• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kinda wish mystic artes were more... fleshed out? Makes zero sense that there aren't linked mystic artes imo.

What does jude's skill something pivot 2 do? It says it increases the 'window' of activation by 3 seconds... but i don't feel like its easier to trigger the move.

Soriku

Are there Jude-specific or Milla-specific subquests/side events in this game? Does it really matter which side you do them on?

ohlawd

Oh man, I got Leia in the maid outfit, with the half-frame glasses and pigtails moé-topknot.

This is the best thing that has been bestowed upon my life.
Yo where do I get the maid outfit? My goddess needs new duds.

Am I the only one who thinks Leia's crawl animation was a waste? She could have been crawling on all fours. Fucking Bamco.

Just got the game from 2game (5 days from ordering to shipment to AT) and to my surprise it was the Day One edition aswell. I am sure I will like that game but since I can't play until early october I will linger around here and ask questions. I am curious how the game will hold up against my favourite Tales of Symphonia (first game I played in the series). Graces was fun but I always thought it is missing something and it got rather boring in the end.

Voror

Ahhhh, I should really tell you guys to equip Spell End/Quick Cast on Rowen and just have him use Splash over and over with the 1-Damage skill when you get it in order to level up really fast like I did. You just sit there pressing one button, set everyone else to not attack, and then you can rack up the XP combo bonus with a higher multiplier if you do it right. It's not hard at all. For serious.

Additionally you can do it with Milla's... uh, whatever Negative Holder is called in English. 3 normal hits, then Negative holder. Rinse, repeat. And in Chapter 4, you can use her
Sylph spell with 1 Damage equipped
to rack up the combo bonus faster (video here - chapter 4 skill spoiler).

The true power gets carried over as well.

Try playing the game with Crit x3 / Damage x2 alongside that for hilarious results (+ retain half/all levels).

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I did recall seeing this on Rowen in a video that had a crazy multiplier bonus at the end. I'm not sure if Rowen has that yet in my party so I'll have to check.

denshuu

Are there Jude-specific or Milla-specific subquests/side events in this game? Does it really matter which side you do them on?

There are Jude and Milla specific skits, but as far as I can tell, not subquests. Everything that's specific to eather of them is listed under Milla Story or Jude Story. I don't think the order matters. I'm getting a lot more out of Milla's path now that I've done Jude's.

am bummed that i hav en't encountered any bazonga skits or w/e yet outside of teepo commenting about them whenever elize says she's hungry.

speaking of teepo
I'm confused with whats up with him. Exodus took his booster or w/e out which I thought turned him into a robot or something, but it seems like he's about back to his usual self outside of not calling her elly anymore o_O

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
am bummed that i hav en't encountered any bazonga skits or w/e yet outside of teepo commenting about them whenever elize says she's hungry.

speaking of teepo
I'm confused with whats up with him. Exodus took his booster or w/e out which I thought turned him into a robot or something, but it seems like he's about back to his usual self outside of not calling her elly anymore o_O

they
took data/memories. not the booster. Teepo basically IS a booster.

has there been any protagonist in a tales game with an interesting mystic artes?

seems like most are just generic combos. Well i guess milla is technically a main character in this, her one is pretty neat.

kayos90

About to get back on the dragon things after fighting the Lord of the Skies,

Ah. So you're in
Sharilton.
. Do you have enough feathres for the Artes Ball? You need 100 black feathers.

How long is this game? I just got to Xian Du at about 16 hours.

That's a pretty good length. WIth the except ion of chapter 1, each chapter should take roughly 6-10 hours.

Are there any skits in this that match "let's look for the butt" from graces f?

Probably the ones with Muzet, Jude, and Milla.

has there been any protagonist in a tales game with an interesting mystic artes?

seems like most are just generic combos. Well i guess milla is technically a main character in this, her one is pretty neat.

I liked Asbel's quite a bit actually.

Not sure if this is old news, but their Facebook page just announced that the first DLC Update is coming August 20 (US) and August 21 (EU) with butler and maid DLC costumes.

kayos90

Not sure if this is old news, but their Facebook page just announced that the first DLC Update is coming August 20 (US) and August 21 (EU) with butler and maid DLC costumes.

