• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Why is there no music in this game?

I swear, town after town, identical seahaven after identical seahaven, there is so much nothing

I just went on the GT site and GT gave Tales of Xillia an
. I gotta watch this video review now. I can't believe they reviewed a Tales Of game so high after giving Graces a 6.7, though in the Tales Of and GT's defense. They did give Vesperia an 8.8.

yeah... it takes a bit before the music kicks on after a battle. really weird.

Not a fan of some boss fights not being obvious when they happen. have to purposely die so i can pop a 100% exp.

that boss fight against the guy that goes white hair super sayan and the boobies girl was surprisingly easy though.

Maybe its because i unlocked the armor tier for shit that gives elemental resistance and i've unlocked much of the element guards skills o_O

Sorian

Banned
I just went on the GT site and GT gave Tales of Xillia an
. I gotta watch this video review now. I can't believe they reviewed a Tales Of game so high after giving Graces a 6.7, though in the Tales Of and GT's defense. They did give Vesperia an 8.8.

That would be the order I'd rate the game too. Each game would also get an extra .5 from me because they don't have to pay the RPG tax that I feel most reviewers take off just because of the genre.

LuuKyK

I FINALLY GOT THE GAME. God bless some efficient brazilian importers. :DDDD
yes I consider this fast lol

So now what to do? To start the game on hard or normal? I heard a lot of reviewers mentioning the game feels way too easy outside of boss fights...

That would be the order I'd rate the game too. Each game would also get an extra .5 from me because they don't have to pay the RPG tax that I feel most reviewers take off just because of the genre.

I feel the same way. I don't know why but it seems for most JRPG's, reviewers set the bar higher then normal for some reason. I just got done with the review but I think they actually gave this a fair rating though. They said it had pop-ups, stupid A.I. enemies, flat boring environments, and the odd audio in the game. These are all small issues but when put together should equal a -1 or -2 in my opinion.

I think GT actually did a good job with this review. I hope this game sells well from all the good reviews and impressions I'm seeing of it.

Oh yeah, this is one of the big things I forgot to mention! I loved how loading times were almost non-existant, even before cutscenes it loaded for only a second or two. Which makes me wonder how in the world did they manage to fuck up the performance so bad otherwise, it's not a particularly pretty game yet I still got A LOT of slowdowns in battles.

Performance is bad in battle because everything is loaded in memory and they were cutting really close to the current ps3 specs. This is obvious when you chain link too many battles ..your ps3 will slow down to a degree never seen before. EX dongeon is the best place to see it.
The problem is not how pretty it is , but how many animations at once are loaded in memory ... and xillia has plenty of animations

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My boyfriend even bought a copy of this game and apparently started it tonight because he couldn't understand a single thing when he played it in Japanese two years ago. He didn't even finish his copy of Vesperia. And he hasn't even played the copy of Tales of Graces f I bought for him for Christmas last year yet. But he's finished Xillia and he wants to play it again. @__@

Oy vey. Hilariously, he's the one who got me into the series by lending me a few games in the series to play, so it's interesting to see how much we disagree with respect to Tales (and games in general...), period.

Performance is bad in battle because everything is loaded in memory and they were cutting really close to the current ps3 specs. This is obvious when you chain link too many battles ..your ps3 will slow down to a degree never seen before. EX dongeon is the best place to see it.
The problem is not how pretty it is , but how many animations at once are loaded in memory ... and xillia has plenty of animations
LOL, I remember doing that and chuckling to myself. The EX dungeon is definitely the best place to see it, especially with those enemies that continuously spawn in-battle.

With that said, Xillia has some really nice spell and attack effects. I'll give it credit for that.

So now what to do? To start the game on hard or normal? I heard a lot of reviewers mentioning the game feels way too easy outside of boss fights...
Try moderate and see how you feel about it. If you find it too hard, switch it to normal. If you find it too easy, try Hard. you can always switch the difficulty depending on how fights feel to you.

MilkBeard

I haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Perhaps it's just in rare situations.

