 multiplier to upgrade the shops.

So as someone who is only a few hours into the game, I have to ask; does Milla's voice actress get any better? I don't mind the lisp, but her delivery is really lacking in a lot of places, especially in comparison to Matthew Mercer and Sam Riegel, both of whom I actually quite like.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ok... I'm done grinding. Only a couple of hours and some cook- I mean takeout, and I'm a ridiculously high level lol
Time to enjoy Hard mode I guess.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn this game is good. The battle system is fantástic and Ufotable are GODS. Alvin is awesome too. Production values are good enough as well.

kayos90

This game has my seal of approval as others did also. Glad yall are liking what we played two years ago. Waiting for Xillia 2 next year is gonna be agonizing.

kayos90

Can't wait to those improvements :D

Oh and the debt system again... Ugh

I'd say it definitely takes some steps back. Removal of party member switching and the stupid debt system. Beyond that, the game feels really nice and enjoyable. Xillia 2 is a really good narrative experience. Once it's going it doesn't stop. Like... seriously.

Bladenic

I'd say it definitely takes some steps back. Removal of party member switching and the stupid debt system. Beyond that, the game feels really nice and enjoyable. Xillia 2 is a really good narrative experience. Once it's going it doesn't stop. Like... seriously.

Forced party sucked yeah, but it has a ton of other battle system improvements.

Xevren

I think because of this game, if someone asks me to buy some mutton in real life I may forced to go into a genocidal rampage.

kayos90

Throws in bad pacing in terms of game design. The requirements aren't bad but good lord, it messes up the pacing in Xillia 2 somewhat when integrated design would've been better.

I wouldn't say it's so much bad pacing design just so much that it prevents you from going forward when you want to. Basically everything post chapter 9 lol. It's just bad design. lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
"Wow, the story's getting good" Then you realize you need to hunt down a giganto monster or two in familiar maps lol

I enjoyed the character stories though. Those were fun.

Top Bottom