• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Bladenic

OMG.

I fought Nachtigal, went through the marsh, beat the Chimeriad and Gaius. And then what happened after lskcnlwkdñxmwñekdmel. It was just too much. And I had eaten some food that increased my experience by 60% lmao. I didn't know I'd fight them one after the other. And I had less problems with Jiao/Presa/Wingul this time but Gaius was brutal.

Why do I have to sleep, I want to keep playing this game :(

All those events were so epic. And you're not even supposed to beat that boss you mentioned beating, but it's soooo satisfying to win. The boss was really tough on Hard too.

Glad you liked it :)

Holmes

Oh, you don't even have to win? Makes me feel good about myself that I did, even though I'm at the end of the game and that was ages ago.

The music in
Elympios
is great except the battle theme. I'm on my way to fight
Volt
and since I'm off work today I hope that I can get to the end.

@ Kagari re: Alvin's Xian Du subevent
Alvin's mom dies in mid to late part 3 so you missed out on that subevent.
If you guys are talking about the subevent I think you guys are.

Teddified

What's the best way to do Leia's Staff Extension thing? I can maybe back-step successfully 0-1 time a fight.

I'm at like level 30 something right now and the only skills I see to help it is one that just increases the time by 3 sec.

Damn, I am still far behind everyone. I put in 5 hours today.

I am at the part where you fight Ivar but he keeps fucking me up because I have barely used Jude

Which is why i always 'main' the protag in tales games... because of the guarantee 1v1 duels.

Jude is pretty simple though, spam his backstep a bunch, and pretty much all his skills chain together, so just spam the strongest one.

demidar

You have to put the aviators on Milla. It is SO choice. I honestly don't know how anyone could play through this game without them.

I just did that too. Eventually all of my party members are gonna be wearing aviators and they'll look like some shady security company. Except Elize is wearing Emo Glasses behind her aviators which cracks me up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why the fuck is Judes medical school uniform not a costume?! Guess thats Scamco for you, already disappointed that only Milla and Alvin got costumes from that one sidequest.

Also, its kinda cool that the Opening animation is different between Jude and Milla.
You get it when you beat his story.

solid mike

5 hours into the game although I bought it last week. Fucking school.

When do the trophies start kicking in? They all just say 'target number of x'

Holmes

Oops, failed a subevent called Leia's Failure. Haha.
5 hours into the game although I bought it last week. Fucking school.

When do the trophies start kicking in? They all just say 'target number of x'
Well, start early by doing link artes, chain link artes, always eating food, using auto-item, collecting all loot bags and shiny spots, treasure chests, using every character's special abilities and link abilities etc etc, then your post-game trophy grind won't be nearly as bad. :)

aravuus

How long does this game take to get going? Elize just joined my party. I hear it takes a bit of time to really get going.

Story-wise, the first chapter is pretty slow and nothing crazy really happens, it's more about building the world and introducing the characters. After that though, the game starts dropping the wham episodes. Chapter 1 took me 15 hours.

Dragoshi1

I'm disappointed in the Elize's Song skit. They seriously botched it from the Japanese version.

It was adorable in Japanese, but it was ear gratingly terrible in English. I was hoping it would be a 1:1 translation, but NOPE.

The fandubs of it sound better than the real thing, seriously.

In other news, that
Wyvern cutscene and subsequent boss battle
was amazing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I guess it was timed and I happened to have it. LAME! Well, now you have even more reason to go back and play. lol.
I wish Namco would put out a guide or something. I started my new game + anyway and it's been a cake walk so far. So much is skipped on Milla's side of the story though...

Story-wise, the first chapter is pretty slow and nothing crazy really happens, it's more about building the world and introducing the characters. After that though, the game starts dropping the wham episodes. Chapter 1 took me 15 hours.

Alright I'll keep trucking. Does the game get more challenging? So far it's been extremely easy. I bumped the difficulty up to moderate, and am considering jumping up to hard. It says it affects rewards...does that come in the form of better item drops or more exp?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Weird, did they censor this game ? I just saw a particular scene play out, and it was different than the japanese version. Well, some "small detail" was different at least.

aravuus

Alright I'll keep trucking. Does the game get more challenging? So far it's been extremely easy. I bumped the difficulty up to moderate, and am considering jumping up to hard. It says it affects rewards...does that come in the form of better item drops or more exp?

Not really, aside from some of the bosses I thought the game was very easy from beginning to end. So if you're looking for a challenge, bump it up to hard.

As for the rewards, I believe it doesn't directly affect anything, unlike in earlier installments. On hard you're just bound to get longer combos, which increases the bonus exp you get.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nothing changed in the game content wise. I can promise that. If it's a scene then it plays out differently depending on the character perspective you're playing as.

I wish Namco would put out a guide or something. I started my new game + anyway and it's been a cake walk so far. So much is skipped on Milla's side of the story though...

I'm sure there's a guide somewhere. If you did that Alvin sidequest though, it gives you an item that gives you super-armor while charging. Very useful.

denshuu

Why the fuck is Judes medical school uniform not a costume?! Guess thats Scamco for you, already disappointed that only Milla and Alvin got costumes from that one sidequest.

Also, its kinda cool that the Opening animation is different between Jude and Milla.

