• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Could someone who's playing the Japanese version upload the Elle's snow song skit in Japanese? I'm wondering how bad it was originally.

I just wish mystic artes were more... diverse. seems like everyone in xillia just has a 1v1 move.

would love a mob nuker or something else, otherwise you'd pretty much just use the one of whomever you are currently playing... but i guess in this, there really is no reason to use mystic artes on trash mobs when chaining link artes is more efficient.

Millia's, Alvin's, Rowen's and Elize's are basically wide range mystic artes.

They just don't show more than one enemy during the arte itself but it does damage others.

Thorgal

Never really a fan of enemies having mystic artes. Waste a life bottle. Have there ever been a game where you can do shit about it?

Late to this but in abyss if you where fast enough you could run out of the damage zone of MA's that covered a certain radius (ex .akashic torment . imperial slaughter)

scy

Personally, Teepo's voice is pretty good. I find it rather endearing.

Which is a huge step up from what I expected.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teepo is really hit or miss in the dub. :/ I think the Elize song is the worst display for him.
That's really a shame. He's my second-favourite Tales mascot, and I will admit that part of what made his character was the flavour/tone colour of his Japanese voice, and other factors like his sarcasm and a contrast to the personality that Elise puts forth that don't seem to be apparent in the dub now that I'm watching more videos of the English version.

FSLink

Banned
That's really a shame. He's my second-favourite Tales mascot, and I will admit that part of what made his character was the flavour/tone colour of his Japanese voice, and other factors like his sarcasm and a contrast to the personality that Elise puts forth that don't seem to be apparent in the dub now that I'm watching more videos of the English version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gOHHw7dT_0 Lots of English Teepo and Elize in here.

2:28 for the "OH NO~~~" skit in English.

I also find it a problem that (major plot spoilers):
Teepo have some weird written lines where you can't easily see "I (Elize) am thinking this!" and it's more of "Elize is thinking that!". A bit of editing could have cleaned that up.

Hellix

Maybe I'm bias since I played the English version, but the Japanese VAs just don't do it for me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe I'm bias since I played the English version, but the Japanese VAs just don't do it for me.

I don't like either so... lol. Hilarious. I may be the outlier. The delivery of some of the lines in English are pretty good. Some...

scy

Maybe I need more exposure to the JP lines but I quite enjoy Teepo here. Comes across rather silly and snide at times. Outside of a few instances (Snow song), I've actually not hated listening to Teepo. Hell, some of the best lines have probably been Teepo's honestly.

At the end of the day, it's better than Mieu.

Holmes

Got exactly 50 rare monsters to hunt. Gonna start with Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, then go on to some podcasts if I'm not done by the time the album ends, and if I'm still hunting some afterwards, then... I don't wanna think about it.

FSLink

Banned
Maybe I need more exposure to the JP lines but I quite enjoy Teepo here. Comes across rather silly and snide at times. Outside of a few instances (Snow song), I've actually not hated listening to Teepo. Hell, some of the best lines have probably been Teepo's honestly.

Yeah, but Mieu's voice was spot on for the English release though. It just happens to be that he's annoying as hell, haha.

FIIIREEEEEEE~

Teepo I actually don't mind in the English release at all, but they definitely missed some part about his character dealing with spoiler reasons. A part of that is language barrier.
Like it's common for a little girl to refer to themselves with their name in Japan, not so much here. So there was like a double meaning with everything Teepo said in Japanese.

I also think it sounded a bit too human, should have gone for more of an Elmo-like voice for Teepo. :p

Got exactly 50 rare monsters to hunt. Gonna start with Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, then go on to some podcasts if I'm not done by the time the album ends, and if I'm still hunting some afterwards, then... I don't wanna think about it.

An easy way to cheese out of this is to go to the
forest where you first recruit Elize
. Go back onto the world map/big open field from the forest and then keep going back and forth between the two maps between the field and the forest.

Don't know the map's name but the forest one has the huge tree in the middle of it.

Basically, since you are switching between areas, you'll always respawn the monsters in the forest. And you can find the spinny plate monsters which count as rare monsters along with the regular rare monsters that show up.

Still slow but better than randomly going through the maps.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In Japanese, iirc, Wingul said "Are you ready? Feel the tempest! Lightning Nova!" I like how the English version handles that more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gOHHw7dT_0 Lots of English Teepo and Elize in here.

2:28 for the "OH NO~~~" skit in English.