LOL, I remember doing that and chuckling to myself. The EX dungeon is definitely the best place to see it, especially with those enemies that continuously spawn in-battle.

With that said, Xillia has some really nice spell and attack effects. I'll give it credit for that.
Definitly funny once you clear some ennemies and the fps start to come back
There was those ennemies that summon more ennemies , right ? you screen is filled with annimations, effects, and spell effects and you wonder if your ps3 won't overheat.

I haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Perhaps it's just in rare situations.

you have to do that on purpose to get that effect.

Xillia 2 actually corrected the effect by freeing memory in 2 ways:

-Only
4 party members loaded
-Chained Ennemies arrive in waves , not all at once like in xillia 1.

They still cut it very close considering how many more animations they added.

Young Magus

Found this on twitter. Totally worth it.

BRl1klPCAAAyfla.jpg:large

This is funny/not right on so many levels.

Also, is it just me or did it seem that the skits/localization was top notch in this?

Holmes

Thank god I'm done with the "do x character's ability/link ability 150 times" trophies. Saw that the number is 450 instead in Xillia 2, but I have a whole year not to think about that...

Milla's bind was my last one, and I don't know if it's a glitch or an exploit, but I was able to have her bind a wolf-type enemy continuously without stunning it linked with Jude. I had him sparsely attacking the wolf to keep it stun locked, and she would just randomly bind. Sometimes 5+ times in a row, sometimes not for 20 seconds. But it was relatively quick.

PKrockin

My boyfriend even bought a copy of this game and apparently started it tonight because he couldn't understand a single thing when he played it in Japanese two years ago. He didn't even finish his copy of Vesperia. And he hasn't even played the copy of Tales of Graces f I bought for him for Christmas last year yet. But he's finished Xillia and he wants to play it again. @__@
he series by lending me a few games in the series to play, so it's interesting to see how much we disagree with respect to Tales (and games in general...), period.
I was going to say shame on him, but then I realized it took an unfinished playthrough and two years away from my first Tales game, Symphonia, until I came back and realized how great it was. Same for Abyss, Fire Emblem, and X-Com UFO Defense.

Some 10 years later, I have still not yet hit that point with Skies of Arcadia Legends... ;-;

I'm kinda getting sick of every tales game having a Raven\Alvin type -_- Btw how much longer do I have in the main story?
just beat maxwell and got Millia back

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Try moderate and see how you feel about it. If you find it too hard, switch it to normal. If you find it too easy, try Hard. you can always switch the difficulty depending on how fights feel to you.

I would say that moderate is still pretty easy.

Young Magus

I'm kinda getting sick of every tales game having a Raven\Alvin type -_- Btw how much longer do I have in the main story?
just beat maxwell and got Millia back

1.) That type of character has roots in the series since Tales of Destiny. Some were actually pulled of well

2.)
Your about 4-6 till the end.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Some of the cutscenes in this game are kinda awkward, like awkward shots and strange transitions (like in Luke's hometown where
Luke's father said something to Luke and suddenly he just walks off with a weird transition
).

FSLink

Banned
I don't know the english name, but I'm sure you get it after beating the game.

Shattering Demon Fist, and correct.

Streaming again at http://twitch.tv/fslink

Maining Elize right now, never really messed around with her too much in the JPN version, she's tons of fun! Chaotic Fusion is so broken. Anybody know how to easily combo into her Mystic Arte outside of using skills to extend Overlimit time?

Toki767

Some of the cutscenes in this game are kinda awkward, like awkward shots and strange transitions (like in Luke's hometown where
Luke's father said something to Luke and suddenly he just walks off with a weird transition
).

I know what you mean. It's like awkward silence, but in physical form.

I wish they had used the in game engine for all the cutscenes instead of having some anime ones here and there, but I guess some scenes just couldn't be done with the in game engine. Shame too cause visually the game looks way nicer than the anime scenes.

Maining Elize right now, never really messed around with her too much in the JPN version, she's tons of fun! Chaotic Fusion is so broken. Anybody know how to easily combo into her Mystic Arte outside of using skills to extend Overlimit time?

