• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

He's just annoying-- when he goes under, though, it's really easy to dodge if you are prepared for it. You just gotta wait for him to surface for a while to hit him.

I wasn't so much having a problem with dodging his pop out attacks, my AI allies just got rocked constantly. The only attack of his that I never figured out a way to consistently dodge is when he's barrel train diving his way around the field. Even if I pulled off a Jude-port I ended up warping into his body and being hit -.-

MilkBeard

I wasn't so much having a problem with dodging his pop out attacks, my AI allies just got rocked constantly. The only attack of his that I never figured out a way to consistently dodge is when he's barrel train diving his way around the field. Even if I pulled off a Jude-port I ended up warping into his body and being hit -.-

L1 for free walking. I'm pretty sure that works.

EDIT: I played as Jude, and linked with Milla because the combos are good and easily linkeable. Make sure that Leia focuses on healing. Can't remember exactly what I did. But perhaps you're just a bit underleveled. When in doubt, level up :)

MilkBeard

old vicalle mines is a great place to grind in your 30s.

mobs give 700-1000.

there is that devil arm beast there though so be careful!

I walked in there curiously after finishing the story events in the other mine. Got wiped in the first battle. Tried it again thinking I could do it, got wiped again. Decided to come back later, ha ha.

I honestly don't get why people think this. It's not exactly the same...I promise. Perhaps they used the same model but the bottom floor has a different shape and the 'skin' is completely different.

EDIT: Also...it's kind of silly to expect developers to make every single room/building design from scratch...reusing designs is what keeps, for example, Tales of games from exploding in budget as opposed to other series that sell millions and still don't turn a profit.

But it is exactly the same, I've put 150 hours into graces f in the past month. I know this place!

MilkBeard

But it is exactly the same, I've put 150 hours into graces f in the past month. I know this place!

Left and right side of the bottom floor have different shapes than the Graces manor. Perhaps it's the same basic map, but they certainly made some tweaks to it. Plus the skin is completely different so therefore it is not exactly the same.
Bah. I don't know why this matters to me, ha ha.

EDIT: Also to provide an example, during the first visit to Sharilton there is a scene where the party is all resting/standing on the left side of the bottom floor, that place does not exist in the Graces manor.

L1 for free walking. I'm pretty sure that works.

EDIT: I played as Jude, and linked with Milla because the combos are good and easily linkeable. Make sure that Leia focuses on healing. Can't remember exactly what I did. But perhaps you're just a bit underleveled. When in doubt, level up :)

Oh I beat the boss on my first try and I'm probably over leveled after slaying 3 bacura 2 with +60% exp lol I just was so frustrated that I wanted to see if there was a trick that I missed. I pretty much did the same thing, switching to a Leia link for pixie healer link arte. Free running only helps against the barrel train if you had a good distance from him when he starts it or if he goes after the ai. Hard mode is hard though lol

MilkBeard

Oh I beat the boss on my first try and I'm probably over leveled after slaying 3 bacura 2 with +60% exp lol I just was so frustrated that I wanted to see if there was a trick that I missed. I pretty much did the same thing, switching to a Leia link for pixie healer link arte. Free running only helps against the barrel train if you had a good distance from him when he starts it or if he goes after the ai. Hard mode is hard though lol

Oh yeah Hard mode extends the HP quite a bit so that draws things out much longer. I was playing on Moderate and the boss didn't give me too much trouble.

EDIT: Although, the very next boss on the way to Xian Du gave me much more trouble. Still beat him on the first try, but my characters died many times and there was at least one point in the battle where I thought surely I was toast. But I beat him barely. I was almost out of healing items.

Voror

old vicalle mines is a great place to grind in your 30s.

mobs give 700-1000.

there is that devil arm beast there though so be careful!

Good to know about this. Thanks.

Everyone in my party is 45 right now and I just got Rowen. I think I'm going to take some time to try out everyone else more now after using just Jude. I love playing as him though.

MilkBeard

Everyone in my party is 45 right now and I just got Rowen. I think I'm going to take some time to try out everyone else more now after using just Jude. I love playing as him though.

Wow are you overleveled. You like grinding? ha ha. Where did you go to get that high of a level? The floodmeadows by Nia Khera?

ohlawd

Beat the game. Ended with 3500 grade, probably on the low side. Hyped for Xillia 2 strangely enough >_<

Just one question

if I start a NG+ without beating the dude needed to unlock the full potential of the Fell Arms, am I essentially starting from kill #0?

