• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

You know, the thing that's really preventing me from beating Xillia 2 is the fact that I feel like I have to explore all of the maps for sparklies and treat it like a plat run half the time as opposed to playing the game like a normal person. I really want to finish it off, though, before I get spoiled on everything.

That, and I don't really feel like playing console RPGs since I've been burned with the last two I'd played. >.>

if you want support , know that i played xillia 2 normally and i'm far from getting the plat in those. tell me when you're playing and i will play alongside you.

Schala, your fatal error was to replay xillia 1 BEFORE xillia 2 came out. That was a bad idea.
Are you playing in in english as well ? Now that's a worse idea....
If i see that field map one more time.......

What the hell game were you playing? It never came off as that to me. Just playful teasing you'd find with a big brother and his little sister.

There was at least 1 skit, which I don't remember the details of now, where it definitely came off as flirting. What's odd is that 99% of the time I take the opposite stance whenever someone cries afoul, but it was really gross this time.

Bladenic

Xillia 2, since everyone's older and in more authoritative positions, kind of touches on that. Kind of. I haven't beaten it yet. Haha. Kagari or Kayos can probably elaborate.

Oh, and because someone asked about this earlier. I have the multipliers for the rock items and the leaf items here, so yes, the multipliers are going to be random. I've gotten x3 on both types during my playthroughs in the game, so it's random.

dsc008721vkrl.jpg

The only one that will have the 1.0 multiplier are these types. You can either sell them off, or put them towards shop build anyway. I usually put them towards shop build since I always had money.

dsc00873c7ks4.jpg

Too lazy to hook up stream equipment because I am busy with Luigi's Mansion, Dream Team, Tales of Innocence R, and Animal Crossing. :v

How is Innocence R?

Alright, so I just saw the sub scene between
Alvin, his mother and Isla after you find out about Isla's past when coming back from the Hunting Grounds.
Cold goddam blooded. Alvin is quickly rising in the ranks as one of my favorite Tales characters ever.

I enjoyed Graces, but this cast is head over heels better. I genuinely do not understand the dislike for Jude. He's not a bumbling fucking retard which is ten steps above most every JRPG main character, hasn't been wishy-washy, is a good strategist...I just really like him quite a lot.

Bladenic

Alright, so I just saw the sub scene between
Alvin, his mother and Isla after you find out about Isla's past when coming back from the Hunting Grounds.
Cold goddam blooded. Alvin is quickly rising in the ranks as one of my favorite Tales characters ever.

I enjoyed Graces, but this cast is head over heels better. I genuinely do not understand the dislike for Jude. He's not a bumbling fucking retard which is ten steps above most every JRPG main character, hasn't been wishy-washy, is a good strategist...I just really like him quite a lot.

Yeah me neither. He's probably one of the best Tales protagonists IMO. Perhaps they changed him slightly in the dub? Idk, but I don't get why the JP version players hated him.

Either way he's leagues above Assbel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You're like a masochist. Exploring all the maps, replaying Mega Man X7, getting platinums on bad RPGs. It's terrible.
I... well... (at least you didn't count the no-hit run I did on Mega Man 10 and a small attempt at Mr. Perfect).

I promised someone that if he doesn't record and no-hit/no-death Mega Man Unlimited + Yoku Man's stage because he'd just finished putting up a Rockman & Forte no-death/100%/almost no-hit run, I won't speedrun Time & Eternity for the platinum. So far he's kept his end of the bargain, but he's hinted that he might get the urge to do it (and actually did some of it on Sunday), so who knows what I'll do. It's because he wasn't having a nice go at it, and MMU isn't one of my favourite fangames at all because... well, I'll probably discuss it in the Mega Man thread later on one of these days. My favourite hack got an update, though, which gives you a secret boss if you do a Mr. Perfect run for it! :O

I actually did try to speedrun the game yesterday, but as soon as I finished the third dungeon, I asked myself what I was doing, why I was so bored, and why the hell I even thought of doing it in the first place. Then played Dream Team instead.