Wait, they get a costume from a sidequest? Which sidequest? Jude's medical costume is the only once I've seen so far. I got that from beating his story. Now I'm playing as Milla and I'm in the Hunting Grounds.

solid mike

Oops, failed a subevent called Leia's Failure. Haha.

Well, start early by doing link artes, chain link artes, always eating food, using auto-item, collecting all loot bags and shiny spots, treasure chests, using every character's special abilities and link abilities etc etc, then your post-game trophy grind won't be nearly as bad. :)

Hmm. So getting the trophies in your first playthrough is a long shot then?

I'm almost to the last chapter on normal and I still haven't even died on a boss. Very very easy game on normal.

I've played the game for about five hours and I'm really enjoying most of the characters so far, especially the banter between Jude and Alvin.

However, the only thing that's really annoying me right now is Teepo's voice acting, honestly it just comes across as annoying and cringeworthy to me, does he become any better? I've only just had Elize
introduced as a party member about 10 minutes ago
and I'm still in the same forest.

Outside of that, I'm really enjoying the combat system and the skits, the voice acting is far better than I expected, especially for Jude and Alvin.

Also last question: Is a Milla playthrough different enough to justify after beating Judes? no spoilers.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Nothing changed in the game content wise. I can promise that. If it's a scene then it plays out differently depending on the character perspective you're playing as.

You sure ? it's not how the scene plays out, but a small detail that happens in that scene, and i'm pretty sure it's different than the japanese version.

kayos90

You sure ? it's not how the scene plays out, but a small detail that happens in that scene, and i'm pretty sure it's different than the japanese version.

I might have to go back since I don't remember that finger pointing specifically but you could be right about that. Hmm ...

For those who are looking for the all monster trophy "dunno what it's name in english"

just so you know in mila path ( chapter 3 end spoiler )
the monsters you fight in the spirit world do count for this ( they are considered different monsters even if their appearance in the same.so don't skip those battles if you're looking for this title

Dragoshi1

There's another scene that seemed changed, unless it happens later from where I'm at.

At the Falls, that one chick with the tail caught Milla, and apparently groped her up in the japanese version. This was the beginning of the game, with Alvin and Jude being in the party too, right? I was on Jude's playthrough, yet the scene never happened. Right now I'm waiting for the Wyverns to heal from the Lord of Skies boss battle.

kayos90

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yup. Seems like they changed it. Well, I guess it's because they wanted to keep the T rating or they thought it'd be in poor form. Though, considering some of the other stuff that they talk about, I would think that it's the least of their changes. Meh. It's alright.

Yeah it's weird, but i like the japanese version better since that action perfectly fits the character actually.

There's another scene that seemed changed, unless it happens later from where I'm at.

At the Falls, that one chick with the tail caught Milla, and apparently groped her up in the japanese version. This was the beginning of the game, with Alvin and Jude being in the party too, right? I was on Jude's playthrough, yet the scene never happened. Right now I'm waiting for the Wyverns to heal from the Lord of Skies boss battle.

The gropping happens only in mila path ...i remember being disapointed when i was replaying in jude path and it didn't happen.

Unless you're talking about another scene ?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, kayos90, why is it interesting the way I talked about blue cat lady?
Just fought her and Nova after meeting the king

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Call me shallow, whatever. Milla's lisp is so annoying it's actually kind of ruining the game for me. It's even worse than terrible voice acting. And it definitely isn't bad bit-rate on the samples... there is a distinct lisp happening.

I looked up the voice actor to see what else she's done. I found some youtube videos of her, and she doesn't have a lisp.

I think the voice actor is faking a lisp. Why would she do that? Maybe Namco asked her to do it, because the character is supposed to be a spirit in a human body?

The mind boggles.

Teddified

Call me shallow, whatever. Milla's lisp is so annoying it's actually kind of ruining the game for me. It's even worse than terrible voice acting. And it definitely isn't bad bit-rate on the samples... there is a distinct lisp happening.

I looked up the voice actor to see what else she's done. I found some youtube videos of her, and she doesn't have a lisp.

I think the voice actor is faking a lisp. Why would she do that? Maybe Namco asked her to do it, because the character is supposed to be a spirit in a human body?

The mind boggles.

I dunno I hear the lisp thing on people like Kline sometimes. So I think it's a quality thing.

SaintZ

You finally got a Tales games before me :p
You will probably beat me to the Platinum too
(but Graces will always haunt you... lero lero)
O.

You know that it's a matter of time before I get that grrr -____-
All those events were so epic. And you're not even supposed to beat that boss you mentioned beating, but it's soooo satisfying to win. The boss was really tough on Hard too.

Glad you liked it :)
YES. I didn't know I could lose that battle lol.
I mean, he kept spamming his Mystic Arte when I hadn't gotten any yet :mad:
that should have been a clue.

Also the fights/scene in the marsh leading up to the
Chimeriad fight
reminded me a lot of Tales of Phantasia when you have to defeat Dhaos Army (I think?). Pretty awesome.

I played a bit more last night so Elize and Alvin are back with me
and beat the Aqua Dragons which surprisingly put up a good fight.

kayos90

So, kayos90, why is it interesting the way I talked about blue cat lady?
Just fought her and Nova after meeting the king

I guess you missed the side quest already but there was a skit about Alvin saying the beds in one of the inns were super comfortable and iirc
it's related to Presa.
You can sort of infer if you saw it but since you missed it, it's alright. lol.

Top Bottom