Or does carrying over the Fell Arms (with or without doing the full power thing) also pass my kill count?

Voror

Wow are you overleveled. You like grinding? ha ha. Where did you go to get that high of a level? The floodmeadows by Nia Khera?

Yeah, I got carried away a bit. I would have stopped sooner, but I was practicing with Jude quite a bit trying out the different moves and combos.

The materials you get in that area are great too. Now I just need to actually get a x3 multiplier that lets me use them. Still, I managed to get two of them to 60 and the Weapon Shop is at 42.

Persona7

Banned

Wow, at that point I was level 13-15 I believe.

Beat the game. Ended with 3500 grade, probably on the low side. Hyped for Xillia 2 strangely enough >_<

Just one question

if I start a NG+ without beating the dude needed to unlock the full potential of the Fell Arms, am I essentially starting from kill #0?

Or does carrying over the Fell Arms (with or without doing the full power thing) also pass my kill count?

You need to beat the boss in the EX Dungeon to even get the option to carry over the Fell Arms in the Grade Shop.

Unsure about if their power gets carried over regardless but I assume not since you never actually unlocked it in the first place.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Found this on twitter. Totally worth it.

BRl1klPCAAAyfla.jpg:large

Amazing.

ohlawd

You need to beat the boss in the EX Dungeon to even get the option to carry over the Fell Arms in the Grade Shop.

Unsure about if their power gets carried over regardless but I assume not since you never actually unlocked it in the first place.
well it says 'inherit devil's arms' for 500 Grade.

KaiserWilson

Neo Member
I walked in there curiously after finishing the story events in the other mine. Got wiped in the first battle. Tried it again thinking I could do it, got wiped again. Decided to come back later, ha ha.

I wandered in there too and wiped within ten seconds, then figured I should go back after I've got some levels under my orb.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahhhh, I should really tell you guys to equip Spell End/Quick Cast on Rowen and just have him use Splash over and over with the 1-Damage skill when you get it in order to level up really fast like I did. You just sit there pressing one button, set everyone else to not attack, and then you can rack up the XP combo bonus with a higher multiplier if you do it right. It's not hard at all. For serious.

Additionally you can do it with Milla's... uh, whatever Negative Holder is called in English. 3 normal hits, then Negative holder. Rinse, repeat. And in Chapter 4, you can use her
Sylph spell with 1 Damage equipped
to rack up the combo bonus faster (video here - chapter 4 skill spoiler).

The true power gets carried over as well.

Try playing the game with Crit x3 / Damage x2 alongside that for hilarious results (+ retain half/all levels).

Try playing the game with Crit x3 / Damage x2 alongside that for hilarious results (+ retain half/all levels).

That's basically how I cheesed my second playthrough though I didn't carry levels just had x10 exp.

Even unknown mode was silly easy, though it did made bosses pretty fun since the fights basically became mayhem.

Now I want to do that again.

Young Magus

Just one question

I think not killing the dude makes them worthless altogether, they don't kick in till you defeat him. Till then their just...there

ohlawd

^ okay guess no Devil Arm's for me. Dude is apparently the strongest boss in the game? Eff that I don't like this game enough to do that.

but enemies will also do double damage/triple crit :(

I wanna rush Milla's route as I said a while back so I guess I'm taking double rates for errthing. I wish I had enough points to take 5x exp too.

If I decide to do double xp, gald, material points, drop rate, link gauge, inherit shop levels takes about 1k.... I'm down to about 1k from 3.5

Ugh.

RyoonZ

Banned
My game finally arrived today. It can't be sent earlier because we had a holiday. Local retailer didn't stock Collector's Edition, only Day One Edition. Well, this would suffice.

jtR9IOSaflILn.jpg

My game finally arrived today. It can't be sent earlier because we had a holiday. Local retailer didn't stock Collector's Edition, only Day One Edition. Well, this would suffice.

jtR9IOSaflILn.jpg
That figure is nice.

Well, just placed my order for ToX LE. Surprised it hasn't sold out of stock on Amazon. I haven't played a tales game since Tales of Eternia on the psone. Hope this blows my mind. I want the ridiculous costumes, but don't want to pay the ridiculous price.

drakkykun

Does Leia ever learn some good arte? I like controlling her in battle, but geez, I'm 25 hours in and still using the same combo because all the artes she's learnt so far suck. It's like Namco's telling me to control Jude instead.

