• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

That's good, most of the xillia 1's cast outfits in Xillia 2 look weird. Not bad for living normal lives but weird for picking up a weapon and fighting monsters

milla's tube top + miniskirt much better?

Do they ever go into detail why jude... can kick ass? There are a few skits and dialogue about training with
leia's mom
... but yeah... he seems a bit too combat competent lol.

I do wish Rowen had a better DLC costume from the ones we're gonna get for him in Xillia 1. None of them look all that nice.

I assume that all the school costumes provide the same battle theme correct?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's good, most of the xillia 1's cast outfits in Xillia 2 look weird. Not bad for living normal lives but weird for picking up a weapon and fighting monsters

I didn't mind most of them, although I switched out Alvin and Elize's hair to their version 1 styles.

Man I'm so massively overleveled after spending a few hours at that swamp area near Nia Khera. Getting close to finishing Chapter 1 and all my characters are Lvl. 42 or more, already working on their second Lilium Orbs too.

Quick Question: Am I the only one that generally plays all Tales games with a guide at all times? There's often so many missable little skits or character moments that I wouldn't be able to see it all just by myself. Been doing it since Tales of Symphonia.
no you're not alone.i do ..but i wait for my second run to use a guide , because it's easier for me to know exactly what the guide is talking about or teh crucial no return points if i already know the story.

Abyss in particular is something else if you use a guide. my play time tripled only because i did all the events. ( so many hidden scenes ).
Since then i use a guide , but on my new game plus run.
I want star drivers, thats it. I already have the formal wear, swimsuits I really don't want. What do the cameo ones look like? Maybe want those.
Star driver is looking grim.. i really think you guys won't get those.

Can't argue there

I understand she was in massive pain but I still hated her so much

I honestly
expected a late quest to patch everything and get a happy end but lol no.
Never bothered me. i feel like the game never even tried to make her appealing so , as a player you're expected to dislike her.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Do they ever go into detail why jude... can kick ass? There are a few skits and dialogue about training with
leia's mom

Jude's very gifted. He's just a fucking prodigy.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's amusing to have a 15 year old Med Student end up being the strongest party member gameplay-wise lol

I want to say school DLC and Christmas DLC will be up today. next week will be Tales cameo and maybe idolmaster.

aravuus

Quick Question: Am I the only one that generally plays all Tales games with a guide at all times? There's often so many missable little skits or character moments that I wouldn't be able to see it all just by myself. Been doing it since Tales of Symphonia.

TBH I usually use a guide for every JRPG I play cause I don't want to miss any side quests.

I honestly
expected a late quest to patch everything and get a happy end but lol no.
Never bothered me. i feel like the game never even tried to make her appealing so , as a player you're expected to dislike her.

"lol no" describes the ending to the sub-plot perfectly imo lol,
I was thinking "alright now they'll make up and everything will be okay in the end" when they were standing on the bridge, then suddenly Isla falls and turns into a potato right away. Make up? lol no let's ruin her and her fiance's life

Do the shops ever have bonuses for the fluid-type items (the ones that have the gel icon), the leafs, or the rocks? I have some really really valuable ones, but they never have the bonus at the shop, so they're just sitting there. If they're only ever valued at 1x, I should just spend them.

Gonna bump this since I got no response. Anyone know about this?

And the Coliseum sucks! :p I've fallen off the edge a few times, always on the last battles of a round. Really sucks.
i liked the edge stuff in the coliseum. i admit i fell once and i was quite angry but i used that anger to destroy them in my next attempt.

leia's mom

Did you get the skit where rowen realise
who leia mom is ?
there is another where leia talks
about her mom that give you an idea . Long story short , Leia mom is OP in ways you can't imagine.

aravuus

It's amusing to have a 15 year old Med Student end up being the strongest party member gameplay-wise lol

I want to say school DLC and Christmas DLC will be up today. next week will be Tales cameo and maybe idolmaster.

... He's 15? Wow, I guess Alvin's 20 at most and Rowen, being so old he's half dead, is 40 or something. Next you're gonna tell me Yuri was 19?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna bump this since I got no response. Anyone know about this?
All of the materials except for the ones at the end (all the way to the right-hand side) have multipliers. It's just random. The types that's all the way to the right (the orb thing, I guess) always have 1.0 multipliers. I'll take a picture in a sec.

when has grade ever really mattered? They are mostly just boosters and carry over stuff, unless this game has some hidden dungeons that you can unlock only with grade, i see no point. o_O

Don't most tales games already give you a bucketload of GRADE just for beating the game?
Not this one. The way to earn grade in this game is stupid as all hell and I wish it went back to the old version of grade earned by skill (like Innocence R is now that I'm playing it) The grade limit in this game is 10000, so you can't take everything you want in the grade shop, even if you hit the limit.