Your goal should be to finish it before Xillia 2's 1 year anniversary. LOLOLOLOLOL.
When's that again? Is it November? I remember Xillia 1 was September.

How is Innocence R?
It's much better than the original version. The improvements to the battle system go such a long way. The dungeons aren't stupid corridors but actually have puzzles now. Keeping the rave gauge going is a nice incentive for players to combo more skillfully as opposed to mashing buttons and getting hit without a care. The general aesthetic of the game isn't really much to write home about, but overall, I think it's more fluid than the DS version is so far.

Though you have random battles now. In the DS version, you could pick items up after battle, and you had the style mechanic, and that is now absent from the R version.

To be honest, playing this made me want to give Hearts R another chance, and luckily I have the full game now, so I'll give it a shot when I'm finished with this.

if you want support , know that i played xillia 2 normally and i'm far from getting the plat in those. tell me when you're playing and i will play alongside you.

Schala, your fatal error was to replay xillia 1 BEFORE xillia 2 came out. That was a bad idea.
Are you playing in in english as well ? Now that's a worse idea....
If i see that field map one more time.......
Oh noooooooooo, I am not playing the game in English at all. Nope, nope, nope. I got curious about the lisping and checked it out but it's really the audio production that's off. It would be horrible if I played the game in English at this point.

And oh yes, absolutely. It was completely terrible of me to plat Xillia again right before Xillia 2 came out. Even replaying the game would be a bad idea.

And sure. I'll post in the Xillia 2 thread when I start up again.

Stuart444

I just got destroyed by the
Golden Mage Knight... on his final phase of 3 knights

So close :( oh well, guess I need to level some more... which isn't so bad with the 100% food items :D

aravuus

Definitely, a fucking great cast. The only thing I didn't like about Jude was that continuous "no let me do this alone" thing most JRPG protags do, but that's about it. Other than that, he's a good Tales protagonist and a wonderful JRPG protagonist.

There was at least 1 skit, which I don't remember the details of now, where it definitely came off as flirting. What's odd is that 99% of the time I take the opposite stance whenever someone cries afoul, but it was really gross this time.
Yeah, there's one or two creepy skits where Alvin says something to the extent of "she'll be hot someday, keep an eye on her".

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah me neither. He's probably one of the best Tales protagonists IMO. Perhaps they changed him slightly in the dub? Idk, but I don't get why the JP version players hated him.

Either way he's leagues above Assbel.

I still don't know how Asbel got third in the 2 latest character Tales poll.

I think I remember reading that supposedly for the next character poll, they're not going to allow Leon and Yuri, so Asbel getting first is going to be really weird if Japan still likes him.

I think I remember reading that supposedly for the next character poll, they're not going to allow Leon and Yuri, so Asbel getting first is going to be really weird if Japan still likes him.

Takahiro Sakurai

kewlmyc

Don't remind me. Hopefully Judas is number 1 instead. Asbel being number 1 is disgusting.

Takahiro Sakurai

So they're voting for the VA and not the actual character? That's polls for you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I honestly think they vote for the seiyuu at this point as opposed to the character. So they're really voting for Takahiro Sakurai.

And that's right! No Leon and Yuri anymore. So Judas has a shot now.

Jude was #10 on the 2012 poll last I checked:
And the Tales 6th Popularity Poll results are:

Favourite Tales Character:

1) Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
2) Leon Magnus (Tales of Destiny)
3) Asbel Lhant (Tales of Graces)
4) Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)
5) Alvin (Tales of Xillia)
6) Milla Maxwell (Tales of Xillia)
7) Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)
8) Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
9) Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
10) Jude Mathis (Tales of Xillia)
11) Emil Castagnier (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
12) Guy Cecil (Tales of the Abyss)
13) Kratos Aurion (Tales of Symphonia)
14) Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
15) Cheria Barnes (Tales of Graces)
16) Flynn Scifo (Tales of Vesperia)
17) Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss)
18) Sophie (Tales of Graces)
19) Spada Belforma (Tales of Innocence)
20) Reid Hershel (Tales of Eternia)
21) Leia Rolando (Tales of Xillia)
22) Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia)
23) Pascal (Tales of Graces)
24) Cless Alvein (Tales of Phantasia)
25) Elise Lutus (Tales of Xillia)
26) Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
27) Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss)
28) Richard (Tales of Graces)
29) Gaius (Tales of Xillia)
30) Estelle (Tales of Vesperia)

Rhapsody

Banned
For a moment I really did forget about Sakurai.