Didn't we alraedy get butler and maid costumes.

Oh. You misread. That post is saying the first DLC batch is out and it is promoting it, which is the butler and maid. The next one is coming on the 20th.

Holmes

I put Jude in his steward outfit along wiith a tophat and monocle. Milla in her classy costume with mini tophat and sidekick mask. Rowen in butler outfit with eyepatch (not the heart one). Leia with angel wings and halo. Alvin in cowboy hat and aviators. Elize with tiara and full-frame glasses.

RPGCrazied

And beat. 41 hours.
That final boss was epic. I never seen anyone's mystic arte but Jude's, so when your party starts arriving they use their mystic artes. So cool! I was around level 62. I went after Giaus first. I don't think it matters. But his mystic arte can and will one shot you.

About the fell arms. In order for them to gain power after a kill is to load up your clear save, beat the ex dungeon then beat the game again, then inherit the arms over? I have the arms on my new game plus, but they aren't going to get anymore powerful? I sure do hope Millia has some sub events that Jude doesn't. I ended up with 57 on Jude's side and I talked to every npc in towns and did every ! I saw. Don't know which ones I missed.

Besides fierce demon fang does Alvin get any artes or charged artes that knock an enemy to the ground? I've been using him with linked Leia but it's hard to knock foes over besides for fierce demon fang and impact cross their linked arte

Does Leia ever learn some good arte? I like controlling her in battle, but geez, I'm 25 hours in and still using the same combo because all the artes she's learnt so far suck. It's like Namco's telling me to control Jude instead.

Once she learns Soulstoke Waltz, you'll want to use nothing else unless it goes into a link arte.

About the fell arms. In order for them to gain power after a kill is to load up your clear save, beat the ex dungeon then beat the game again, then inherit the arms over? I have the arms on my new game plus, but they aren't going to get anymore powerful? I sure do hope Millia has some sub events that Jude doesn't. I ended up with 57 on Jude's side and I talked to every npc in towns and did every ! I saw. Don't know which ones I missed.

You don't need to beat the game a second time. And I believe as long as you unlock their power and buy the grade shop bonus to pass them over, they'll continue to gain in power in new game+.

Yes, Millia has some sidequests exclusive on her story.

RPGCrazied

You don't need to beat the game a second time. And I believe as long as you unlock their power and buy the grade shop bonus to pass them over, they'll continue to gain in power in new game+.

Yes, Millia has some sidequests exclusive on her story.

Ok, but you can't even do that far into the story on a new game plus. Plus I didn't inherit any levels this time around. If I wanted to start using their power and them getting stronger at the start of the game, would doing the ex dungeon on a clear save, beat the game, then buy it in the grade shop allow this?

Ok, but you can't even do that far into the story on a new game plus. Plus I didn't inherit any levels this time around. If I wanted to start using their power and them getting stronger at the start of the game, would doing the ex dungeon on a clear save, beat the game, then buy it in the grade shop allow this?

You don't need to beat the game (fight the final boss) a second time.

All you have to do is clear the EX dungeon and then buy the option in the grade shop and the fell arms plus their increased power will be available at the start when you start a new game+.

Chapter 2 Post Coliseum Spoilers:
The reveal of Alvin working for Exodus seems to have been oddly handled. I know that the game made no effort all along to hide it or make it a surprise but it seems like pretty much entire party accepted the revelation with pretty much zero comment.

I also found the scene with the big bearded guy (Jian?) weird too: The last time they saw him he was chasing after Elize and seemed to be a part of the group of villains but at the Hollow he just chats amicably with everyone.

The whole thing with Isla seems confusing as well- she spies on the them and is somehow involved with Teepo being stolen, but when you come back from the Hunting Grounds she pleads for the group to keep her secret with the excuse that all of the child kidnapping was a long time ago. Hello? What about the stuff with her betraying the group five minutes ago? Why would anyone believe that she is a changed person.

Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to some details but the way these events played out just feels off to me.

RPGCrazied

You don't need to beat the game (fight the final boss) a second time.

