• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Aww come on, the Japanese version was so much better! Surely one middle finger wouldn't raise the teen rating anywhere? Lame

I'm pretty sure she isn't doing that middle finger once.

(or is it xillia 2 ? ) my memory is fuzzy on that aspect.. but i remember liking that aspect of her.

Finalow

still no online trophies, ugh.

anyway, I'm pretty convinced now that the lilium orb system isn't any different than "levelling up and learning skills/getting stats" since you pretty much have to fill around 80% of the current orb level to unlock the next one. so meh, at least it has a nice visual effect.

aravuus

I'm pretty sure she isn't doing that middle finger once.

(or is it xillia 2 ? ) my memory is fuzzy on that aspect.. but i remember liking that aspect of her.

Ouch, even worse. That's such a stupid thing to censor. Well pretty much all censorship in games is dumb as hell but a middle finger? Dear god, think of the teenagers.. Ugh

Yuterald

still no online trophies, ugh.

anyway, I'm pretty convinced now that the lilium orb system isn't any different than "levelling up and learning skills/getting stats" since you pretty much have to fill around 80% of the current orb level to unlock the next one. so meh, at least it has a nice visual effect.

It's that post-FFX sphere grid obsession a lot of RPG developers in this scene can't quite seem to get over. It's simply a different way, as you said, visually, to represent character/stat growth. In this game's case, the budding of the flower makes you think it's more complicated than it really is. I actually can't stand when I get a new character in this game (just got Rowen) because they come with unspent points and I have to sit there for like 15 minutes unlocking shitty stat/skill bubbles to catch them up to speed (wait, I'm now just remembering that there's maybe an auto-level/distribution option, correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless, I never cared for this kind of leveling/character grow representation since Final Fantasy X (although, I kind of dug the "sphere grid" shit in the Digital Devil Saga games, lol!)

RPGCrazied

Do some of these quests seriously not continue until the last save point before the final boss or something?

Like Leia and her mother one, can't talk to her more. One about climes, poetry too. Still can't find a pink emerald either.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Do some of these quests seriously not continue until the last save point before the final boss or something?

Like Leia and her mother one, can't talk to her more. One about climes, poetry too. Still can't find a pink emerald either.

For the first one, the continuation happens in the Leronde Lodge. Just click stuff yo.

I would care more if she wasn't an incredibly shitty character.

Also missable quests are the worst thing about Tales games.

That's why I always play these games 3 times

Once to just play it blind

Once with a guide to get 100%

Once to play on unknown

Then I inevitably play it another 2-3 times with various friends in multiplayer. Tales games are way too much fun

Bladenic

O.

You know that it's a matter of time before I get that grrr -____-

YES. I didn't know I could lose that battle lol.
I mean, he kept spamming his Mystic Arte when I hadn't gotten any yet :mad:
that should have been a clue.

Also the fights/scene in the marsh leading up to the
Chimeriad fight
reminded me a lot of Tales of Phantasia when you have to defeat Dhaos Army (I think?). Pretty awesome.

I played a bit more last night so Elize and Alvin are back with me
and beat the Aqua Dragons which surprisingly put up a good fight.

You should definitely have mystic artes by now. I got them around Kanbalar. You probably already have the arcane artes. They are the artes with stars on their symbols. Use them in Overlimit and hold X.

SaintZ

You should definitely have mystic artes by now. I got them around Kanbalar. You probably already have the arcane artes. They are the artes with stars on their symbols. Use them in Overlimit and hold X.
Yeah I got Jude's already but haven't performed it yet (I must have had it for a while now but noticed it after the fight RIP).

Artemisia

Banned
So I've been watching some videos and it seems like
Agria and Presa
are very easy bosses that don't do much damage at all. Even their mystic artes don't seem to have much killing power. Have I just been watching some videos of high level play, or are they just designed that way?

kayos90

Agria and Presa
are very easy bosses that don't do much damage at all. Even their mystic artes don't seem to have much killing power. Have I just been watching some videos of high level play, or are they just designed that way?

The latter is a really crappy boss but the former can be annoying to a degree. The thing is, when those two are together, the combination is sort of crappy. Put them in with others and you have a whopping combo. Having said that, they're not meant to be super challenging anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmm. So getting the trophies in your first playthrough is a long shot then?
Absolutely not. I did them in my first playthrough both times I did the plat, but I did have to use a Japanese Wiki to check some of the subquest and skit occurrences.

With that said, I would not do all of the trophy hunting in the first playthrough at all. It's tedious and grindy and you can probably pull off more of it in your second playthrough if you don't intend it to be a skilled speedrun (the second playthrough, if you do everything on your first playthrough, you can probably get everything done in 4-8 hours depending on your pacing and skill). Just play through the game normally so you can enjoy it more.

5 hours into the game although I bought it last week. Fucking school.

When do the trophies start kicking in? They all just say 'target number of x'
I'll spoil tag them since people are sensitive to trophy spoilers sometimes. I'll post some tips, too.