I believe there should be a skill that lets you start link artes at the beginning of a spell instead at the end. That should allow you to go right into her mystic arte instead of having to wait until the spell is finished.

I think there is another skill that delays the end of overlimit as long as an arcane or link arte is being used or something like that.

FSLink

Banned
I believe there should be a skill that lets you start link artes at the beginning of a spell instead at the end. That should allow you to go right into her mystic arte instead of having to wait until the spell is finished.

I think there is another skill that delays the end of overlimit as long as an arcane or link arte is being used or something like that.

I have it but it doesn't work for activating MAs. Is that only in Xillia 2 due to the Special Skill being unlocked in that game?

Holmes

The chest you missed in the room where you were climbing the boxes - there's a box in the corner that you can move so you can reach the chest that you missed. :p Anyway I have work in the morning and it's already passed my bedtime so I can't keep watching, but was cool seeing someone playing Elize cause I never really did myself. Just seems useless to link her with Milla, and Milla just stands around doing nothing.

Alucrid

Banned

I don't think I've ever changed artes mid battle.

demidar

I'm almost at the end of the game and just using Jude's default arts and haven't died yet... lol no point in changing them

I'd probably die of boredom if I didn't change artes or characters regularly. Right now I'm maining Leia, I think I prefer her over playing as Jude because I like staff weapons.

I'd probably die of boredom if I didn't change artes or characters lately. Right now I'm maining Leia, I think I prefer her over playing as Jude because I like staff weapons.

I'm just spamming searing vortex or whatever it's called, his default aoe heal and the punching forward arte he started with.. sadly thats all normal requires. I can't wait for unknown

About to start, what is the generally recommended battle difficulty should I be playing at? Can you/should you change it around like in Graces F when you need to to unlock things?

Guys if you want to know how many sub events you've completed, don't count them, just check the records menu! It's like the third stat down or something. You can also check the counts on character special ability usage and a whole bunch of other stuff

About an hour in and I gotta say, I am absolutely loving the design of Fenmont. It's really got that "night town" atmosphere down along with a cool fantasy feel. Really like the glowing trees everywhere.

Combat feels a bit stiffer than I would like, but I'll get used to it.

I have it but it doesn't work for activating MAs. Is that only in Xillia 2 due to the Special Skill being unlocked in that game?

Hm, is her arcane arte hitting the enemy? That's her problem with her arcane arte, it's hit range isn't that wide and you can't move it around.

I'm sure I gotten it off before while playing the JP version though since I would run through a bunch of link artes and then finish it off with the mystic arte during an overlimit.

MilkBeard

About to start, what is the generally recommended battle difficulty should I be playing at? Can you/should you change it around like in Graces F when you need to to unlock things?

Moderate is a good balance. The only issue I have with the Hard setting is that it just takes longer to beat normal enemies. Perhaps it just wants me to grind longer, but I don't feel like it.
However, Moderate in Xillia is a bit easier than Moderate in Graces f.

MilkBeard

About an hour in and I gotta say, I am absolutely loving the design of Fenmont. It's really got that "night town" atmosphere down along with a cool fantasy feel. Really like the glowing trees everywhere.

Combat feels a bit stiffer than I would like, but I'll get used to it.

Yeah, actually a lot of the towns/cities in this game have great design. Most of them I usually stop to enjoy the designs, and that's saying something about the design quality because Xillia isn't really a technical marvel. It's dat artistic design.

As for the combat, I agree, it's a bit more stiff, especially coming off of Graces. I've gotten used to it, but I still REALLY miss the side step. Should be mandatory in Tales (IMO).

MilkBeard

Did anyone else notice that Cline's manor is the manor from Graces F ? wow

I honestly don't get why people think this. It's not exactly the same...I promise. Perhaps they used the same model but the bottom floor has a different shape and the 'skin' is completely different.

EDIT: Also...it's kind of silly to expect developers to make every single room/building design from scratch...reusing designs is what keeps, for example, Tales of games from exploding in budget as opposed to other series that sell millions and still don't turn a profit.

Top Bottom