All you have to do is clear the EX dungeon and then buy the option in the grade shop and the fell arms plus their increased power will be available at the start when you start a new game+.

I'm confused. lol So when I beat the boss in the EX dungeon it gives you the grade shop options for a new game plus?

I'm confused. lol So when I beat the boss in the EX dungeon it gives you the grade shop options for a new game plus?

From what I read when I was playing the Japanese version, beating the EX dungeon boss unlocks the power of the feel arms as well as the grade shop option to carry them over with their power fully unlocked.

RPGCrazied

From what I read when I was playing the Japanese version, beating the EX dungeon boss unlocks the power of the feel arms as well as the grade shop option to carry them over with their power fully unlocked.

I see what your saying. Beat the EX dungeon, then save. Then go to the title screen and select new game plus. Then buy the inherit fell arms for grade, then it should work.

Is level 62 ok to start the EX dungeon?

PKrockin

I'm shocked how much Healer kicks ass in this game. It's ridulously fast. And Recovery Ring is surprisingly useful because you can just quickly link with an afflicted party member before using it. The small AOE is hardly ever a problem.

Didn't we alraedy get butler and maid costumes.

Oh. You misread. That post is saying the first DLC batch is out and it is promoting it, which is the butler and maid. The next one is coming on the 20th.

Ahh right. I didn't even download the first one, so I must have just gotten confused. Either way, new DLC on the 20th! But I guess there's nothing official about what's in the next batch?

I'm shocked how much Healer kicks ass in this game. It's ridulously fast. And Recovery Ring is surprisingly useful because you can just quickly link with an afflicted party member before using it. The small AOE is hardly ever a problem.

First time I fought a Bacura (the stone tablet guy) I got raped and the guy had about 25% of his HP left. Jude was still alive, and he soloed the rest of it by himself even when he was on auto-attack. Took a long time, but he just kept healing himself with artes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Probably impossible now, but anyone know anywhere that is still selling the Collector's Edition at normal MSRP?

Stuart444

So We finally beat the Ex Dungeons boss,

The Golden Knight, tough bastard. Fiancee went as Milla and Alvin, I went with Jude and Leia. First phase was relatively easy apart from being able to take our HP down quite quickly. Phase 2 was a pain due to the guy using magic but abusing the demon fist (the one that smashes on the ground) helped a lot.

Phase 3 was utter hell. So many life bottles were used and 3 elixirs and lots of healing items and even a few hour glasses. There were a few times when it was just Jude and sometimes when it was just Milla alive. Leia helped when Elize went down with resurrecting so I didn't have to use life bottles.

In the end though, taking down one at a time (the magic ones first), abusing the smash ground demon fist and lots of item uses helped us win :D.

So yeah, now that it's done, time to work on other trophy/title stuff for more grade. I regret not using auto-item now though since there is a trophy for that :( I've only used it 3 times according to the records.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just realized that Graces' DLC costumes were 3.99 opposed to Xillia's at 2.99. That makes me feel slightly better.
Although it's only priced this way just because most of Japan's Xillia DLC was at 300 yen. :/

I still think they should do a cheaper bundle at the very least.

Besides fierce demon fang does Alvin get any artes or charged artes that knock an enemy to the ground? I've been using him with linked Leia but it's hard to knock foes over besides for fierce demon fang and impact cross their linked arte

Beast, i think that light move, wind tempest or w/e its called, and that arcane arte does.

there might be a few more.

I wish there were more moves that got people up again, i know Steel does, anything else?

Just realized that Graces' DLC costumes were 3.99 opposed to Xillia's at 2.99. That makes me feel slightly better.
Although it's only priced this way just because most of Japan's Xillia DLC was at 300 yen. :/

I still think they should do a cheaper bundle at the very least.

Too sensible for a bundle when they give us the option of CHOICE!

are those creepy cat furry people in this game?

And lack of swimsuit in game outfits means no beach city/town :(

those and hotsprings always lead to the more goofy skits in tales games.

also, is it just me or is this one of the jrpgs where its difficult in the beginning, while getting easier? as in terms of bosses. probably due to me having soo much elemental resistant gear and skills.

Top Bottom