I also find it a problem that (major plot spoilers):
Teepo have some weird written lines where you can't easily see "I (Elize) am thinking this!" and it's more of "Elize is thinking that!". A bit of editing could have cleaned that up.
Aw, they changed it to an "Aaaaah!" instead. Booooooooooo. And yes (major plot spoilers)
that's too bad they didn't do that and enforce what Tipo truly is relative to Elise. Towards the end, you should probably say how they ended up handling Tipo as a character because I always felt that out of all of the characters to be localized, he'd be the most sensitive one in terms of either getting it right or getting it wrong.

Aha, and there's always going to be one Miyuki Sawashiro, I guess.

Woah teepo is completely different in jp.

And is that Kira Yamato?
Actually, Souichirou Hoshi voiced Cline in Tales of Xillia.

Tipo: Haruna Ikezawa
Elise: Yuki Horinaka
Milla: Miyuki Sawashiro
Jude: Tsubasa Yonaga

Oh you know that's not a high bar. :V

I also think it sounded a bit too human, should have gone for more of an Elmo-like voice for Teepo. :p
I remember a loooong time ago us saying that they really should've just plain went straight for Elmo for Tipo's voice since it'd be the most suitable type.

scy

Teepo I actually don't mind in the English release at all, but they definitely missed some part about his character dealing with spoiler reasons. A part of that is language barrier.
Like it's common for a little girl to refer to themselves with their name in Japan, not so much here. So there was like a double meaning with everything Teepo said in Japanese.

Well, as far as that is concerned:
Once you find out that he's just a reflection of her thoughts, it's up to you to read them as how she truly feels but just voiced bluntly as Teepo. Maybe there's another aspect to it with the original dialogue but I don't think it's really lost here, per se, just not something told through language alone

Oh you know that's not a high bar. :V

Hey, just because the bar is sitting below the ground doesn't mean there's no bar!

I remember a loooong time ago us saying that they really should've just plain went straight for Elmo for Tipo's voice since it'd be the most suitable type.

I'd ... pay to hear that, I think? I don't actually know how I feel about this.

Edit: Not sure how I missed this but:

In Japanese, iirc, Wingul said "Are you ready? Feel the tempest! Lightning Nova!" I like how the English version handles that more.

I too quite enjoy soon dementia, DIDORIDJIRDISTINMUWANTINGWANGA LIGHTNING NOVA.

Right now, I am in Ch.2 and have six characters in my party for the first time. Just now, I discovered something fun...

Ever since getting my first encounter link, I've been trying to avoid it from happening again. But looking at the food items just now (which I barely touched since playing the game), I decided to try to maximize my EXP and Gald earnings in only three battles (because the cheap food only lasts three battles). To do that, I decided to re-enable Encounter Link.

I linked three monsters at once a few times, followed by four. It was actually really fun and made my EXP rise a lot. When having the 60% EXP food bonus and battling four monsters linked at once, it's almost like getting EXP from a boss every time.

When doing encounter linking, only five monsters are on the battlefield at once, and defeating one will make another one jump out. Unfortunately, the bonus you get for a surprise attack applies only to the first five monsters, but it was no problem. I had three healers out and I stayed linked to the 6th character (who steals items when linked), and grinding and item farming became a lot more fun, faster, and cheaper.

Actually, Teepo annoys me more than Mieu because Teepo is always talking about friendship, pals, and stuff like that. Mieu didn't. Then again, I am not too far into the game, so that may change.

I might be the only one who didn't find Mieu that bad. lol

kewlmyc

Yeah, but Mieu's voice was spot on for the English release though. It just happens to be that he's annoying as hell, haha.

FIIIREEEEEEE~

I don't know. For me, the moment the
Teepo reveal happened, it was hard for me to see him as an own character. I think the message came across fine.

Couple quick questions:

1. Is there any reason to run around talking to people in towns aside from green ! sidequest people? Because I really hate wasting time with townpeople talk

2. Any reason to use Semi-Auto over Manual?

Proven

Couple quick questions:

1. Is there any reason to run around talking to people in towns aside from green ! sidequest people? Because I really hate wasting time with townpeople talk

2. Any reason to use Semi-Auto over Manual?

Semi Auto causes you too...

A) Whenever you input an attack, your character will automatically run up to the enemy for you and attempt it. You never have to worry about which direction you're facing when you perform an attack out of free run.

B) Rather than tapping up to jump, you must hold guard while tapping up. You never have to worry about accidentally jumping when you're coming out of free run.

Right now, I am in Ch.2 and have six characters in my party for the first time. Just now, I discovered something fun...

Ever since getting my first encounter link, I've been trying to avoid it from happening again. But looking at the food items just now (which I barely touched since playing the game), I decided to try to maximize my EXP and Gald earnings in only three battles (because the cheap food only lasts three battles). To do that, I decided to re-enable Encounter Link.