Monster Doctor - Record 275 monsters in your encyclopedia; Milla side exclusive ones count.
Item Crazy - Record 700 items in your item book
Best Sub-Eventer - do 90 sidequests
Radio - Watch 220 skits (just select the skit option in the grade shop menu, start a new game, watch the skits you were missing and the trophy will pop... then start over the NG+ with the grade options you want)
Can't leave them unopened - open 300 treasure chests
Peta Treasure Hunter - Get 800 sparklies/duffel bags on the field
Pirate King - get 50/61 of the Aifread treasures
Jet Black Wings - get 459 black feathers and give it to the dude in Sharilton
Item Shop/Weapon Shop/Armour Shop/Accessory Shop/Restaurant VIP - level all of them to Lv 100
Beast-Hunting Knight - fight and win 800 battles
Rare Monster Professor - fight 75 rare (the blocks) or Strong! (the angry monsters on the field who look like smoke is coming out of them) enemies -- you can easily do this in the Sapstrath Forest, where you fought Jiao. Just go in and out of Sapstrath Forest from the Sharilton side, and you will likely generate a Bacura enemy to fight
Great Comboist - Perform a 100 hit combo -- You can do this with anyone, even solo. You can use Milla with 3 hits and Negative Holder all the time + 1 Damage equipped, you can use Rowen with 1-damage equipped and Splash over and over with Spell End and Speed Cast equipped, you can use Milla again with one of her post-chapter 4 skills... the wind one since it doesn't knock down anyone, etc. Everyone is broken enough to earn this trophy solo.
Cruel Bastard - beat 1350 enemies with their elemental weakness
Link Arte Representative - use 1350 Link Artes
Chain Wanderer - use 450 Chain Link Artes (easy if you just use Milla and Jude and equip different artes for different Link Artes to the regular arte buttons and the R stick)
Mentalist - use auto-item 400 times
Amazing Chef - eat food 800 times
Evasion Master - use Jude's teleport skill 150 times
Spirit Artes Master - use Milla's charged magic 150 times
Charge Master - use Alvin's charged artes 150 times
Teepo Master - use Teepo on/off 150 times... do not equip the skill that keeps Tipo On permanently... and just hold the L-stick and run when you're doing this because Elise kind of does this automatically.
Tuning Master - use Rowen's conductor ability for elemental spells 150 times
Staff Artes Master - use Leia's Staff Extend ability 150 times
Skillful Restore - have Jude use his Restore ability when he's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times. Make sure Glory is not equipped. Do not press square to avoid being knocked down. Get knocked down and he'll pick you up
Skillful Binding - have Milla use her Bind ability when she's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times
Breaker - have Alvin use his Guard Break ability when he's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times. Fight golems, since they tend to block. There is a good area for this, but this is in mid-game... it's a fiery cavern... you'll know when you get there. Set the difficulty to unknown. Tons of golems around here. Either equip 1-damage on you and him and set everyone else to not do anything and do this 150 times, or grind golem enemies.
Drain Magic - have Elise use her Drain Magic skill when she's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times. You need to knock enemies into the air for her to do this. If you're having a tough time in late game, equip 1-damage on yourself and her, set your other party members to do nothing, and go nuts.
Spirit Artes of the Iron Wall - have Rowen use his magic shield skill when he's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times. Whenever an enemy casts magic, even if you're not the target, Rowen will execute this skill. Find a mage enemy and grind it out if you want.
Amazing Thief - have Leia use her steal skill when she's linked to the character you are controlling 150 times. You need to knock the enemy down so she'll try to steal from the enemy. She has to successfully steal in order for it to count. Equip Steal Plus on her, and probably use a skill that knocks an enemy down on your part for better steal rates.
Everyone has Level 99 trophies...

...and I think that's about it. If you have any questions about how to go about doing this stuff, just ask.

Oh, please note that these numbers are increased by double or more than that in Tales of Xillia 2. Have fun with that.

And also bear in mind that you can keep doing the grinding even into postgame during the EX Dungeon, which is what I did during my second plat run.

Yup. Seems like they changed it. Well, I guess it's because they wanted to keep the T rating or they thought it'd be in poor form. Though, considering some of the other stuff that they talk about, I would think that it's the least of their changes. Meh. It's alright.
Flipping someone off does not warrant an M-rating. At all. Not in an era where The Wolverine with "go fuck yourself" apparently being his catchphrase now is rated PG-13 and pushing that rating hard. If all of the skits are sexual content akin to some PG-13/14A movies that are out today (ie: innuendo), then I honestly don't see what's wrong with keeping some of the scenes like flipping people off in.

This version is weird. :V

kayos90

Flipping someone off does not warrant an M-rating. At all. Not in an era where The Wolverine with "go fuck yourself" apparently being his catchphrase now is rated PG-13 and pushing that rating hard. If all of the skits are sexual content akin to some PG-13/14A movies that are out today (ie: innuendo), then I honestly don't see what's wrong with keeping some of the scenes like flipping people off in.

