• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There was a sideevent thing i recall starting, something to do with spy group called 'cats' or something, from sleeping in one of the early seahaven inns.

how do i continue that?
Late, but this is a quest string with different time limits. If I recall correctly, there are four parts of this quest:

Chapter 1
Sleep at that seahaven inn, which you did.
Chapter 2
After escaping Gaius's castle, approach Shan Du's inn
Chapter 3
Talk to the fellow in the middle of the patient reception room in Tarim Medical School in Fennmont
Chapter 4
In Nia Kheria, talk to the guy in the southernmost building for a cutscene.

Okay so I just got to
cline manor, the one with dresselia and rowen

when does the story pick up big time? When do the dungeons start showing up?
You're about to go into one.

So We finally beat the Ex Dungeons boss,

The Golden Knight, tough bastard. Fiancee went as Milla and Alvin, I went with Jude and Leia. First phase was relatively easy apart from being able to take our HP down quite quickly. Phase 2 was a pain due to the guy using magic but abusing the demon fist (the one that smashes on the ground) helped a lot.

Phase 3 was utter hell. So many life bottles were used and 3 elixirs and lots of healing items and even a few hour glasses. There were a few times when it was just Jude and sometimes when it was just Milla alive. Leia helped when Elize went down with resurrecting so I didn't have to use life bottles.

In the end though, taking down one at a time (the magic ones first), abusing the smash ground demon fist and lots of item uses helped us win :D.

So yeah, now that it's done, time to work on other trophy/title stuff for more grade. I regret not using auto-item now though since there is a trophy for that :( I've only used it 3 times according to the records.
Congrats !

Phase 3 wasclearly the hard3st ...but you know that was the easiest version,right ?

You can redive and 5 more floors are now open.
And after that you ll have the normal version of this boss

Once the normal version is beaten 5 floor later youll have the hard version

Voror

Ivar is such a tool.

He irritates me immensely despite occasionally being hilarious with how goofy he acts. I'd actually like to see him perhaps develop beyond his mistrust of Jude and grow, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

And I just know
Milla giving him the key to the Lance of Kresnick
is going to come back and bite them in the ass.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, Indignation was never one of my favourite hi-ougis, but the English voice acting does sell the thing in Abyss.

I like things that are fast and look like they hurt far more than the slower, bigger affairs.

I rather like that they use new spells instead of using boring old spells.

They really should use God's Breath more instead of always using Cyclone though.

PKrockin

Ain't got shit on Jade's.

Eh, Indignation was never one of my favourite hi-ougis, but the English voice acting does sell the thing in Abyss.

I like things that are fast and look like they hurt far more than the slower, bigger affairs.
I usually agree, but I don't mind the slow buildup when the payoff is something so ridiculously huge, fast, and impactful like Jade's Indignation. I'd argue it certainly does look like it hurts like a motherfucker. Ancient Catastrophe in Vesperia on the other hand bores me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

FSLink

Banned
So any tips on getting a 100 combo? I'll equip the minimum damage on everyone and have them go nuts, but if there's an easier way, I'm all ears.

Mommy, mommy, I want it!
Attack a few times then Binding Sphere with Milla. There's a timing to it but it's an easy infinite.

Yup I prefer the BCs, Rebirth's and NDX stuff over the team Symphona MAs. Xillia and Xillia 2's are nice but the sound effects are weak.

Mystic Artes should be big epic finishing moves. I was accepting of shorter ones in Graces F because the engine enabled you to do multiple BCs every battle, but I'd much rather have the Abyss/Vesperia style long epic ultimate attacks.

Rhapsody

Banned
So I haven't used the Minimum Damage skill in Xillia yet, but is there a way to finish off enemies? Vesperia had FS, so the skill was at least fun to use.

So I haven't used the Minimum Damage skill in Xillia yet, but is there a way to finish off enemies? Vesperia had FS, so the skill was at least fun to use.

Not give everyone the skill and switch in characters?

Never really a fan of enemies having mystic artes. Waste a life bottle. Have there ever been a game where you can do shit about it?

Not get hit by the overly large red exclamation mark artes in this game?

Not activate erles break in Graces?

FSLink

Banned
Never really a fan of enemies having mystic artes. Waste a life bottle. Have there ever been a game where you can do shit about it?