I linked three monsters at once a few times, followed by four. It was actually really fun and made my EXP rise a lot. When having the 60% EXP food bonus and battling four monsters linked at once, it's almost like getting EXP from a boss every time.

When doing encounter linking, only five monsters are on the battlefield at once, and defeating one will make another one jump out. Unfortunately, the bonus you get for a surprise attack applies only to the first five monsters, but it was no problem. I had three healers out and I stayed linked to the 6th character (who steals items when linked), and grinding and item farming became a lot more fun, faster, and cheaper.

Actually, Teepo annoys me more than Mieu because Teepo is always talking about friendship, pals, and stuff like that. Mieu didn't. Then again, I am not too far into the game, so that may change.

I might be the only one who didn't find Mieu that bad. lol

How does encounter link work? I always thought its just when you engage 2 guys that are close to each other.

Celcius

°Temp. member
"The name's Teepo. Two e's, one p. Get it right!"
hahaha good times

Has anyone made a gif of that scene where
Alvin almost eats the poison in the coliseum and then pulls his head back in disgust as he looks at his plate?
If not, someone's gotta do it lol

You can link at least 3 battles if you can draw enough foes together in a field.

Does it really have to be at least three? I seem to recall doing it with two, when I did it the very first time.

But yes, just touch an enemy when other enemies are nearby, and you will fight all of the enemies in one battle. You gain all of their gald and experience.

Does it really have to be at least three? I seem to recall doing it with two, when I did it the very first time.

But yes, just touch an enemy when other enemies are nearby, and you will fight all of the enemies in one battle. You gain all of their gald and experience.

Yeah auto correct -.- was meant to say at most which somehow changed to at least *sigh*

Even then it's not very clear, might as well blow up the whole thing and try again lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I just saw a scene where Agria points a finger at Leia with a big close-up.

I have the nagging feeling she wanted to do something else.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My boyfriend is playing this game wrong. Playing on Easy mode. Not levelling the shop system. Not comboing. Free Running like a madman from what he's telling me.

I generally dislike playing Tales games with him since we usually disagree on everything, so we stopped doing it a long time ago since it was a source of irritation.

Oh dear god, why would anyone prefer the Japanese VO Teepo? That was terrible.
Because -- gasp! -- people have different preferences, and some people might enjoy the flavour that one voice has over the other!

BY2K

Membero Americo
WOAH what is up with the framerate during battles in Orda Palace? It stop to a crawl without any spells being casted!

Finalow

so, how come my party doesn't use auto-items anymore? Even when the requirements are met they just don't use them. I need it for that stupid trophy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
so, how come my party doesn't use auto-items anymore? Even when the requirements are met they just don't use them. I need it for that stupid trophy.
Do you have items in your inventory for it (ie: did you tell them to use when it gets to 0 and replenish your stock at an item shop), and did you set the items in your tactical menu for it?

Outside of that, they should be using the items when the requirements in the tactics settings are met.

Bladenic

My boyfriend is playing this game wrong. Playing on Easy mode. Not levelling the shop system. Not comboing. Free Running like a madman from what he's telling me.

I generally dislike playing Tales games with him since we usually disagree on everything, so we stopped doing it a long time ago since it was a source of irritation.

Because -- gasp! -- people have different preferences, and some people might enjoy the flavour that one voice has over the other!

Stopped reading at playing on Easy. Well jk I read it all. But playing Tales games on Easy... I just can't imagine. They just wouldn't be fun. They would be mindless button mashers. You'd get nothing from the combat.

Oh, and I beat the final boss. Epic IMO. Will write a big post on everything (hopefully) that nobody will read :p

Needless to say I loved it. Definitely a top tier Tales for me.

Jude/Milla/Elize/Leia for life. Sorry Alvin and Rowen :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I had this issue and it turned out when I brought up the battle menu I had to hit square to enable auto items. Try checking that.

I had this issue and it turned out when I brought up the battle menu I had to hit square to enable auto items. Try checking that.

Yeah, this is probably the most likely way why your AI characters aren't tossing items at each other.

Especially since it's pretty unnoticeable.

Bladenic

For the final boss
do Jude and Milla automatically use Tiger Blade Sigma
I was about to finish off the boss with Final Fury but instead got that. It was awesome :D

For the final boss
do Jude and Milla automatically use Tiger Blade Sigma
I was about to finish off the boss with Final Fury but instead got that. It was awesome :D

Did you already unlock the move first though or the arcane arte to go into it?

I haven't heard of any instances of this happening though like how in Graces, your characters say something special when they kill the final boss with a Level 3 BC.

Top Bottom