This version is weird. :V

I know. I was just throwing out random ideas that could possibly warrant some sort of justification as to why they removed it. It's definitely a weird decision and as I mentioned earlier, there are worse things in the game in comparison to the flipping.

Proven

Books can be borderline NC-17 but can be recommended for young adults.

Games have the opposite problem.

Movies are somewhere in the middle.

Variances for cultures around the world, etc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I want star drivers, thats it. I already have the formal wear, swimsuits I really don't want. What do the cameo ones look like? Maybe want those.

Did we ever get the Code Geass outfits for Graces f? If not, there's probably your answer for Star Driver.

trophies look tedious. how/why do yall do it :/

I don't think i've synced my trophies on ps3 for at least 1 year lol.

maybe its better that way ^^

so about when will i get 2nd orb web thingies and mystic artes? dudes are about mid 30s atm.

Rhapsody

Banned
I want star drivers, thats it. I already have the formal wear, swimsuits I really don't want. What do the cameo ones look like? Maybe want those.

Jude gets Leon, Milla gets Dhaos, Alvin gets Judgment Kratos, Leia gets Farah, Elize gets Mint, and Rowen gets Barbatos.
The cameos are alright, but it looks a bit odd to see sometimes. Because of the graphics and the characters being properly proportioned, it somehow doesn't look as natural as the cameos in Graces.

Edit: Did an image search (and found an image from GAF lol) http://i.imgur.com/dHcvW.jpg
You do it because you realize you get grade for it.

Agria and Presa

One thing about those two are they are basically elemental bosses. Most of their moves are elemental and are all one element.

Considering how easily you can build up your elemental resistance to the point where they are literally healing you instead of damaging you, it could just be that the party in the videos are just loaded with elemental resistance armors.

Bladenic

Jude gets Leon, Milla gets Dhaos, Alvin gets Judgment Kratos, Leia gets Farah, Elize gets Mint, and Rowen gets Barbatos.
The cameos are alright, but it looks a bit odd to see sometimes. Because of the graphics and the characters being properly proportioned, it somehow doesn't look as natural as the cameos in Graces.

Do you know what the songs played for each costume are? I also assume the changing costumes changes their end of battle quotes. Stahn and Cless costumes do, it's amusing (Jude says "I must defeat Dhaos no matter what).

Rhapsody

Banned
Do you know what the songs played for each costume are? I also assume the changing costumes changes their end of battle quotes. Stahn and Cless costumes do, it's amusing (Jude says "I must defeat Dhaos no matter what).

I don't. But I can probably assume they're probably ones like Irony of Fate, Eternia's battle theme, Coup de Grbce, etc. No idea what Elize's would be though.

aravuus

I don't think i've synced my trophies on ps3 for at least 1 year lol.

maybe its better that way ^^

so about when will i get 2nd orb web thingies and mystic artes? dudes are about mid 30s atm.

You get the second orb when you finish the layer after that "+5% *attribute*" layer. I thiiink it was the seventh layer. So yeah, finish that like you've been doing so far and the second orb is unlocked. Arcane artes (which you use to execute mas) are on the first or second layer of the second orb, either one.

Kaizer

Banned
Man I'm so massively overleveled after spending a few hours at that swamp area near Nia Khera. Getting close to finishing Chapter 1 and all my characters are Lvl. 42 or more, already working on their second Lilium Orbs too.

Quick Question: Am I the only one that generally plays all Tales games with a guide at all times? There's often so many missable little skits or character moments that I wouldn't be able to see it all just by myself. Been doing it since Tales of Symphonia.

All of those look fine except Rowen as Barbatos, seriously why? Please tell me Rowen gets a better cameo costume in Xillia 2? Rowen would have worked far with an outfit like Ricardo from Innocence or Hubert from Graces.

when has grade ever really mattered? They are mostly just boosters and carry over stuff, unless this game has some hidden dungeons that you can unlock only with grade, i see no point. o_O

Don't most tales games already give you a bucketload of GRADE just for beating the game?

RPGCrazied

Did we ever get the Code Geass outfits for Graces f? If not, there's probably your answer for Star Driver.

Nope, nor did we get the Haseo outfit for Asbel, still bummed about that.

Ohhh, I will probably get the Leon an Kratos one.

Bladenic

All of those look fine except Rowen as Barbatos, seriously why? Please tell me Rowen gets a better cameo costume in Xillia 2? Rowen would have worked far with an outfit like Ricardo from Innocence or Hubert from Graces.

The Xillia cast doesn't get new cameo costumes in Xillia 2.

Rhapsody

Banned
Xillia 2 only has cameo costumes for the new party members, and Milla and Jude iirc.
when has grade ever really mattered? They are mostly just boosters and carry over stuff, unless this game has some hidden dungeons that you can unlock only with grade, i see no point. o_O

Don't most tales games already give you a bucketload of GRADE just for beating the game?
I'm usually the type that tries to get grade (I really wish I wasn't).

Top Bottom