I always time my Mystic Artes to hit right as they hit Overlimit, and by the time I'm done with my MA, they're usually already out of Overlimit.

FSLink

Banned
Mystic Artes should be big epic finishing moves. I was accepting of shorter ones in Graces F because the engine enabled you to do multiple BCs every battle, but I'd much rather have the Abyss/Vesperia style long epic ultimate attacks.

Considering I was able to do more than 15 MAs in one battle in Abyss/Vesperia in harder difficulties, I really don't like the long MAs as much.

i felt like i was using mystic artes like every other battle in symphonia 2 lol. At least mystic artes will always be faster than ff8 summons.

would actually be kinda cool if they made a tales game where mystic artes didn't 'pause' the game.

MilkBeard

Just realized that I hadn't mapped any skills to the right stick, and I had a bunch of new skills learned for Jude.

Holy crap. This just opened up the combos and link artes phenomenally. It's a lot more fun now because there are so many options to try and see if they link. Jude + Milla link has some great links and combos. I love using that duo the most so far.

Having the artes ball and mapping all the skills upped the battle system's intensity to nearly Graces level. I dig. I still don't have any Mystic Artes though.

Get enemy aggro, have him chase you and don't let him attack, wait for OL to finish

That was basically my strategy when a boss overlimit'd. Ran around the map, waiting for it to run out and dragging my link partner away since it they got hit, mystic artes time!

Pretty annoying considering how overlimit happy bosses get.

I guess that works. That was one thing I really liked about Vesperia. Being able to go solo and having fun with combos with that skill.

Yeah, that's how I was able to rank up high hit combos.

Vesperia was pretty different since skills were also tied to weapons so that gave some flexibility. I mean if we get a Tales game that lets you switch skills in mid-battle, we could possibly do that.

FSLink

Banned
would actually be kinda cool if they made a tales game where mystic artes didn't 'pause' the game.

Well, Rebirth's are only fatality type moves, and Destiny remake/Graces make it easily comboable from any move and they're fast.

I get what you mean though, but it'd likely lag pretty badly especially with 4 characters + enemies + spells already going on in the battle field.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just realized that I hadn't mapped any skills to the right stick, and I had a bunch of new skills learned for Jude.

Holy crap. This just opened up the combos and link artes phenomenally. It's a lot more fun now because there are so many options to try and see if they link. Jude + Milla link has some great links and combos. I love using that duo the most so far.

Having the artes ball and mapping all the skills upped the battle system's intensity to nearly Graces level. I dig. I still don't have any Mystic Artes though.

That reminds me, I'm hoping PS3 Symphonia includes an Artes Sphere and that there are 4 shortcuts.
I've been spoiled by being able to equip 16 artes at a time now.

I'm quite fine with how MAs are handled in Graces and Destiny PS2. I admit that I do like them to appear often, but I'd rather them being quick and flashy instead of too drawn out. Destiny might've been a bit overkill on how frequent they were though.

MilkBeard

Well, Rebirth's are only fatality type moves, and Destiny remake/Graces make it easily comboable from any move and they're fast.

I get what you mean though, but it'd likely lag pretty badly especially with 4 characters + enemies + spells already going on in the battle field.

I thought Graces f's Mystic Artes were perfect. I always enjoyed watching them and knew that the enemy was gonna get a serious pounding.

FSLink

Banned
That reminds me, I'm hoping PS3 Symphonia includes an Artes Sphere and that there are 4 shortcuts.
I've been spoiled by being able to equip 16 artes at a time now.

Unless there's a new Arts Sphere item unlockable, screenshots show the same L2 + R2 shortcuts from the PS2 version. Ugh.

Destiny's frequency was fine if you weren't playing on Evil or Chaos mode or abusing Flash guard/Blast Caliber Plus.

Actually, I don't remember but does using Mystic Artes in this game sets everyone to neutral afterwards?

That's one thing that bugged me in Graces, where having a mystic arte activate will cause you to stop whatever you were doing.

Rhapsody

Banned
Unless there's a new Arts Sphere item unlockable, screenshots show the same L2 + R2 shortcuts from the PS2 version. Ugh.

Destiny's frequency was fine if you weren't playing on Evil or Chaos mode or abusing Flash guard/Blast Caliber Plus.

