• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Stuart444

tipo should have said something among those lines :

What the heck ? it's not over !!?? this thing is totally unfair... i can't believe it

You need elise in your active party when that 3 phase starts.

This sentence above stayed in my mind because this was EXACTLY how i felt at the time.

Another special sentence that can occur during this fight is with mila & jude and this is something like this :

No matter what happens , we won't flatter and will defeat you !!

yeah i played that fight a little too much.

Now that you mention it, Tipo did say that XD.

Needing Elize though? Seemed like things were going okay until
two of them cornered one group and the lone one killed me and my linked partner.

I was using Jude with Leia (seriously, they have some of the best link moves in the game) and my fiancee was using Milla with Alvin as her linked partner...

It was going so well until the last section of that fight XD. (apart from using lots of healing items anyway)

Finalow

It's that post-FFX sphere grid obsession a lot of RPG developers in this scene can't quite seem to get over. It's simply a different way, as you said, visually, to represent character/stat growth. In this game's case, the budding of the flower makes you think it's more complicated than it really is. I actually can't stand when I get a new character in this game (just got Rowen) because they come with unspent points and I have to sit there for like 15 minutes unlocking shitty stat/skill bubbles to catch them up to speed (wait, I'm now just remembering that there's maybe an auto-level/distribution option, correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless, I never cared for this kind of leveling/character grow representation since Final Fantasy X (although, I kind of dug the "sphere grid" shit in the Digital Devil Saga games, lol!)
yes, it's pretty much that, another way to visually represent characters growth, and really nice to see too but I'd have preferred something like DDS that you mentioned, where you have complete freedom.
and yes, you can auto-level, it's a lot more faster and I'm using it all the time.

Absolutely not. I did them in my first playthrough both times I did the plat, but I did have to use a Japanese Wiki to check some of the subquest and skit occurrences.
2 times? Wow, I read about trophies before and they looked very long to do. not hard, since you can even do everything on easy, but long. I guess that the ng+ with those grade shop bonus can help quite a bit.

Don't know why, but I liked Jude's Japanese voice. It just fits him, and I didn't hate his character either with it.
It was a good choice to do a deeper english voice though, definitely.
Glad i'm not alone thinking this.

Now that you mention it, Tipo did say that XD.

Needing Elize though? Seemed like things were going okay until
two of them cornered one group and the lone one killed me and my linked partner.

I was using Jude with Leia (seriously, they have some of the best link moves in the game) and my fiancee was using Milla with Alvin as her linked partner...

It was going so well until the last section of that fight XD. (apart from using lots of healing items anyway)

I think that elise + leia is the key to get out of most of the healing problems when you're playing alone.
Now if you were playing with someone else , your strategy wasn't bad you seriously you have to link and unlink because you have to use all 6 chars to manage , only because you have a 3rd ennemy that just break any attempt you have to focus and even then you can't really pin 2 of them in one place because they move too much. so to survive i used a healing pair and sometime i let some of my character rest to bring alvin to do damage and change the flow of the battle that can head in a bad direction with just one stun.
And if my memory is right there is also one that put status effects on my party members....such a pain.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually don't think any one voice actor has actually voiced 4 characters to make a team. (yet).
JYB comes close, though. Cress in the Phantasia OVA dub, Guy, and Emil.

Laura Bailey's voiced Gauche, Cheria, and Marta, but Gauche isn't playable.

2 times? Wow, I read about trophies before and they looked very long to do. not hard, since you can even do everything on easy, but long. I guess that the ng+ with those grade shop bonus can help quite a bit.
I wanted to get the Xillia plat on my NA/new main PSN profile for consistency. I was working towards the JP Graces one for that profile until the English version of Graces came out and I dropped it, lol (I ended up platinuming Graces twice, too). But yeah, it's just long, boring, and tedious. Not hard at all.

Stuart444

Tempest Pirouette is so gooood. Too bad they don't have more link artes together.

Indeed, I use that one almost exclusively (followed by two others, double Cerberus and one other). Also one move that is a jumping fireball link arte is good.

I've not had leia out of my party in a long time because of these link artes.

I think that elise + leia is the key to get out of most of the healing problems when you're playing alone.
Now if you were playing with someone else , your strategy wasn't bad you seriously you have to link and unlink because you have to use all 6 chars to manage , only because you have a 3rd ennemy that just break any attempt you have to focus and even then you can't really pin 2 of them in one place because they move too much. so to survive i used a healing pair and sometime i let some of my character rest to bring alvin to do damage and change the flow of the battle that can head in a bad direction with just one stun.
And if my memory is right there is also one that put status effects on my party members....such a pain.

I'll probably try and use the same strategy next time but switch to Elize near the end of the second phase.

for some reason I feel like i'm gonna be bummed with the next tales of game's cast after this one.

Are the new folks in xillia 2, decent enough folks? Notice a loli.

Jiraiza

The more you guys talk about Estelle, the more I want to translate this Yuri x Estelle doujin + play the PS3 copy I've had collecting dust for half a year now. Pls.

Cast in xillia 2 is a great. Everyone was concerned about the loli being a problem but this wasn't the case.