It really would be hilarious to see Judas take top spot now though.

Edit: I never thought I'd see Kratos drop from third way back to now after Emil (although Japan seems to like Emil)

Jiraiza

I dunno about that, if it was literally voting for voice actors, Sugita and Hanakawa should totally be up there but they're not (well I guess Sugita is).

Speaking of voice actors, what will they do when they run out of voice actors to use for their Tales games!?

I wouldn't say seiyuu is completely the only reason. It's a good deciding factor cause otherwise Alvin, Asbel, Sophie, Milla and Flynn would be ruling the polls. (Though they should be!).

It's probably more with how popular the character is with the fandom and how visible they are in the promotion stuff which is pretty hard to actually to guess how popular they'll be.

I just got destroyed by the
Golden Mage Knight... on his final phase of 3 knights

So close :( oh well, guess I need to level some more... which isn't so bad with the 100% food items :D

What did tipo said when you reached phase 3 ??? this is important.
( plz spoiler the answer ).

aravuus

Uh... Seiyuu? e: oh voice actor. why not just write va....

I take it you like Estelle? :D sucks she was so low. And Cheria was so fucking high ugh. No Malik :(

Estelle was fantastic! It's weird how much I liked her. Reminded me of Leia, whom I also liked a lot.

Also, since I think I forgot to mention it earlier, I'm really glad Xillia
averted a love triangle between Jude, Milla and Leia. Dear god do I hate love triangles where the player doesn't get to affect anything. And honestly, a teen barely in his puberty with a 2000-year old spirit-turned-human? That would have been plain dumb. Though I guess I wouldn't have minded to see Jude and Leia end up together.

It amuses me intensely that Yuri was 1 and Estelle was 30. And I liked Estelle.

Also, I assume no Yuri/Leon is due to them constantly winning. Which is as it should be.

Really happy to see Luke at 4 considering I think he was the best fleshed out Tales character with the best character progression. Really good writing with him (fooooor the most part).

Stuart444

What did tipo said when you reached phase 3 ??? this is important.
( plz spoiler the answer ).

I don't think Tipo said anything. The party was talking about
how they live off the fighting nature of humans or something and we'll keep fighting til they die

After that, I got killed, couldn't revive in time (2 folks got taken down and the other 2 were being knocked down before they could use an item)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wouldn't say seiyuu is completely the only reason. It's a good deciding factor cause otherwise Alvin, Asbel, Sophie, Milla and Flynn would be ruling the polls. (Though they should be!).

It's probably more with how popular the character is with the fandom and how visible they are in the promotion stuff which is pretty hard to actually to guess how popular they'll be.
Well, while more guys play Tales games, more girls buy the merchandise, participate in Tales Festival, vote in the rankings, etc. So it's probably a combo of voice actor + the character's writing/how cool they look, etc.

I take it you like Estelle? :D sucks she was so low. And Cheria was so fucking high ugh. No Malik :(
I do. I love what they did with her character type after the beginning of the game, and her growth seemed genuine in terms of the writing. Her character interactions are also very nicely executed, and it was refreshing to see that she wasn't clamouring for Yuri's attention in a romantic sense (though to be fair, the nature of her emotions towards him is unclear, but I'd like to think it was more sisterly than anything).

It also helps that I really love her design, too. So much so that I want to get that figure that's coming out soon, but it's kind of out of my price range and I can't justify the cost of something that's not practical at the moment.

FSLink

Banned
Just noticed that Tornado Drive is actually Senkuureppa/Light Spear.