LuuKyK

Loving the game, have to stop now though sadly. Cant really say much now because I have to work in 4 hours, fuck me. :( I got carried away and I need some sleep. ;-; I have to say though that I laughed at some skits already:
the Echo one, the you cut on both sides one and bondage one.
:lol So good. Alvin is such an amzing character. Cant wait to play more! :D

demidar

Does Leia ever learn some good arte? I like controlling her in battle, but geez, I'm 25 hours in and still using the same combo because all the artes she's learnt so far suck. It's like Namco's telling me to control Jude instead.

I sure hope so, I've been stuck with the Soaring Vortex/Cerberus Strike/Spiral Strike/That Lance Attack Thing for a while now, though it's still fun since three of them can be used in the air.

So I was playing on hard, and I was trekking through the Hunting Grounds when I encountered some harpies. "Heh, they're gonna get beat down" I said to myself, except then they just spammed Call Friends. I eventually finished the battle after killing 50+ harpies, and I had a lot of close calls because confusion sucks balls. Why.

MilkBeard

Forget Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia is the return to grace for JRPGs for me. The story events and pacing of this game brings me back to a time when I really loved JRPGs.

Just got through the events at the coliseum. Seriously, dis is good stuff

Mr YuYu

Forget Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia is the return to grace for JRPGs for me. The story events and pacing of this game brings me back to a time when I really loved JRPGs.

Wow, Thats a bold statement to make. Interest in this game x2.

Hows the story compared to abyss? Better? or worse?

MilkBeard

Wow, Thats a bold statement to make. Interest in this game x2.

Hows the story compared to abyss? Better? or worse?

It depends on your taste. You may end up not liking it for one reason or another. My statement is in response to the video game press love of Ni no Kuni and the statements that it is 'a return to grace for JRPGs.' But I don't want to start another Ni no Kuni negativity train like I did earlier in this topic, ha ha...

Plus the fact that while Tales of Xillia has it's flaws, it's been a very enjoyable game for me so far- exciting, even. I'm excited every time I return to play the game to see what happens next. I can play through a game and simply enjoy it, but it's hard for games to give me that special kind of excitement.

demidar

Yeah, it was
crazy how cold Alvin acted there, although I'm playing from Jude's side

Bladenic

It depends on your taste. You may end up not liking it for one reason or another. My statement is in response to the video game press love of Ni no Kuni and the statements that it is 'a return to grace for JRPGs.' But I don't want to start another Ni no Kuni negativity train like I did earlier in this topic, ha ha...

Plus the fact that while Tales of Xillia has it's flaws, it's been a very enjoyable game for me so far- exciting, even. I'm excited every time I return to play the game to see what happens next. I can play through a game and simply enjoy it, but it's hard for games to give me that special kind of excitement.

Agreed. Probably my favorite JRPG this year, certainly the most fun so far.

Artemisia

Banned
So my copy will arrive tomorrow. I'll only have 9 days to play it because I'll be back at university. Do you think I'll be able to get a lot out of the game in that time?

solid mike

So my copy will arrive tomorrow. I'll only have 9 days to play it because I'll be back at university. Do you think I'll be able to get a lot out of the game in that time?

You'll be able to finish a playthrough in 25-30 hours I've heard. 9 days is more than enough. I don't know if this answers your question though.

Thoraxes

Now that was finally an awesome
Coliseum
section! I was expecting the same old same old from the past few games but boy was I wrong!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ahhhh, I should really tell you guys to equip Spell End/Quick Cast on Rowen and just have him use Splash over and over with the 1-Damage skill when you get it in order to level up really fast like I did. You just sit there pressing one button, set everyone else to not attack, and then you can rack up the XP combo bonus with a higher multiplier if you do it right. It's not hard at all. For serious.

Additionally you can do it with Milla's... uh, whatever Negative Holder is called in English. 3 normal hits, then Negative holder. Rinse, repeat. And in Chapter 4, you can use her
Sylph spell with 1 Damage equipped
to rack up the combo bonus faster (video here - chapter 4 skill spoiler).

That reminds me of decking out Rita in Vesperia to farm grade with constant "blah blah blah TIDAL WAVE".

Holmes

So any tips on getting a 100 combo? I'll equip the minimum damage on everyone and have them go nuts, but if there's an easier way, I'm all ears.

... Really? End game location spoilers:
Fresh muttons guy is in Elympios too?
Mommy, mommy, I want it!

Thoraxes

Oh man, I got Leia in the maid outfit, with the half-frame glasses and pigtails moé-topknot.

This is the best thing that has been bestowed upon my life.

Top Bottom