Er, did anyone earn the Aifread Treasure orbs and (Late chapter 2/3 spoilers, I guess)
fight the secret boss in the church, btw
?

He's just so good at everything! Everyone likes the atmosphere so much more when he's around! He's so amazing at everything.

Gawd... -_-

demidar

That boar boss was really tough. Did anyone else have difficulties with it or was it just me?

... He's 15? Wow, I guess Alvin's 20 at most and Rowen, being so old he's half dead, is 40 or something. Next you're gonna tell me Yuri was 19?

Anime years are completely different to real life years. I would've pegged Alvin as late-20s to 30s.

do they ever explain that ringing sound when jude is doing 'power thinking'?

for some reason i thought it was him doing some brain boostering arte... but i guess it could just be similar to the classic 'things click!' PING sound you hear in detective anime like conan when the protag figures something out.

Proven

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea to tie grade to titles/achievements as long as they're good achievements.

for some reason i thought it was him doing some brain boostering arte... but i guess it could just be similar to the classic 'things click!' PING sound you hear in detective anime like conan when the protag figures something out.
I just thought of it like a jeopardy sound, but the conan explanation sounds like the right one.

SaintZ

It was mentioned that Leia was 15 so I guess Jude must be the same age too...

The Judgement Kratos costume looks awesome *.* I want it dammit.

Rhapsody

Banned
I know, I was joking. Well Yuri was (and will always be) 25 in my mind, I think it's a perfect age for him.

I wonder if JRPGs will ever grow out of the teen protagonists.

If you ever played Abyss, you'll be surprised when you learn that Tear is 16....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Witch one what is again ?
You collect the 23 orbs for that sidequest to fight
Pluto's Descendant Red and Blue at the Zaira Church
which earns you a new Arte for Jude and a title for that.

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea to tie grade to titles/achievements as long as they're good achievements
Except that the titles are boring and don't rely on the player's skill at all. You're not earning grade so much as doing things you'd normally do in the game except at an exponential rate that ensures that the player tediously grinds for it. It's dumb design, really.

It's why I found the "find all the feathers" quest for the AC2 plat soooo bad. Trophies should be fun and demonstrative of the player's skill, not wretchedly boring and exemplified of a collectathon. That's a silly way to earn Grade, period, since you're not doing anything of merit.

It's supposed to be an anime "aha!" sort of thing like you surmised.

Proven

The ages in this game are all a lot better.

And yes, in one of the early cutscenes or events while still at the college, they talk about how intelligent and hard working Jude is, all at the age of 15. In the long run, he'll probably be considered the best teenaged Tales protagonist.

How old is Elize? Am I the only that finds it a little bit past the comfort zone that Alvin is so blatantly wanting to get in Elize's pants? She's probably like 7.

aravuus

If you ever played Abyss, you'll be surprised when you learn that Tear is 16....

.. Thanks for ruining my day dude :(

Thank god the age, or puberty or whatever, seems to never be a plot point. Or an important one anyway. And thank god for simple graphics, I'll just imagine they are all at least 5 years older.

I wonder if there's a JRPG where the oldest party member is 12 or 11.

Alvin is 26.

26 sounds surprisingly fitting. I can imagine myself being like that when I'm 26. Lonely. Very handsome. Savior of the world.

I wonder if JRPGs will ever grow out of the teen protagonists.

Gotta appease dose demographics.

Although it would be nice if the next Tales game hit the "seinen" demographic (the characters can still be pretty, but they'll deal with actual adult problems like raising kids or running a country or drug abuse or something.)

kewlmyc

How old is Elize? Am I the only that finds it a little bit past the comfort zone that Alvin is so blatantly wanting to get in Elize's pants? She's probably like 7.

What the hell game were you playing? It never came off as that to me. Just playful teasing you'd find with a big brother and his little sister.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Although it would be nice if the next Tales game hit the "seinen" demographic (the characters can still be pretty, but they'll deal with actual adult problems like raising kids or running a country or drug abuse or something.)
Xillia 2, since everyone's older and in more authoritative positions, kind of touches on that. Kind of. I haven't beaten it yet. Haha. Kagari or Kayos can probably elaborate.

