• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Sorian

Banned
You're right, I'm just used to pick up most games a couple of months later so I'm used to discounted prices. Have only bought a handful of games at release.

This game looks very interesting but I'd just wait a bit longer.

Buy Tales of Vesperia while you wait. (Assuming you have a 360).

RPGCrazied

Or Graces F. Its only $30 on Amazon. It has an amazing battle system, and the story isn't a good as Xillia, I still enjoyed it.

Voror

If I use a Dark Bottle in the Floodplain, would more Gentlemen show up in battles?

And would it be worth it to pick up the PS3 version of Vesperia? I know it's in Japanese, but I can deal with it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If I use a Dark Bottle in the Floodplain, would more Gentlemen show up in battles?

And would it be worth it to pick up the PS3 version of Vesperia? I know it's in Japanese, but I can deal with it.

If you've played the 360 version it's not hard to play Vesperia PS3 at all.

RPGCrazied

I would say so, permanent Flynn is reason enough.

Voror

If you've played the 360 version it's not hard to play Vesperia PS3 at all.

I would say so, permanent Flynn is reason enough.

I never got around to playing the original 360 version actually. Maybe I should do that first then after Xillia depending on what I've got on my plate.

Indeed, that as well as some of the other additions seemed good reasons, but was still curious to hear what those who may have tried it thought.

Thanks.

TheContact

Im playing tod2 (aka eternia) on my psp to get my tales fix while away from my ps3. I beat it many years ago but forgot most of it. Hows tod1?

Proven

I'm still praying for those Star Driver costumes.

I'm like, totally alone, but I always hated Jade. I hated his constant overbearing smug snarkness, his constant withholding of information and thoughts which lead to many of the bad things in the game happening. Like it would always be "I have a theory but I'm not sharing. Oops now that theory turned out true and bad things happened. Nobody gonna call me out? Alright cool." Fuck off.

And as far as Tales casters go, he sucks :p

THANK YOU!

Largely agreed, though I'd say Ion and perhaps Guy would be the exceptions there. Luke I can sort of cut slack on to a degree given how his life was, though he's still incredibly annoying in the first part.

Ion was the only good character throughout the whole game. Guy was almost there though. So close that I can't even completely remember what it was exactly that caused him to just barely fail. Something related to him being the bishounen of the group, I think.

Voror

Ion was the only good character throughout the whole game. Guy was almost there though. So close that I can't even completely remember what it was exactly that caused him to just barely fail. Something related to him being the bishounen of the group, I think.

I'm not sure what you're thinking there. I can't think it's the whole being scared when a woman touches him thing because that actually had a good reason.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Decided to go back and finish the side story bits I didn't finish. Being able to fast travel anywhere is amazing.

Jrmint

Guys I really want to like to this game, but I just cannot wrap my head around the battle system.

So when I'm controlling Jude I'm fine, I know how to do the Arte's and the links come up that's fine and whatnot. That is not my issue.

I'd like to use other characters from time to time, such as Alvin. But when I go to him I don't know how to control his Artes. I tried setting them to manual like Jude's were, but then he just stands there, and using L1 + Dpad wouldn't switch to him. What is the best way to set this up in the menus if I want to control both of their Artes, but let them do it themselves when I don't want to?

Also, is linking with the computer controlled characters completely random? I'll do Jude's attack Arte's and sometimes they link with Milia's, but not always.

The battle system seems like it's really good, but I'm just having trouble figuring it all out, and in the end I just end up mashing X and O, which I really don't want to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bladenic

Decided to go back and finish the side story bits I didn't finish. Being able to fast travel anywhere is amazing.

A lot of the side quests are very interesting and even expand upon story and characters. The fact that the major ones are voiced is nice too.

Anyone else laugh/die a little when Elize said
'kay to Alvin?

Einbroch

Banned
Guys I really want to like to this game, but I just cannot wrap my head around the battle system.

So when I'm controlling Jude I'm fine, I know how to do the Arte's and the links come up that's fine and whatnot. That is not my issue.

I'd like to use other characters from time to time, such as Alvin. But when I go to him I don't know how to control his Artes. I tried setting them to manual like Jude's were, but then he just stands there, and using L1 + Dpad wouldn't switch to him. What is the best way to set this up in the menus if I want to control both of their Artes, but let them do it themselves when I don't want to?

Also, is linking with the computer controlled characters completely random? I'll do Jude's attack Arte's and sometimes they link with Milia's, but not always.

The battle system seems like it's really good, but I'm just having trouble figuring it all out, and in the end I just end up mashing X and O, which I really don't want to do.

"Manual" isn't manual control. Manual makes them so they won't auto-run up to the enemies and attack when you input attacks or artes. Semi-Auto makes them run up to the enemy and attack, but you have full control. Auto is just that, auto. Most people play on Semi-Auto, but more advanced people, or people that really like to combo go Manual.

To set them to be your main, controllable character in battle, go to the pause menu, press right on the D-pad, then use Square to move that person to the top. They will be your controlled character in battle by default.

To link, in battle, use the D-pad. Press left to link with that person, right with the right person, down with the bottom person. You will stay linked with that person until either one of you die, or if you hit that direction again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A lot of the side quests are very interesting and even expand upon story and characters. The fact that the major ones are voiced is nice too.