I'll probably try and use the same strategy next time but switch to Elize near the end of the second phase.

i can't honnestly give you a decent stratégy for this boss , because everytime i beat him , that was on the brink of death because he is Top-tier annoying.

I think that using your 6 character is necessary , i also think that you must muster all your damage output on 1 in order to not be overwhelmed ( even if you have to spend a lot of time healing ) i think that taking care of the one that is giving you bad status effects is a priority.
I also remember that rowen & mila had a skill that let them chain magics faster that helped me spam big damage quickly.

beyond that i can't help you.

GOOD LUCK

Bladenic

There sure are a lot of cats around the port of
Trigleph.

Also strange coincidence that a character mentioned in a side quest is named Julius.

Rhapsody

Banned
for some reason I feel like i'm gonna be bummed with the next tales of game's cast after this one.

They're definitely good. I was surprised at how much I liked Ludger and Elle towards the end of the game.
They really make you feel for the characters.
I haven't decided if I want to play Vesperia PS3, NA Xillia or JP Xillia 2 next.
Besides some leftover Tales I need to finish, I'm personally debating on replaying either Graces or Vesperia.
Mostly leaning towards Graces just to revisit that battle system again though.

Hm, doesn't look like we're getting new costumes this week. (Unless they just aren't up on the store yet). :/

I guess seeing if the Star Driver costumes go up or not can help me decide what game I'll play next.

Bladenic

Hm, doesn't look like we're getting new costumes this week. (Unless they just aren't up on the store yet). :/

I guess seeing if the Star Driver costumes go up or not can help me decide what game I'll play next.

NOOOO I want school battle theme :((((((

Edit: checked PSN. There were no new Add-ons from last week. So unless there were really absolutely no new add ons for this week, we may still get costumes. Come on school!

Question: When should I start tangling with the weapon beasts? I've already seen two and didn't wanna wipe both times after not saving for a while.

Hubb

NOOOO I want school battle theme :((((((

Edit: checked PSN. There were no new Add-ons from last week. So unless there were really absolutely no new add ons for this week, we may still get costumes. Come on school!

I'd hope so unless Namco really doesn't want money. Release them this week and get $3 from me, next week? Nothing.

Question: When should I start tangling with the weapon beasts? I've already seen two and didn't wanna wipe both times after not saving for a while.

Quicksaves!

Rhapsody

Banned
Well if there are no new costumes this week, I'm not even sure I'll end up buying any then since I might be done by then.
Just need to hope that the add-ons are lagging behind then.

Edit: Well that's unfortunate

Dio

Banned
So I got my copy! Even though I placed my order three days after release day, I still got a limited edition, so this first print must be pretty large.

I heard stories of Gamestop people taking Xillia out of its LE and selling it as just the game by itself, any of you victims of this?

Well if there are no new costumes this week, I'm not even sure I'll end up buying any then since I might be done by then.
Just need to hope that the add-ons are lagging behind then.

Edit: Well that's unfortunate

it's weird that they are not pushing the dlcs more ... people aren't gonna stay playing this game for a month ... they should hurry ( especially since they don't have work to do on them )

Main story is a lot shorter than I expected unless chapter 4 is really long. I'm about a hour into chapter 4 with only 23 hours played. I didn't even rush, I cleared most fields of enemies and did a few, not many side quests on this play through. I'm level 53 or so. =[ Oh well 2nd play through is going to be a long trophy farm.

RPGCrazied

I thought this dungeon had some plot in it.

The optional/ex dungeon you will unlock after beating the game and getting all the fell arms.

I didn't see any, other than for fell arm stuff. Anyways, thanks. I got them all now, just need to beat the game. Still trying to finish up the side quests. Just about to hit 40 hours.

So I got my copy! Even though I placed my order three days after release day, I still got a limited edition, so this first print must be pretty large.

I heard stories of Gamestop people taking Xillia out of its LE and selling it as just the game by itself, any of you victims of this?

I got mine from GS with no problems. Got the box, character book, and soundtrack with it and everything. So no problems for me, thankfully.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, wasn't kidding when I said the main game was short.

Hope you enjoy it despite your reservations prior to playing it.

Stuart444

Remember, DLC works with Xillia 2 so buying Xillia 1 DLC now isn't a bad thing unless you're not planning on getting Xillia 2 at least.

Holmes

Guess I won't be getting any more DLC costumes since I plan to have this game platinumed by next week. Maybe that's a good thing...

aravuus

Remember, DLC works with Xillia 2 so buying Xillia 1 DLC now isn't a bad thing unless you're not planning on getting Xillia 2 at least.

Hngh shit

Well I'll at least wait until I hear if X2 is released in EU and US at the same time. Going to get the US version if they get it first.

So I liked the characters in Graces but didn't love them. I only dabbled in Vesperia. Loved Symphonia as a kid.

Will I enjoy this game?

RPGCrazied

Ok, I have one last quest in my log other than the feathers quest. Its about Rowen.
Love-fevered visions. I saw the cutscene at fezble marsh, but I don't know what to do next. I pretty much went to every location to no avail.

Top Bottom