They missed a good opportunity then. If they added that, more difficulties, and maybe auto-item, would've been kind of cool.

Bladenic

I love Rebirth's mystic artes. So awesome. In fact I love dual mystic artes/hi ougis, so this game not having them is dumb especially given the link system. Luckily Xillia 2 rectified that and they were super epic.

Anyway some updates for me :p

Got the side quest trophy. I also beat the orb side quest boss, pretty long and tough on Hard, but my favorite party of Jude + the gals is unstoppable. Leia and Elize are so awesome together. Jude's new Arte sucks but the new link Arte with Milla is AWESOME.

Got weapon shop to 95. Waiting for another x3 multiplier to finish it off and get the best weapons for everyone. Elize's best weapon is actually the one from the pink side quest, so she's already set.

And did some Coliseum matches. Pretty sweet that group battling is a straight boss rush mode. The Advanced battle has a fight against
all 4 Chimeriad. Pretty epic, but soooo much lag. Once Presa went down it was much easier and doable.
Also did advanced single with Jude and Milla, now to finish the rest of the team.

I love this game. Over sixty hours now, need to hurry up and beat the final boss haha.

you coudl pretty much spam rising falcon/phoenix or w/e its called in eternia lol.

neat thing about this game is that when party members leave for w/e reason, they come back AT your party members levels.

no need to grind them up or anything.

This game does do a lot right in fixing old jrpg annoyances.

Proven

So any tips on getting a 100 combo? I'll equip the minimum damage on everyone and have them go nuts, but if there's an easier way, I'm all ears.

This just randomly reminded me that my group managed a 100 hit combo during our initial session. The first battle when you get four party members, we ended up with just one enemy left with a lot of health (hard mode), and then all just rushed him in the corner and wailed on him. He managed to not die before we reached around 109 hits. I was laughing so hard.

The rest of that forest started kicking our ass after that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, I don't remember but does using Mystic Artes in this game sets everyone to neutral afterwards?
Well, everyone stops what they're doing when the hi-ougi happens, and then they start working again.

I get the feeling that Symphonia HD isn't going to have that many extras and will just be a remastered version of Symphonia PS2 and Ratatosk. That's part of the reason why I'm not electing to import this year.

Get enemy aggro, have him chase you and don't let him attack, wait for OL to finish
Yep, that's what I did. And that's part of the reason why I don't like the boss design in this game much. OVL happened frequently, and it ends up encouraging the player to free run around all the time as opposed to dodging the attack and keeping the battle flowing normally. I did enjoy that Tales battles were things you had to finish as fast as possible to get maximum grade, so having these lags in battle because you're encouraged to stall the battle to free run until the enemy stops what it's about to do detracts from my experience.

That's also why I'm a huge defender of free run being something that comes with a penalty like it did in Graces.

Yup I prefer the BCs, Rebirth's and NDX stuff over the team Symphona MAs. Xillia and Xillia 2's are nice but the sound effects are weak.
Not to mention Jude's Satsugeki Bukouken pales in comparison to Stahn's. It just doesn't seem like it hurts, and it relies more on spectacle as opposed to dishing out the damage it should.

Like, I really like Milla's Supreme Elements and Expendable Pride, but even then, they're kind of lacking in the SFX/selling the attack department. Contrasts a lot to the BCs/Rebirth/NDX stuff, imo. Those attacks are sold well to the player.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Listening to these in English is weird. Hahaha.

But yes, Gaius's was really good. No-nonsense. Hit hard. Sold. Edit: And I forgot what Wingul's looked like. That's a good example, too. It doesn't bullshit the player and it sells to its audience well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Listening to these in English is weird. Hahaha.

But yes, Gaius's was really good. No-nonsense. Hit hard. Sold. Edit: And I forgot what Wingul's looked like. That's a good example, too. It doesn't bullshit the player and it sells to its audience well.

I also vastly prefer how Wingul says it in English compared to the JP counterpart. meh. who am i kidding.
Long Dao is awesome regardless.

I just wish mystic artes were more... diverse. seems like everyone in xillia just has a 1v1 move.

would love a mob nuker or something else, otherwise you'd pretty much just use the one of whomever you are currently playing... but i guess in this, there really is no reason to use mystic artes on trash mobs when chaining link artes is more efficient.

Top Bottom