It probably needed a name change considering how bad the name was (makes it sound Light Elemental and Spear weapon exclusive) but Tornado Drive makes it sound like a wind elemental move. They should have just reverted it to Spiral Attack.

I do. I love what they did with her character type after the beginning of the game, and her growth seemed genuine in terms of the writing. Her character interactions are also very nicely executed, and it was refreshing to see that she wasn't clamouring for Yuri's attention in a romantic sense.

It also helps that I really love her design, too. So much so that I want to get that figure that's coming out soon, but it's kind of out of my price range and I can't justify the cost of something that's not practical at the moment.
Her dub voice is stellar too. Probably my favorite female protagonist. I wish she was faster in battle, she's slow until you use certain artes enough times, but I liked controlling her for the most part.

Rowen is better than Raven >_< seriously, preferred him so much more over Raven who I liked but Rowen is just so much better than him to me.

Rowen is seriously amazing. Raven felt like a Zelos-lite to me.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kratos, Jade, and Raven are the only older Tales members in the top 30. Rowen needs some love too.

Interesting how both Kratos and Jade used to be 3rd at one point. Raven was a pretty cool character. I really liked his VA in the english version. Actually, I really liked the english VAs for all of Vesperia cast. They just fit the roles really well.

I don't think Tipo said anything. The party was talking about
how they live off the fighting nature of humans or something and we'll keep fighting til they die

After that, I got killed, couldn't revive in time (2 folks got taken down and the other 2 were being knocked down before they could use an item)

tipo should have said something among those lines :

What the heck ? it's not over !!?? this thing is totally unfair... i can't believe it

You need elise in your active party when that 3 phase starts.

This sentence above stayed in my mind because this was EXACTLY how i felt at the time.

Another special sentence that can occur during this fight is with mila & jude and this is something like this :

No matter what happens , we won't flatter and will defeat you !!

yeah i played that fight a little too much.

Bladenic

All this Estelle love. You guys rock. She's my favorite Tales female protagonist. And I actually wish they would have been more specific on her and Yuri, because I loved them together and actually wanted them to end up together romantically given their different backgrounds, etc. I guess Rita won though :p

As for Jude/Milla/Leia
while I had very strong worries and doubts about Jude and Milla, I think it's been handled pretty well. Though I feel REALLY bad for Leia. Poor girl. If she were older I'd totally like her to be paired with Alvin.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One day after I get a 360 and play Blue Dragon, I'll give Vesperia's dub a try. Danielle Judovits seems to be a good fit for Estelle. I didn't have much experience with Mai Nakahara prior to playing Vesperia by comparison.

Also, good! I'm glad they changed Senkuureppa's name. The original name didn't fit at all.

FSLink

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjxjno0vi4

So apparently there's an undub out for those out there who have Jailbroken PS3s. This person's playing with unreleased costumes too (including the Star Driver costumes which aren't likely to come out for the English version).

After playing the English version for the past week and hearing the dub, I almost forgot how childish Jude sounded originally in Japanese....

Also, good! I'm glad they changed Senkuureppa's name. The original name didn't fit at all.
Senkuushoureppa/Victory Light Spear is now Cyclone Drive btw.

I think it's still Victory Light Spear when Ivar uses it though....ugh, they need to be consistent!

All this Estelle love. You guys rock. She's my favorite Tales female protagonist. And I actually wish they would have been more specific on her and Yuri, because I loved them together and actually wanted them to end up together romantically given their different backgrounds, etc. I guess Rita won though :p
When i played vesperia , estelle was great but her relation with yuri never went past huge trust and friendship... all the sexual tension was between yuri & judith for some reason.
As for Jude/Milla/Leia
while I had very strong worries and doubts about Jude and Milla, I think it's been handled pretty well. Though I feel REALLY bad for Leia. Poor girl. If she were older I'd totally like her to be paired with Alvin.

You have a nice sequel to look forward to.

I had my first one-on-one battle, with
Ivar
. It was hard, but it also reminded me of why I really enjoy Tales games. The fighting is just so fun.