Oh, and because someone asked about this earlier. I have the multipliers for the rock items and the leaf items here, so yes, the multipliers are going to be random. I've gotten x3 on both types during my playthroughs in the game, so it's random.

dsc008721vkrl.jpg

The only one that will have the 1.0 multiplier are these types. You can either sell them off, or put them towards shop build anyway. I usually put them towards shop build since I always had money.

dsc00873c7ks4.jpg

Too lazy to hook up stream equipment because I am busy with Luigi's Mansion, Dream Team, Tales of Innocence R, and Animal Crossing. :v

aravuus

I'd love to see what kind of stuff the Tales writers would come up with if they had to write adult characters with adult problems.

Problems with kids? Beat them up. Problems with country? Beat your citizens up. Problems with drugs? You know what to do by now.

demidar

I.. uhhh... what? I thought he was treating her like how you tell old ladies that they're beautiful and/or quite the looker back in the day.

kayos90

Xillia 2, since everyone's older and in more authoritative positions, kind of touches on that. Kind of. I haven't beaten it yet. Haha. Kagari or Kayos can probably elaborate.

I'd say that while the main plot for Xillia 2 deals with mature themes and ideas, it's not in the way that is described earlier, at least for the most part. You see hints of those adult problems in character episodes and stuff and in that light, yes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd say that while the main plot for Xillia 2 deals with mature themes and ideas, it's not in the way that is described earlier, at least for the most part. You see hints of those adult problems in character episodes and stuff and in that light, yes.
You know, the thing that's really preventing me from beating Xillia 2 is the fact that I feel like I have to explore all of the maps for sparklies and treat it like a plat run half the time as opposed to playing the game like a normal person. I really want to finish it off, though, before I get spoiled on everything.

That, and I don't really feel like playing console RPGs since I've been burned with the last two I'd played. >.>

Proven

I'd love to see what kind of stuff the Tales writers would come up with if they had to write adult characters with adult problems.

Problems with kids? Beat them up. Problems with country? Beat your citizens up. Problems with drugs? You know what to do by now.

Sounds like fun.

kayos90

You know, the thing that's really preventing me from beating Xillia 2 is the fact that I feel like I have to explore all of the maps for sparklies and treat it like a plat run half the time as opposed to playing the game like a normal person. I really want to finish it off, though, before I get spoiled on everything.

That, and I don't really feel like playing console RPGs since I've been burned with the last two I'd played. >.>

You really should. I think you'll have a deeper appreciation for the game narratively even if you don't like it. lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden basically uses drug names for item names? Steroids are Phoenix Downs, Tobacco heals all status effects, Alcohol cures a status effect, etc.

Barkley had a hard life, man.

You really should. I think you'll have a deeper appreciation for the game narratively even if you don't like it. lol.
Can I finish Dream Team first because I legitimately like the game and don't feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall in the narrative/script department half the time?

LOL, I really should finish Xillia 2 before September, though, when I probably won't have as much time for console stuff. Ahhh, w/e. I'll try doing it later today before my friend and I play Luigi's Mansion 2 again.

Rhapsody

Banned

You're like a masochist. Exploring all the maps, replaying Mega Man X7, getting platinums on bad RPGs. It's terrible.

kayos90

Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden basically uses drug names for item names? Steroids are Phoenix Downs, Tobacco heals all status effects, Alcohol cures a status effect, etc.

Barkley had a hard life, man.

Can I finish Dream Team first because I legitimately like the game and don't feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall in the narrative/script department half the time?

LOL, I really should finish Xillia 2 before September, though, when I probably won't have as much time for console stuff. Ahhh, w/e. I'll try doing it later today before my friend and I play Luigi's Mansion 2 again.

Your goal should be to finish it before Xillia 2's 1 year anniversary. LOLOLOLOLOL.

You collect the 23 orbs for that sidequest to fight
Pluto's Descendant Red and Blue at the Zaira Church
which earns you a new Arte for Jude and a title for that.

Oh that one . NOt good memories i shouldn't have played in the hardest difficulty at the time.

The only one that will have the 1.0 multiplier are these types. You can either sell them off, or put them towards shop build anyway. I usually put them towards shop build since I always had money.

dsc00873c7ks4.jpg

Too lazy to hook up stream equipment because I am busy with Luigi's Mansion, Dream Team, Tales of Innocence R, and Animal Crossing. :v

in NG+ the multiplayers for the shops are moving faster but it's still random

Top Bottom