Anyone else laugh/die a little when Elize said
'kay to Alvin?

So many extra skits too~
I just fought the golems at the Fort. Actually was pretty easy with my current set up.

RPGCrazied

So many extra skits too~
I just fought the golems at the Fort. Actually was pretty easy with my current set up.

I had to use an all-divide on that one too. Still was dying left and right. Thank goodness Leia is an amazing healer. Having to fight 4 was a pain too.

Voror

Out of curiosity, what are everybody's setups when it comes to Artes for the party or at least the character they control.

Right now I've got Healer, Aqua Sweep, Cerberus Strike, and Savage Roar on Jude.

Einbroch

Banned
Out of curiosity, what are everybody's setups when it comes to Artes for the party or at least the character they control.

Right now I've got Healer, Aqua Sweep, Cerberus Strike, and Savage Roar on Jude.

Palm Stike, Palm Strike, Palm Strike, Palm Strike, Palm Strike, Palm Strike!

Bladenic

I had to use an all-divide on that one too. Still was dying left and right. Thank goodness Leia is an amazing healer. Having to fight 4 was a pain too.

A set up with Elize and Leia both set to Only Heal pretty much means you'll never die. The fact that both get Ressurection, the AI immediately starts casting as soon as someone dies, and the fact that the cast time is short is sooooo good.

I finally turned in enough jet black feathers to get the trophy and the two costumes for Milla and Alvin. I like Alvin's except the skinny pants/jeans, but I LOVE Milla's outfit. Best outfit she has IMO

Hellix

I just set the character I want to use to "1" in the menu and "manual" under Artes, while setting everyone else to "Auto."

For link artes, the computer will automatically do the corresponding arte based on what you use, as long as its a valid combination.

Xenoflare

Ok guys, here is a retarded question.... How do you swap party leaders in battle? I just left Milla's village. Is it a plot thing?

That's just it though, I have artes equipped already to L1. But nothing happens when I use L1 with the right stick.

It's not the Right Stick- it's the left. Artes Ball actions are just like your normal actions with the Left Stick except you use L1 as the modifier so you need to use L1+Left Stick+ O.

Jrmint

"Manual" isn't manual control. Manual makes them so they won't auto-run up to the enemies and attack when you input attacks or artes. Semi-Auto makes them run up to the enemy and attack, but you have full control. Auto is just that, auto. Most people play on Semi-Auto, but more advanced people, or people that really like to combo go Manual.

To set them to be your main, controllable character in battle, go to the pause menu, press right on the D-pad, then use Square to move that person to the top. They will be your controlled character in battle by default.

To link, in battle, use the D-pad. Press left to link with that person, right with the right person, down with the bottom person. You will stay linked with that person until either one of you die, or if you hit that direction again.
Thanks a lot, I think that should help.

Persona7

Banned
Ok guys, here is a retarded question.... How do you swap party leaders in battle? I just left Milla's village. Is it a plot thing?

hit triangle to open the menu then right on the dpad or control stick you will be able to scroll over your party members

the prompt will be at the bottom, swap the member (square button) you want into the first slot and you can also select which character you want to be your avatar (triangle button)

In battle switch to Alvin and then pause and select the Artes menu. Make sure it's set to Semi-Auto or Manual and then set up your Artes to your liking. When you control Alvin in battle then it will use your control setup and when you switch to someone else he will just return to AI control.

Only certain Artes will link depending on who you are linked with. If you check the Artes menu during battle there will be a green icon next to the Artes that will produce a Link Arte with the character you are linked to. you can also press another button to see a list of all possible Link Artes.

Xenoflare said:

The battle party leader is whoever is in the top slot in the menu. Press right on the D-Pad and then you can change your party order.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wow, that Prea lady sure has an... interesting design.

If I was there I'd be like "Woman, can you even fight in this?"

And she is totally a slut in bed. The way she speaks and acts, goddamn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question unrelated to the game - is the figure that comes with the CE any good? I'm not sure whether or not to keep my CE.

vall03

Just fought a couple of special monsters, one is.a giant bug and another that looks like a bear. I thought they were the Devil Arms monsters but they weren't. Are there more of them in Rieze Maxia?

Xenoflare

hit triangle to open the menu then right on the dpad or control stick you will be able to scroll over your party members

the prompt will be at the bottom, swap the member (square button) you want into the first slot and you can also select which character you want to be your avatar (triangle button)

Ugh, looks like I could have phrased my question better. Sorry man, I already knew that :3

What I wanted to know is how to change leader during the battles, I know you can do it outside of battles.

Proven

I'm not sure what you're thinking there. I can't think it's the whole being scared when a woman touches him thing because that actually had a good reason.
Like I said, I don't remember, but him being a bishounen and him having gynophobia are different things. In all likelyhood he probably did something asshole-ish because of his gynophobia during Act 1, but they don't go into the why of that until Act 2.

Rhapsody

Banned

I still thought that whole part with Guy felt out of place. I don't think they exactly needed to give a reason for why Guy was afraid of women.

Also, after the party learns it, I think they still make fun of him for it? It's been awhile since I played Abyss.

Holmes

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that as well. Though I'm not sure it will work on my PS3 given I have updated to the most recent version.
You won't be able to use the patch if you have the most recent official firmware and there's no easy way to downgrade. Sorry.

Top Bottom