The boss became very difficult, though, when it started doing a ground attack that I couldn't backstep away from due to its reach. The attack would stun me, leaving me open for some devastating attacks that would seriously drain my HP. Moments like that REALLY make me miss Tales of Graces f's sidestepping, because I could have easily sidestepped away from it.

Because Jude was by himself, grinding was not an option (next is like 1000, and when you're by yourself, the enemies in fewer numbers only give you 5-10 EXP) so I just kept trying on Hard and beat the boss after a few tries.

Bladenic

When i played vesperia , estelle was great but her relation with yuri never went past huge trust and friendship... all the sexual tension was between yuri & judith for some reason.

You have a nice sequel to look forward to.

What?
Unless I missed something Leia and Alvin aren't romantically involved in ToX2... Are they? And Jude and Leia definitely aren't.

FSLink

Banned
The boss became very difficult, though, when it started doing a ground attack that I couldn't backstep away from due to its reach. The attack would stun me, leaving me open for some devastating attacks that would seriously drain my HP. Moments like that REALLY make me miss Tales of Graces f's sidestepping, because I could have easily sidestepped away from it.

You get a sidestep-like skill later on, but you attack while pivoting. It's done with L1 + attack to sidestep.

Xillia 2 you actually get Graces-like sidestepping from the beginning. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After playing the English version for the past week and hearing the dub, I almost forgot how childish Jude sounded originally in Japanese....
He did, and it made his lines sound so naive and silly (and made the character even worse off because of that), and he sounded even worse during one particular segment. That's why I said deepening his voice for the English dub was for the best, so people would like him more.

Not gonna lie. I kinda wanted that fairy tale ending back then, myself. But by the end, I was glad that the writing didn't pursue it and dealt with their friendship rather maturely.

You get a sidestep-like skill later on, but you attack while pivoting.

Xillia 2 you actually get Graces-like sidestepping from the beginning. :D

It's done with L1 + attack to sidestep.

I actually have and tried that skill, but it wasn't fast enough for me to evade the attack. Either that, or I just didn't spend enough time to master it. Great to hear Xillia 2 has it, though. From the way everyone's talking about it, it seems to be quite a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjxjno0vi4

So apparently there's an undub out for those out there who have Jailbroken PS3s. This person's playing with unreleased costumes too (including the Star Driver costumes which aren't likely to come out for the English version).
The big smile on my face when jude did a "APPRIVOISE" during that fight.

What?
Unless I missed something Leia and Alvin aren't romantically involved in ToX2... Are they? And Jude and Leia definitely aren't.

i never implied that.
The relationship between everyone get improved in xillia 2 , that's a given since it's a sequel. Any lingering feeligns about "leia being left out" should be good once you play TOX2 , that's what i meant.

Now that said , the game put everyone into pairs , jude/mila, alvin/leila , elize/rowen, gaius/muse ... this is obvious when you look at the character quests.No romantics feeligns

Bladenic

I never got a romantic feeling between Estelle and Yuri. Ever.

Really? I definitely did but it was never blatant or her pinning for him like, say, Cheria after Asbel. I liked the way that Vesperia handled their relationship and that there was no predictable triangle with Flynn, I just wanted to end up together :p

Rhapsody

Banned
Don't know why, but I liked Jude's Japanese voice. It just fits him, and I didn't hate his character either with it.
It was a good choice to do a deeper english voice though, definitely.

aravuus

As for Jude/Milla/Leia

Haha yeah, I admit I kind of also wanted to see Estelle and Yuri end up together. Though I feel this way every time I see a particularly likeable male and female duo, romantic sub-plots are fantastic when I like both of the characters.

And yeah, agreed on the latter part too.

FSLink

Banned
It's going to be awkward if we ever get another spinoff game localized and we can have Jude, Reid, and Flynn on the same team.

Proven

Estelle was a really good character all around. I ended up playing her most of the time I did multiplayer in Vesperia, and her writing made it much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise.

Top Bottom